Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-21-2013, 3:23 PM

Default Well, if you ever wondered about Glocks and Dry-Firing...

Here's what happens when you don't use a snap cap:

Heard a "Krak" instead of a "Click!" and the slide locked up. Finally got it open to see what you see here.
Old 01-21-2013, 3:46 PM

Well I guess I'll be going to Turner's for snap caps. That's strange, I've done thousands upon thousands of dry fire drills between all my Glocks and have never had any issues.

Luis Jr
Old 01-21-2013, 3:50 PM

I know a lot of people who have. Comes as a pretty rude shock.

Wonder how much this will set my shooting fund back.
Old 01-21-2013, 4:07 PM

I have never seen or heard of this being an issue before either. Guess you really do learn sumthin every day.
Old 01-21-2013, 3:58 PM

Physically impossible for the striker to blow through the billet of steel like that. If the striker could do that, I'd hate to see what a live round would do since it surely is pulsing the shell backwards as hard as it is propelling the projectile forward, which is under far more pressure than a little spring powered striker.

Good story though, I've seen it posted elsewhere, with a similar photo attached.
Old 01-21-2013, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nynvolt View Post
Physically impossible for the striker to blow through the billet of steel like that. If the striker could do that, I'd hate to see what a live round would do since it surely is pulsing the shell backwards as hard as it is propelling the projectile forward, which is under far more pressure than a little spring powered striker.

Good story though, I've seen it posted elsewhere, with a similar photo attached.
Yeah, you've seen it posted elsewhere with similar photos because it DOES HAPPEN and when it does, people post photos of the damage. The photos look similar because they're of the same damage on the same type of gun. Your conspiracy theory is ridiculous.

As to the meat of what you said, it is NOT physically impossible. Not only because you are literally looking at physical evidence of it happening, but because the two things you are comparing are completely and totally different, but pretty much in the opposite way you are assuming in your comments.

Striker: When the striker is cocked, it is separated from the back of the breech face. The gun is in battery and the slide is fixed and cannot go farther forward. Now the striker is released, and is slams into the back of the fixed breech face. These impacts can cause cracks, peening, work hardening, etc over time. The firing pin is likely hardened tool steel, and the slide is not. If the heat treat process was not done properly on this specific slide, it could be more brittle than it should be.

Ammo: When a round is fired, the soft brass case is in contact with the breech face already. There is no impact, because they are already in contact. Also different, the slide moves backwards. Yes, the case pushes backwards just as hard as the bullet is pushed forwards. However, it's a push, not an impact, and because the slide moves backwards from that push it makes it even more gentle on the breech face.

Can you tell me how thick the breech face is on a Glock? At what thickness (thinness) would you say the firing pin would crack it every time? Obviously, there IS a thickness where it would not be capable of withstanding that impact. Nobody would argue otherwise. So... what makes you so sure that the breech face of a Glock is of such thickness and strength, and not brittle enough, that it is physically impossible for this to happen despite seeing a photo that clearly demonstrates that it happened?

My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JeremyS; 01-21-2013 at 6:06 PM..
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nynvolt View Post

Not true about the rearward "pulse" against the breech face. The brass case expands upon firing and stiction keeps the brass in the chamber, not the breech face.
Old 01-21-2013, 4:00 PM

If you believe so, please inform my pistol. It seems to have missed the memo, and its ignorance has brought about a situation I find ENTIRELY disagreeable.
Old 01-21-2013, 4:00 PM
Veteran Member

Agree with above. Same pic on a page with your sn?
Old 01-21-2013, 4:07 PM

Yeah, I am calling different problem caused it...
Old 01-21-2013, 4:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Its a rare occurance but has happened. Call Glock, they will take care of it.
Old 01-21-2013, 4:14 PM

Pardon my terrible handwriting. Yes, I will call glock. No, this handgun has not seen a round go through it in about a year, as I am a poor student...but it has seen a lot of dry-fire.

Last edited by Crosseyed; 01-21-2013 at 4:23 PM..
Old 01-21-2013, 9:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosseyed View Post

Sorry to hear about your problem, but this was a great response!

Good luck with GLOCK.

