Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-03-2012, 7:45 AM
Veteran Member

Default Smiths who do AR15 headspace?

I just ordered a Aero precision stripped upper and was planning on putting the barrel and bolt carrier group from a carbon 15 in the new one since it's not polymer. I hear headspace is something important to have looked at? Any suggestions or smiths in mind?

Last edited by Sturnovik; 06-03-2012 at 7:48 AM..
Old 06-03-2012, 8:07 AM

Headspace is important in anything other than a AR
Old 06-03-2012, 8:10 AM

headspace is set by the barrel extension, if your really worried about it buy a no go gauge and check it, no smith required.
Old 06-03-2012, 8:19 AM

I read mixed things as well and just installed two without headspacing. As long as you remember to tighten not loosen your barrel nut to aline holes I read it's pretty difficult to not be in spec. Mine fire great and feed ramps all lined up fine.
Fallujah had become a magnet for foreign jihadists and there were several thousand in the city who had come to make martyrs of themselves, to die while killing as many Americans as possible. James C. Roberts, "Remember the Heroes of Fallujah"

At each house I said a prayer, 'Please God get me out of this one.' When I come out of the house, I thank Him, light up a cigarette and move on to the next one. USMC Pvt. Sean Stokes, Fallujah, Iraq November, 2004.
Old 06-03-2012, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheright View Post
I read mixed things as well and just installed two without headspacing. As long as you remember to tighten not loosen your barrel nut to aline holes I read it's pretty difficult to not be in spec. Mine fire great and feed ramps all lined up fine.
the feed ramps being lined up has nothing to do with headspace, neither does how tight your barrel nut is(not that it should be loose). The guide pin on the barrel extension would affect feed ramp alignment. Op, unless your bolt or barrel are very used or very out of spec, headspace on ARs is really not an issue. Like I said before, if you feel the need just spend $30 on a headspace gauge and check it yourself.
Old 06-03-2012, 9:27 AM
Veteran Member

Yea, I mean the bushmaster barrel and BCG work fantastic, so as long as I have a gunsmith put it in, it would probally be fine? After buying that aero I realized I probally need to buy a new barrel nut since it's a new upper?
Old 06-03-2012, 9:30 AM

I've built over a dozen ar's from the ground up. Never once had to check headspace.
Old 06-03-2012, 9:42 AM
Veteran Member

Headspace is still important in an AR but the upper receiver/barrel nut has nothing to do with it. If you are swapping in a barrel and bolt that have been used together you will be fine as long as the headspace was good to begin with.

PM me for electrical work
Old 06-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

So it sounds like since there working already in the carbon that I shouldn't worry. I don't have the tools for the installation though. It an involved process?