Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 04-17-2017, 7:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only volunteer RO who got a package from GSSF in the mail today! Glock is so generous!

Yup, mine showed up on the 12th, I was stunned at the speed.
Old 04-17-2017, 9:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
When I read up on it, the GSSF policy said that the range has to be a GSSF-endorsed range or something like that? Or maybe that was just for the indoor matches?
Yes, that is for indoor GSSF matches. The range for those must have Glocks on hand for rentals to be a GSSF/Glock endorsed range.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 04-18-2017, 6:10 AM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Believe it or not lat year I discussed the possibility of having an outdoor GSSF Match in San Diego with some of the GSSF cadre, and they were interested, but I wasn't interested in driving down there for 3 days with all the steel targets, and managing a third match. I just live to far away, ...

It all starts with Host A Match Application, which should answer most questions.

A few things to keep in mind is that GSSF runs matches 50 weekends out of the year, so the calendar is pretty full, and there may be a wait before you're able to get an opening (it was a 2 year process for the first Azusa match, and we went through 3 different ranges). You'll need the steel targets (2 Plate Racks, and 3 Pepper Poppers at a minimum), there is a paper option to avoid buying the steel, but I have never seen it used. You'll need to be able to produce volunteers to run the match (this is why they like to partner with ACtion Pistol Shooting Clubs). Lastly, they like the arrangement to be with a shooting club, and that club handles the relationship with the range and volunteers, so there's essentially 3 organizations involved (GSSF + Shooting Club + Range). In the case of the Azusa matches the Calguns Shooting Sports Association (CGSSA) reserves and rents the ranges from Burro Canyon.

If someone is genuinely interested in pursuing an SD match, I am more than willing to speak with them about the process of what it takes to get it started are what are the hurtles that need to be overcome based on my experience. Just PM me.

Last edited by RoundEye; 04-18-2017 at 6:14 AM..
Old 04-19-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
Believe it or not lat year I discussed the possibility of having an outdoor GSSF Match in San Diego with some of the GSSF cadre, and they were interested, but I wasn't interested in driving down there for 3 days with all the steel targets, and managing a third match. I just live to far away, ...

It all starts with Host A Match Application, which should answer most questions.

A few things to keep in mind is that GSSF runs matches 50 weekends out of the year, so the calendar is pretty full, and there may be a wait before you're able to get an opening (it was a 2 year process for the first Azusa match, and we went through 3 different ranges). You'll need the steel targets (2 Plate Racks, and 3 Pepper Poppers at a minimum), there is a paper option to avoid buying the steel, but I have never seen it used. You'll need to be able to produce volunteers to run the match (this is why they like to partner with ACtion Pistol Shooting Clubs). Lastly, they like the arrangement to be with a shooting club, and that club handles the relationship with the range and volunteers, so there's essentially 3 organizations involved (GSSF + Shooting Club + Range). In the case of the Azusa matches the Calguns Shooting Sports Association (CGSSA) reserves and rents the ranges from Burro Canyon.

If someone is genuinely interested in pursuing an SD match, I am more than willing to speak with them about the process of what it takes to get it started are what are the hurtles that need to be overcome based on my experience. Just PM me.
Chad, you've done an amazing job with organizing the Azusa GSSF matches we have here local to Los Angeles. There are "Talkers," and there are "Do'ers." I know which camp you fall into. Much respect to you for all the hard work and effort you put forth to have gotten the local GSSF matches off the ground and turning it into such successful events. You guys running the whole thing do an absolutely phenomenal job!

Last edited by liuk3; 04-19-2017 at 3:33 PM..
Old 04-19-2017, 12:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Hey Chad,

Just curious where all the photos and videos ended up from the GSSF match earlier this month?

I cant wait till November!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 04-21-2017, 4:55 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3 View Post
Chad, you've done an amazing job with organizing the Azusa GSSF matches we have here local to Los Angeles. There are "Talkers," and there are "Do'ers." I know which camp you fall into. Much respect to you for all the hard work and effort you put forth to have gotten the local GSSF matches off the ground and turning it into such successful events. You guys running the whole thing do an absolutely phenomenal job!
Thank you for the kind words, but the credit really goes to all the volunteers. They're the ones that really make it happen, I just organize and motivate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Hey Chad,

Just curious where all the photos and videos ended up from the GSSF match earlier this month?

