Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 01-26-2013, 2:49 AM

Good old Wrangler John ... the guy you can count on to make comments that not only make no sense ..... but he even makes it worst when he replies

If you read his comments the last one looks like he is advocating we all go back to using muskets and animal lard.

Just because something "worked" ok for so many years does not mean there is not something that is newer and better.

Horse and Buggy worked ok for many years until automobiles came along .... don't see and buggies on the street at all now.

Animal Lard worked ok when Flintlock Muskets were the latest technology out there ..... you don't see packets of animal lard sold at the Gun Shops now.
Old 01-26-2013, 3:01 AM

bought mine at the del mar gun show and have been using it on my AR-15. I dont have any complaints and it smells nice too if you have *****y room mates that complain whenever you clean your weapons inside.
Old 01-26-2013, 7:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptroxx View Post
Yeah this guy sounds like a real tree hugger ....

FrogLube was founded by CAPT Larry Lasky, US Navy SEAL (ret), who spent the past 32 years in service to the United States Special Operations Command, Naval Special Warfare and to the U.S. soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines whose gallant performance he attributes to every success on any mission and on any battlefield he has served.
Were getting little off track here.
i never questioned his service.

Just the OVER HYPE of his product.
IF YOU READ POST #69
you would see there is more to the story.

USE WHAT YOU WANT....I DONT CARE..

FrogLube is what it is and has its limitations.
But it is a product of excellent MARKETING.
Old 01-26-2013, 8:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith Dan View Post
Horse and Buggy worked ok for many years until automobiles came along .... don't see and buggies on the street at all now.
Ever been to Amish country?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 01-26-2013, 9:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tio sams misguided child View Post
bought mine at the del mar gun show and have been using it on my AR-15. I dont have any complaints and it smells nice too if you have *****y room mates that complain whenever you clean your weapons inside.
How much did it cost? I got the 8oz paste/4oz liquid kit for about $40 on Amazon, going to the range and trying it out tomorrow.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 01-26-2013, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
How much did it cost? I got the 8oz paste/4oz liquid kit for about $40 on Amazon, going to the range and trying it out tomorrow.

Cost me 27 shipped from Ebay,,,,,with the microfiber towel
Old 01-27-2013, 12:52 AM

Gun Show price is always the cheapest ...... and they sell one gallon sizes as well
Old 01-27-2013, 5:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Ever been to Amish country?

Ya know I was going to say the same thing. They are still in use and do just fine out there.
Old 01-27-2013, 9:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Well guess I'm going to wait another week to try out the Froglube. Buddy who was going to the range with me is sick. I did apply it last night though and it is quite slick.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 AM

I was extremely curious about this stuff because of the hype so I took FL to work and broke it down, both paste and spray. The difference between the two is minimal just more of two ingredients which makes it thick. While I won't give away the ingredients I am sure most people have ~90% of it in their house today.

It is biodegradable, except for the slight traces of pesticides due to the nature of the ingredients. However just because something is biodegradable, does not mean it can be consumed or exposed in large quantities. I would still use gloves when applying. An example of something that is biodegradable/organic is isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) however over exposure to isopropyl alcohol has nasty side effects. And for people saying they would eat FL, I would not advise it. Have an apple instead, healthier for you.

FL does work in short usages for firearms, anything under 1000 rounds, before reapplying. It prevents dust and things from collecting on the weapon, which is its main benefit because it helps keep corrosive materials from staying around, just like what happens when you wax your car. The waxing part is what allows it to last as long as it does because it fills in pores and lube is released when the firearm gets hot. Overall Teflon or HBN will last much longer but is not as "green" as FL. Depending on your humidity FL may not do so well long term to prevent rust.

Price: I would say a small 4oz bottle is about $0.50 of materials, being very generous, and the labor to make it is maybe $0.50. Even if they spend crazy amounts on marketing and if they decided to use more exotic materials they are still making at least 60-80% margin on it. But that's what is great about capitalism! Make something and market it right and you can have a good income.

