Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-21-2018, 2:18 AM

Default Any local place (SF Bay area) for anodizing aluminum alloy frame?

I have an old and worn Beretta 92 that I want to refinish. The frame is aluminum alloy so I'd like to re-anodize it. Since the frame is the serialized firearm, I hope to avoid the hassle and expense of shipping if I can. So, I'm looking for recommendations on local places in SF Bay area that can anodize aluminum frames. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:12 PM

I’ve tried looking myself and couldn't find a single shop that would accept a serialized part of the firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2018, 11:27 PM

Look up paintball companies that are into custom work. When i was really active there were numerous shops and places that would anno our markers.

Old 06-23-2018, 3:15 PM

Arnold’s Metal Finishing in Santa Clara used to have an FFL so they could anodize serialized receivers.
Old 06-23-2018, 8:55 PM
🇺🇸 jack-booted gov thug
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlamaBlanca View Post
Look up paintball companies that are into custom work. When i was really active there were numerous shops and places that would anno our markers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr View Post
Arnold’s Metal Finishing in Santa Clara used to have an FFL so they could anodize serialized receivers.
When I called last year, Arnold's said they gave up their FFL. The guy on the phone mentioned possibly getting another/renewing it, but that they would probably not deal with any "assault weapons" post the 2016 laws if they got the FFL back.

All the other paintball and metal finishers I spoke with didn't want anything to do with firearms because of the potential legal BS from the state - not because they were anti-2a, but because of the stupid gov't knocking on their door and giving them grief. I gave up trying to find a place in NorCal to do a couple projects and decided to open up my garage chemistry set. I haven't died yet. I did find a couple places out of state, but for the same price, I could do more than a few aluminum pieces at home with the different color schemes I wanted. I'm working on getting a write-up together, but I just haven't had the time.

YMMV and i'd be delighted to learn otherwise.

-------
Old 06-24-2018, 8:00 AM

Not local but a nice 3 hr drive down south. They have a FFL and do some really cool stuff.
https://www.atmfinc.com/
Old 06-24-2018, 9:29 AM

If you’re going to consider shipping, US Anodizing if probably the biggest name in the game for firearms.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post
...I could do more than a few aluminum pieces at home with the different color schemes I wanted. I'm working on getting a write-up together, but I just haven't had the time.

YMMV and i'd be delighted to learn otherwise.
Be aware that "hard anodize" (type iii) per the AR15 technical requirements comes in only two colors, black or clear. Other colors (types i and ii) are for decoration only.

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 06-24-2018, 1:51 PM
Gravity Sucks
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Be aware that "hard anodize" (type iii) per the AR15 technical requirements comes in only two colors, black or clear. Other colors (types i and ii) are for decoration only.
Very good point.

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. ‘Til Valhall’...
Old 06-24-2018, 5:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettM99 View Post
Very good point.
It's analagous to folks that think a bumper shop can also take care of engineering-grade hard chrome...it's definitely not that simple.

Heaven goes by favor.
Old 06-24-2018, 7:54 PM

Yeah, I'm looking for type III hardcoat anodizing. Looks like no way to avoid shipping for a handgun frame. Well, I guess that's way it is, and I'll just have to deal with it. Thanks for all the info and tips. Really appreciate it.
Old 06-24-2018, 8:36 PM

I've tried finding a place to ship to for hardcoat, very limited places that didn't require to go through an FFL, mostly due to the part that we live in CA, and it's got everyone's panties in a knot. Algeheny arms will help you with shipping, and they are the cheapest. But they do through batches, and do them at intervals. He was supposed to get back to me in 2 months back in Feb and I haven't got the green light to send him anything. Since then I've probably gone through about 4 different projects and settled with elite series cerkote from one of our local artists. It works just as well, shows signs of wear just fine, and you can choose the color. i highly recommend going with elite series over the h series. Everytime, I am disappointed in paint finishes, but got what was to be expected from the elite series cerekote.

All finishes wear, even hardcoat. I've purchased brand new Berettas and the rails have had slight wear on them when I bring them home.

Nothing can really beat the hardcoat finish as far as uniformity plus durability, cerkote elite is the second best with a Possibility of ion bond, and not too many people will ion bond aluminum.

