Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-09-2008, 8:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by proraptor View Post
Thats why you take over a costco and hide out there....DUH!
no kidding, what a great place to turn into a huge play fort.
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gif
NRA Member
Old 04-09-2008, 8:52 PM

Or a SAMS CLUB. haha
Old 04-09-2008, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilit View Post
I'd spend $400 for an AK and $9,600 on ammo.
Gotta leave money for for 30 round magazines and 75 round drums
Old 04-09-2008, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Dude in a true SHTF scenario your gun can get you medicine, water and food. It all depends on how desperate you are.
What if the person or persons who has said items is another paranoid calguns member?
Old 04-09-2008, 8:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
no kidding, what a great place to turn into a huge play fort.
Likely to be gasoline near the main building as well

People generally quarrel because they cannot argue -- G.K. Chesterton

It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties -- James Madison
Old 04-09-2008, 8:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Rock View Post
Have fun with your guns and ammo when you are starving to death, dying of thirst, sick from a disease easily treatable by modern medicines, stuck in the dark without power or heat.

Guns and ammo pretty far down on the SHTF list. I'd say a long gun and a handgun, a light and a case of ammo is enough to see you through any situation .
During Y2K my neighbor and I were talking and he said he had a basement full of water and canned food. He asked if I had stocked up and I said that I had. He asked me what I bought. I told him I bought a 12 guage shotgun, a .308 rifle and several bricks of .22 ammo.

He is an anti-gun guy and he said. "Well, you can't eat ammunition". I replied with "When I'm starving to death with a case of ammunition, who's door do you think I am going to knock on?"

He looked at me with a weird look like he had never thought of that before. I quickly followed up with. "If I have guns and ammo I can shoot the food I need to survive and 'obtain' things as needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Old 04-09-2008, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What if the person or persons who has said items is another paranoid calguns member?
There was a firefight!

People generally quarrel because they cannot argue -- G.K. Chesterton

It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties -- James Madison
Old 04-09-2008, 9:12 PM

I would want a AR with a ATN WP17 Trident Pro-2 for those things that go bump in the dark and a M1A.
Old 04-09-2008, 9:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm prety much set...

For urban stuff against large crowds I'd just take my American 180 (I know its just a .22LR, but anything that can go bang 275 times without reloading is worth havnig in that situation) Its man portable and I can have a few thousand rounds ready to go in a backpack.

For rural stuff, I'd take my AR15 with the A2 configuration.

And +1 to what SAS said about connections. If everyone knows that the SHTF in two weeks you're going to have to know some people to get what you're looking for anyway.

Since I already have the guns, ammo, IIIA body armour, food, water and a place to run to.

I'd take the 10K and get my truck put in tip top shape (new tires, fuel lines, tuneup carb rebuild and new seats) I'd also get some heavy steel pushbumpers put on it so I can pusuade cars to get out of the way.

Subscribe to Proto Ordnance
Old 04-09-2008, 9:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX22 View Post

I'd take the 10K and get my truck put in tip top shape (new tires, fuel lines, tuneup carb rebuild and new seats) I'd also get some heavy steel pushbumpers put on it so I can pusuade cars to get out of the way.
I want to mount my 1919 on my work truck and armor plate it Too bad I get 5mpg in it
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
NRA Member
Old 04-09-2008, 9:17 PM

Quote:
I'm prety much set...

For urban stuff against large crowds I'd just take my American 180 (I know its just a .22LR, but anything that can go bang 275 times without reloading is worth havnig in that situation) Its man portable and I can have a few thousand rounds ready to go in a backpack.

For rural stuff, I'd take my AR15 with the A2 configuration.

And +1 to what SAS said about connections. If everyone knows that the SHTF in two weeks you're going to have to know some people to get what you're looking for anyway.

Since I already have the guns, ammo, IIIA body armour, food, water and a place to run to.

WOW you have a truck with a carb on it. How old school!! Thats so 'Red Dawn' LOL J/K
Old 04-09-2008, 9:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just FYI, but that is the kind of attitude that will have you ended faster in a SHTF situation than anything.

If you think it's "every man for himself," instead of finding a group to contribute to, you're going to find you're done pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
During Y2K my neighbor and I were talking and he said he had a basement full of water and canned food. He asked if I had stocked up and I said that I had. He asked me what I bought. I told him I bought a 12 guage shotgun, a .308 rifle and several bricks of .22 ammo.

He is an anti-gun guy and he said. "Well, you can't eat ammunition". I replied with "When I'm starving to death with a case of ammunition, who's door do you think I am going to knock on?"

He looked at me with a weird look like he had never thought of that before. I quickly followed up with. "If I have guns and ammo I can shoot the food I need to survive and 'obtain' things as needed.
Old 04-09-2008, 9:21 PM

One thing you have to remember when dealing with a group of people in dire situations that arent trained to deal with it(civilians) A person is smart, 'people' are stupid. The mob mentality really sets in when the chips are down and basics are hard to come buy. People get really dumb.
Old 04-09-2008, 9:21 PM

How do you know we didn't already buy that stuff? We could have allotted $10k in the budget to defend our food, water, and medicine.

