Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-19-2017, 2:38 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Tylenol 'By Far the Most Dangerous Drug Ever Made'

Sounds a little harsh ...

However, https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/09/11...ver-made-11711 and part 2, https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/09/18...ks-right-11827 look pretty grim.

Cochrane Review, BTW, is indeed a highly regarded medical research accumulator/evaluator.

Read this for the first time today; no answer to the 'now what?' question.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-19-2017, 2:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Hmmm 450 Tylenol overdose deaths vs 30,000 Opioid overdose deaths. Interesting

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 09-19-2017, 3:00 PM

Tylenol I have never trusted that stuff.
I use ibuprofen (Advil) in generic form.
It works most every time. When I use it I realize my liver are taking a beating.
I limit my use of ibuprofen to just enough that it works, but sparingly.

YMMV

NRA Patron Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
California Rifle & Pistol Association Member

I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions. –Stephen Covey
كافر

Last edited by Milsurps; 09-19-2017 at 3:03 PM..
Old 09-19-2017, 3:02 PM
Veteran Member

Asprin has been proven to work...
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 09-19-2017, 3:21 PM

The problems with ibuprofen and aspirin are blood thinning, gastric ulceration, and Reye's Syndrome. Tylenol avoids all that by using a different, and unknown, pathway.

Moral of the story: Follow the damn instructions before you pop any pills.

Last edited by HibikiR; 09-22-2017 at 12:02 AM..
Old 09-19-2017, 3:23 PM

Currently, 19SEP17 Ciprofloxin and Levaquin are the most dangerous drugs on the market and out there.

This is 100% fact. Tylenol in all reality pales in comparison to either of these two drugs and I prescribed all three for 15+ years.
Nothing currently trumps Cipro toxicity syndrome. You can take as little as 2 tablets and be sick to your stomach for 24+ months. Imagine having food poisoning for 2-8 years straight with no relief? Stage 4 cancer with 30 days to live? Both of these experiences are what it feels like to have this toxicity syndrome. Your life is changed forever. There is no cure. While Tylenol may have more deaths but it pales in comparison on how sick you can get with Cipro. There is no limit on how sick someone can get with Cipro toxicity.

Tylenol is like sipping babyfood.

Military veteran
DHS veteran

Last edited by Endless; 09-19-2017 at 3:32 PM..
Old 09-19-2017, 3:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Tylenol survived the 1982 package tampering crisis.
Will this kill the product?
"Your white privilege guilt is showing" Doh
Endowment - Life Member NRA, Member of CRPA, GOA, GOC, VFW, SAF, FPC, Knife Rights, NAGR Frontline Defender
Old 09-19-2017, 8:17 PM
Calguns Addict

the source document seems a bit tabloid-ish.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 09-19-2017, 8:32 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
the source document seems a bit tabloid-ish.
Quote:
“When scares cross my desk, I often turn to the American Council on Science and Health."
– John Stossel
https://www.acsh.org/about-acsh-0

Wikipedia says
Quote:
ACSH is regarded as an "industry-friendly" group,[2] and the organization's critics have accused it of being biased in favor of industry.[3] In response to such accusations, ACSH claims that "evidence-based science and medicine, sensible health advice, technological progress, and consumer freedom need protection from the nonstop assault of unscientific activist groups."[5]

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-19-2017, 9:05 PM

The ease of acquisition and refusal to get medical treatment probably contribute to the incidence of morbidity. People don't want to go to the doctor for a legitimate evaluation for the cause of pain, so they just take some Tylenol and wait for it to go away because they can walk into Walgreens and buy it for cheap. Then they need more to make the pain to go away, and 2 tablets turn into 8, 8 turns into 16 and you're now above the max daily dose. I can't keep track of the number of patients I see that take Tylenol or Advil for weeks to control the pain from what turns out to be a chronic abscess.

Many substances have a maximum daily allowance. People just need to stop being so careless.
Old 09-21-2017, 9:46 PM
Banned

My guess is some demoncrat higher up didnt get his bribe money on time so they are using fedgov to destroy the co.
Old 09-22-2017, 9:45 AM

My family doctor started warning about overdosing on Tylenol a few years ago.