I cant wait till November!
There were a few that were posted on Facebook by CGSSA, the rest are being reviewed for use in promotional material for the upcoming match in November. I'm sure they'll all be available in future GLOCK Reports.
Old 05-15-2017, 8:10 AM
CGSSA Director

Default Finals are up!

Congratulations to all the winners....

http://www.gssfonline.com/results/2017/2017aca.pdf
Old 05-15-2017, 2:29 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Chad. I won $50. Sweet!
Old 05-15-2017, 3:06 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

My first Master gun and 2 $50 randoms, great weekend!

Scott
Old 05-15-2017, 3:29 PM
Veteran Member

Where are y'all seeing prizes?
Old 05-15-2017, 3:47 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Where are y'all seeing prizes?
Click refresh. Your computer probably has the results cached.

Last edited by RoundEye; 05-15-2017 at 8:44 PM..
Old 05-15-2017, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Click refresh. Your computer probably has he results cached.

That's why you get the big money!!
Old 05-15-2017, 8:27 PM

Had a great time at the event. Just saw my name listed along with a random pistol drawing. Don't know what pistol I've won - but I'm thrilled just the same.
Thanks GSSF and Calguns. Looking forward to next year.
Old 05-15-2017, 8:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis9288 View Post
Had a great time at the event. Just saw my name listed along with a random pistol drawing. Don't know what pistol I've won - but I'm thrilled just the same.
Awesome, congrats!
Old 05-16-2017, 8:24 AM

Quote:
You will be getting a certificate in the mail that will allow you to order any standard Gen3 (California ) model like the G19/17 at no charge or some others like a G21 or G34/35 for a nominal upgrade fee. Average wait time for Glock to process and ship these is running about 6 months but hey, its a freebie right? If you are near San Fernando Addax Tactical is awesome to deal with on these.

Scott
Old 05-16-2017, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
You will be getting a certificate in the mail that will allow you to order any standard Gen3 (California ) model like the G19/17 at no charge or some others like a G21 or G34/35 for a nominal upgrade fee. Average wait time for Glock to process and ship these is running about 6 months but hey, its a freebie right? If you are near San Fernando Addax Tactical is awesome to deal with on these.

Scott
Thanks so much. This is great information.
I will gladly (and thankfully) wait the 6 months for the notice. I've got a Glock catalogue from GSSF - this gives me some time to do some reading and research.
A free Glock? I'm thrilled!
Old 05-16-2017, 5:02 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks so much. This is great information.
I will gladly (and thankfully) wait the 6 months for the notice. I've got a Glock catalogue from GSSF - this gives me some time to do some reading and research.
A free Glock? I'm thrilled!
Congratulations!!!

As for me - nothing... Well, I guess I'm never lucky with any sort of random drawings. Hahaha!

But then again - am happy at what I have achieved, as opposed to results last November! Looking forward to the next one...

Cheers!

WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U
Old 05-16-2017, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Looking forward to the next one...

Cheers!

SO's get prizes regardless.
Old 05-16-2017, 8:03 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
SO's get prizes regardless.
I'm volunteering next time! At the very least - the SO t-shirts!

_
Old 05-17-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Scott
+1 on Addax Tactical. They are one of the few FFLs in the Los Angeles area who are a blue label dealer (and will accept the GSSF discount coupon) and willing to accept the GSSF free pistol certificate. I have had good experiences with them.

Last edited by liuk3; 05-17-2017 at 4:28 PM.. Reason: added the word "and" in my parenthetical.
Old 05-17-2017, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Congratulations!!!

As for me - nothing... Well, I guess I'm never lucky with any sort of random drawings. Hahaha!

But then again - am happy at what I have achieved, as opposed to results last November! Looking forward to the next one...