I gave up this Chase long ago, after many phone calls and emails trying to find someone.

You can try Ken Genecco in San Juaquin county, I've tried calling once but never really had a conversation. That would be the strongest bet on getting your frame Anodized anywhere in northern California.

Last edited by Cpl_T-Pot; 06-24-2018 at 8:40 PM..
Old 06-24-2018, 8:45 PM

And if you don't mind waiting a while, CCR can probably accept your frame and they will outsource the anodizing, send them some other work too to make it worth it just because they do great work. I didn't want to wait and just had them refinish one of my Beretta frames. You can request them to send it to hardcoat anodizing, which will only accept through FFL. Hardcoat anodizing has an FFL and will work on private party firearms that are serialized. CCR will outsource and then send it back to you. You'll avoid having to re dros it that way, unless a local shop will help you out in that regard.

Old 06-24-2018, 9:02 PM

Do your own. Plenty if you tube videos about the process. Not real elaborate, unless you consider 5 gal buckets elaborate.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:35 PM

Thanks Cpl_T-Pot, that's great info. I do have a project that'll go to CCR for their CPII plating in a few months. I'll definitely inquire with them about hardcoat anodizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl_T-Pot View Post
And if you don't mind waiting a while, CCR can probably accept your frame and they will outsource the anodizing, send them some other work too to make it worth it just because they do great work. I didn't want to wait and just had them refinish one of my Beretta frames. You can request them to send it to hardcoat anodizing, which will only accept through FFL. Hardcoat anodizing has an FFL and will work on private party firearms that are serialized. CCR will outsource and then send it back to you. You'll avoid having to re dros it that way, unless a local shop will help you out in that regard.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up

OP, these guys are what you need, and not too far away. They've parked more than a few FAL's and 870's...so they have an FFL and an AR lower (or upper) is not their first rodeo. Good people, good prices. Hth.

Quality Plating SLC

Heaven goes by favor.
Old 06-25-2018, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrs View Post
Thanks Cpl_T-Pot, that's great info. I do have a project that'll go to CCR for their CPII plating in a few months. I'll definitely inquire with them about hardcoat anodizing.

I believe these are the people I contacted,

https://hardcoatinc.com

Make sure you call around to different places that will accept your work first and disclose the fact that it's....
-Serialized
-Your a private party without an FFL and would like to send it in for Refinishing which falls in the category of gunsmithing.
And.....
-Make sure they have an FFL
-Send it 2 day air via FedEx.

CCR plating is top!

Old 07-17-2018, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
Do your own. Plenty if you tube videos about the process. Not real elaborate, unless you consider 5 gal buckets elaborate.
This was my instinct as well. I'm curious if anyone knows any reason why DIY hardcoating (in my case for an AR lower) would be a bad idea.
Old 07-17-2018, 7:31 PM
Veteran Member

I did my own and it turned out good. I looked for someone in my area but they all closed shop a long time ago!

It's pretty easy. You need an old battery charger, someone you know has one!
Other than that get some lead sheet from the contractors supply store, battery acid, distilled water, backing soda, a thermometer, and a clear plastic container so you can watch the bubbles!

There are several youtube video's showing step by step.

I already promised my "kit" to a friend but I'm sure there are guys in you area that have already done it and have everything.

One of the videos I watched used 50% battery acid and 50% distilled water, however, battery acid is already dilluted so adjust you mixture accordingly...iow that guy should have used more battery acid!

It's cool project. Seeing the bubbles and grey coating develop on your receiver is satisfying! I ended up polishing mine but I sort of wish I kept the matte grey just as it came out of the bath!

Good luck!!
Old 07-17-2018, 7:59 PM

Hard Anodize really isn't something that is DYI. A Pistol frame was no doubt Type 3 Class 2. Standard Type 2(not hard) is what most people attempt DYI and has challenges enough. Type 3 hard is a whole different ballgame, not at all anything you're going to accomplish with a battery charger and battery acid. It requires different acid, big time current, and a recirculating chiller system for the bath. Type 2 is maybe OK for an AR receiver but no way for a Pistol frame. Rails would go away quick.
Anodizing, in general, cannot just be redone as in "retouched". The original anodize must be completely stripped first, which removes the entire thickness of the original anodizing. With standard hard ano this will be about .0015 per surface, and the surface finish of the material will be left a somewhat "eggshell" finish. The main issue is stripping and re-anodizing, regardless of the change in surface finish, will result in all holes being around .003" larger in diameter, along with slide area width, and rails being about .003 thinner. This is quite enough to kill a Pistol frame. Up to you if you really want to pursue it, but if it were me I wouldn't even consider it. Been dealing with this kind of stuff for a living for a few decades now. Hard ano just simply cannot be "redone" on anything remotely precision. Hate to see you and up with a paper weight. Ceracote time

