Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 08-06-2008, 12:40 AM

Default AK Bolt cutter question.

What modification is made to a 36 inch bolt cutter to make it an AK rivet tool.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2008, 1:38 AM

Usually 36" bolt cutter is for the rear trunion - long rivits and forms the round head.

24" Harbor freight are usually used fir the front trunion and squishing the pancake heads. Either with a dimple in one jaw or mini bucking plate to protect the "factory" round head that is on the rivit.

The best bolt cutters are the one with the extra pivit arms that are adjustable with a bolt. The other type *just straight handles are not as adjustable - you have to grind metal off the handle stops to get jaws to close more after you grind jaw metal away.

Today I bought (I finally found) small french curves. $2.99 at AB Blicks. To help round out the jaws so the less likely to crack or fail. There is a thread about the bolt cutter.

I bought a good one 24" front trunion - I was thinking on improvements (as all ways)

Here is other thread. With pictures of everything.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ht=bolt+cutter

The bolt cutter was the best/easiest part of the build process so far. I should finish my idea for the CLAMPO MATIC rivit squisher. If I could do all the rivits with possibly two bolt cutters it would be better than the maddness i have perpetrated so far.

Harbor Freight sometimes has most sizes of bolt cutters on sale.

***This DOES NOT constitute GOOD or SANE legal - professional gunsmithing - psychiatric MD - tax - accounting -gardening advice. Please contactact qualified a professional in their repective specialties.*** AWHHH go ahead and mix match specialities that could be funny!!!!!

Last edited by Utha Schleigle; 08-06-2008 at 1:40 AM..
Old 08-06-2008, 7:03 AM
Veteran Member

search on the akfiles. there is a tutorial there on bolt cutter mods. 24" is usually the donor tool.
Old 08-06-2008, 2:00 PM

Thanks fellas.
Old 08-06-2008, 3:18 PM

More links BABY.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...ht=bolt+cutter

Let US know what you do. Maybe your idea is better than what has been made before. Necessity is the mother of invention. Hard work - failed experiments - marginal success - disasster could be the possible father.

***This DOES NOT constitute GOOD or SANE legal - professional gunsmithing - psychiatric MD - tax - accounting -gardening advice. Please contactact qualified a professional in their repective specialties.*** AWHHH go ahead and mix match specialities that could be funny!!!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 3:32 PM

The trick is to not get the metal too hot so go slow and cool it. You do not want to change the temper and have it break. Granted those rivets are pretty soft, but still. Unless you are good at metal work I would just buy one. restorit makes a great product and is priced reasonably. Just look for him on the ak builders sites.

or here ya go ...

http://home.comcast.net/~restoreit1/index.htm
Old 08-07-2008, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles2912 View Post
The trick is to not get the metal too hot so go slow and cool it. You do not want to change the temper and have it break. Granted those rivets are pretty soft, but still. Unless you are good at metal work I would just buy one. restorit makes a great product and is priced reasonably. Just look for him on the ak builders sites.

or here ya go ...

http://home.comcast.net/~restoreit1/index.htm
I bought mine from RESTOREIT and it worked as advertise - the used one sounds good to.

Old 08-07-2008, 7:50 PM
Veteran Member

i have a set i have been thinking about selling only used once.pm me if interested.