Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-24-2012, 4:25 PM

Default Is there anyone familiar with academies on East Bay?

Hi, I am currently a college senior interesting in POST next year after graduation. There are three academies near me:

- Oakland Police Department Academy
- Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff Law Enforcement Training Center
- Alameda County Sheriff's Office Academy Regional Training Center

I have read the websites of all three, but still have a few questions:
I know that each academy is slightly different in requirement and course outline, probably culture as well.

- How are the differences of total hour requirement? I know minimum POST is near 700, but seems that each academy is different.
- How are the PT programs different? I heard that CoCo one has frequently long runs?
-Is there miscellaneous things I should know about (but not listed on websites) before applying?
- Do you guys recommend one over another academy?

Thank you
Old 10-24-2012, 5:13 PM
Calguns Addict

I think your choices are down to two. I don't think Oakland accepts unaffiliated recruits, and will only be putting their own through until they get their staffing numbers up. It really comes down to which one you can get into, since both I believe have limited unaffiliated spaces. If I was looking I would try apply to both, and take the first one that offers you a space.
Old 10-24-2012, 8:44 PM

I didn't realize CoCo and ALCO offered unaffiliated spaces. I thought the only options for those were the ones tied to the local community colleges.

Do the SO academies offer those spaces up?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Calguns Addict

As far as I know both the academies are affiliated with the local community college. I went to CoCo's but that was 30+ years ago while it was still at the college. It is still considered a regional academy and not exclusive to any agency, I believe ALCO is the same.
Old 10-25-2012, 9:25 AM

Coco will take non-affiliates, I think Alco will too. Both Alco and Contra Costa put out a highly sought after academy grad, which is important in this environment. The PT is what it is, it will be a challenge regardless. All academies will be around 26 weeks if you go full time.
Old 10-28-2012, 2:22 PM

I graduated CoCo and the above poster is correct. When you are in the process with a dept your academy and your ranking could make the difference between you and the next applicant. Message me if you want more info. Both academies are great but have pros and cons.
Old 10-29-2012, 5:48 PM

I went through the ACSO academy about 5 years ago. Great academy and squared away department. ACSO's academy is both physically and academically grueling. It's quite expensive to put yourself through, but due to the length of the academy (1,026 hours) you get alot of reps in and alot of study time. If you enjoy PT and a hefty study load, this is it. (FYI, we lost about 9 people in the first week and that was due to PT alone.) Push-ups are done at most breaks and PT sessions are about 60-90 mins long. All runs are done with rocks in your hands. Think CoCo runs with weighted PVC pipes.

I know I haven't been in this career that long, but I am to the belief that having a strong body makes a strong mind.

To sum it up, ACSO is a very militaristic academy, but big boy rules apply. A well known and very well respected academy.

**Things they don't tell you. The orientation is a b$%&#. Alot of yelling. All males must have a shaved head. The defensive tactics final is infamous.. There may be blood and some semi-consious recruits.

If you have any questions feel free to hit me up.
Old 10-31-2012, 2:11 PM

well, thank you for the information.
self-sponsor in my backup plan in case I got denied from East Bay Regional Park.

I am interesting in PT detail. I used to be a ROTC cadet, so PT should be fine...but always prefer to know the expectation ahead.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:00 AM

I graduated from coco academy and I went to alameda county for swat school. Both are good IMO. I think they have toned it down a bit since I graduated, but both tough academies. I hope I'm not offending anyone about this next opinion, but I would stay away from napa academy. Good luck!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 AM

something related...
I recently sent my application to East Bay Regional Park Police.
(didn't know there is a position open until last week)

Does anyone know which academy do they use?
Old 11-08-2012, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugiahua View Post
something related...
I recently sent my application to East Bay Regional Park Police.
(didn't know there is a position open until last week)

Does anyone know which academy do they use?
whichever one that has a spot. my guess is either oakland, alco, or coco county.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugiahua View Post
well, thank you for the information.
self-sponsor in my backup plan in case I got denied from East Bay Regional Park.

I am interesting in PT detail. I used to be a ROTC cadet, so PT should be fine...but always prefer to know the expectation ahead.
I suggest you do a ride long wth ERPPD. Make sure its the type of police work that you are looking for me. They are a squred away agency but they are a little different than the "traditional" police department.
Old 11-11-2012, 6:17 AM

EBRP has used coco in the past.