Last edited by Dezrat; 07-17-2018 at 8:21 PM..
Old 07-17-2018, 8:33 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

If you dont find anyone local I would recommend Allegheny Gun Works.

Josh works on Berettas and can do other stuff to your frame too.

And keep in mind that the grip screw bushings are steel. Steel cannot go into anodizing bath. Beretta grip screw bushings are often staked in, so their removal may damage the threads in the frame. Again, Josh would be able to remove those without destroying the frame (and if needed will install new bushings).

I did a bunch of stuff to my frame myself (including converting it to vertec) and I had CCR apply their CeraHide finish (shinier than cerakote) but then opted out to have the frame reanodized with Type 3 Spec + by Josh.

Both CCR and AGW do excellent work but one is a coat and the other is surface conversion. For ultimate level of protection I would do Type 3 anodize and then cerakote if other-than-black color is desired.

Last edited by MosinVirus; 07-18-2018 at 12:15 PM..
Old 07-18-2018, 8:01 AM

D&B coatings in Napa refinished mine in a blend of elite series. I love it and didn't have long wait times.

I got motivated by Mosin's video on this conversion and it helped me do mine. Except I took a tad bit too much off, in which I was afraid of checkering it, so I left it smooth. I like it and with the Wilson grips and front strap checkering it provided enough texture to put a death grip on it without digging into my palm.

Old 07-18-2018, 8:16 AM

CCR did this complete refinish of this one. Cera hide slide and frame with cP2 plating on everything else. All external metal shows their dusk coloring of their CP2 plating.

I need to send it back to have them redo the frame, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Frame is Sig Black which is more of a matte color, very close to anodize, and slide is house black which is very close to the original Beretta finish.

Old 07-19-2018, 5:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
Hard Anodize really isn't something that is DYI. A Pistol frame was no doubt Type 3 Class 2. Standard Type 2(not hard) is what most people attempt DYI and has challenges enough. Type 3 hard is a whole different ballgame, not at all anything you're going to accomplish with a battery charger and battery acid. It requires different acid, big time current, and a recirculating chiller system for the bath. Type 2 is maybe OK for an AR receiver but no way for a Pistol frame. Rails would go away quick.
Anodizing, in general, cannot just be redone as in "retouched". The original anodize must be completely stripped first, which removes the entire thickness of the original anodizing. With standard hard ano this will be about .0015 per surface, and the surface finish of the material will be left a somewhat "eggshell" finish. The main issue is stripping and re-anodizing, regardless of the change in surface finish, will result in all holes being around .003" larger in diameter, along with slide area width, and rails being about .003 thinner. This is quite enough to kill a Pistol frame. Up to you if you really want to pursue it, but if it were me I wouldn't even consider it. Been dealing with this kind of stuff for a living for a few decades now. Hard ano just simply cannot be "redone" on anything remotely precision. Hate to see you and up with a paper weight. Ceracote time
Quoted for truth.

Stripping the anodizing off a Sig, Beretta, 1911 alloy, or CZ frame will permanently destroy the frame. It changes the dimensions and reduces the hardness of the surface metal enough that it isn't safe to fire.

If you want to make it look nicer then have a coating like Ceracoat applied on top of the anodizing.
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12
Old 07-19-2018, 5:42 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusedusername View Post
Quoted for truth.

Stripping the anodizing off a Sig, Beretta, 1911 alloy, or CZ frame will permanently destroy the frame. It changes the dimensions and reduces the hardness of the surface metal enough that it isn't safe to fire.

If you want to make it look nicer then have a coating like Ceracoat applied on top of the anodizing.
I guess my frame is now destroyed and I just don't know it yet.