Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 10-20-2012, 3:51 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.
Default Handgun for my wife

My wife has expressed an interest in a handgun. She has shot my .45, 9mm, .357 and rifles. All were too loud or had too much kick for her (for now). She prefers pistols over revolvers. I've decided a .22 or .380 would be a good first caliber for her. If she decides to upgrade later, the .22 can be passed down to my daughter.

Most likely, she will not be carrying this gun (LTC's in SD are hard to get). But will use it for classes, range time, zombies etc.

I did a search on pink (of course ) .22 and .380 guns to see which she liked the looks of. We will then go to a range to have her shoot them if available. I thought I would post here to see if any of the ladies here have owned/ shot any of the following. I'd like to avoid getting a firearm with known issues.

She has larger v.s. smaller hands.

The options so far in no particular order:

Taurus 738 TCP

Walther P22

Beretta U22 Neos

I have not yet done any research to see if, any, of the above are off-roster.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 10-20-2012, 5:24 PM

Casual, this is probably the most popular topic in the Women's Forum, besides pink guns.

No offense, but you are about to make the classic mistake of choosing for her. Unanimously, women say DON'T. (One priceless remark was "If you wouldn't send a man to buy you a bra, why would you let him pick your gun?"). It's all about fit, and you can't do that for her.

Here's the important thread on the topic, lots of input from women shooters, of their own experience. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=357584 But this idea is all over the Womens Forum. Search here for 'wife' or 'girlfriend' and you'll see.

All agree, the best thing for her to do is to go rent some guns without you there. Repeat until she finds one she likes. No, loves. She may surprise you. It happens.

Women here will tell you that the lady in question has to make the choice. If she thinks it's too loud, she hasn't got the right ear protection. Double her up with foamies and ear muffs. If everything has too much kick, she may need her grip adjusted. She should definitely, definitely, go to a Women's Handgun Safety class, by herself, to learn in the company of other women who are just starting out.

If she wants pink, by all means. But she could also shoot classic black. The problem with pink guns is that it limits her choices.

I shoot .380 and .40 cal and .22 for practice. .380 is very expensive for plinking and won't reliably stop an intruder. Not much under 9mm will. She can't protect the family with a .22, and you won't always be there to shoot the .45.

Please browse thru the Women's Forum on this. We've talked this through really well. In fact, if she wants to post on the forum and talk with us directly, we'd love it.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 10-20-2012, 5:39 PM

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Thanks. And yes, I know it's been discussed.

Have you owned any of the guns I linked.

Old 10-20-2012, 6:14 PM
Banned

My wife had the same issues with my guns too...other than the .22...so...I bought her a Bersa Thunder .380.
Old 10-20-2012, 6:23 PM

My wife ended up with three Bersa Thunder's. Bedroom, trunk of car and next to her lounge chair.
Old 10-20-2012, 6:29 PM

When ever we go to the range to practice with our carry guns, we unload a 4" 66-3 and a 442. People always seem to think the larger guns mine but it's my wife that shoots the magnim.
Old 10-20-2012, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman19 View Post
My wife had the same issues with my guns too...other than the .22...so...I bought her a Bersa Thunder .380.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtl View Post
My wife ended up with three Bersa Thunder's. Bedroom, trunk of car and next to her lounge chair.
Thanks. A friend bought his girlfriend a Bersa Thunder and she loves it, so that's definitely an option I hadn't thought of.

These were the ones she picked out just from pictures so before I tried to find a range with any of them, I figured I'd see if any of them were lemons and should be crossed off.

I'll add the Bersa to the list.

Old 10-20-2012, 6:35 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime

i handled the bersa thunder. didn't like it enough to rent one. just one woman's take.

i echo that your wife needs to handle guns herself.
she then needs to fire guns herself.
she needs to get her HGC.
she needs to be hands on involved.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 10-20-2012, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
i handled the bersa thunder. didn't like it enough to rent one. just one woman's take.

i echo that your wife needs to handle guns herself.
she then needs to fire guns herself.
she needs to get her HGC.
she needs to be hands on involved.
Understood and thanks for the input on the Bersa.

I'm confused... From a woman's point of view, how more should she be involved at this point? She asked me about options for a .22 caliber semi automatic pink pistol. I said that it was a personal decision but I would show her some examples of styles, sizes etc. She understands things may change 180 degrees once she shoots them. But it would seem there needs to be a starting point more than just "There's the gun case in the range, have at it".