As for my preferences, I will use a HBN product for lube because I have longer shooting needs and don't clean often enough to prevent rust with just FL. I do like the wax affects and will use FL or similar source ingredients on my firearms now after a good bare metal cleaner. I am currently experimenting with both a FL (similar), base and a HBN lube. The combination, while not as "green", provides an amazing long lasting and easy to clean firearm lube.

To sum it up, once again, use what you want/prefer. I personally wouldn't buy anymore FL, too expensive for large quantities, but I will use some similar base ingredients along with other lubes.
Since we can never hope to understand why we're here, if there's even anything to understand, the individual should choose a goal and pursue it wholeheartedly, despite the certainty of death and the meaninglessness of action.

-------------------
Please sign up for Dropbox http://db.tt/8dsT7hwb

Last edited by darthnugget; 01-27-2013 at 7:05 PM..
Old 01-27-2013, 6:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthnugget View Post
BNH will last much longer
BNH lube.

excuse my ignorance.
What is BNH ?
Old 01-27-2013, 7:06 PM

I meant HBN, lazy Sunday brain. Hexagonal Boron Nitride, great stuff.
Since we can never hope to understand why we're here, if there's even anything to understand, the individual should choose a goal and pursue it wholeheartedly, despite the certainty of death and the meaninglessness of action.

-------------------
Old 01-31-2013, 9:23 AM

WTF??? I just used this stuff this weekend and yes it does have my AR running smooth but why don't they have a disclaimer stating that it will erase the lettering on your rail or eotech housing if it gets on there... I wiped my rifle down after cleaning a little of the lube off my hands and after the wipe down I realize that the lettering on my brand new eotech xps2 and Daniel defense rail is half gone!!! So pisst off .. Has this happened to any of you?

Last edited by Ron3213; 02-01-2013 at 9:27 AM.. Reason: pics
Old 01-31-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron3213 View Post
WTF??? I just used this stuff this weekend and yes it does have my AR running smooth but why don't they have a disclaimer stating that it will erase the lettering on your rail or eotech housing if it gets on there... I wiped my rifle down after cleaning a little of the lube off my hands and after the wipe down I realize that the lettering on my brand new eotech xps2 and Daniel defense rail is half gone!!! So pisst off .. Has this happened to any of you? I urge froglube to look into this...
Don't worry it is organic and biodegradable
Old 01-31-2013, 10:47 PM

I can not confirm nore deny what FL uses but rubbing alcohol has a similar effect to the standard lettering. And it's organic and bio degradable.

Sucks that happened, I did not apply FL to any of those areas but over time the white markings dull with use of the rifle.

-------------------
Old 02-01-2013, 5:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

So will limonene. and it's biodegradable, food grade, non toxic, organic, won't rot your teeth. But it will strip paint, grease, oil, and refinish your wood without you even asking.

Again guys. just because it's a socalled green product doesn't mean it won't eat the finish of something.

Spray enough simple green on a painted surface and see what happens. Paint will bubble up over time. High alkaline pH will do that
Old 02-01-2013, 7:36 AM
CGN Contributor

Default FrogLube on EoTech

We have been selling FrogLube for 2 1/2 years. My AR is on display at 24 gun shows a year, and hundreds of people touch and hold it. Consequently, I tend to wipe it down with FrogLube often, to remove fingerprints and germs.

You can see by the photo, that the lettering on the EoTech is not faded, and it predates our involvement with FrogLube.

PU-Products LLC Nationwide Distributor of
ROK Straps, FROGLUBE, UTV RAX Systems
204 Greenfield Drive Suite A
El Cajon, Ca 92020
619-334-1913
sales@pu-products.com
Old 02-01-2013, 9:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron3213 View Post
WTF??? I just used this stuff this weekend and yes it does have my AR running smooth but why don't they have a disclaimer stating that it will erase the lettering on your rail or eotech housing if it gets on there... I wiped my rifle down after cleaning a little of the lube off my hands and after the wipe down I realize that the lettering on my brand new eotech xps2 and Daniel defense rail is half gone!!! So pisst off .. Has this happened to any of you? I urge froglube to look into this...
I thought real operators went with all-black rifles.

