Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2018, 7:36 AM
Veteran Member

Default Pope Francis: “There is no hell.”

Interesting read, but not surprising with this current Pope. Here’s the article in today’s news on Drudge...

Pope Francis: 'There Is No Hell'

In another interview with his longtime atheist friend, Eugenio Scalfari, Pope Francis claims that Hell does not exist and that condemned souls just "disappear." This is a denial of the 2,000-year-old teaching of the Catholic Church about the reality of Hell and the eternal existence of the soul.

The interview between Scalfari and the Pope was published March 28, 2018 in La Repubblica. The relevant section on Hell was translated by the highly respected web log, Rorate Caeli.

The interview is headlined, "The Pope: It is an honor to be called revolutionary." (Il Papa: “È un onore essere chiamato rivoluzionario.")

Scalfri says to the Pope, "Your Holiness, in our previous meeting you told me that our species will disappear in a certain moment and that God, still out of his creative force, will create new species. You have never spoken to me about the souls who died in sin and will go to hell to suffer it for eternity. You have however spoken to me of good souls, admitted to the contemplation of God. But what about bad souls? Where are they punished?"

Pope Francis says, "They are not punished, those who repent obtain the forgiveness of God and enter the rank of souls who contemplate him, but those who do not repent and cannot therefore be forgiven disappear. There is no hell, there is the disappearance of sinful souls."

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states: "The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, 'eternal fire.' The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs." (1035)

The Catechism further states, "The affirmations of Sacred Scripture and the teachings of the Church on the subject of hell are a call to the responsibility incumbent upon man to make use of his freedom in view of his eternal destiny. They are at the same time an urgent call to conversion: 'Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few.'

"Since we know neither the day nor the hour, we should follow the advice of the Lord and watch constantly so that, when the single course of our earthly life is completed, we may merit to enter with him into the marriage feast and be numbered among the blessed, and not, like the wicked and slothful servants, be ordered to depart into the eternal fire, into the outer darkness where 'men will weep and gnash their teeth.'"

Pope Benedict XVI said in a 2007 sermon, “Jesus came to tell us that he wants us all in Heaven and that Hell, of which so little is said in our time, exists and is eternal for those who close their hearts to his love.”

As for the human soul, the Catholic Church teaches that it is eternal, immortal in countless places throughout the Catechism. One instance, "Endowed with 'a spiritual and immortal' soul, the human person is 'the only creature on earth that God has willed for its own sake.' From his conception, he is destined for eternal beatitude." (1703)

Article link:
https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael...-there-no-hell

Obviously the Pope forgot about checking with the Bible first. Like Revelation 21:6-8. Or Matthew 25:31-33, 46. How about Luke 16:19-31???

We could go on and on with the many other passages that refute the Pope on this issue alone. There’s other passages that affirm that absent God, there is an existence of hell. In the Bible there’s even described degrees of punishment after death for the wicked, so why would the Pope ever allude that sinners in the afterlife would simply “vanish?” There’s a little more to it than that.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 03-29-2018, 7:48 AM
Veteran Member

We must always speak the truth. The vatican is denying that this was said and it is well known that Scalfari does not take notes. Just saying.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Don't be surprised at ANYTHING that this pope says. Alot of people were fooled when he first came on the religious world scene. Big changes occurred when he left South America and arrived in Rome.

Psalm 1
Old 03-29-2018, 7:58 PM
Waiting for Abs
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The Vatican poo-poos the reporter.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/n...-of-hell-53450
Old 03-29-2018, 8:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder2003 View Post
That may very well be “fake news,” indeed. However, the Pope himself should have come out with a vengeance denying the report. So far as of today, we haven’t heard Francis himself emphatically denying the report. FOX news reported the same story about an hour ago.

The problem is, this particular Pope has “priors” when it comes to giving out bizarre claims and /or comments.