Of the examples I showed her (different pistols and revolvers just so she could get a sense of what was possibly available), she picked the ones I linked as the initial choices that "she liked".

If I learn that the Taurus, for example, is a dud (bad, problematic etc), I won't have to worry about her even handling/ shooting that one.

Old 10-20-2012, 7:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
Understood and thanks for the input on the Bersa.

I'm confused... From a woman's point of view, how more should she be involved at this point? She asked me about options for a .22 caliber semi automatic pink pistol. I said that it was a personal decision but I would show her some examples of styles, sizes etc. She understands things may change 180 degrees once she shoots them. But it would seem there needs to be a starting point more than just "There's the gun case in the range, have at it".

Of the examples I showed her (different pistols and revolvers just so she could get a sense of what was possibly available), she picked the ones I linked as the initial choices that "she liked".

If I learn that the Taurus, for example, is a dud (bad, problematic etc), I won't have to worry about her even handling/ shooting that one.
From my observations on women ive dated, note that this process won't work if she doesn't care about the outcome.

Some people, male and female, could care less about firearms.Picking a firearm is a serious task to undertake, and it cannot be done on her behalf. If she doesn't care enough to be proactive in picking out a firearm without you metaphorically holding a gun to her head, what's going to motivate her to shoot and practice with it?

All firearms are paperweights without a skilled user. Someone who doesn't practice with a firearm is a liability to themselves and those around them, and practice costs time and money. I live in the sticks and it costs $100+ a month for me to maintain some level of defensive ability-and I ain't Rob Leatham either.Pro shooters burn thousands of rounds to get good at shooting.

I understand as a man that you want to get you girl squared away on the subject of personal defense, but ultimately its her life at stake here. She has to be the one to want to do this. If she doesn't , all that's going to happen is you'll have fun gun shopping and the weapon will promptly vanish into a drawer, never to be fired again this decade. If that's how things are going to turn out anyway, you're better off aborting this exercise.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 10-20-2012, 9:57 PM

i think that i may have misread you: i think you're responding to her request. you're trying to be helpful. however, the most helpful thing i think you can do is to say you've checked around and the consensus is that she needs to be more involved. then point her to the computer. at the end of the day if this is going to be her weapon, it needs to be her weapon of choice and she needs to understand why and what the trade offs are. ok, imo, she needs to understand that......sigh.

take her to as many gun shops as you can. have her handle as many guns as possible. take her to as many ranges as you can and have her fire as many guns as possible. let her know that you really do support her wanting to have a weapon but that you can't do it for her.....that whatever she gets she's going to need to be comfortable with it and go to a range and practice. perhaps even take a class....with or without you.
have her get that HGC!

i get your confusion. i think being clear for yourself first that she needs to be involved...more than asking you to narrow the field down for her. the most important thing you can do for her is to let her know that you support her in this and want to be of help but ultimately you can't do all the work for her.

gun ownership is more than having a gun. its a responsibility. one way of knowing that a gun owner is taking responsibility is that s/he is hands on active in deciding which gun to buy. and then going to the range and practicing with it.

ok, enough of that.

my opinion: skip the .380. there are those that will disagree with me. i find it to be a useless caliber.....there is nothing wrong with starting out with a .22 and working up. in fact, a santa clara county sheriff once told me more people are killed by a .22 than any other caliber...why? probably because it is the most owned and it is the one that most practice with. also, take a look at the resale on the bersa .380. they show up and seem hard to unload when one decides it isn't the caliber of choice.

me? i'm more a revolver woman....but i have a few of those semi-auto pistols. they're fun and i like them. but deep down in my heart i'm a revolver woman and i think my bias shows.

i want to thank you for checking here for our opinon. and especially for perservering and asking more. we're an opinionated group....both the women and men that participate here. but we're giving you our honest experience. what i'm recommending is exactly what i did when i decided to get serious re getting a good self-defense gun: lots of online research, lots of visits to gun shops to handle guns, and then renting lots of guns to see how they actually felt in my hand when i was firing them. it was surprising that what felt good in my hand in the shop was not necessarily what felt good in my hand when i fired it.....

keep the questions coming!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 10-21-2012, 7:58 AM

How about a Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm? great price and cheap ammo
Old 10-21-2012, 8:54 AM

I hated the Ruger .22 and I hated the Bersa. I have an XD9 sub and a Sig P239 9mm. Taker her out, let her rent guns and let HER be the decision maker. It does no good to buy her a gun she won't like.
Old 10-21-2012, 9:06 AM

Casual - Since you are in San Diego, you might want to visit Iron Sights in Oceanside. They seem to have the largest selection of guns to rent. She can handle several to see what fits her hands best, then rent a couple to narrow down the search. Renting can get expensive, but it's far less than buying one and not liking it.

