Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns > Handguns Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Handguns Gallery Post your pictures of your favorite sidearm here.

Old 04-26-2012, 8:10 AM

Default Sig or HK?

I am in the market for a new .45. I have broken the search down to 2 contenders. The HK USP 45 and the SIG P220Carry.
I own Sigs in other calibers and love them. Something about the weight of the gun just feels right. The narrow single stack grip fits well and my wife is comfortable with them too. (that is a big deal me).
The HK would be a new venture for me. Part Poly part Metal. It is a lighter gun, double stack grip, however no advantage to that in California. I have shot both guns and both feel great.
So if prices were absolutely equal, which would you go with. And please, only those who own/ have owned these guns please.
Old 04-26-2012, 8:25 AM
Calguns Addict

HKs are over rated and over priced IMO.

Sigs are only borderline over rated and over priced.

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!"
-Chesty Puller-

-Dimitri, I'm sorry they're jamming your radar and flying so low, but they're trained to do it. You know, it's, it's initiative!-
Old 04-26-2012, 8:30 AM

I am a big Sig fan. When it come time to buy a 1911, I bought a Sig's 1911. With that said, I also have a HK USP. It is my only non-Sig and also my only polymer pistol. And I am very happy with it.
I am not saying that the HK USP is better than P220, but it is a good pistol and it is different, and I bought it on that ground.
My prediction is, if you buy one now you will buy the other later.
Old 04-26-2012, 8:32 AM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

How large is your hand? I struggle a bit with the Double action pull of the bulky USP. Plus, I hate the gritty pull of the HK. Having said that, I think my HK is inherently just a bit more accurate than my Sig.

Not that you can't change your sights later, but right out the box, I always do better with the bar/dot sights from Sig than the 3 dot system on other guns. Others prefer it the other way around, but I like bar/dot.
Old 04-26-2012, 8:35 AM

Default Personal Preference

@Hopy, regardless of our opinions, you should shoot both and see which one YOU like & shoot best. It's your gun not ours.

Last edited by HK35; 04-26-2012 at 10:21 AM..
Old 04-26-2012, 8:40 AM

As others have said it comes down to personal feel/fit. The good news is they are both great firearms so you really can't go wrong.
Old 04-26-2012, 8:43 AM
Calguns Addict

SIG......but if i were buying an HK it would probably be the USP. Can't really go wrong with either especially if you already know that you like them both. Maybe switching things up a bit could be fun...like wife swapping with Swedish lesbians!

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 04-26-2012, 9:00 AM

SIG vs HK, the answer is, "yes."

As mentioned, both are outstanding. The P220 Carry is one of my CCW pistols, and it has been outstanding. The P220 family also gives you a broad selection of (after market) grip options; wood or Hogue rubber panels if you like a handfull, to the slim factory plastic for the skinniest back end, plus aluminum and G10 options as well.

That said, there are those, including a number of die hard SIG guys, who will opine that HK might have a slight edge (these days) in terms of quality. I own several SIGs, and only one HK (P2000 SK) and love both brands. FWIW, my next pistol purchase will be another HK.
Old 04-26-2012, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK35 View Post
@Hoppy, regardless of our opinions, you should shoot both and see which one YOU like & shoot best. It's your gun not ours.
I have shot both. About 200 rounds through each, swapping back and forth every magazine. They both feel great, that is why I am conflicted
Old 04-26-2012, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thai562 View Post
I am a big Sig fan. When it come time to buy a 1911, I bought a Sig's 1911. With that said, I also have a HK USP. It is my only non-Sig and also my only polymer pistol. And I am very happy with it.
I am not saying that the HK USP is better than P220, but it is a good pistol and it is different, and I bought it on that ground.
My prediction is, if you buy one now you will buy the other later.
Yeah, you got me there. What are your thoughts in term of resale? You think the Sig holds its value better than HK?
Old 04-26-2012, 9:27 AM

I don't own either weapon, but I have their 9mm counter parts in the 226 and the USP. I really like both. But I shoot the H&K slightly better than the SIG. Can't quite figure it out exactly, but the H&K always seen to group just a bit tighter.

In regards to resale, I think both hold their value well. The HK seems to be more rare at least in the calguns classifieds.

Truthfully, you really can't go wrong with either one.
Old 04-26-2012, 9:28 AM

They both holds their value very well given that both are in the same condition. The HK might have a head up on the resale value because they are all made in Germany.
Sig are now making their pistols in the US and a lot of people are questioning their QC.

Also the HK USP Polygonal rifling add to its cool factor.

Last edited by thai562; 04-26-2012 at 9:31 AM..
Old 04-26-2012, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thai562 View Post
They both holds their value very well given that both are in the same condition. The HK might have a head up on the resale value because they are all made in Germany.
Sig are now making their pistols in the US and a lot of people are questioning their QC.

Also the HK USP Polygonal rifling add to its cool factor.
I have heard that about the Sigs which would explain why everyone is always looking for German made Sigs.
Old 04-26-2012, 9:37 AM

I really love my HK P30L... And my 226 Navy, but if I had to sell one, bye bye Sig...

Possibly look at the HK 45C, same grip style as the p30 but a .45...

Quote:
Originally Posted by willerfortheworld View Post
Why buy a glock, drive a Honda, and drink budlight when you can buy a cz, drive a Subaru and drink heineken?
Priceless
Old 04-26-2012, 9:42 AM

HK, hands down. To me, it's not even close as Sigs QC has completely gone down hill...
Old 04-26-2012, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalmedix View Post
I really love my HK P30L... And my 226 Navy, but if I had to sell one, bye bye Sig...

Possibly look at the HK 45C, same grip style as the p30 but a .45...
Thanks for that. I will presume the C stands for compact. Also, I want to claim you as my new friend since you are a Steelers Fan. Man do I hope they seal up that OL this draft.
Old 04-26-2012, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopy View Post
Thanks for that. I will presume the C stands for compact. Also, I want to claim you as my new friend since you are a Steelers Fan. Man do I hope they seal up that OL this draft.
You and me both man, no, the 45c doesn't stand for compact, it stands for combat pistol, it is a totally different style from a USP...

Look here

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CB4Q8wIwAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by willerfortheworld View Post
Why buy a glock, drive a Honda, and drink budlight when you can buy a cz, drive a Subaru and drink heineken?
Priceless
Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 AM

I've owned both Sig and HK...still have the Sig. I prefer the Sig ergonomics and agree that HK's are overpriced. Sigs aren't cheap either but I feel they're worth it.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:46 AM

I love both guns but if i had to choose between the two i would pick the Sig 220...I only like the HK USP in 9mm compact...What about the Glock 21? I hear nothing but good things about it...