Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 01-26-2013, 1:29 PM

Default Looking for a good Shotgun for Sporting Clay and Trap Under $1500

Hi everyone!

I am looking to purchase a new shotgun that will be used for Sporting Clay and Trap. I want to get something nice and probably a 28" barrel as it will be used by my wife as well. We are both fairly small so a 30" may be too large. I am new to it but am a experienced shooter outside of shooting Clay and Trap.

What do you all recommend un the sub $1500 price range? If spending an additional $300 or so will get me something MUCH better than give me some suggestions in that range.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 01-26-2013, 1:50 PM

I have a Beretta Model 686 that I really enjoy. You can probably find one in your price range. It's an over and under.
Old 01-26-2013, 1:53 PM

First of, get what you like/what appeals to you, what feels/fits (with adjustable stocks/shims, fit can be tuned to your preferences), within your budget...

Do note that barrel length is less important to one's height/dimensions than is length of pull... and if we're talking about overall lengths, a Benelli with a 28" is going to be as long, if not longer, than a 30" O/U due to the receiver length.

That being said:

$1500-1800 recommendations (new):

Semiautos:

Benelli Supersport
Benelli Sport II

Beretta 391 (take your pick - Teknys (most expensive new at 2k), Urika 2, etc)
Beretta A400 Excel (if you don't mind the blue receiver...also available in parallel comb/stepped rib versions with recoil reducing stocks)

O/U:

There are certain versions of the Browning Citori, and Beretta 686, that can be had for just under 2k (usually field guns)

Now, if you're buying used: 1500-1800 can get you (with some patience and searching)

Beretta 682, 686 variations
Browning Citori Special Sporting Clays
Browning Citori XT
a good number of Beretta 391 variations for around 1k

Last edited by RayPDA; 01-26-2013 at 2:02 PM..
Old 01-26-2013, 2:46 PM

A Browning 425 is another good choice.
Old 01-26-2013, 3:37 PM

You might try hanging out a your local clays range, ask and note what is popular, what works for most and the bulletin board as many times there are deals to be had from sellers there.

As stated earlier, fit is the most important issue, if it don't fit, it won't work as well....will it be sufficient....prolly, but it will be great and you'll dust more clays if it fits properly.

Dunno where you're located, but a trip to PSA (Pacific Sporting Arms) in Azusa would also be a good idea as John is a master gun fitter. A little pricier than your local Turners or Big 5, but a really cool place to visit and buy if you can, the experience is worthwhile IMO.
Old 01-26-2013, 3:37 PM

Hi
I have a Benelli super sport and a Benelli Cordoba 12 gauge and 20 gauge respectively I would sell
Mint condition
Pm me if interested
Old 01-26-2013, 3:47 PM

Benelli Legacy.
Beautiful shotgun and very soft recoil. Close to 2k though.
Old 01-26-2013, 4:04 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svrds View Post
Hi everyone!

I am looking to purchase a new shotgun that will be used for Sporting Clay and Trap. I want to get something nice and probably a 28" barrel as it will be used by my wife as well. We are both fairly small so a 30" may be too large. I am new to it but am a experienced shooter outside of shooting Clay and Trap.

What do you all recommend un the sub $1500 price range? If spending an additional $300 or so will get me something MUCH better than give me some suggestions in that range.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Like others have said, you need to decide between semi-auto or O/U

Semi-auto has many more options in your price range from Beretta, Benelli, and many other quality brands. $1k to $1500 will buy a very nice high quality semi.

O/U has a much smaller selection thats under $2k and still considered decent quality. You can get into a base Browning Citori for under $1500, and the base model Berettas run just under $2k. Stay away from the cheaper O/U's like the mossberg or Browning Cynergy- its better to buy a used gun or a semi-auto at that point.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-28-2013, 9:31 AM

Quote:
O/U has a much smaller selection thats under $2k and still considered decent quality. You can get into a base Browning Citori for under $1500, and the base model Berettas run just under $2k. Stay away from the cheaper O/U's like the mossberg or Browning Cynergy- its better to buy a used gun or a semi-auto at that point.
I would not compare a Browning Cynergy to a Mossberg. The Cynergy may not be appreciated by purists but it is one smooth swinging shotgun. Not to mention, the gun might fit you better due to the lower receiver height of the Cynergy. Instead of looking into the back of a traditional receiver, you would look over the top of the Cynergy receiver. I love my Citori's but also really enjoy shooting the Cynergy.

Just remember...fit is the most important. Hopefully you can find a gun that will fit both of you but that may be a challenge due to the differences in male and female bodies. If recoil may be an issue for either of you, you may want to stick with a semi-auto. Recoil from an o/u will hit harder unless the gun is weighted which may tire you out from holding a heavy gun. There are lots of things to think about.
Old 01-28-2013, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

Are you looking for semi auto or O/U ?

I have a Beretta A400 Xtreme (moded for clays with Briley extended chokes, Briley extended charging handle, Briley extended bolt release, polished trigger job, mid-bead installed) I find the recoil absorption of the Xtreme much better, I've had 100 lb girls shooting 12 gauge through it without problems.

I also have a Franchi Sporting Alicone SL 30" O/U, great value with ported barrels and uses Benelli chokes (common)
Old 01-28-2013, 3:36 PM
Calguns Addict

If you are near LA, you should visit Pacific Sporting Arms (PSA) in Azusa and ask for John, the owner.
PSA has some really expensive guns, but they should have several in your price range. Take your wife with you so John can properly 'fit' a gun too both of you.
Good luck.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 AM

In that price range I would suggest a Browning Citori.

I shoot trap and sporting clays as well and started out with a Remington 870 but quickly got tired of the pump. I read many reviews and rented a couple different O/Us but decided on the Citori. Mine is a field model (Citori Lightning), so it's on the lower end but seems to work well.
Old 02-04-2013, 2:12 AM
Banned

It's tough to recommend a shotgun to somebody. Buying a shotgun is like buying a car or a pair of shoes.

Lots of different choices, and tough for random guys on the interweb to pick the right one for you.

Much like getting married, it's all about the test drive.