Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 11-09-2017, 5:18 PM

Default RAW (Rapid Air Weaspons)

Has anyone bought and used the RAW guns yet? Im looking for a good long range 100-200 yard gun , not sure if to go with the 25 or 30 cal yet maybe someone can help me cut thru the learning curve , I have heard alot of good things on the RAW guns as they are hand made , and here in the USA, I like the FX guns but im not waiting any longer to get a crown or Impact
Old 11-09-2017, 7:03 PM

I don't have one, but I have been doing lots of research on them and FX, for a couple of years. I want to reach out just a tad more for squirrels, so I'm thinking .25. Folks rave about them, but say they are long and heavy, compared to FX, and not as quiet either. Can't get myself to commit, so I kill everything within 75yds with my Marauder.
Old 11-09-2017, 8:55 PM

Yeah, I also have no personal experience with the RAW, looked at them hard, but went with an FX Wildcat in .25 caliber.
I can safely state that the FX is WAY better than the original Air Force .25 that I had and also better than the .22 Air Arms S510 that I still have. The AA is a great rifle, but the FX is superior in every way. It is a bullpup style, but that suits my need exactly. Highly accurate, fairly quiet, I did install a Huggett and it is much quieter than the FX extensions. I would NOT buy the extensions again. Good shot count, factory regulated, unbelievable power. Longest kill to date is 121 ranged yards on a ground squirrel (you know those guys are tough).
I have heard nothing but good reports on all of the RAW's, that's why I gave them a very strong look before making the Wildcat decision. I would still like to buy a RAW if/when there is a good deal out there.
Old 11-10-2017, 2:36 AM

Thanks , I currently own a Invoairtech mac 35 great gun but with them changeing over there line of guns theres little or no support, disappointed to say the least ,love the concept of a cartridge gun but if you cant get cartriges ,its time to move on to another gun, plus competition shooting is why im looking for a good distance gun. Selling guns at my shop has opened my eyes to this new and growing sport
Old 11-10-2017, 9:44 PM

RAW makes excellent high end "pellet" guns, a bit underpowered for 200 yards. For long range I would consider looking into Big Bores such as the Texan, Slayer, Bushbuck or a modified Condor.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:11 AM

We have a .30 RAW HM1000x. As for shooting paper, 50 yards is boring. 75 yards is fun but dime-sized targets are the norm. On my property, we can go to about 110 yards so we set up a metal “squirrel” resettable “pellet gun” target at about 105 yards. The first time using it, it looked like someone had used a ballpeen hammer and mugged the squirrel, it was bent in so many places. The steel looked like it was 1/8” thick, not terribly thick but going against 50 grain lead pellets. With the two moving targets, 1.5” and 2” diameters, I’ve been able to hit and reset them with six consecutive shots. I think that’s pretty good with a breeze blowing across the shooting direction. I’ve also had three consecutive hits on a “bright object” (likely sunlight reflecting off a soda can from the sound of impact) that was 128 yards UP a hillside from my usual prone shooting position.

We got the .30 for use with coyotes, a problem in our neighborhood. From the looks of the metal target, it has plenty of power and accuracy to take out a ‘yote at that distance. We haven’t had a chance to shoot it at greater distances though.

I’ll say that the RAW is an extremely well made air rifle. Noise is comparable to a pneumatic nail gun, no worse. The sound of a pellet impacting a 2 x 4 at 75 yards is louder than the report from the rifle muzzle. My only criticism is that the 9-pellet magazine, while functional and reliable, is plastic. Kind of like having a Lamborghini with wood vinyl tape on the dashboard. The RAW has a very sweet trigger. Tolerances and finish are very good. Barrels can be changed out between .177, .22, .25 and .30 calibers. The .357 uses a larger receiver so it isn’t compatible with the smaller sizes. Note that the smaller the bore, the less air used per shot. We get about 36 shots per fill on the rifle’s bottle with the .30 caliber. There’s a sweet spot, even though the rifle’s air is “regulated” to deliver consistently like air charge each shot, between 150-180 BAR. A full bottle fill is 230 BAR. It’s not that it’s inaccurate outside the sweet spot. More like it isn’t as surgically precise. In the sweet spot, it’s especially impressive.
Old 11-11-2017, 1:24 PM

Is the length and weight manageable for carrying and off hand? 10lbs and almost 4 feet long, makes me balk.
I'd have to go walnut stock, ultralight scope, carbon fibre bottle. How is yours configured?
Old 11-11-2017, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post
Is the length and weight manageable for carrying and off hand? 10lbs and almost 4 feet long, makes me balk.
I'd have to go walnut stock, ultralight scope, carbon fibre bottle. How is yours configured?

For offhand, I'd say it's a bit heavy. The weight is an asset for when it's on a stand or bipod where the rifle excels. One possibility is to talk with Martin, the man behind the brand, and explain your concerns. He may already be working on a lightweight version, maybe with a synthetic stock. The machined pieces can't be adding to the weight (compared to an AR, for example) so I think the heft is mostly from the stock.

Old 11-11-2017, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post
I don't have one, but I have been doing lots of research on them and FX, for a couple of years. I want to reach out just a tad more for squirrels, so I'm thinking .25. Folks rave about them, but say they are long and heavy, compared to FX, and not as quiet either. Can't get myself to commit, so I kill everything within 75yds with my Marauder.
A friend had his .22 Marauder over and we compared shooting the RAW and his Benjie. At 75 yards, the RAW pellets weren't really visible in flight and had a pretty flat trajectory. The Marauder was a very different story, like a howitzer lobbing shells to the target! You could watch the pellets literally dropping down into the bullseye. Very accurate but definitely not a flat trajectory. But as long as there's enough velocity / energy when it hits its target.

The .25 has a good reputation for its long range accuracy. And you can swap calibers between the .177, .22, .25 and .30 so that adds versatility.
Old 11-12-2017, 6:14 AM

Beautiful rifle. I know what you mean about the trajectory, that's why I want to move up to .25. I've got 3 acres, and granola neighbors, so I still have to be relatively quiet for my squirrel project. I've killed over 100 with my Marauder, while the neighbors have a pool party. I may have to go FX Royle 500; its a tad shorter, almost 4lbs lighter withe the carbon fibre bottle, and quieter, from what I understand. I don't think the build quality as anywhere near as nice as the RAW.
Old 11-16-2017, 3:51 PM

I have a real purddy Dan Wesson PM7 with some nice upgrades for anyone looking to trade their RAW... lol
"Governments don't want a population capable of critical thinking. They want obedient workers, just smart enough to run the machines and just dumb enough to passively accept their situation." - George Carlin
Old 11-18-2017, 7:45 AM

I think these guns from Rapid Air will hold there value over the years over the others just because of the craftsmanship and being hand made and put together by one man they are the Teslas of the air gun world right now, we need this right now in the U.S. with soooo much being made over seas, there making more powerful competition guns now that the competition has gotten better , Im thinkin ill be getting ahold of Martin this week to place my order
Old 12-05-2017, 9:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ive had RAW, FX and Theoben.

The RAW was the most accurate, but their guns are geared more towards benchrest, than toting around.

I'd say of all, they're the highest quality.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:36 AM

I had a short conversation with Martin, the main guy at RAW. Mentioned parts of the above thread to him. Left me with the feeling that RAW may be listening, working on a lighter model... Nothing for sure but then he didn't even come close to saying "Ain't going to happen."