Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-20-2017, 10:37 PM
GPAR GPAR is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fontana
Posts: 16
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default First serious scope- Viper, SWFA, or?

Hi all. looking for my first scope (other than a couple of vintage 4x's that came on the rifles). It's for a Ruger SR762 that will be used as my main all-around rifle and range toy. I've got 62 year old eyes and can't afford to practice as much as I used to, so probably nothing over 300 yards.

I had almost decided on the Vortex Viper 2.5-10 (seems to get a good reviews, great warranty), but then I saw the thread on the 3-15 SWFA (has side parallax adjustment, but I couldn't find anything on the warranty)

Love to hear views on these two from those who know, or other suggestions in the same price range. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-20-2017, 11:02 PM
CSACANNONEER's Avatar
CSACANNONEER CSACANNONEER is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 41,342
iTrader: 125 / 100%
Blog Entries: 4
Default

The SWFA has a great warranty. I had a fixed 20X that I carried as an emergency back up for one of my 50BMGs for a few years. I got rid of it when I got a second NF NXS. a few years ago, I ended up buying a plinking 50BMG and bought another fixed power SWFA scope for it. While the clarity is not that of a +$1500 optic, for the price, they are hard to beat.
__________________
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
Ventura County approved CCW Instructor


Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-23-2017, 2:14 PM
sffred's Avatar
sffred sffred is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SF BAY AREA
Posts: 2,221
iTrader: 101 / 100%
Default

both the
SWFA 3-15x and Viper 2.5-10 are GTG.

Since you are mounting on a 7.62 I highly recommend the SWFA (heavier but built like a tank)

Usually I prefer 34mm main tubes for .308/7.62 NATO/6.5Creedmoor

I mainly stick with 30mm main tubes for 5.56/.223/.300BO/762x39
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-23-2017, 5:42 PM
1911RONIN's Avatar
1911RONIN 1911RONIN is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 947
iTrader: 42 / 100%
Default

SWFA SS 10x42 HD


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"...for you are dust, and to dust you shall return.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-24-2017, 2:42 PM
ExtremeX's Avatar
ExtremeX ExtremeX is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,790
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

With older eyes I think a brighter view is even more important, and a forgiving eye box is going to reduce strain.

Note there are two different models of the Viper 2.5-10... While I prefer the smaller objective myself as it includes side parallax, the exit pupil size might not agree with aging eyes.

The 3-15 SWFA I also like... but I dont remember what the eye box was like on that scope. I think I would lean towards this if I were you.

Just as a general statement you cant really go wrong with SWFA or the upper end of the Vortex catalog.

More generalizations:
Regarding a forgiving eyebox... you will probably have a better viewing experience towards the bottom end of a range than at the top.

So a 3-15 might not as a forgiving as 15x on a 5-20x but it really depends on the individual scope.

My Razor 5-20 was more forgiving at 20x than my SWFA 5-20 SS HD @ 20x.

Either way you seem like you are on the right track... you might want to look at something like this too...
http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/x...cope-2-10x42mm
http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/x...cope-3-15x50mm
__________________
ExtremeX
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-24-2017, 7:05 PM
goodlookin1's Avatar
goodlookin1 goodlookin1 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,508
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
With older eyes I think a brighter view is even more important, and a forgiving eye box is going to reduce strain.

Note there are two different models of the Viper 2.5-10... While I prefer the smaller objective myself as it includes side parallax, the exit pupil size might not agree with aging eyes.

The 3-15 SWFA I also like... but I dont remember what the eye box was like on that scope. I think I would lean towards this if I were you.

Just as a general statement you cant really go wrong with SWFA or the upper end of the Vortex catalog.

More generalizations:
Regarding a forgiving eyebox... you will probably have a better viewing experience towards the bottom end of a range than at the top.

So a 3-15 might not as a forgiving as 15x on a 5-20x but it really depends on the individual scope.

My Razor 5-20 was more forgiving at 20x than my SWFA 5-20 SS HD @ 20x.

Either way you seem like you are on the right track... you might want to look at something like this too...
http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/x...cope-2-10x42mm
http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/x...cope-3-15x50mm
Wow, that's crazy to hear about the Razor. I had the same Gen 1 razor scope and thought that it was pretty very unforgiving at 20x....can't imagine what the SWFA would be like!
__________________
www.FirearmReviews.net
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-24-2017, 8:19 PM
GPAR GPAR is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fontana
Posts: 16
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming. Still haven't been able to find specifics on the SWFA warranty- anyone got a link?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-24-2017, 8:58 PM
ExtremeX's Avatar
ExtremeX ExtremeX is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,790
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPAR View Post
Thanks guys, keep 'em coming. Still haven't been able to find specifics on the SWFA warranty- anyone got a link?
Pretty sure its lifetime... call them during business hours and double check. Their support is very good.

To be honest I have owned 6 Vortex scopes and I had issue with two of them. Both Viper PST scopes, one was a 6-24x50 which had some focus issues, and a 1-4x that had a parasitic drain killing the battery after a few months in storage. Both were replaced with new scopes no cost to me.

I have owned 4 SWFA scopes, 8 if you include family members since I handle all their optic stuff anyways, and never had an issue from the cheapest scopes to their HD line.

Either way you go, its a buy with confidence type of thing. Just go with what feels right to you because both are good options.
__________________
ExtremeX

Last edited by ExtremeX; 04-24-2017 at 9:04 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-24-2017, 9:03 PM
ExtremeX's Avatar
ExtremeX ExtremeX is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,790
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 View Post
Wow, that's crazy to hear about the Razor. I had the same Gen 1 razor scope and thought that it was pretty very unforgiving at 20x....can't imagine what the SWFA would be like!
It was similar but I found the Vortex to be a little more forgiving. I trust yours had the eye piece upgrade/recall. I think that was only for the very early models tho.

That said, its on two totally different rifles. The Gen 1 Razor is on a chassis with a lot more adjustability so there could be some setup error influencing that comment on the rifle that has my SWFA.

I do have to tip my hat to the SWFA SS HD tho... optically I feel it actually gave more than my Razor. For all the cons of the SS HD it sure delivered in the optical department. The stiff controls on a cold day and the overall fit and finish is why I prefer the Razor.
__________________
ExtremeX
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-26-2017, 8:52 PM
IrishJoe3's Avatar
IrishJoe3 IrishJoe3 is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,185
iTrader: 35 / 100%
Default

When I got my SWFA, I got so excited I forget to tighten the mount, and when I picked up the rifle I promptly dropped the scope, lense first, onto the concrete garage floor from about 5 feet up.

Works fine, only slight dent to the rim, a testament to how sturdy that scope is.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-26-2017, 9:04 PM
Guns and guitars's Avatar
Guns and guitars Guns and guitars is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: In the mountains....
Posts: 661
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
The SWFA has a great warranty. I had a fixed 20X that I carried as an emergency back up for one of my 50BMGs for a few years. I got rid of it when I got a second NF NXS. a few years ago, I ended up buying a plinking 50BMG and bought another fixed power SWFA scope for it. While the clarity is not that of a +$1500 optic, for the price, they are hard to beat.
Ive got two SWFA SS scopes, a fixed 10x and a 20x. Both of which Ive owned for at least ten years.
I use them as go betweens on rifles that Im waiting to glass, loaners or just back ups and I could not agree with you more.
Although they are not my Swarovski's they work, they repeat, they are tough as nails and for the price its hard to go wrong.

The only complaint is the 20x FOV is pretty limiting outside of bench work but that even can be overlooked for their price.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:39 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.