Also some of the opiates contain Tylenol. I noticed they made new versions with lower does of Tylenol to keep people from killing their liver.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
Hmmm 450 Tylenol overdose deaths vs 30,000 Opioid overdose deaths. Interesting
The thing about Tylenol is that it rarely causes an immediate overdose death. Taken in larger quantities, over time, can lead to liver failure much later in life - and often the liver failure isn't attributed to Tylenol.

Back in the 70's, my mom had a bad back problem, and she took Tylenol as her doctor prescribed. She did that for years. Then, when she got into her elderly years, all of a sudden her liver function tests started coming back really bad.

Of course, the Tylenol probably wasn't the only factor - she was taking it back in the day when having a few martinis or drinking a few glasses of wine to wash it down wasn't considered dangerous. Even now, I don't see enough warnings about drinking alcohol and taking Tylenol at the same time.

Long story short, she started getting really sick when she got into her mid 70's, and went into liver failure. One thing led to another, and all her organs started shutting down, and she was gone pretty quick. Nobody will ever know whether Tylenol caused her eventual death, but I'll always suspect it played a part.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Tylenol (acetaminophen) like any drug can be abused.
Some people can't tell the difference between an ache or a pain so they drop a drug into their body hoping pain will pass.
Most if not all of the bottled otc stuff tells you if the malady persists more than 10 days you should consult an MD.
Common sense is just not common any more. Idiot people do idiot things regardless of what warnings you inflict on them.

A retired nurse I know suggested the dosage amount on the bottles are very conservative and toxicity can also be mitigated by toggling the otc meds when higher amounts are required.
Switching from acetaminophen to Ibuprofen every 6 hrs so you don't have that rapid build up of either med in the blood.

*Aspirin, Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen are always in my med supplies.
My personal favorite is Goody's extra strength headache powders.
(acetaminophen+aspirin+caffeine)
I also keep 2 BC headache powders (aspirin+caffeine) in my wallet.
All of the powders are faster acting IME.
*Powders are great for folks that cannot take pills easily.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-29-2017, 12:53 AM

Sure, Valium may have a higher TI and by that metric could be considered safer in the short term.

Just see what happens when you stop taking it cold turkey.

You can't just look at those numbers, though. How much Tylenol is consumed without any problem? 50K hospital visits sounds like a lot, but how many people took it? The article also skirted around the issue of it being a common suicide (attempt) drug. The majority of Tylenol fatalities is intentional.

How does it compare to alcohol? Or driving? Or pruning trees?

Finally, acetaminophen is in a lot of medicines. Feeling crappy? Take some DayQuil, and maybe a Tylenol Sinus. Maybe pop a Norco if those don't work.

It's just like any other potentially harmful thing in our society. Do we want the Nanny to dole out our Tylenol? Should it be Rx only? Maybe make a registry for it, and make people take a test every few years, and pay a TROS (Tylenol Record of Sale) fee with every bottle? Toss in a cooling off period for good measure?
Old 09-29-2017, 10:07 AM

Just like anything... MODERATION.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
Asprin has been proven to work...
Only thing that works for when I have a headache - 3 asprin. TylinIDE and all the other stuff doesn't work. I've got a standing scrip for Vicodin for my cronic back pain (old work injury). It helps but I need to get it fixed not covered up.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurps View Post

It works most every time. When I use it I realize my liver are taking a beating.

FWIW, iburprofen hammers the kidneys, not the liver. And for added benefit, ibuprofen has also been known to cause GI bleeds in patients who take it regularly.

It's a good drug, but like anything, it has to be taken in moderation. Popping 800mg every 6 hours for days on end for low back pain is an easy way to end up with a red ring in your toilet after you take a dump.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:49 AM

Tylenol has never worked for me, either for pain or as a fever reducer. Naproxen is worthless for me, too. I've always used ibuprofen.

When I worked in ICU overnight, I'd take 400mg every morning when I got home. Never had a GI issue, but it did knock my creatinine out of the normal range a couple of ticks. Now I only take it infrequently. Labs are back to normal.