-hanko

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 02-01-2013, 9:50 AM

I have been using Froglube on all my customer's gun for over a year and have not had any paint or color filled engravings damaged at all.

Froglube is a class of lubricating waxes that has properties similar to penetrating oils. Froglube does not clean like a solvent by dissolving chemical bonds but gets in between loose particles and coats the surface like a penetrating oil, preventing them from stick to each other, so it will allow loose particles to be easily removed.

So most likely your paint was already damaged by a solvent or had a paint defect from the factory (it was sprayed on dry) and chemical bonds between paint particles was already damaged or never formed properly.

FYI Amish use Horse and Buggy because of a religious belief ... not because they are better than a internal combustion engine truck. So like some who have stated " I have used Hoppes for 50 years and will not switch" your "belief" has limited your use of more modern technologies. In all reality if that is how you feel then you should be still using a Musket instead of a semi auto rifle since they worked just fine for several hundred years.

Last edited by Gunsmith Dan; 02-01-2013 at 10:13 AM..
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 AM

I use it and so far I like it, I got it after a good friend of mine recommended it. My wife appreciates it as the smell isn't as offensive as the solvents I used to use. In fact it smells pretty good.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agl1911 View Post
I use it and so far I like it, I got it after a good friend of mine recommended it. My wife appreciates it as the smell isn't as offensive as the solvents I used to use. In fact it smells pretty good.
Yep, minty fresh.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
FYI Amish use Horse and Buggy because of a religious belief ... not because they are better than a internal combustion engine truck. So like some who have stated " I have used Hoppes for 50 years and will not switch" your "belief" has limited your use of more modern technologies. In all reality if that is how you feel then you should be still using a Musket instead of a semi auto rifle since they worked just fine for several hundred years.
Has nothing to do with religion. It's about being independent and not tied to the government. Amish believe in a small community supporting itself. Their self governing mentality is not based in religion. it's just old school Ohio farm boy mentality. My Dad was the same way and not the least bit Amish or religious. It's just good solid work and life ethic. You won't find one Amish person that is apart of the community receiving any type of government welfare. When they want something they pay cash for it, in full, up front. No credit, no loans, no nothing. Just a fat wad of cash.
Some Amish do own cars but they didn't take loans for them. They know full well you can't travel cross country in a buggy. I've sat next to them on commercial jets too. These people own Businesses that use modern machinery, computers, electricity, heating oil and natural gas. There are a select few that are basically orthodox Amish but the majority are just ever so slightly off the grid. And I think a wee bit better for it too. I see your point but the question was if Froglube was as good or better then current products? At it's current price hell no.
The properties don't justify the price. Again I'll stick with what I know that works and until froglube gets it's price to a competitive level I won't be using it.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Good old Wrangler John ... the guy you can count on to make comments that not only make no sense ..... but he even makes it worst when he replies

Animal Lard worked ok when Flintlock Muskets were the latest technology out there ..... you don't see packets of animal lard sold at the Gun Shops now.
No, but you do see gun butter, and it smells a lot like frog lube....and probably shares some similar ingrediants, like beeswax.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 PM

I have used it with great results on pistol and AR platforms. On my M1A's no. I tried it and it showed wear quickly, so I went back to grease. I don't personally believe it works any better than any other lube as far as a "lube" my 2 reasons I use it is, its safe and its works great as a cleaner and makes cleaning much faster since carbon does not adhere to it. Its not expensive because a little goes a very long way, I have cleaned my guns 100's of times and have not even put a noticeable dent in the large paste container.
Old 03-25-2013, 6:22 PM

Similar question guys. When I take my MV41 bolt carrier group apart for cleaning, I've been using a small amount of gas in a pan to slosh around and cut the grease and dirt before drying off and re-applying gun lube. Any idea if this is in any way harmful to my components? I can' see how it would be but just wondering...

