Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Rotary Tumbler question

So I bought the Frankford Platinum tumbler. We first rinsed the pins off. Then I decided to run some .308 brass. Not sure if it makes a difference but it is surplus, once fired brass. We put 200ish in the drum. Followed with about a tablespoon of lemshine and about the same of dawn. We filled with water tumbled it for 2 hours and checked. The outside was beautiful. But the inside was not as clean/polished as the outside. And the primer pocket still had residue in it.

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

We ran a batch of about 1k of 9mm and they turned out perfect inside and out.

Do I need to do something different for the .308 brass?

Last edited by Zamble; 01-23-2016 at 12:29 PM..
Old 01-23-2016, 12:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Last edited by Zamble; 01-23-2016 at 12:29 PM..
Old 01-23-2016, 2:28 PM

I run mine for 3 hours and use HOT water with the dawn and lemon shine works like a champ
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."--- Jeff Cooper---
Old 01-23-2016, 2:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Did the brass fill it less than 3/4 of the way?
Was the water full?

For rifle brass I found 3 hours work best for like new brass but 2 hours is perfectly fine.
Old 01-23-2016, 2:52 PM

I found a slightly different way from folks here and it has cut down time and the cases become much cleaner.
1. Use citric acid instead of Dawn and Lemonshine. Lemonshine is basically citric acid anyway so can get a pound of food grade on Amazon for reach cheap and will last a long time.

2. I tend to use 7 x 0.5 CC of Citric Acid with cold water for one hour.
3. I then change water as 95% of the dirt is poured out, add 7 x 0.5 CC citric acid and run for a second hour.

Cases come out very clean and do not tarnish when dried in the oven.

Now I know I am losing some copper in the second round (water comes out slightly blue) but that should be only the surface tarnish. Although I am likely shortening the life of the brass, I use range brass for plinking not match grade so am not concerned.

I used to run it for 3 hours but the primer pockets were not as clean and the brass would tarnish when drying.
Old 01-23-2016, 8:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The brass filled about half of the container. And the water was up to the full line.
Old 01-23-2016, 8:49 PM
CGN Contributor

Looks pretty much how mine come out after 1.5 hours in the dawn / lemishine combo. The primer pocket sees about 60,000 psi, so the gunk there can be pretty stout. I just hit any that bother me with a primer pocket uniformer, but typically it's just staining.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1040 View Post
I found a slightly different way from folks here and it has cut down time and the cases become much cleaner.
1. Use citric acid instead of Dawn and Lemonshine. Lemonshine is basically citric acid anyway so can get a pound of food grade on Amazon for reach cheap and will last a long time.

2. I tend to use 7 x 0.5 CC of Citric Acid with cold water for one hour.
3. I then change water as 95% of the dirt is poured out, add 7 x 0.5 CC citric acid and run for a second hour.

Cases come out very clean and do not tarnish when dried in the oven.

Now I know I am losing some copper in the second round (water comes out slightly blue) but that should be only the surface tarnish. Although I am likely shortening the life of the brass, I use range brass for plinking not match grade so am not concerned.

I used to run it for 3 hours but the primer pockets were not as clean and the brass would tarnish when drying.
Change the temperature of your water to near boiling and you MIGHT be able to get away with only 10-20 minutes or so.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 01-25-2016, 1:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have a mix of long and short pins. Wasn't by design but once that happened, I started noticing super clean primer pockets. I'm guessing all short pins would work too.