Cheers!
You need to add Major Sub and Pocket Glock to your entries to increase your chances of random goodness!
Old 05-17-2017, 4:22 PM

Quote:
+1 on Addax Tactical. They are one of the few FFLs in the Los Angeles area who are a blue label dealer (will accept the GSSF discount coupon) and willing to accept the GSSF free pistol certificate. I have had good experiences with them.
Thanks for the tip. I'm in OC have used ProForce in Brea for Blue Label previously. Great small shop and easy transaction.
Old 05-17-2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I'm in OC have used ProForce in Brea for Blue Label previously. Great small shop and easy transaction.
Sorry I should probably clarify my previous post. Not all blue label dealers are willing to accept GSSF discount coupons or certificates. I learned this when I called around to various blue label dealers and asked them specifically if they would accept GSSF coupons/certificates. I just slightly edited my previous post to clarify accordingly. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2017, 4:51 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Sorry I should probably clarify my previous post. Not all blue label dealers are willing to accept GSSF discount coupons or certificates. I learned this when I called around to various blue label dealers and asked them specifically if they would accept GSSF coupons/certificates. I just slightly edited my previous post to clarify accordingly. Thanks.
I didn't know that the "dealers" had the right to refuse the GSSF Discount Coupons, I always was under the impression that it was a requirement of being a Blue Label Dealer. Kind of like how all FFLs must do PPTs.

As for GSSF Certificates for free pistols, they can be redeemed at any FFL. They're no different than any other FFL to FFL transfer.
Old 05-17-2017, 5:05 PM

Quote:
I didn't know that the "dealers" had the right to refuse the GSSF Discount Coupons, I always was under the impression that it was a requirement of being a Blue Label Dealer. Kind of like how all FFLs must do PPTs.

As for GSSF Certificates for free pistols, they can be redeemed at any FFL. They're no different than any other FFL to FFL transfer.
Any dealer? This is great to know.
I'll be watching the mail for the certificate. Looking forward to it and the next event.
Thanks.
Old 05-17-2017, 5:47 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Any dealer? This is great to know.
I'll be watching the mail for the certificate. Looking forward to it and the next event.
Thanks.
Any dealer that is willing to put a copy of their FFL and CFD in an envelope and mail it out to GLOCK.
Old 05-17-2017, 6:27 PM

Quote:
You need to add Major Sub and Pocket Glock to your entries to increase your chances of random goodness!

Well, I didn't win anything in the draws either. Maybe I need to bring my li'l baby girl out in November?
Old 05-17-2017, 6:48 PM

that's odd, Proforce and Addax is not on Glock's site as Blue Label.

https://us.glock.com/dealer-locator?...le_dealer-link
Old 05-17-2017, 6:57 PM

Excuse my ignorance but do you shoot both days for these events? Or can it be done in 1 day?
Old 05-17-2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfHuntar View Post
Excuse my ignorance but do you shoot both days for these events? Or can it be done in 1 day?
I shot one day only for the past two years - Saturdays.
Old 05-17-2017, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyngwind View Post

Can't remember how I found them. But they worked just fine.
They deal with Police/Guards only - allowed exception for the GSSF Blue Label. Had to show the Blue Label card to get through the door.
Great small business.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:

I think you are right. I think the issue is more with the GSSF discount coupon. I found that most of the so called blue label dealers would not honor the GSSF discount coupon when I tried to use it. I had read somewhere that Glock is not supposed to let them refuse it, but who was I to argue with them. I think the issue is that they don't make much money on blue label and GSSF discounted Glock sales.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyngwind View Post

Yeah, I noticed that Addax Tactical is not listed on the Glock website as a blue label dealer, but they do sell blue label pistols, and they will accept the GSSF discount coupon for purchase of a Glock.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
Well, I didn't win anything in the draws either. Maybe I need to bring my li'l baby girl out in November?
Absolutely. And now you know how long you have to practice for the next match! And don't forget, I have loaners. You can shoot all 8 divisions! LOL!!

Scott
Old 05-18-2017, 5:29 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Makes sense!

I got an "extra" Blue Label coupon from GSSF for this year, ie., 3 coupons for a 2-year membership, I guess it's another Glock to my 19, 22 and 34... Now which one? 10mm or 45ACP?

That said, what are the actual differences between "MASTER" and "AMATEUR" divisions?
Old 05-18-2017, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Makes sense!

I got an "extra" Blue Label coupon from GSSF for this year, ie., 3 coupons for a 2-year membership, I guess it's another Glock to my 19, 22 and 34... Now which one? 10mm or 45ACP?

That said, what are the actual differences between "MASTER" and "AMATEUR" divisions?
G30 .45acp. You can shoot this in Subcompact, Heavy Metal & MajorSub. Actually you can shoot it in every division except Pocket Glock.

Scott
Old 05-18-2017, 7:01 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Now which one? 10mm or 45ACP?

