Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2018, 1:12 PM

Default CFARS Rejection - What does this mean?

I filed a number of guns with CFARS about a month ago. I took the same 4 photos of each gun, and filled out the form for each. After I submitted my registration, I got a confirmation email. I have heard nothing since then, until today.

This morning, I received two emails from CFARS, one each for two guns.

Each states that my registration for that weapon is being rejected, and then contains this block of text:

Quote:
As the Department has not received the requested information in these 30 days, your application has been rejected and your application fee will not be refunded. You will now need to complete a new application by June 30, 2018 to register your firearm and pay the new application fee. Refer to California Code of Regulations, title 11, section 5476(c) for more information: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...let-button.pdf
Again, I have received no notices from them between the day of submission and today, so . . . what requested information? What is this trying to tell me? I can resubmit the two guns, but it'd be nice to know what I need to correct for them to go through this time.

Thanks

Last edited by Tumerboy; 03-20-2018 at 1:14 PM..
Old 03-20-2018, 1:17 PM

It was tragic to hear of your recent boating accident.
Old 03-20-2018, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
I filed a number of guns with CFARS about a month ago. I took the same 4 photos of each gun, and filled out the form for each. After I submitted my registration, I got a confirmation email. I have heard nothing since then, until today.

This morning, I received two emails from CFARS, one each for two guns.

Each states that my registration for that weapon is being rejected, and then contains this block of text:

Again, I have received no notices from them between the day of submission and today, so . . . what requested information? What is this trying to tell me? I can resubmit the two guns, but it'd be nice to know what I need to correct for them to go through this time.

Thanks
Lets break it down.

What do you mean "I got a confirmation email"? Are you referring to the payment receipt, or "we've received your AW registration and you will be notified by mail" email? I believe you had to re-give them your email at checkout, so they may have your wrong email on your CFARS profile. Did you also check your spam folder for DOJ "incomplete" notices?

Go into CFARS and check your profile to verify your email. Also, all your pending registrations should be listed and could say "incomplete". If you click on each one, DOJ will leave comments on what needed to be fixed & send you an email.

There has been some issues with their system and workers. Maybe your reveiwer forgot to send you the "incomplete" emails?

You can use the "Issue Log" on the CFARS website to submit comments to the DOJ to let them know that you never received any "incompletes" via email. Or give them a call.
Old 03-20-2018, 2:39 PM

The email I received at checkout is the Receipt. ("This order is now complete. Transaction approved!")

I can't find any emails from CA/DOJ/CFARS/Etc. that has "Incomplete" in the subject.

However, I did just check my spam folder and found a number of other rejections, all stating the same thing as above.

My email address is correct in my CFARS profile.

I filed an "issue" with the website, I guess I'll see what (if) I hear back.

Thanks

Last edited by Tumerboy; 03-20-2018 at 2:45 PM..
Old 03-20-2018, 3:05 PM

I called the CFARS number and talked to a person who showed me where all of this information had been hidden away on the website. So I guess I now know what to do to re-register these. Just ****ty that I didn't get any of the notifications, and that the information is buried so deep in the page.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-20-2018, 3:42 PM

Quote:
I called the CFARS number and talked to a person who showed me where all of this information had been hidden away on the website.

Thanks for the help.
mind sharing where to look on the website?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1370791
Old 03-20-2018, 4:06 PM

Is it buried in the "issue log"?
Those acting in the public interest assume obligations of accountability and transparency. Retroactively redefining goals while claiming — yet refusing to disclose — some “master plan” is just the opposite. So is viciously trashing anyone who questions your judgment. -navyinrwanda
Old 03-20-2018, 4:53 PM

Oh, sorry, you're absolutely right, others should know too.

So if you haven't gotten any emails, or you just want to check on your submissions:

1) Go to the CFARS website: https://cfars.doj.ca.gov/login.do

2) Log in (you should have created a log in when you registered before)

3) Click "California Reporting Information System (CRIS)" in the upper left. This is where you went to register the first time (and hence I thought that's all it was)

4) Click "My CRIS Transaction History" in the lower right.

5) You should get a list of the weapons you've submitted, with columns for Serial Number, Make, Type, Report Type, and Status.