WTB used AK MFER.
Old 01-21-2013, 4:12 PM

The picture is FAKE and ridiculous. The damage to that gun was not done by dry diring.
Old 01-21-2013, 4:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Google it, it happens. There are a number of reported cases, most that I found related substantial dry-fire or high round count. I'm betting that if the OP contacts Glock and sends in the slide, he'll get a replacement.
Old 01-21-2013, 4:22 PM

Old 01-21-2013, 4:45 PM
Calguns Addict

As a Glock Armorer, I have had a 34 brought to me like that. Guy was a USPSA grand master, and training for the Front Site weapons master test. When I quiered how many time he dry fired he told me his routine and how long he had been doing it. I caculated aprox 250,000 dry fires. Its rare, but it happens.
Old 01-21-2013, 4:54 PM

This pistol was a Gen 3, and so are a fair number of the other similar failures I'm seeing on google. Was there something wrong with the steel/heat treats that made them more susceptible or should I just go out and buy a couple lotto tickets?

Last edited by Crosseyed; 01-21-2013 at 5:03 PM..
Old 01-21-2013, 5:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What kind of ammo did you shoot through it?
Old 01-21-2013, 5:08 PM

As stated, this was during a dry-fire session. Pistol hasn't seen ammunition in over a year, and the last ammo it DID see was WWB 115gr, and every once in a while some 147gr JHP from federal.

No +P+ nuke loads, handloads of any kind, UZI SMG ammo, or 1000 round "Lets see if we can melt the frame!" sessions.
Old 01-21-2013, 5:15 PM

I don't see how dry firing can damage it.

Maybe is from corrosive ammunition, and not cleaning it.
Old 01-21-2013, 5:26 PM

Unless they started loading those wal-mart 100 round bulk packs of 9mm with corrosive components, I doubt it.

Even if corrosive ammunition WAS the culprit, my bore would look like the surface of the moon by the time it weakened the breech face to that extent...

I can show timestamped pictures of my barrel with my SN written next to it too, if that's required...
Old 01-21-2013, 5:39 PM

Pardon my stupid but....

What exactly am I looking at here?

I'm not exactly familiar with "broken gun" issues. You dry fired it, something happened, posted a picture, and I haven't a clue what I'm looking at nor a clue as to what happened.
Old 01-21-2013, 5:42 PM

The giant hemispherical crack above (and to the right of...and left of...) the firing pin slot is where part of the breech face bent outwards under the impact of the striker hitting it one too many times.
Old 01-21-2013, 5:50 PM

Think you can detail strip the upper?
Just curious want to see how the pin/others parts look like, if they are bent.

GL, hope Glock covers.
Old 01-21-2013, 5:53 PM

That's one solid chunk off steel. Send it to glock and they will replace it. This should not happen, you may have a bad heat treated slide. It should not be separating like that, in a circle non the less!
Old 01-21-2013, 5:55 PM
Resident Pork Rind Expert
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Here's what happens when you don't use a snap cap:

Heard a "Krak" instead of a "Click!" and the slide locked up. Finally got it open to see what you see here.
What's up with all the lint and grease(?). You mentioned in the thread you've only been dry-firing for the past year, so I am confuse. Maybe I AM a neat freak, but I just checked my glocks and they don't have lint and grease on those parts.
Old 01-21-2013, 5:58 PM

I will be leaving the slide as-is until I hear from Glock, but I have to admit I am really curious about what the striker looks like right now.
Quote:
What's up with all the lint and grease(?).
You caught me....I haven't actually cleaned the thing since I shot it last, though I have reapplied oil
Old 01-21-2013, 6:03 PM
Dates Hi-Profile Chicks
CGN Contributor

Send it back to Glock. I would be shocked if they didn't take care of you. The mass of that firing pin should not be able to break that gun. There had to be a defect in it. Did you pull the rear plate off and inspect the firing pin? I would be interested to see what that looks like.

Even if this happened to me personally, I wouldn't bother with a snap cap. This would have happened eventually in a real fire situation, and it could have been worse - if not more complicated a warranty issue. The fact that no ammo is involved makes it a slam dunk warranty claim. Not that I think glock would have given you trouble otherwise. After reading a whole book on Glocks recently, their profit margin is so high that it's a no brainer to just replace it.
Old 01-21-2013, 6:43 PM

Guess I am not practicing dry firing with my Glock 19 tonight.

Please take pictures of your Striker, we are all interested in what it looks like.
Old 01-21-2013, 6:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
Yeah, you've seen it posted elsewhere with similar photos because it DOES HAPPEN and when it does, people post photos of the damage. The photos look similar because they're of the same damage on the same type of gun. Your conspiracy theory is ridiculous.