Another suggestion is to have her attend a Women on Target event. We host one every three months at Lemon Grove gund Club (in Alpine) and run the ladies through pistol, rifle, and shotgun. In pistol, everyone starts out with a .22, but can move up in caliber when they want to. There are usually a couple female mentors (one on one coaches), including me. Next one is in January, and although it's supposedly full, there are always no-shows and she could probably get in if she just shows up. I was working with an older lady last time who absolutely did NOT want to shoot anything but a .22, but after about 20 minutes on the Ruger Mark III .22-45, she tried out my M&P and operated it like a champ.

I actually started out with a .45, and ended up dropping down to a 9 when I started IDPA. I tried out the S&W M&P, Springfield XD, Glock, Beretta, and Sig before settling on the M&P. XD was close. It's really all about the fit in your hand, and I also like the guns that have the least amount of stuff to worry about (safety, decocker, etc).

Remember, the smaller the gun, the more kick, so don't go lightweight. Smaller guns are also less accurate.
Old 10-21-2012, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
I hated the Ruger .22 and I hated the Bersa. I have an XD9 sub and a Sig P239 9mm. Taker her out, let her rent guns and let HER be the decision maker. It does no good to buy her a gun she won't like.
I'm still confused by these comments. I didn't say I was buying her a gun. I asked if any of the ladies here had shot any of the guns I linked so that I could let her know if any of the guns she's interested in are worth looking at or not. I suppose I'm guilty of doing initial research for her, but in the end, she'll be shooting, choosing the gun she likes, but we have to start somewhere with a few choices.

As I mentioned above, no sense in her considering the Taurus (for example) if they have quality issues etc.

When we buy a car, we do some research for ones in our price range, have the options we like etc. Then we go visit them in person. If we end up not liking any of the initial choices, we start over.

Last edited by Casual_Shooter; 10-21-2012 at 9:10 AM..
Old 10-21-2012, 10:16 AM

Good timing for this topic as my wife is starting to look also.

Her only current experience with a handgun is my Ruger P94 DOA. Her first time shooting it was not a good experience (bad grip = bad recoil) Once I showed her another grip, she was able to handle it but the trigger is still a bit much for her.

I've taken her to a gun shop or two and let her handle any/all she sees. The only input I've given is reputation of brand she's looking at... or "equivalent" guns to one she handled (for example, she handled the Ruger LC9, I commented that Glock 26 and Kahr CW9 might be worth handling)

The only "hard" input I've given her is don't eyeball the price too much... basically told her to spend a bit more up front to get a good quality gun rather than a marginal.

As mentioned above, find a good rental range that has a wide assortment of guns and let her try them out.

FWIW, during a CCW class, I saw a petite lady qualifying with a 45 cal Glock(21 I believe) She was able to control it VERY well.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:29 AM

I've read this thread three times and I think you're actually asking two questions:

1. Are the handguns you listed of good technical quality?
2. Which ones should your wife rent to test out and see what she likes.?

On the quality issue, you could also post on the Gunsmith's forum, certainly someone can tell you.

Regarding which guns should your wife rent, with a view to buying, we can't answer that. The quick answer is "As many as possible".

I would send her to a good range with a girlfriend (not you), and have her ask the knowlegeable staff "I'm thinking of getting a handgun to do classes, range time, zombies etc. I'd like to rent a couple to see what fits". Your wife should make it clear she is not buying anything that day. The knowledgable sales person will ask her a series of questions and make a recommendation. One of her questions should be "Have you taken a handgun safety class". I don't imagine they will rent to your wife if the answer is no. Another question the KS will ask her is "Are you interested in home defense". It makes a difference.

Technical questions are easy to answer, but a matter of opinion. And you'll get lots of opinions. Fit, size and type questions are not easy to answer and only your SO can answer them. We know you want to help, but let her be a grown-up and do this work herself. Everyone above is saying the same thing.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 10-21-2012 at 11:36 AM..
Old 10-21-2012, 2:05 PM

I have shot a Bersa 380 and 9 mm - they are sweet little guns. There is also a Sig Sauer P238 380 that is sweet to shoot - not much kick - very concealable. Here is a picture. BTW - a 380 hollow point is not ammo to take lightly. A 380 can do the job if you use the right ammo.