If a submission has been rejected, it will be marked as "reject" in the status field. My guns that were not rejected, as well as my now re-submitted guns are all marked as "In Progress".

6) To check on the status (i.e. look for admin comments), you need to manually click on the given gun's serial number, which will bring up a page with all of the information and photos submitted. Scroll down, past the photos, and look for "Admin Comment History":

I don't know if the status changes if there is an admin comment, as I only discovered this section after my guns had been rejected.

Hope that helps save someone else from having to retype all of that ****, and pay again.
Old 03-21-2018, 8:37 AM

thank you

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1370791
Old 03-21-2018, 9:18 AM

It is almost like they want you to go featuresless and ship all this.
Old 03-21-2018, 1:37 PM

After re-submitting yesterday, I got an "Incomplete" email just now.
So I went to CFARS, logged in, and checked the comment on this particular gun. The gun in question is a 9mm AR-15 Pistol, which has a 7.5" barrel, with handguards, and a flat muzzle.

The Admin has requested that I check two more boxes for features. A Second Handgrip, and a Threaded Barrel, and mark it as 5.56mm instead of 9mm.

The gun has a pinned 9mm magwell, but the receiver does say 5.56 on it. So I guess I mark it as 5.56 even though that isn't true? I had understood 'Second Handgrip' to mean second pistol grip, but after re-reading that section, they mean anything you can grab. So. . . fine, I'll check that.

But, the threaded barrel? My gun doesn't have a threaded barrel. Like, at all. It's not even pinned and welded, it's just smooth.

So I see that there's a box for "Comments," and type in a reply saying that my gun does not in fact have a threaded barrel. Once I finish typing I go to submit my response/update and . . . there's no submit button. The only buttons at the bottom are "Add Document" and "Back."

How do I update a submission per instructions, and how do I inform them when they are mistaken?

Last edited by Tumerboy; 03-21-2018 at 2:54 PM..
Old 03-21-2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
After re-submitting yesterday, I got an "Incomplete" email just now.
So I went to CFARS, logged in, and checked the comment on this particular gun. The gun in question is a 9mm AR-15 Pistol, which has a 7.5" barrel, with handguards, and a flat muzzle.

The Admin has requested that I check two more boxes for features. A Second Handgrip, and a Threaded Barrel, and mark it as 5.56mm instead of 9mm.

The gun has a pinned 9mm magwell, but the receiver does say 5.56 on it. So I guess I mark it as 5.56 even though that isn't true? I had understood 'Second Handgrip' to mean second pistol grip, but after re-reading that section, they mean anything you can grab. So. . . fine, I'll check that.

But, the threaded barrel? My gun doesn't have a threaded barrel. Like, at all. It's not even pinned and welded, it's just smooth.

So I see that there's a box for "Comments," and type in a reply saying that my gun does not in fact have a threaded barrel. Once I finish typing I go to submit my response/update and . . . there's no submit button. The only buttons at the bottom are "Add Document" and "Back."

How do I update a submission per instructions, and how do I inform them when they are mistaken?
If it's marked "under review" in red, it won't allow you to update it until the reviewer is out of the program (usually after 5 pm).
Old 04-03-2018, 4:15 PM

Just figured it was worth a follow up, after all of the back and forth, I just got my letter in the mail saying that all of the guns I logged had been approved and were officially registered now.

Just keep on it, and do all the things they say, even where it doesn't make sense. . .
Old 04-24-2018, 7:22 PM

Tumerboy,
Did you see if the online record change status as well?
From “In progress” to “Approved” maybe?
I’ve had snail mail get lost before, just saying...
Old 10-11-2018, 9:39 PM

The email was probably sent to you. It more than likely went straight into your junk mail bin and you never saw it there.

I had DOJ send me a clarification request that I never saw in any of my "regular" email in boxes either. I found the correspondence by accident when I was looking for my CFARS website password and did a search of all email for anything with the word CFARS. I then saw a bunch of emails from them....sneaky.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

This is why I was checking cfars every week during registration so I wouldn't leave anything to chance for incomplete submissions that may have caught by spam filters.