Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:07 PM

Default $70 Walmart bench $.97 shipping (received update)

Update: Bench arrived yesterday. Two day shipping for $.97 isn't bad. I put it together and the unit seems very solid. The top is compressed wood but appears solid. I'm gonna run without any reinforcement but I'll probably just buy a better block of wood if this doesn't hold up. Also it's a pretty tall bench so a barstool will be needed.

Instruction very easy, as was assembly. After I assembled it I realized I should've probably put the shelves in upside down so that they become like shallow baskets so stuff won't roll out. Although the finishing on the steel coating is sticky so nothing should fall out.

I put my kettle bells on the bottom for added weight and stability. It still wobbles a bit because its on carpet so I will probably get like a bamboo chair mat for it or something to distribute the weight.

I haven't mounted the press yet as I have to figure out with the lady where I'm allowed to place this thing in the apartment. But once its all done ill post a pic.

Wow just found the Stack-on reloading bench for $70, even with expedited shipping it's only $105 and i'll have it before the weekend!!

Couple of reviews talking about using it for reloading:

Quote:
This is a great little reloading/workbench. It's solidly constructed and designed for use. I set mine up for reloading and it holds up to the pressures of the press just fine. I'm very pleased with this purchase and know it will hold up to many years of use
Quote:
Wow, this turned out better than expected...great VALUE. I bought this workbench for setting up a small reloading operation and it fits my current equipment to a "T". It is pretty steady with my single stage press attached. Would recommend as an INTRODUCTORY bench for reloading. Can't beat it for the price $$.(
Quote:
This is a great little reloading/workbench. It's solidly constructed and designed for use. I set mine up for reloading and it holds up to the pressures of the press just fine. I'm very pleased with this purchase and know it will hold up to many years of use

My local Home Depot has these for sale for $80 right now. It's perfect for me size wise since I load in a one bedroom and its more pleasing to the eye than the mini bench I built myself. I think there is particle wood under the stainless steel top.

Do CG reloaders approve?

http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Org...specifications

Last edited by mroels; 12-08-2012 at 10:57 AM..
Old 12-04-2012, 12:34 PM

It looks good. You'll probably have to anchor it to the wall or at least put some weight (cast bullets make great weights) in the bottom of the cabinet to run your press.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

If you mount a press on that, one or both doors will be blocked........

Better read the first two customer reviews of that cabinet on the hd site, and carefully consider their descriptions...I don't think it's going to be nearly as functional as you envision.......
Old 12-04-2012, 1:02 PM

I was thinking of mounting the press on the side.

I did read those reviews but wasn't too worried as the first one mostly complains about the doors, which I wouldn't be using as a security feature. My main concern is wether this will hold up to the pressures of loading. I've seen some people use similar garage cabinets but usually larger ones.
Old 12-04-2012, 1:14 PM

I wish I would have gotten one of these from harborfreight

Old 12-04-2012, 1:16 PM

That's too big for my apartment. Not too mention too ugly for my wife too allow inside.
Old 12-04-2012, 1:20 PM

I was thinking about this;

http://toolguyd.com/keter-folding-work-table/
Saw it at Costco for about $40
Old 12-04-2012, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroels View Post
I was thinking of mounting the press on the side.
From review #2:

Quote:
The tops do not extend over the sides (they’re not even flush),
If you mount the press on the side, there may not be enough countertop underneath it to catch the mounting bolts closed to you. And I think those bolts will interfere with the side of the cabinet wall.

I vote no......you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, and this appears much closer to the latter than the former.........
Old 12-04-2012, 1:26 PM

I have one of those and its too light for reloading
Old 12-04-2012, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofbak View Post
If you mount the press on the side, there may not be enough countertop underneath it to catch the mounting bolts closed to you. And I think those bolts will interfere with the side of the cabinet wall.

I vote no......you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, and this appears much closer to the latter than the former.........
That's what I was worried about too. I was gonna have them unpack one for me to see. But i'm leaning toward not going this route too.