Last edited by vision1214; 10-21-2012 at 2:15 PM..
Old 10-21-2012, 4:08 PM

Casual shooter - the only one of the 3 you listed that I have tried, is the Walther. It was an older gun (circa 1980) before, some will say, is became a bad gun. I really didn't get a warm fuzzy from it but it was old. I would take her to the gun shop to the rental area and just let her hold the guns and rent the ones that feel good in her hand. A 380 isn't a bad choice just use hollow points. The bersa is an inexpensive gun but my friend loves her 380 and 9mm and I have never seen it give her problems.....the sig is a good choice for a 380. I believe S&W has a 380 semi.....only thing is, as I am sure you know, the ammo is more expensive than 9mm.

Hope she finds what she likes and if she wants pink - go for it lol

Last edited by vision1214; 10-21-2012 at 4:10 PM..
Old 10-21-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I'm still confused by these comments. I didn't say I was buying her a gun. I asked if any of the ladies here had shot any of the guns I linked so that I could let her know if any of the guns she's interested in are worth looking at or not. I suppose I'm guilty of doing initial research for her, but in the end, she'll be shooting, choosing the gun she likes, but we have to start somewhere with a few choices.

As I mentioned above, no sense in her considering the Taurus (for example) if they have quality issues etc.

When we buy a car, we do some research for ones in our price range, have the options we like etc. Then we go visit them in person. If we end up not liking any of the initial choices, we start over.

Casual, don't get hung up on responses....i think most have not gotten past your first post and me/we made assumptions based on past experience with other male posters. i think you've explained things well enough and it should be understood that you're only doing preliminary research and your wife will now become "hands on" re more research, handling of guns, and firing guns so that she can make her own informed choice.

i think the reason it is suggested that a girlfriend and not you accompany her on her gun expedition is because most gun store employees will end up talking to you instead of to her. its something the women of calguns have experienced. time and time and time again. personally, i'd rather go in by myself.

having said that, i have a male friend that i relied upon to help with research and to point me in the right direction.....however, i did 90% of it myself with him available as a resource. he also went with me to the range to rent guns and brought a few of his own along for me to try. however, he was absolutely clear as was i that i was making my own decisions. he thought i should get a ruger sp101.....i did not and didn't.

reading your subsequent posts i now understand your original post. it also sounds like you and your wife have an established method and pattern for shopping for big ticket and/or important items. i like to think that rather than narrowing the field down for her, you did what my friend did: you've given her a starting point for her own involvement.

also, some gun shops are more "woman" friendly than others. if you were in the SF Bay area i'd steer you and your wife directly to Eddy's in mountain view.

i hope you keep us apprised of her progress and what she actually purchases....unless she'd like to join us here herself! we'd love to have you both participate.
Quote:
Old 10-21-2012, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

This is my first time posting in the ladies area, so I hope I don't disgrace myself or this subforum.

My wife has shot all of my guns. 1911s, Glocks, Sigs, revolvers etc. She really enjoys shooting the S&W Mod 15 4". When she decided she wanted her own gun, DROS'd in her name, she ended up picking something that I would have never chosen for her.

She picked a HK USP .40cal. Now my wife is 5'3" 110lbs. Very petite. I always thought my HK USP 9mm was an awfully big gun. She shot mine and realized that she could actually manipulate it better than any other handgun and the slide was easy to pull back. That was a major concern, as she has a difficult time pulling the slide back on a lot of handguns.
We went to the range and she rented a .40 just to see if she liked it in the USP and she loved it. She didn't care for other 40's (glock, sig) but in the HK USP she didn't feel like there was much recoil.
All that being said, I'm glad I didn't pick out her first gun, because I never would have picked the right one.
Old 10-22-2012, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
Casual, don't get hung up on responses....i think most have not gotten past your first post and me/we made assumptions based on past experience with other male posters. i think you've explained things well enough and it should be understood that you're only doing preliminary research and your wife will now become "hands on" re more research, handling of guns, and firing guns so that she can make her own informed choice.

i think the reason it is suggested that a girlfriend and not you accompany her on her gun expedition is because most gun store employees will end up talking to you instead of to her. its something the women of calguns have experienced. time and time and time again. personally, i'd rather go in by myself.

having said that, i have a male friend that i relied upon to help with research and to point me in the right direction.....however, i did 90% of it myself with him available as a resource. he also went with me to the range to rent guns and brought a few of his own along for me to try. however, he was absolutely clear as was i that i was making my own decisions. he thought i should get a ruger sp101.....i did not and didn't.

reading your subsequent posts i now understand your original post. it also sounds like you and your wife have an established method and pattern for shopping for big ticket and/or important items. i like to think that rather than narrowing the field down for her, you did what my friend did: you've given her a starting point for her own involvement.

also, some gun shops are more "woman" friendly than others. if you were in the SF Bay area i'd steer you and your wife directly to Eddy's in mountain view.

i hope you keep us apprised of her progress and what she actually purchases....unless she'd like to join us here herself! we'd love to have you both participate.
Thanks... you understood my intent perfectly. And I understand and agree with your comments too.