In his defense however, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. I can’t believe he would seriously actually believe this, when the Bible is crystal clear about a heaven AND a hell. I believe the majority of the Catholic Church would never ascribe to such an ignorant claim. Then again, Francis is just another sinful man like you and me, so it wouldn’t be surprising if he really did make the claim.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 03-30-2018, 2:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Hard to imagine the Pope saying that.
Old 03-30-2018, 3:11 PM
Veteran Member

There is another thread on this subject. The Vatican made it pretty clear the Pope was misquoted. But I'm sure that really doesn't matter.

~Pope John Paul II
Old 03-30-2018, 4:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
There is another thread on this subject. The Vatican made it pretty clear the Pope was misquoted. But I'm sure that really doesn't matter.
As of today (3/30/18), there were more articles about this topic. Drudge listed about 3 of them. One title was that the Vatican was “scrambling” to grab ahold of this story. I didn’t bother to read it, but they should be outright denying the heck out of it if it’s not true. So far, I don’t see them doing that.

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 03-30-2018, 4:46 PM
From anotha motha

What a mess this Pope is.
Old 03-30-2018, 9:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

No way in hell the pope said that.
Old 03-30-2018, 9:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

i have long heard hell described as merely estrangement from god.
ever see something you want so badly but just can't have?
ever been dying of thirst, with a fountain of cool clear water just out of reach?
imagine seeing the glory and love within god's light, but forever remaining in the darkness and unable to enjoy it.
that is hell (to some).

Quote:
Hell, then, is not primarily a place where God sends people in his wrath, or where God displays anger, but rather, it is the love of God, experienced by one who is not in communion with him. The figurative, spiritual fire of God’s love is transcendent joy to the person purified and transfigured by it through communion in the body of Christ, but bottomless despair and suffering to the person who rejects it, and chooses to remain in communion with death.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-..._b_705988.html
Old 03-31-2018, 6:31 AM
From anotha motha

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
ever been dying of thirst, with a fountain of cool clear water just out of reach?
imagine seeing the glory and love within god's light, but forever remaining in the darkness and unable to enjoy it.
that is hell (to some).

^Quoting Huffing and Puffing ton Post for theology is like going to Kevin de Leon for border security strategy.
Old 03-31-2018, 7:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Red face

There is, but there's only 265 popes standing around in it, complaining, "I can't-a see-a mah house from here!"
Old 03-31-2018, 8:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
that is hell (to some).

Again, there are degrees in punishment in hell. It’s in the Bible with passages I previously mentioned.

Second, Luke 16:23-24 I think pretty much sums up that there is definately pain and “agony” to the wicked when in Hades and ultimately in the final stop, hell...

23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 03-31-2018, 8:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post
^Quoting Huffing and Puffing ton Post for theology is like going to Kevin de Leon for border security strategy.
hp is merely a vehicle for opinion, it doesn't write them.
they suck, even 8 years ago, but that doesn't mean there was never anything worth reading in it.

bashing the message because of the publisher is libtard stuff. don't do it.
if you disagree, just disagree.

i'm not even saying this is what i believe, only that the pope is not the first to say something like this.

Last edited by theLBC; 03-31-2018 at 8:31 AM..
Old 04-12-2018, 4:04 PM

I’m a Catholic Christian. And if the pope said that hell doesnt exist .... and if he really believes that, it’s doesnt change the dogma of the Church which clearly teaches the existence of hell. There have been popes who’ve had some personal heretical beliefs, but they can’t change the dogma, especially since he’s not expressing a teaching excathedra....

Hell exists, and I’m sure if he meant what he said he’d press further, but only God knows what he truly meant by it. There’s lots of Catholics who don’t believe that the devil is real and there are even some priests who don’t believe because they’ve never witnessed a genuine possession or had ongoing experience with the supernatural. That’s part of our faith, and we don’t have to dabble in the occult to believe that the devil works in our world, we only need to look out our window and see his work in action. The secular world is constantly trying to feed the narrative that religion is a hobby, that appeals to a few who need it in order to make sense of life and death and it makes life easier...that’s bull because we know as Christians, carrying our own cross and following Christ is hard and even provokes violence and vitriol from many others who don’t believe in God or in the Truth. That Christian beliefs are hateful because it is against a sexually loose lifestyle is the new narrative from Uber liberal mouths. What they don’t get is as Christians e are aware that we sin, but because of Gods grace e have been saved...but we have to make reparation for our sin in the form of obedience to God, but. Following Jesus’ example and it’s an ongoing effort, because we are not perfect. Having faith and repenting isn’t a one and done thing...it’s an ongoing effort to shift our way to Gods Way.

