Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 06-03-2012, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmcdonnell View Post
I just plowed through the 14 pages of updates and bad news. I have a feeling I'll just have to wait until we move a bit east next year out to Calaveras Co. to get a CCW for myself. At least it'll be sooner than the next Sheriff election, but still, this is ridiculous.
I also read all the pages and feel the same way. Very depressing. When I get my overtime on my next check I'm donating to the San Joaquin County fund. This has got to change.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:11 AM

is this at a dead end ? i guess this is a question to the people started this.
Old 07-06-2012, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz dr View Post
I'm obviously not one of the guys that started this, but my guess is that it will be at a dead end until election time. Even then, there's no guarantee of change. Considering all the other counties that have been sued & beaten, while absolutely nothing has improved here in SJ County, I'm guessing Moore has enough ducks in a row to keep us from getting what we want. We're basically surrounded by issuing counties (and cities, for example Galt & Ripon), and yet we've made zero headway to speak of. Taking all that into consideration, and the current fight against SB249, unfortunately there are more pressing issues than LTC's in this county. I'm not saying they're picking the wrong battles, it just is what it is.

Last edited by DRAB_81; 07-06-2012 at 9:13 PM..
Old 07-07-2012, 7:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz dr View Post

I wouldn't say that it is at a dead end, just that it is not on the front burner, for now...

There are more urgent issues right now SB249, now that Nordyke is no longer holding up cases, both the Richards & Peruta cases are coming up at the 9th Circuit; Pena v. Cyd will start moving again, Richards v. Harris...

The lawyers have their hands full...
Old 07-13-2012, 4:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Also, note that our 2A "shall issue" carry case (Richards v. Prieto) is at the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and fully briefed; it is stayed pending the resolution of Nordyke v. King.

-Brandon
Is there a mailing list I can subscribe to in order to learn of the results for all the cases tied to Nordyke? Now that Nordyke is settled, those should be settled soon right? I live in San Jaoquin County (just outside of Tracy) and would like to apply for a CCW in the near future.
Old 07-13-2012, 6:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER295 View Post
I understand everyone's frustrations, and trust me, I am every bit as frustrated as the next guy. I want to assure you that San Joaquin County has not been forgotten. We will prevail, but specific strategies can not be discussed in open forum. The wheels turn slowly.
As a fellow rural San Joaquiner, I am glad to hear that. I will wait patiently and perhaps volunteer some time again.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiaboli View Post
As a fellow rural San Joaquiner, I am glad to hear that. I will wait patiently and perhaps volunteer some time again.
Just to give you some time perspective... the post you just quoted is 9 months old. "Slowly" doesn't even begin to describe this.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Have you taken The Pistolero Challenge?
Old 07-13-2012, 4:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpuFixrMan View Post
Just to give you some time perspective... the post you just quoted is 9 months old. "Slowly" doesn't even begin to describe this.
I know the pain. The only easy day was yesterday...
or last week...
or last month...
or last year...
or last decade

Ah California. I've seen glaciers move faster than firearms rights progress in California.

Last edited by advocatusdiaboli; 07-13-2012 at 5:03 PM..
Old 07-13-2012, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpuFixrMan View Post
You're new enough to the forum that you don't know the agonizing pain of being told things will happen in, "two weeks."
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 07-13-2012, 5:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilit View Post
You're new enough to the forum that you don't know the agonizing pain of being told things will happen in, "two weeks."
Yep. Remember that workaround for hi-cap magazines?
Old 07-23-2012, 9:47 PM

My wife and I are both looking into CCW. Our GC would be to protect ourselves and our family legally in urban areas as well as when we are camping, backpacking and rock climbing in remote areas. My wife also deals with large sums of money at work, though she is looking to get back into EMS. We live in Lodi.

I have read through most of the posts and went from hopeful to distressed. Makes me wish we would have stayed in Sonora, where the process really takes a couple weeks.

I don't have much $ to spare and not as much time as I would like to volunteer. I'm headed to the link to sign up, but what can I look forward to doing?

Where can I find more details about the court cases?
Old 07-25-2012, 8:02 PM

Has anyone applied recently? Thinking about doing it in the wake of Aurora. May see the same result, but I feel like I need to do something to protect my family.
Old 07-26-2012, 6:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherDog View Post
Has anyone applied recently? Thinking about doing it in the wake of Aurora. May see the same result, but I feel like I need to do something to protect my family.
It aggravating to be sure, but the last official communications seems, to me at least, to make two clear points: 1) we are at an impasse in getting CCWs approved generally and it will take either a change of Sheriff or legal action to free the process up and 2) CGF has bigger fish to fry with AB 249, Pena, and other issues and cases to spend time and money on San Joaquin right now so we need to be patient. Our neighborhood is covered by the sheriff for public safety so I don't have a city alternative to use so I'll just have to be patient.
Old 07-26-2012, 9:39 AM

Did I hear a rumor that Mateca was seeing local PD CCW approvals?
Old 07-26-2012, 1:03 PM

I'm going to submit my application in about a month to Lodi PD, if they will give me one.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:39 AM

