Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2015, 2:52 PM

Default Shooting on BLM? Clean up your mess!

Here's an article from todays New York Times on shooters leaving messes behind when they shoot on BLM or National Parks Land.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/op...ide-nyt-region

Now before anyone has a stroke over "OMG, the NYT, it's liberal", let me say that this article is very fair and balanced, INNSHO.

What they're saying is that many shooters exercising their right to fun in the National Parks are disgusting litterers, leaving broken glass, microwaves, even refrigerators out there in the park. And that is disgusting.

The article is saying that shooters ought to be subject to the same kind of rules as backpackers, four-wheelers and campers. Seems right to me.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 08-23-2015 at 2:59 PM..
Old 08-23-2015, 4:46 PM

The shooter messes litter the San Bernardino National Forest shooting areas, Calico area, popular BLM sites, and other areas. It is unfortunate.

Sure, I understand a 22, .223, or shotshell case geting left behind accidently, but those old TVs, cans, propane bottles, bowling pins, etc., well those leave behinds are no accidents, they are just laziness and sloven behavior.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Here's an article from todays New York Times on shooters leaving messes behind when they shoot on BLM or National Parks Land.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/op...ide-nyt-region

Now before anyone has a stroke over "OMG, the NYT, it's liberal", let me say that this article is very fair and balanced, INNSHO.

What they're saying is that many shooters exercising their right to fun in the National Parks are disgusting litterers, leaving broken glass, microwaves, even refrigerators out there in the park. And that is disgusting.

The article is saying that shooters ought to be subject to the same kind of rules as backpackers, four-wheelers and campers. Seems right to me.

While I agree that shooters on BLM land need to do a better job cleaning up after themselves, I would hardly call that editorial fair and balanced. That was the most inflammatory piece of yellow journalism I've seen in......well, since the last time I read the NYT.

Here are just a few of the fair and balanced quotes:

Quote:
"...with hikers and conservationists warning that virtual free-fire zones threaten not only national forests...."
Quote:
"Citizens describe scenes resembling war zones, as volleys of gunfire roll across the mountains."
Quote:
"Target shooters deserve no less for the heightened risks they are selfishly creating. The national forests are no place for gun mayhem."
The editorial greatly overstates the actual impact of shooting on the millions of acres of BLM and National Forest lands. It paints a grossly negative portrayal of shooters without ever acknowledging the efforts of shooters and shooting organizations to clean up ranges on public land.

I don't really think the NYT editorial board really gives a crap about trash in shooting areas. The intent of this piece is to further demonize and marginalize shooters.

BTW: Every time I have shot on BLM land I have spent as much time cleaning up as I did shooting. I always pack out more trash than I take. Everybody who shoots on public land should take some time to do a little cleaning up before leaving. It will help beat back the antis when they try to use this issue against us. But no matter how clean we keep the ranges, they will always find some other thing with which to attack us. They hate guns and they hate the fact that we have the constitutional right to own guns. They will continue doing everything in their power to make it as difficult as possible for us to exercise that constitutional right.

Proud former California resident
Old 08-24-2015, 7:56 PM

I don't want to argue about rhetoric. I just want people who shoot on public land to clean up after themselves....
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.