She won't go to the range by herself and none of our female friends shoot, so I will definitely be there with her. We're also watching for a "ladies only" shooting event where they have different guns for woman to try.

I've tried to get her interested in the forum world, but it's just not her thing. I'll definitely post once she decides and purchases a gun.

Old 10-22-2012, 7:33 AM

I tried the Walther .22 at "The Gun Range" in North Highlands and I really didn't like the feel of it, the way the mag released and really disliked the fact that it jammed a LOT. They traded it out for one of the owners .22's that worked better. I don't remember what is was now.

I ended up buying a Browning Buckmark Plus UDX. It has adjustable sights and feels good in your hand with the contoured grip. http://www.guns.com/reviews/browning...ewood-udx.html

Fun little gun that likes everything but Federal ammo.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 10-22-2012, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbowhunter View Post
This is my first time posting in the ladies area, so I hope I don't disgrace myself or this subforum.

My wife has shot all of my guns. 1911s, Glocks, Sigs, revolvers etc. She really enjoys shooting the S&W Mod 15 4". When she decided she wanted her own gun, DROS'd in her name, she ended up picking something that I would have never chosen for her.

She picked a HK USP .40cal. Now my wife is 5'3" 110lbs. Very petite. I always thought my HK USP 9mm was an awfully big gun. She shot mine and realized that she could actually manipulate it better than any other handgun and the slide was easy to pull back. That was a major concern, as she has a difficult time pulling the slide back on a lot of handguns.
We went to the range and she rented a .40 just to see if she liked it in the USP and she loved it. She didn't care for other 40's (glock, sig) but in the HK USP she didn't feel like there was much recoil.
All that being said, I'm glad I didn't pick out her first gun, because I never would have picked the right one.
This is what I expect to happen. We'll try a bunch of guns and walk out with something I never would have thought of.

Old 10-22-2012, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post
I tried the Walther .22 at "The Gun Range" in North Highlands and I really didn't like the feel of it, the way the mag released and really disliked the fact that it jammed a LOT. They traded it out for one of the owners .22's that worked better. I don't remember what is was now.

I ended up buying a Browning Buckmark Plus UDX. It has adjustable sights and feels good in your hand with the contoured grip. http://www.guns.com/reviews/browning...ewood-udx.html

Fun little gun that likes everything but Federal ammo.
Excellent info. Thanks.

Old 10-22-2012, 8:57 AM

Causal shooter. I hope I wasn't one that confused you by my comments. If I did, please accept my apology. I understood your intentions from the first post. Have a good day and good luck on your wife finding the perfect gun for herself.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
This is what I expect to happen. We'll try a bunch of guns and walk out with something I never would have thought of.
Happened to me. Me and wife went shopping. Other than a small "veto" list the shop was hers to pick from. She had shot my glocks, emp, para and every other gun Ive had plus what she was exposed to in the military. Picked up and put down at least 3 dozen guns. Shot a few off the wall. All of a sudden an XD9 sub compact was in her hands. Shot a few mags, looked at me and said "THIS ONE!"

And just like that she was the proud new owner of an XD9 SC. Never in a million years would I have thought that, but it fit her hand, shot well enough to impress her and in the end she knows SHE picked it, not I picked it for her. Its her first gun that is totally hers. She is responsible for cleaning, maintenance etc. Ill help her out, but she has to identify what needs to be done. She has taken gun ownership seriously and I am really happy, as is she that she now has her own gun.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:49 PM

My sister just came over and I took pictures of her Sig P238. Money for reference of size. It is one inch wide and has an extended mag.....fits the hand perfectly. She might look at one of these.

