Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
I'm not sure whether to contact Feinstein or Harris to ask them to support reciprocity bill. Choices, choices...
Yep. Laughable. There is nothing, NOTHING, that ANYONE could do, to get those *****es to vote in our interest. As per usual, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to call our legislators.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure whether to contact Feinstein or Harris to ask them to support reciprocity bill. Choices, choices...
When I reach out to them, it will not be to support reciprocity. Since it is currently tied to Fix NICS, I will go that route. I can't wait to read their spin on how they are not going to vote in support of fixing the system.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:22 PM

Talking Will someone take one for the team already?!

I think that if just one or two of us good folks on here were to 'take one for the team' and sleep with Pelosi and/or Feinstein... like maybe have some firearms-related pillow-talk before making whoopee, then give them a nice oil massage while continuing to talk about law-abiding citizens carrying guns....then perhaps Pelosi and Feinstein might finally loosen up a bit and start caring about the Constitution and our rights again. Maybe? Just maybe?! EDIT: Oh, and sorry to say but I do not have to fortitude to handle this task either, it's going to take a big man to own up to this one obviously haha.

Last edited by D32134534; 12-08-2017 at 12:25 PM..
Old 12-08-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D32134534 View Post
I think that if just one or two of us good folks on here were to 'take one for the team' and sleep with Pelosi and/or Feinstein... like maybe have some firearms-related pillow-talk before making whoopee, then give them a nice oil massage while continuing to talk about law-abiding citizens carrying guns....then perhaps Pelosi and Feinstein might finally loosen up a bit and start caring about the Constitution and our rights again. Maybe? Just maybe?!
I'll give up my guns, thanks. LOL
Old 12-08-2017, 12:29 PM

@ladiver,

I wasn't sure about contacting or Senators. However, i like your idea about only addressing Fix NICS.

I think I'll take that approach. I sure would be curious to see their reply.
Old 12-08-2017, 1:14 PM

Quote:
LoL.. right?

The lack of representation for gun owners in this state is mind blowing. When you consider the number of people who live in counties that support gun rights, yet nationally we are represented by what amounts to SF & LA.. Simply terrible.
Old 12-08-2017, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump1 View Post
@ladiver,

I wasn't sure about contacting or Senators. However, i like your idea about only addressing Fix NICS.

I think I'll take that approach. I sure would be curious to see their reply.
Yeah, no. They aren't going to vote for reciprocity anyway. Contacting those two about the NICS bill will just embolden them to attempt to strip reciprocity out.
Old 12-08-2017, 1:45 PM

There is a pretty good chance of that.
Old 12-08-2017, 1:49 PM
Calguns Addict

CA will pass a law requiring those with out of state permits to also get a CA one which they will deny and then notify your issuing state that you are a denied person in your own state which will lead them to cancel your permit.
Old 12-08-2017, 2:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
CA will pass a law requiring those with out of state permits to also get a CA one which they will deny and then notify your issuing state that you are a denied person in your own state which will lead them to cancel your permit.
That would not invalidate federal law. There's nothing CA could do if this law passed other than create more gun freezones and prohibited places. Your example would be akin to invalidating a Nevada drivers license for a Nevada resident in California and require the Nevada resident to get a CA permit.
Old 12-08-2017, 2:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladiver View Post
When I reach out to them, it will not be to support reciprocity. Since it is currently tied to Fix NICS, I will go that route.
Nice touch. My guess is that they will just have a form letter that will talk about the "dangers of reciprocity" and "big bad NRA gun lobby" as a reason why this "sham bill" cannot pass.

Feinstein is a ranking Democrat and she won't vote in any way that is not beneficial to the Democratic party. It will come down to senators who are up for reelection and who are in shall-issue states that Trump won or narrowly lost. The "Fix NICS" gives them cover if they choose to vote "aye" and it's unlikely that the Democratic party will have enough power to force them to toe the party line if they are facing general election loss. It's even less likely that the party could challenge them in the primary from the left, as they need to move to the right.