As to the meat of what you said, it is NOT physically impossible. Not only because you are literally looking at physical evidence of it happening, but because the two things you are comparing are completely and totally different, but pretty much in the opposite way you are assuming in your comments.

Striker: When the striker is cocked, it is separated from the back of the breech face. The gun is in battery and the slide is fixed and cannot go farther forward. Now the striker is released, and is slams into the back of the fixed breech face. These impacts can cause cracks, peening, work hardening, etc over time. The firing pin is likely hardened tool steel, and the slide is not. If the heat treat process was not done properly on this specific slide, it could be more brittle than it should be.

Ammo: When a round is fired, the soft brass case is in contact with the breech face already. There is no impact, because they are already in contact. Also different, the slide moves backwards. Yes, the case pushes backwards just as hard as the bullet is pushed forwards. However, it's a push, not an impact, and because the slide moves backwards from that push it makes it even more gentle on the breech face.

Can you tell me how thick the breech face is on a Glock? At what thickness (thinness) would you say the firing pin would crack it every time? Obviously, there IS a thickness where it would not be capable of withstanding that impact. Nobody would argue otherwise. So... what makes you so sure that the breech face of a Glock is of such thickness and strength, and not brittle enough, that it is physically impossible for this to happen despite seeing a photo that clearly demonstrates that it happened?
Amen. I couldn't say it any better.

And why only Glock?

Sent from iPhone through Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2013, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbc View Post
And why only Glock?
I've seen it happen on 1911's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave Desert
At least this didn't happen when you were firing real ammo.
Totally possible that this same gun could have gone 100,000 rounds of firing real ammo without it ever happening. The striker doesn't impact the back of the breech face as hard or at all when it's slowed down by the primer.

Giving the striker/firing pin something to hit instead of bottoming out on the breech face is one of the primary reasons to use snap caps.

My YouTube Channel
Old 01-21-2013, 7:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post

Giving the striker/firing pin something to hit instead of bottoming out on the breech face is one of the primary reasons to use snap caps.
Yep ^

I find it hilarious that some people think that Glocks are somehow indestructible. They are firearms just like every other firearm. Eventually things break, especially with improper use.
Old 01-21-2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGrAM View Post
Yep ^

I find it hilarious that some people think that Glocks are somehow indestructible. They are firearms just like every other firearm. Eventually things break, especially with improper use.
Glock marketing perhaps? I seem to recall Glock claiming that dry firing was okay. But that was 20 yrs ago and my memory may be failing.
Glock 33 357SIG - Sig Sauer P250SC .40/357SIG
Glock 23 - Glock 27 .40
Glock 20 - Glock 29SF 10mm
Desert Eagle MkVII .44
Sig Sauer P220 - Sig Sauer P227R - Sig Sauer 1911R - Glock 30SF - S.A. 1911 Mil Spec .45
Old 01-21-2013, 6:49 PM

Kinda weird since you need to dry fire a Glock before you field strip it.
Old 01-21-2013, 6:57 PM

Crosseyed: Can we get the model/caliber and the approximate round count of your gen 3?

My guess is the improper heat treat caused cracking of the breech face upon normal firing. The repeated dry fire finished off the rest of the defect and pushed the whole breech area supporting the brass forward. At least this didn't happen when you were firing real ammo. Could have been worse.
Old 01-21-2013, 7:01 PM

It05deluxe I usually have a snap cap when field stripping. I was warned about this issue during a few pistol classes that had a dry fire se ssion before hand. Unless I dont have a snap cap I dont dry fire at all even when field stripping
Old 01-21-2013, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Can we get the model/caliber and the approximate round count of your gen 3?
17, 9mm. Approx 800 rounds through it, purchased NIB.

Def. going to see if Glock will give me a replacement slide. It was just a baby!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
17, 9mm. Approx 800 rounds through it, purchased NIB.

Def. going to see if Glock will give me a replacement slide. It was just a baby!
Wow, only 800, that's nuthin'! A Gen 3 9mm in a 17 should be the most trouble free Glock platform.
Thanks for letting us know of a possible problem. I'd like to hear Glock's take on this defect when you talk to them.
Old 01-21-2013, 7:21 PM

Never thought of using snap caps to field strip it. I guess I will do that from now on. I want my Glock to out last my life time.