Quote:
Have fun with your guns and ammo when you are starving to death, dying of thirst, sick from a disease easily treatable by modern medicines, stuck in the dark without power or heat.

Guns and ammo pretty far down on the SHTF list. I'd say a long gun and a handgun, a light and a case of ammo is enough to see you through any situation .
I'd say an AK derivative in 7.62 for the cheap ammo beforehand, a 1022 and a .22 handgun (probably another Ruger) with a huge stash of .22lr, for when the 7.62 runs out, and a .223 AK derivative with a modest stash in case I come upon any LE or military ammunition reserves. Maybe a 1911 or similar and a modest amount of ammo, just for some takedown power over the .22 when I needed to blend in in a hostile environment.

Edit: This is just for a traditional SHTF situation, in the event of a predicted zombie apocalypse screw the AKs, I like the rationale behind stocking up with .22lr.

2nd Edit: I like the carbed truck idea, that would be good in the event of a Jericho style SHTF situation with an EMP, gotta figure out how to work that into the plan

Last edited by Harrison_Bergeron; 04-09-2008 at 9:28 PM..
Old 04-09-2008, 9:27 PM

A really good pair of running shoes, some excellent hiking boots, maps, a couple of portable scanners that'll do apco, some nightvision and craploads of food, water, and meds so I don't have to come out if I absolutely don't have to.

The rest I'd put into a couple of used quads, and extra fuel cans.

Come to think of it, ya gotta specify what kind of SHTF event.....lots of difference between the variants......

If it's just guns you're looking to get, AK's and AR's work fine - get some. Get your friends to get some too, and come over for the party.
Old 04-09-2008, 9:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison_Bergeron View Post
How do you know we didn't already buy that stuff? We could have allotted $10k in the budget to defend our food, water, and medicine.
What kind of medicine would you stockpile? Since the SHTF in two weeks, its not like we can just go and take what we want from the local pharmacy.
NRA Member
Old 04-09-2008, 9:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
What kind of medicine would you stockpile? Since the SHTF in two weeks, its not like we can just go and take what we want from the local pharmacy.
Well..... we Could... but it would probably be best to wait the two weeks to actually go and do that kind of shopping

Don't play with stockpiling medication... especially stuff thats not perscribed to you.

I know a guy who got in big trouble over some morphine he had in a med kit he had prepped for Y2K. He didn't get in trouble for the S12 saiga he had, but the meds landed him in hot watter

Subscribe to Proto Ordnance
Old 04-09-2008, 9:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Well..... we Could... but it would probably be best to wait the two weeks to actually go and do that kind of shopping

Don't play with stockpiling medication... especially stuff thats not perscribed to you.

I know a guy who got in big trouble over some morphine he had in a med kit he had prepped for Y2K. He didn't get in trouble for the S12 saiga he had, but the meds landed him in hot watter
I'm not planning on it, but medicine seemed to be something of value in the SHTF idea.
NRA Member
Old 04-09-2008, 9:52 PM

I don't know if I'd go full on medicine, I was just being a smart***. It has been years, maybe over a decade, since I got sicker than some decongestant could handle. I think I would first stock up on stuff to make my common ailments easier to deal with, don't want to have to stop and blow your nose so you can breath in a bugout situation, so some OTC sinus meds, some nasal spray, etc. Everyone knows what usually gets them. Then because of the nature of the situation I'd probably stock up on disinfectant and simple pain relievers, maybe some simple splints, don't want a stupid cut or sprained ankle to put you out in the first week after all the planning you did.

As for real meds, I don't understand them, so unless I could find a doc to bring on to the team, I think I would just have to risk it.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:06 PM

My ak pistol, ar rifle, 9mm or .22 pistol. Need atleast 500rds of .223 and 7.62 and 2k of 22. A bullet proof vest and a big dirtbike.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 PM

FYI if you think you need a arsenal to handle something, chances are your problem is alot bigger than any amount of rounds can solve.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ech0Sierra View Post
and were given $10,000 to build 2 rifles with accessories and optics to keep you alive, gimme a parts list. One for fighting in rural and desert areas. And one for city fighting i.e. "I Am Legend" (2008)
I want one of these, hope there will be a civilian version someday.

I haven't seen that movie but I guess I would have something similar..
hk 416 or diemaco sfw.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclaplinker View Post
Just FYI, but that is the kind of attitude that will have you ended faster in a SHTF situation than anything.

If you think it's "every man for himself," instead of finding a group to contribute to, you're going to find you're done pretty quick.
Of course I would not resort to that in the beginning.

When it comes down to it my life and the life of my family will go on barring all else.

If social groups and hunting fails and my family is starving I will find food or die trying.
Quote:

-Gene
Quote:
Old 04-09-2008, 10:22 PM

For weapon I'll use my trustly AR15. If it's SHTF in the entire planet then I'll fortify my position. Call for reinforement. Of course I'll have my bimmer ready to go as well just in case I'll need to move.