I heard unless you are LE, Sheriff Moore won't approve you just based on your right to self defense. Also, if you state you carry large sums of cash he will want bank records. Again, not fact, just what I have learned through other people.
Old 07-29-2012, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglou View Post
I heard unless you are LE, Sheriff Moore won't approve you just based on your right to self defense. Also, if you state you carry large sums of cash he will want bank records. Again, not fact, just what I have learned through other people.
This correct on the large sum of cash part. While working with the AG. Dept I meet a few orchard growers around the linden, lodi area that had to bring in bank receipts and other paper work showing they carry large sums of cash. One of gentlemen I meet runs produce stands at farmers markets as well as other things. where all his business is cash
Old 07-29-2012, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_plinker View Post
This correct on the large sum of cash part. While working with the AG. Dept I meet a few orchard growers around the linden, lodi area that had to bring in bank receipts and other paper work showing they carry large sums of cash. One of gentlemen I meet runs produce stands at farmers markets as well as other things. where all his business is cash
And even then, unless they have some tie with Moore, their LTC's are most likely restricted to only allow them to carry while transporting said "large sums of money".

I found out that a coworker's son was recently given an unrestricted LTC by Moore. It turns out some guy helped out a deputy that was being attacked, and the deputy basically got him an LTC for his efforts (which is backdoor, but still pretty admirable). My coworker's son works for the guy who helped the deputy, so long story short, he got a LTC too.

Last edited by DRAB_81; 07-29-2012 at 7:22 PM..
Old 07-31-2012, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizFyrFyter View Post
I'm going to submit my application in about a month to Lodi PD, if they will give me one.
I don't think you will have any success. A friend who has had a CCW for over 15 years, and has substancial good cause, received a letter about 6 months ago telling him it had been revoked and he had ten days to return it to the PD office. It seems letters went out to almost every CCW holder in the city of Lodi.

Proud member of the 2016 California Quitters Club
Old 07-31-2012, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockGuy View Post
I don't think you will have any success. A friend who has had a CCW for over 15 years, and has substancial good cause, received a letter about 6 months ago telling him it had been revoked and he had ten days to return it to the PD office. It seems letters went out to almost every CCW holder in the city of Lodi.
Woooow. Fingers crossed that my wife gets the job with Sac Metro Fire, if so we are gone from this place.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 07-31-2012, 7:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Was a reason provided for revocation?
Old 08-03-2012, 6:21 AM

Quote:
That is NOT good news. I was hoping that since the new Police Chief was from Stockton, he might have a different view on LTC. If he did this 6 months ago, it was one of the first things he did after taking the position.

On a side note, if they sent letters to ALL LTC holders in Lodi, they didn't have to spend too much money on stamps. Out of a population of 65,000-70,000 people, I was told there were only around 40 LTC's issued. That was according to the retired LT that was handling LTC's a couple years ago. He was a delightful man, who proceeded to verbally assault my GCS (which was good) & deny even giving me an application.
Old 08-03-2012, 6:30 AM
Veteran Member

Lol. That would be Chet Somera, megadouche.
It's always amazed me that they didn't even want to send out the packet.
Sounds like I got further than most at LPD. At least they let me apply before they denied me. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
And yes, this IS gun school.
Welcome to class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
There is life outside of Calguns
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
stop looking to the internet to tell you everything you should do.....sack up and just do what you want!!!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 7:01 AM

I will still try for an application. If denied, I will go through the hoops and escalate it to the sheriff, even if its a list cause. You can fight something with words, it takes documentation.

While I want this to protect myself and my family in these crazy cities, I really want the price of mind of not being arrested for carrying when my wife and i are backpacking, cause I'm going to carry then no matter what. There are too many tweakers out there too and NO law enforcement response worth even trying to time.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 08-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post
Was a reason provided for revocation?
Apparently in California you don't need a reason to infringe on or deny a fundamental right.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I will still try for an application. If denied, I will go through the hoops and escalate it to the sheriff, even if its a list cause. You can fight something with words, it takes documentation.

While I want this to protect myself and my family in these crazy cities, I really want the price of mind of not being arrested for carrying when my wife and i are backpacking, cause I'm going to carry then no matter what. There are too many tweakers out there too and NO law enforcement response worth even trying to time.

Sent from my Nexus 7
I truly wish you the best of luck, but don't get your hopes up. Count on paying LPD whatever they charge to apply, and get denied. Then you can pay Sherriff Moore $119 to get denied. Then you can pay more to appeal, and get denied again.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN ContributorCGN Contributor - Lifetime

Actually, recently passed legislation (ab610?) requires that they give a reason for the denial in writing.
Old 08-03-2012, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead9 View Post
I truly wish you the best of luck, but don't get your hopes up. Count on paying LPD whatever they charge to apply, and get denied. Then you can pay Sherriff Moore $119 to get denied. Then you can pay more to appeal, and get denied again.