Last edited by Burble74; 04-12-2018 at 4:11 PM..
Old 04-12-2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burble74 View Post
I’m a Catholic Christian.
Do you know and accept the Canons of the Council of Trent?

"Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God." Martin Luther
Old 04-12-2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvau View Post
Do you know and accept the Canons of the Council of Trent?
I’m not familiar with all of the disputes. I don’t disagree that the Church has always had inner turmoil, but theologically I don’t find the current dogma to be problematic. If there’s a specific issue perhaps it would be easier for me to answer your question. The only thing I’m required to accept and believe as a Catholic is the official dogma. It can be found anywhere online as the catechism of the Church.

There are a lot of things in the Church but not everything is required believing to be Catholic. There are however important concepts that every catholic must believe however like the belief in the trinity. Or that God was fully God and fully man, a both and situation vs all spirit or all divine which some people even Catholics believe. I believe in the real presence of God in the Eucharist, which is why it is called “communion” in the first place, and I do not believe it is merely symbolic, which is also the reason that 40percent of Christ’s followers left because they couldn’t accept the “eat my flesh” (literally “chew” in the original greek scripture from the Aramaic) and Jesus didn’t correct their objection like he normally would.

It’s interesting when people ..even some cradle Catholics, don’t know if they are Christian or not because they are used to separating Protestants from Catholics , but we are all Christians. Catholic was simply the name of the universal Christianity of the time ... and it’s called Roman Catholic not because Rome conquered The Christians, but because the Christians overtook Rome when it won over the masses.

Feel free to pm me if you want...
Considering this thread topic is hell related

One question,
Do you believe in sola scriptura, Or sola fide?

Last edited by Burble74; 05-23-2018 at 7:08 AM..
Old 05-22-2018, 12:36 AM

I'm only interested in Gods word and not the Pope's opinions.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:43 AM
Calguns Addict

The bible is the source document for this information...
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 05-23-2018, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H K corporate assassin View Post
I'm only interested in Gods word and not the Pope's opinions.
Ultimately the Popes opinions are simply opinions...even then I find that article suspect, because if he truly believed there’s no hell, there’d be an uproar in the Catholic Church since if Hell doesn’t exist, that means there’s one free will to turn from God, and we know that is not true.

Also that would mean that the devil doesn’t exist because the state of the devil is separation from God.

Either way way his opinion has never been expressed ex-cathedra so there’s nothing to it, except that the pope has to have a manager or he’s gotta stop talking off the cuff if he is to avoid confusion.

The Church is the last institution to have an image consultant or brand management, which is why those who stick out the most will sometimes stick their feet in mouth, but they are not in the habit of having everyone have to like them...which can work against spreading Christianity of course...that and the internal problems whether by usurpers or stupidity of men

The Catholic Church is subject to ALL the same failings of all human institutions of power INCLUDING all the scandals ever which are not new...and by all means the church SHOULD have been destroyed BY NOW by the same men especially by those who have tried, or ran their offices afoul like some deranged popes, despite all of it, the dogma remains unaffected...

Hell still exists, God is still Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, Christianity is a holy and apostolic institution based on Christ’s foundation as he established the Church/ a new Jewish Church to be precise renamed Christianity which eventually through Tradition gave us the rest of Scripture Compiled in the Bible long after the third century...

Whatever the Pope ...any pope...does, he cannot destroy basic Christian teaching because he cannot change what Christ established.

Last edited by Burble74; 05-23-2018 at 10:03 AM..
Old 05-31-2018, 6:33 PM

Hell is just west of Nevada.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm2day View Post
Hell is just west of Nevada.
Hate to say it, but ain’t it the truth....