Old 10-22-2012, 1:18 PM

My wife went w/ a Walther PPQ in 9mm. Shot an XD .40, USP .40, Wilson 1911, Glock 17 and 22, and didn't like any of them. We just bought the PPQ since I would have used it if she didn't like it, but she shoots the **** out of it, and it has 3 different backstraps (she shoots w/ the standard grips and has small hands).
Old 10-22-2012, 1:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
My wife has expressed an interest in a handgun. She has shot my .45, 9mm, .357 and rifles. All were too loud or had too much kick for her (for now). She prefers pistols over revolvers. I've decided a .22 or .380 would be a good first caliber for her. If she decides to upgrade later, the .22 can be passed down to my daughter.

Most likely, she will not be carrying this gun (LTC's in SD are hard to get). But will use it for classes, range time, zombies etc.

I did a search on pink (of course ) .22 and .380 guns to see which she liked the looks of. We will then go to a range to have her shoot them if available. I thought I would post here to see if any of the ladies here have owned/ shot any of the following. I'd like to avoid getting a firearm with known issues.

She has larger v.s. smaller hands.

The options so far in no particular order:

Taurus 738 TCP

Walther P22

Beretta U22 Neos

I have not yet done any research to see if, any, of the above are off-roster.
Years ago one of my friends owned a nice gun shop it was very busy and I used to play employee. Many guys would bring in their ladies to pick out a gun for them . What you have to do is one day go out to breakfast of brunch then go to a nice gun shop to look at the different guns and see which one feels the best to your wife. Out of the three pistols you listed I would only consider a Ruger mkIII series or a 22/45 with the nice sights . They are easy to shoot and work well and last forever plus they are easy to fix and parts are available.

Last edited by Sunday; 10-22-2012 at 1:31 PM..
Old 10-22-2012, 1:34 PM

Quote:

Read your first few sentences of your original post "I've decided...." That is where the confusion starts. You say you've decided it would be a .22 or a 380. You don't say "she wants a 380 or a .22 or a 9mm.
Old 10-22-2012, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Read your first few sentences of your original post "I've decided...." That is where the confusion starts. You say you've decided it would be a .22 or a 380. You don't say "she wants a 380 or a .22 or a 9mm.
+1. My TCP kicks WAY harder than my P16 in .40.

I do love my TCP by the way, but for recoil control caliber is not the only thing to consider and .380 may or may not be the way to go. Hell she may find a .40 that is everything she wants. Let her decide!
Old 10-22-2012, 2:38 PM

But reading the whole thread again it seems what the OP meant to say and what he actually said are a little different, and I am sure he has gotten the point. moral of the story is, based on experience, I believe she will be much happier picking out her gun and caliber than if the decision is made for her.
Old 10-22-2012, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, you're right.

Old 10-22-2012, 3:00 PM

And us on the forums have a bad habit of focusing on the mispoken part rather than the actual spirit of the post.
Old 10-22-2012, 3:05 PM

in case she hasn't seen this yet: corneredcat.com
Quote:
Old 10-22-2012, 5:06 PM

The Walther seems to get a bad rap, try the Ruger SR22 instead. It's a fun little plinker.
Old 10-22-2012, 7:09 PM

I went out and bought my own first guns. I did talk to my husband about different aspects of various guns and calibers. I ended up buying a Browning Buckmark .22lr. Very fun to shoot and the ammo is cheap. Great for a beginner. However, that being said, I bought my second gun a month later. It is a Sig Sauer .45 ACP. Ammo is more expensive. But I am more accurate with the Sig. I, too, have large hands and some of the smaller guns just don't feel right. Both of my guns are stainless steel. Just can't take a pink gun seriously.
Old 10-22-2012, 9:37 PM

From a 22 to a 45 in one month - you go girl. Which Sig did you get??
Old 10-22-2012, 9:41 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARC_Mike View Post
Happened to me. Me and wife went shopping. Other than a small "veto" list the shop was hers to pick from. She had shot my glocks, emp, para and every other gun Ive had plus what she was exposed to in the military. Picked up and put down at least 3 dozen guns. Shot a few off the wall. All of a sudden an XD9 sub compact was in her hands. Shot a few mags, looked at me and said "THIS ONE!"

And just like that she was the proud new owner of an XD9 SC. Never in a million years would I have thought that, but it fit her hand, shot well enough to impress her and in the end she knows SHE picked it, not I picked it for her. Its her first gun that is totally hers. She is responsible for cleaning, maintenance etc. Ill help her out, but she has to identify what needs to be done. She has taken gun ownership seriously and I am really happy, as is she that she now has her own gun.
She made a great choice. I love my Springfield XD9. Couldn't ask for a better gun.