Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:27 AM

Default Featureless AW question?

Question: If I have semi-auto center fire with a collapsible stock (no pistol grip) and a flash hider would that now be a AW? For instance an M1a or Mini-14 with a stock only option and a factory flash hider.

Under the old rules this would be legal, but under the new rules would I need a BB that doesn't exist?

Or would that mean that I can register it and add a pistol while keeping my standard mag release?

Action Pistol Club
Old 06-11-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itr1275 View Post
Question: If I have semi-auto center fire with a collapsible stock (no pistol grip) and a flash hider would that now be a AW? For instance an M1a or Mini-14 with a stock only option and a factory flash hider.

Under the old rules this would be legal, but under the new rules would I need a BB that doesn't exist?

Or would that mean that I can register it and add a pistol while keeping my standard mag release?
Unless it was a registered assault weapon prior to 2017, this was never legal without a maglock, collapsible stocks and flash hiders are features just like pistol grips.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Under the old rules your center fire semiautomatic with a collapsible stock or flash suppressor would have been an AW. There would be no legal path forward under the new regulations other than removing the AW features or converting to a fixed magazine.
Old 06-11-2017, 8:30 PM
Calguns Addict

And, just so you know. There is no such thing as a "featureless AW".

If it's "featureless" it's not an AW.

If it has "features" then it's an AW.

See how that works?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture

Old 06-12-2017, 12:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Here ya go OP, knock yourself out.
Old 06-12-2017, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
And, just so you know. There is no such thing as a "featureless AW".
A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length less than 30 inches is an assault weapon without any enumerated features from PC 30515(a)(1), measured in the shortest firing configuration. Under the new regulations, muzzle appliances only count towards overall length when permanently attached where we can assume BATF standards apply using high-temperature silver solder, welding, or blind pinning plus a weld.

In practice, when using a barrel 16" or longer to avoid SBR classification this only applies to bullpups. While an actual milspec M4 is just under 30" collapsed, the extended A2 flash hider needed to meet the federal 16" barrel length requirement makes a non-SBR version over 30" collapsed.

16.5" barreled IWI Tavor SAR and X95 rifles with 16.5" barrels measure 26.1" long, with the semi-automatic X95 making length only due to a thick butt pad adding 1".

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 06-12-2017 at 8:10 AM..
Old 06-12-2017, 9:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length less than 30 inches is an assault weapon without any enumerated features from PC 30515(a)(1), measured in the shortest firing configuration. Under the new regulations, muzzle appliances only count towards overall length when permanently attached where we can assume BATF standards apply using high-temperature silver solder, welding, or blind pinning plus a weld.

In practice, when using a barrel 16" or longer to avoid SBR classification this only applies to bullpups. While an actual milspec M4 is just under 30" collapsed, the extended A2 flash hider needed to meet the federal 16" barrel length requirement makes a non-SBR version over 30" collapsed.

16.5" barreled IWI Tavor SAR and X95 rifles with 16.5" barrels measure 26.1" long, with the semi-automatic X95 making length only due to a thick butt pad adding 1".
Being less than 30" OAL is a "feature" of the rifle. But I get what you're saying.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture

Old 06-12-2017, 9:28 AM

wrong thread

Last edited by Ocguy31; 06-12-2017 at 9:33 AM..