Well I'll buy supplies like solar panels, ammo and mostly water of course. I'll already have a garden in the backyard and get some more chickens and rabbits.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linh View Post
Of course I'll have my bimmer ready to go as well just in case I'll need to move.
Are the roads going to be free and clear when the SHTF?
NRA Member
Old 04-09-2008, 10:32 PM

Not for any kind of Bimmer.

For an SHTF vehicle you would want to weigh mpg versus durability, with a bias towards durability for clearing roads or bypassing them all together. Plus, you gotta factor in that dealerships likely won't be open to do maintenance, that is why in I Am Legend Robert Neville drove an old Packard, it was all he knew how to work on. A modern German car would be my last choice.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Not for any kind of Bimmer.

For an SHTF vehicle you would want to weigh mpg versus durability, with a bias towards durability for clearing roads or bypassing them all together. Plus, you gotta factor in that dealerships likely won't be open to do maintenance, that is why in I Am Legend Robert Neville drove an old Packard, it was all he knew how to work on. A modern German car would be my last choice.
One thing that made me wonder in that movie, he's been SHTF'n it for 3 years, how'd he get gas for his rides? siphon from parked cars? How long does gas stay good for? I know I've let my lawn mower go alittle while without fresh gas or use, and the gas went stale pretty quick and stunk pretty bad.
NRA Member
Old 04-09-2008, 10:39 PM

Sorry I can't afford a separate SHTF vehicle so my only choice is my x3 and no I don't plan on driving around but if I have to then I'll have to.

I prefer to stay put in an area that I know versus moving around in unknown area.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
One thing that made me wonder in that movie, he's been SHTF'n it for 3 years, how'd he get gas for his rides? siphon from parked cars? How long does gas stay good for? I know I've let my lawn mower go alittle while without fresh gas or use, and the gas went stale pretty quick and stunk pretty bad.
I was referring to the book. In the book he siphoned it from the underground tanks at gas stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linh View Post
Sorry I can't afford a separate SHTF vehicle so my only choice is my x3 and no I don't plan on driving around but if I have to then I'll have to.

I prefer to stay put in an area that I know versus moving around in unknown area.
So, if you had 2 weeks and $10k to build/acquire a vehicle ready for a SHTF situation what would you buy/build?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:55 PM

Well SHTF.... me and my brothers half jokingly half truth had a plan to takeover a wallyworld and sams club in our area (they are RIGHT next door to eachother) I figure between our sig 556, chinese sks, socom 16, ruger 9mm rifle with 30 round mags, ruger 10/22, remington 870, 2 hk45's, and 2 glock 40's...... well we would deffinately have food, and wallyworld has some ammo, so 10k on more ammo and maybe an ak and we'll be set... hell maybe you guys could come down to with your guns, we could make a SHTF fortress, probably the most heavily gaurded area anywhere... SAFE
what you guys think?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I was referring to the book. In the book he siphoned it from the underground tanks at gas stations.

So, if you had 2 weeks and $10k to build/acquire a vehicle ready for a SHTF situation what would you buy/build?

I'd steal my buddies huge lifted diesel, weld some bars across the windows. freakin thing is so high he has fold out steps
Old 04-09-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
The second gun would be a Glock 17 for concealability and plentiful ammunition. In a SHTF scenario without the government, people who do not have means to supply food for themselves will become desperate within a couple weeks. Picture what happened on "War of the Worlds" when Tom Cruise had a gun. Those that didn't overwhelmed him and took it. I think this would happen to anyone who openly carried a firearm around a mass of people. The people would associate a gun with food and risk everything to obtain it.
This is a really good point. I never thought about this.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
No kidding
NRA Member
Old 04-09-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post

His problem was he didnt start pulling the trigger
Old 04-09-2008, 11:19 PM

no one is going to join me at wally world?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthmt View Post
His problem was he didnt start pulling the trigger
I have a 32 round magazine for my Glock 17. There were a lot more than 32 people swarming him; it would be impossible to get them all.
Quote:

-Gene
Quote:
Old 04-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member

2 Ak's

1 .357 revolver

1 .22 ruger mkll

Savage .308

and one .45

the rest on ammo.....food....
Old 04-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireluvrandrew@gmail.com View Post
no one is going to join me at wally world?
And steal what? Cheap TV's? I think everyone and their uncle will already be there.
NRA Member
Old 04-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
And steal what? Cheap TV's? I think everyone and their uncle will already be there.
There is LOTS that can be used in Walmart. Canned food, camping supplies, plenty of ammunition, plenty of stuff to make bombs and other weapons... many things to TRADE...

If the government fails money will be worthless and we will have a thriving barter system.
Quote:

-Gene
Quote:
Old 04-09-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I have a 32 round magazine for my Glock 17. There were a lot more than 32 people swarming him; it would be impossible to get them all.
Shoulda had an AK, how many people you think a FMJ can penetrate? 5? 7?

100rd drum would be a necessity