Looking at this one too , it's a little larger than I'd like. The next one down that smaller is the Stack-on one that Midway sells too. But it's more expensive and rated worse.
Old 12-04-2012, 1:34 PM

What about the Husky cabinet and mounting the press using this?
Old 12-04-2012, 2:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What about the Husky cabinet and mounting the press using this?
I think that would mount the press to the cabinet for sure, but now the total cost is more than the 48" bench (IIRC), and to me the bench would be a better work station with far more surface area you can use.....also more weight which would keep you from tilting your work surface if you had to pull hard on the press arm for some stout resizing work.
Old 12-04-2012, 2:18 PM

Wow just found the Stack-on reloading bench for $70, even with expedited shipping it's only $105 and i'll have it before the weekend!!

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, this turned out better than expected...great VALUE. I bought this workbench for setting up a small reloading operation and it fits my current equipment to a "T". It is pretty steady with my single stage press attached. Would recommend as an INTRODUCTORY bench for reloading. Can't beat it for the price $$.(
Quote:

Last edited by mroels; 12-04-2012 at 7:19 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 2:28 PM

What say ye CGN reloaders?
Old 12-04-2012, 2:34 PM
Veteran Member

that one looks like a solution......

FWIW, I didn'have enough room in my garage for a dedicated station, and I have so many acitivities done out there that I had to "improvise" a reloading station

[IMG][/IMG]

yeah, not much of a looker, but it works really well...........
Old 12-04-2012, 2:56 PM

Wish I had a garage to reload in. (Garage is big enough but my neighbors have access because the laundry is in there) So I have to do it in my apartment. My current set up is just a little wobbly, and just too ugly for my wife.

Old 12-04-2012, 4:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Secret Club Member?.
Old 12-04-2012, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceflinch View Post
nice from walmart, im going to pick one up - as im getting into reloading
Old 12-04-2012, 6:06 PM
Banned

reloading bench from scrap lumber

Old 12-04-2012, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Wow that's a great price. Chepeast I found today was $130 at Sears for the Stack-On. I downloaded the NRMA bench plans and was going to make a Ganahl's run for the lumber one of these years, but after plans for a 2 hour, $50 "simple" workbench took $250 and 5 days, I'm all over that Walmart deal.

At $70 my time would have to be slightly more valuable than worthless to spend time on a DIY workbench - to hell with accomplishments (see above). Too bad they don't have the one with the peg board back and the shelf, but that can always be added.
Old 12-04-2012, 7:22 PM

Updated title in case anyone else is looking for one.
Old 12-04-2012, 8:15 PM
Veteran Member

That Walmart bench looks great.
Just make sure whatever you get, you bolt it to the wall. It'll make all the difference.
My bench looks nice but its actually just cheap cabinets from Home Depot. But once I bolted them to the wall they became solid as a rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 12-04-2012, 8:18 PM

I use this in the small space I have in my garage it works well but it works much better with the Inline Fabrication mount I have on it now! It was really light weight as well but with powder, primers, cast bullets and the mount the things rock solid. The fact it was only 32 + shipping I had money left for the mount!
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

http://cache.vendaria.com/integratio..._uid_202756862

Last edited by Jonb.; 12-04-2012 at 8:24 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 8:20 PM

Bench looks good. Only concern I would have is if you are trying to use it on caroet it will probably be uneven even mounted to the wall.
Old 12-04-2012, 8:35 PM

For carpet 2x4 under the corners or under the legs works pretty well.
Old 12-04-2012, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
That Walmart bench looks great.
Just make sure whatever you get, you bolt it to the wall. It'll make all the difference.
Just out of curiosity, what are you using and how are you bolting it to your wall?
Old 12-04-2012, 8:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Light View Post
Just out of curiosity, what are you using and how are you bolting it to your wall?
Home Depot sells these garage cabinets for $99 each. They screw or bolt to the wall just like any kitchen cabinet. I also screwed them to each other. I then bought a laminated counter top from HD and it's solid as a rock. I have other presses mounted to it nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 AM