I dont have high hopes, but i dont have to do the life scan multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple K View Post
Actually, recently passed legislation (ab610?) requires that they give a reason for the denial in writing.
From what I understand, law requires them to make a timely decision also (90 days?) And they have failed that many times in the past.

The truth is, I'm looking forward to getting out of Lodi and Stockton and this whole county. My brother in law got his CCW in tuolumne county, process took 2 weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 08-03-2012, 4:04 PM

Quote:
I dont have high hopes, but i dont have to do the life scan multiple times.
As much as I hate to say it, it's still a waste of time and money at this point.
Old 08-04-2012, 6:28 AM

Quote:
As much as I hate to say it, it's still a waste of time and money at this point.
Possibly, but if we just give up and don't try, they win.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 08-04-2012, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Possibly, but if we just give up and don't try, they win.

Sent from my Nexus 7
We DID try, and they DID win. Absolutely nothing has changed since I received my denial letter (3/3/2011). We all beat our heads against that wall over a year ago, not knowing 100% what the outcome would be. Now that we know the outcome, why would we keep going the same route? We aren't quitting, but throwing another $119 @ Moore isn't going to help. I'm just trying to save you the same frustration we all experienced back in 2010/2011.
Old 08-04-2012, 8:09 PM

Quote:
We DID try, and they DID win. Absolutely nothing has changed since I received my denial letter (3/3/2011). We all beat our heads against that wall over a year ago, not knowing 100% what the outcome would be. Now that we know the outcome, why would we keep going the same route? We aren't quitting, but throwing another $119 @ Moore isn't going to help. I'm just trying to save you the same frustration we all experienced back in 2010/2011.
I'm not saying the guys that have tried are wrong for not trying again. I appreciate the effort in helping me out. I'll put the money towards a rifke ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 08-21-2012, 2:35 PM

What amount of money would it take to get CGF to file suit on Sheriff Moore on grounds that he is only issuing to wealthy donors, wealthy farmers and corrupt city managers?

I'd be in for $1,000.00 personally. If there were say, 200 San Joaquin residents in at $100, would that be enough??

I know a guy who came here illegally, then became a citizen somehow; owns a car repair business and was a licensed bounty hunter; HE has a CCW still today...
But most natural born citizens cannot get one...

let's roll!
Old 08-21-2012, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
What amount of money would it take to get CGF to file suit on Sheriff Moore on grounds that he is only issuing to wealthy donors, wealthy farmers and corrupt city managers?

I'd be in for $1,000.00 personally. If there were say, 200 San Joaquin residents in at $100, would that be enough??

I know a guy who came here illegally, then became a citizen somehow; owns a car repair business and was a licensed bounty hunter; HE has a CCW still today...

let's roll!
I'd drop $100 for that. Or move to Elk Grove

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 08-21-2012, 4:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you look at http://calgunsfoundation.org/resourc...n-joaquin.html you can see how many people (a whopping 7), besides myself, have donated towards this cause. I'd be in for another $100, if we had some support from residents. I've pretty much written this off until there is a sheriff change, or a material change in CA law.
Old 08-22-2012, 6:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm obviously not one of the guys that started this, but my guess is that it will be at a dead end until election time. Even then, there's no guarantee of change. Considering all the other counties that have been sued & beaten, while absolutely nothing has improved here in SJ County, I'm guessing Moore has enough ducks in a row to keep us from getting what we want. We're basically surrounded by issuing counties (and cities, for example Galt & Ripon), and yet we've made zero headway to speak of. Taking all that into consideration, and the current fight against SB249, unfortunately there are more pressing issues than LTC's in this county. I'm not saying they're picking the wrong battles, it just is what it is.
That fairly accurately sums up my assessment. Since this is on the back burner and I have a fixed budget for firearms activism through donations, I have been diverting it towards other causes and organizations that have more urgency for now. We have some key legal cases and we have onerous SBs popping up like mushrooms after a Spring rain. The antis are trying to test both our will and budgets. I'll re-balance my contributions once CCW in my home county moves to the forefront again. For me, state and federal rights take precedence over SJC CCW for now even though I am saddened that a right can be infringed locally without consequence. Their day will come.
Old 08-22-2012, 8:24 AM

Seeing that I am not a homeowner right now, I may just move out of the county. Lodi is OK but I miss the mountains. I should have gotten my ccw when I was in tuolumne county, when I didn't feel I needed it.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 08-22-2012, 10:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Seeing that I am not a homeowner right now, I may just move out of the county. Lodi is OK but I miss the mountains. I should have gotten my ccw when I was in tuolumne county, when I didn't feel I needed it.

Sent from my Nexus 7
The problem with that is, if you had moved into SJC after getting it somewhere else, you would've had it taken away by the current sheriff.
Old 08-22-2012, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post

let's roll!
I would like to know the $ amount it would take also? I donated to the cause about a year ago and would be up for more if something can be done to further the cause.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:40 PM

CCW for Federal LEO likely or not?

Agency recently made policy that prohibits carrying our creds when off duty and not authorized to off carry (obviously). I know HR218 (LEOSA) applies but don't want to violate policy so looking for CCW. I reside in Stockton.