Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-31-2012, 10:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Default C&R Shotgun barrel shortening

Looked around couldn't find the answer to this question:

If a C&R shotgun has it's barrel shortened by the owner (03 FFL holder) -

Can it still be sold as a C&R...?

Any links to the info/regulations?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Unless it was cut down to a barrel length that was offered at the time if manufacture, I would say it has been sporterized so no longer C&R.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curi...#modifications
Q: What modifications can be made on C&R firearms without changing their C&R classification?
The definition for curio or relic (“C & R”) firearms found in 27 CFR § 478.11 does not specifically state that a firearm must be in its original condition to be classified as a C&R firearm. However, ATF Ruling 85-10, which discusses the importation of military C&R firearms, notes that they must be in original configuration and adds that a receiver is not a C&R item. Combining this ruling and the definition of C&R firearms, the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) has concluded that a firearm must be in its original condition to be considered a C&R weapon.

It is also the opinion of FTB, however, that a minor change such as the addition of scope mounts, non-original sights, or sling swivels would not remove a firearm from its original condition. Moreover, we have determined that replacing particular firearms parts with new parts that are made to the original design would also be acceptable-for example, replacing a cracked M1 Grand stock with a new wooden stock of the same design, but replacing the original firearm stock with a plastic stock would change its classification as a C&R item.
Q: What is a firearm curio or relic?
Firearm curios or relics include firearms which have special value to collectors because they possess some qualities not ordinarily associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:
1.Have been manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof; or
2.Be certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; or
3.Derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or from the fact of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

[27 CFR 478.11]

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 07-31-2012, 11:57 AM

I go by the above posted opinion of the ATF Firearms Technology Branch and say it's more than a minor alteration; and therefore it falls out of the C&R category. It's not exactly law; but an ATF/FTB opinion.

You'll find people who feel as long as it's 50 years old, it's still C&R. I cannot say they are wrong. But, I choose the safest definition.

For the purpose of transfer, I would not treat it as C&R. However, if I did own it, as a licensed C&R holder, I would record it in my A&D book. Again, wishing to err of the safe side.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt (1759-1806)
Old 07-31-2012, 12:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Roger that - Thanx guys...
Old 08-03-2012, 1:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Glad you asked Danny. I just had this question come up the other day & now I educated my neighbor & myself.

I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Secret Club Member?.