I don't have much expectations, but there is always hope. It's also encouraging that the House bill moved forward, as it might indicate there were negotiations in the Senate that might just make it all work.
Old 12-08-2017, 2:48 PM

@wireless, good rebuttal.

@IVC, it's good to have hope and be otimistic.
Old 12-08-2017, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCamper View Post
Yep. Laughable. There is nothing, NOTHING, that ANYONE could do, to get those *****es to vote in our interest. As per usual, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to call our legislators.
I am considering contacting them. Not out of any - ANY - hope that they'd actually consider voting for a companion bill in the Senate.

I'd do it only to let them know their actual constituents -- people who vote for them - are not anywhere unanimous on this.

Prop 63 got 63% of the vote - almost 2:1. But that means that it also drew roughly 36% in opposition. I see national trends favoring "2A rights" issues; it's not necessarily the same in CAL. But it's also not necessarily a good idea to let elected representatives think they have a no-brainer vote in terms of their electorate.

And, if not writing to Harris & Feinstein, it makes sense to pressure other squishes in the Senate. Sure, you can't cast a vote for them, but 2A rights activists and organizations like the NRA have power in part because of the vote powers they have.

Bloomberg and other groups that oppose 2A rights deliver lots of money. But they really can't deliver the votes at the level of the NRA (because enough NRA members are single-issue voters, or near single issue voters).

The NRA is demonized by those opposed to 2A rights not because of the NRA's money, or that it's a front for gun manufacturers, or that it wants bloodshed -- the NRA is demonized because it is very, very effective at being a "community organizer." It delivers votes (for or against) those running for office with more consistency than almost every other special interest group.
Old 12-08-2017, 3:40 PM

The problem here is that politicians don't care about the issues at hand or what's good or what's bad or right or wrong or just or unjust. The problem is that for career politicians, being a politician is their job. So they are ALWAYS going to do what is right for THEM. Not for society. They'll do what gets them re-elected. It's the politician who doesn't want to be a politician who will act unselfishly. I think Plato said that in the Allegory of the Cave.

tl;dr
This sh!$ ain't happenin'
Old 12-08-2017, 3:46 PM

@Cortelli, well stated. "Prop 63 got 63% of the vote." My how things have changed in California. When i first volunteered with the NRA to defeat Prop. 15 we defeated it by a margin of sixty-something percent. Now It's flipped the other way.

@Fort6and2, politicians mostly care about getting re elected.
Old 12-08-2017, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
The problem here is that politicians don't care about the issues at hand or what's good or what's bad or right or wrong or just or unjust. The problem is that for career politicians, being a politician is their job. So they are ALWAYS going to do what is right for THEM. Not for society. They'll do what gets them re-elected. It's the politician who doesn't want to be a politician who will act unselfishly. I think Plato said that in the Allegory of the Cave.
That's why the NRA is so hated on the anti-2A rights side. Because the NRA can deliver votes, they are much better at influencing career politicians. Stich together the believers and the fingers-in-the-wind, and you build a winning coalition.

Money from special interests is attractive to politicians because they believe money buys votes, or buys influence with their colleagues. But to actually deliver votes -- that's better than money (which, again, is perceived to buy votes). The NRA doesn't come close in terms of political donations compared to dozens of other groups; but it is hated most of all because it delivers something better than money.

Quote:
tl;dr
This sh!$ ain't happenin'
I am hopeful, but pessimistic. I think it is a long shot that reciprocity actually gets signed into law (senate or house version). Still, better to work to make it happen, and either get a win or a loss that shows trends in the right direction -- let them all know we're watching, and we're voting.
Old 12-08-2017, 4:32 PM

What we need to do is contact cornyn ....and tell him to REMOVE the residents requirement before it's two late..on sb.446
...so that way.. we will have two true bills active..I'm surprised nobody has not done this yet

Last edited by stag6.8; 12-08-2017 at 4:35 PM..
Old 12-08-2017, 4:49 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'm closing this one - please use the 'joined bill' version http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1405680

Nothing at all wrong with this one, but merging the two would make a big mess, and the other is a bit closer to the current status of the bill.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Closed Thread