Just got my shipping label. It'll be here on Fri...not bad for .97c shipping. I'll let you all know how it looks once I get it set up
Old 12-05-2012, 11:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptroxx View Post
I wish I would have gotten one of these from harborfreight

You still can . . . . http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch...nch-93454.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose_electron View Post
PE card? LOL! Any green kid out of engineering school can get that with a few years of experience.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrpe View Post
I already used something else thats working just fine... and was 0 cost...
And it works great ... I used an older desk I had in my spare room..
Old 12-05-2012, 1:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My Dillon 550b used to be mounted to a piece of plywood (actually two pieces, so that there was space under the first one for the bolts/nuts.

Then I'd clamp it to the kitchen counter for a rock solid one-bedroom-apartment reloading station! Worked great actually.

The 550b is now mounted to a wooden "bench" that I originally built as a solid stand for recycling bins. it's not light, but I mounted the press so that it was on the long edge and when I push the handle forward, the whole thing tips backwards! Oops!
Old 12-05-2012, 2:27 PM
Veteran Member

I have a Harbor Freight bench for my apartment, top is the compressed/glued/whatever wood shavings. Not sure if the one you're looking at is made of the same material. My solution was to use a large piece of hardwood to reinforce the bench. You can expect the cheap pressed top to rip apart if you're FL sizing gas gun brass. Also, storing brass and bullets in the base of the bench helps keep it from moving around when you have to use a lot of force on the press handle.
Old 12-05-2012, 3:40 PM

IKEA...
Old 12-08-2012, 10:54 AM

Bench arrived yesterday. Two day shipping for $.97 isn't bad. I put it together and the unit seems very solid. The top is compressed wood but appears solid. I'm gonna run without any reinforcement but I'll probably just buy a better block of wood if this doesn't hold up. Also it's a pretty tall bench so a barstool will be needed.

Instruction very easy, as was assembly. After I assembled it I realized I should've probably put the shelves in upside down so that they become like shallow baskets so stuff won't roll out. Although the finishing on the steel coating is sticky so nothing should fall out.

I put my kettle bells on the bottom for added weight and stability. It still wobbles a bit because its on carpet so I will probably get like a bamboo chair mat for it or something to distribute the weight.

I haven't mounted the press yet as I have to figure out with the lady where I'm allowed to place this thing in the apartment. But once its all done ill post a pic.
Old 12-10-2012, 7:33 AM

Quote:
[B]Update: Bench arrived yesterday. Two day shipping for $.97 isn't bad. I put it together and the unit seems very solid. The top is compressed wood but appears solid. I'm gonna run without any reinforcement but I'll probably just buy a better block of wood if this doesn't hold up. Also it's a pretty tall bench so a barstool will be needed.
Got mine on Friday as well (ordered on Wednesday), assembled Sunday in about 2 hours (I'd still be sawing the wood for the NRMA plans, right now ).

Was a little wobbly with just the steel assembled but it got sturdy with the MDF top on. Top is relatively heavy duty, but I'm going to order the Lee mount from Natchez, just for some extra support; as well.

I'm a little surprised the top is only held on with eight 1/2" wood screws, but it seems sturdy enough and I think I'll bolt it to the wall just for a little extra sturdiness. I'm thinking about upping the size of the screws holding the top on, though. That might be overkill, though.

Is determining if a bench is sturdy enough for a (single stage Lee Challenger) press just a matter of "feel"?

So far so good for $70.

Last edited by Low Light; 12-10-2012 at 7:38 AM..
Old 12-10-2012, 12:13 PM

Unfortunately for me the wife disapproved of having this inside so its banished to the garage. I'll use it as a work bench for other stuff. But in the meantime the search for me continues for a smaller aesthetically pleasing reloading bench. Any ideas?