Thanks,
Old 03-25-2013, 6:50 PM

All I know is that the venerable James Yeager uses it and hasn't had any problems with it.
Old 03-27-2013, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida View Post
Similar question guys. When I take my MV41 bolt carrier group apart for cleaning, I've been using a small amount of gas in a pan to slosh around and cut the grease and dirt before drying off and re-applying gun lube. Any idea if this is in any way harmful to my components? I can' see how it would be but just wondering...

Thanks,
If the bolt has any rubber O-rings gasoline will eat them up. If its all stell you have nothing to worry about. I always use 91% isopropyl alcohol.
Old 03-27-2013, 4:44 PM

I am tempted to try simple green, has anybody tried it on their gun, it works great on other stuff as a degreaser.
Old 03-27-2013, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prenub View Post
Anyone try the Froglube on your gun? I recently heard about it and its suppose to be some organic paste that you heat on to your firearm. Sounds kinda weird and the video and reviews seem to be biased. Anyone try it? If it works, I might have to get some and apply it to my bcg.
Bottle of FL is in my kit with all the usuals. I use it - I like it.

That'd be my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-28-2013, 5:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Took my AR to the range a few weeks ago and this stuff really works. Wiped my BCG and upper clean with a couple paper towels, ran a boresnake through the barrel, lubed the BCG back up and was done cleaning. Took maybe 5 minutes.

Old 03-28-2013, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
Again I'll stick with what I know that works and until froglube gets it's price to a competitive level I won't be using it.
Agreed. And I define "competitive" as being the same price as a container of ATF.
Old 03-28-2013, 8:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolillo View Post
Agreed. And I define "competitive" as being the same price as a container of ATF.
ATF doesn't even come close to Froglube.

Old 03-28-2013, 9:38 PM

Quote:
ATF doesn't even come close to Froglube.
Right. One is $4 or $5 bucks a quart and the other is $4 or $5 bucks an ounce. One has tens-of-millions of vehicle-years of use in precise hydraulic systems with rotating/sliding gears, shafts, and pumps, all at elevated temperatures and shock loads. The other is sold by some dude at a gun show in between the beef jerky booths.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolillo View Post
Right. One is $4 or $5 bucks a quart and the other is $4 or $5 bucks an ounce. One has tens-of-millions of vehicle-years of use in precise hydraulic systems with rotating/sliding gears, shafts, and pumps, all at elevated temperatures and shock loads. The other is sold by some dude at a gun show in between the beef jerky booths.
If you had ever used Froglube you'd change your tune. Different products for different uses. For one thing firearms don't have filters for their fluids or a reserve of oil that is constantly flowing. Try putting a thin coat of motor oil in your cylinders and see how many minutes your engine lasts. Ever notice how you have to top off your engines oil level every couple weeks or so? Yeah, it's constantly burning off.

Old 03-29-2013, 7:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Took my AR to the range a few weeks ago and this stuff really works. Wiped my BCG and upper clean with a couple paper towels, ran a boresnake through the barrel, lubed the BCG back up and was done cleaning. Took maybe 5 minutes.

I would like to see pics of the before and after of
your BCG.

Mainly what you consider clean.

Because i have yet to find anything that will remove
the carbon on the tail and inside the bcg with a wipe of a cloth.

A bore snake has its purpose but there is a reason
The M16 has 2 brushes.
"" Chamber brush""

Former Frog Lube user.

Stick to what works.

BF CLP, or my favorite SLIP2000.
SUPERLUBE for grease

And a CAT4 tool for carbon removal
George Patton

Last edited by uxo2; 03-29-2013 at 7:13 AM..