That depends, on if you or someone you know reloads, as I used to think a slow and fat 230gr .45 ACP was the way to go in those two divisions, but after shooting some super soft 10mm out of a G29 a couple of weeks ago, I am not so sure...

The real difference between the Amateur and Master divisions is the level of competition. The majority of the competitors that shoot Master anything have already won their three performance guns, so they've been on top in one division or another at least three times. Whereas Amateurs this could be one of many GSSF matches they've shot, or there very first one...
Old 05-18-2017, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
G30 .45acp. You can shoot this in Subcompact, Heavy Metal & MajorSub. Actually you can shoot it in every division except Pocket Glock.

Scott
What I learned in the April match was that you could only shoot one model for the Amateur Civilian or Competition, ie., say, I can't shoot BOTH my G19 and G22 in the Amateur Civilian.

Which could mean that for
  • Amateur Civilian = G19
  • Competition = G34 (just got it a couple of weeks back)
  • Subcompact = G26 (have an extra BL coupon - now to save for it)
  • Heavy Metal = G20 (maybe next year?)

On the other hand, I think I'd be seriously disadvantage with a G30 in Heavy Metal...

Quote:
That depends, on if you or someone you know reloads, as I used to think a slow and fat 230gr .45 ACP was the way to go in those two divisions, but after shooting some super soft 10mm out of a G29 a couple of weeks ago, I am not so sure...
Never shot a 10mm before. I guess maybe it's time... Let me see if my local range has some rentals to try.

Quote:
The real difference between the Amateur and Master divisions is the level of competition. The majority of the competitors that shoot Master anything have already won their three performance guns, so they've been on top in one division or another at least three times. Whereas Amateurs this could be one of many GSSF matches they've shot, or there very first one...
The reason that I ask is that while there are really outstanding times in the Master division; there are times that should actually be suitable for 'other' divisions, say, like the Amateur one.

That said, I see the same names across divisions with significant spread in times. I'm quite curious what _specific_ models they transition to, depending on the division.

_

Last edited by rodralig; 05-18-2017 at 11:08 PM..
Old 05-18-2017, 9:45 PM

I'd like to improve my "glock the plates" times. Are there practice matches/places in SoCal for this? For now, I use 6 inch sticky hi-vis targets at the indoor range. I put 2-4 of them on a target and just shoot fast at the farthest distance the target will move back to.

When I got to the GSSF match, those 8 inch plates at 11 yards looked really big. I'd still like to just practice on steel though.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:16 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Never shot a 10mm before. I guess maybe it's time... Let me see if my local range has some rentals to try.

The reason that I ask is that while there are really outstanding times in the Master division; there are times that should actually be suitable for 'other' divisions, say, like the Amateur one.

That said, I see the same names across divisions with significant spread in times. I'm quite curious what _specific_ models they transition to, depending on the division.
I am not sure a rental 10mm and range ammo will really show you how soft 10mm can be. You'd really need someone to load you some light loads to experience it.

The Master all have " * " next to their name, so that will tell you is they're a Master shooting as a Master, or if their an Amateur shooting as a Master. A lot of times the competition as a Master is pretty tough, so they often go for broke (especially on the plates) as they know that's their best chance of winning.

I shoot 6 guns in 7 divisions (but I'm a fan of .40 most people shoot 9mm):

Unlimited: G17 w/ RMR
Competition: G35
Master Stock: G22
Sub Compact: G27
Heavy Metal: G30
Major Sub Compact: G30
Pocket GLOCK: G42

I'm pretty happy if I can stay in the top 10 in every division that I shoot, but you really need to be top 4-5 (depending on how many Masters there are) to go home with a performance prize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinverted View Post
I'd like to improve my "glock the plates" times. Are there practice matches/places in SoCal for this? For now, I use 6 inch sticky hi-vis targets at the indoor range. I put 2-4 of them on a target and just shoot fast at the farthest distance the target will move back to.

When I got to the GSSF match, those 8 inch plates at 11 yards looked really big. I'd still like to just practice on steel though.
I am not aware of any matches where you can just shoot a plate rack. If you shoot USPSA, at least one plate rack usually turns up on a stage or two every other match or so. Check with local USPSA Clubs like LDF at Pala, DWB in Piru, ...

If you just want to shoot any steel, and not necessarily just a plate rack, the SWPL does Steel Challenge on the second Sunday of the month in Sylmar.