Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:10 AM

Default Which bag for cold weather?

Looking for a cold weather bag, from 15-35 degrees, dry conditions or at least in a tent with no concerns for condensate saturation. I usually sleep with light weight thermals, heavy socks, gloves, fleece cap and scarf or balaclava. And a thick pad.

The ones below will work. Hoping for comments from anyone familiar with these particular bags. Not just the same company, but these specific bags. Thanks!

Sea to Summit Basecamp BcII 15 Down - $399 - https://www.rei.com/product/897606/s...eping-bag(Does

Therm-a-Rest Antares HD 15 Sleeping Bag - $396 - https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...eping-bag-long

Marmot Sawtooth Long Xwide - $259 - https://www.rei.com/product/895822/m...n-sleeping-bag

NEMO Sonic 15 Sleeping Bag – $460 - https://www.rei.com/product/112183/n...5-sleeping-bag

Kammok Thylacine Down Sleeping Bag and Liner - $568 - https://www.rei.com/product/127342/k...-bag-and-liner

Last edited by TheChief; 11-14-2017 at 10:13 AM..
Old 11-15-2017, 7:06 AM

Have you considered a Feathered Friends bag? If you are willing to spend the coin on the bags you listed then FF deserves consideration unless you are committed to purchasing through REI. Made in the USA quality construction bags to last a lifetime trusted and proven on expeditions to the coldest places. Others may be as good but none are better. FF will restuff your bag (for a fee ) if you find the down isn’t up to the task in 20 years. FF makes high quality down bags in narrow and wide widths for any temperature rating.

Last edited by handjam; 11-15-2017 at 7:09 AM..
Old 11-15-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handjam View Post
Have you considered a Feathered Friends bag? If you are willing to spend the coin on the bags you listed then FF deserves consideration unless you are committed to purchasing through REI. Made in the USA quality construction bags to last a lifetime trusted and proven on expeditions to the coldest places. Others may be as good but none are better. FF will restuff your bag (for a fee ) if you find the down isn’t up to the task in 20 years. FF makes high quality down bags in narrow and wide widths for any temperature rating.
Thanks! I looked them over and unfortunately, they are too narrow, even the wide bags for my need.
Old 11-15-2017, 2:47 PM

There is just no substitute for a feathered friends bag for warmth, light weight and durability.

Do yourself a favor and call them and see if they offer an extra wide bag in some 10 or 15 degree design.
Old 11-15-2017, 3:03 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Couple more options that may come (or can be made) in your size.

Enlightened Equipment
Katabatic

Also, if you haven't already, consider an insulated pad that has a reflective layer built in. The Therm-a-Rest Xtherm is an example.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Last edited by Casual_Shooter; 11-15-2017 at 3:07 PM..
Old 11-15-2017, 5:39 PM
Veteran Member

Wiggy's

I have two. They are heavier than other bags, but they work.

I spent a lot of money back in the 1980's trying to find a bag that worked as claimed. I was always disappointed until I got a Wiggy's. Most of the time the bags heat range was off by more than 30F. That is a big difference. The only other bag that worked as claimed was a down North Face Inferno bag. It was rated at -40F.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 11-15-2017, 7:10 PM

Feathered friends takes custom orders. My hummingbird was a custom made to include a draft collar which isn’t standard on that model. Doesn’t hurt to ask.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:02 PM

Western Mountaineering. They have a few wide bags and also a zip-in expander. They are excellent.

• 338 Lapua Magnum, CORBON, 300gr Match HPBT (160 rounds) = $940
• 338 LM CORBON (subsonic) 300gr Match HPBT (40 rounds) = $220
• 300 WinMag, Hornady 195gr BTHP Match (400 rounds in two cases) = $750
• 300 WinMag, Black Hills 210gr BTHP Match (120 rounds) - $250
• New in package - SureFire FH762K (flash hider) $85
Old 11-15-2017, 10:38 PM

Only down sleeping bags I would consider buying are Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, and Valandre. If weight isn’t a problem throw Wiggys in there as well. All of them will meet or exceed their stated temp rating.

If you are willing to go with a quilt I love my Enlightened Equipment 20 degree. Takes some getting used to but is lighter than a full bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2017, 7:19 AM

Thanks everyone. I had to make the decision by 5 last night. While my choice was pricey, it was not up in the numbers of a custom Feathered Friends.

I ended up purchasing the Sea to Summit Basecamp BcII 15, their R5 pad and pillow. All told dropped about $550 for a 15 degree kit that weighs in a 5.54 pounds.

Anyone know of a bivy sack that will hold the above kit that is:
-water proof
-breathable
-rugged
-lightweight

I would use it in lieu of a tent.

Last edited by TheChief; 11-16-2017 at 7:24 AM..
Old 11-16-2017, 3:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Thanks everyone. I had to make the decision by 5 last night. While my choice was pricey, it was not up in the numbers of a custom Feathered Friends.

I ended up purchasing the Sea to Summit Basecamp BcII 15, their R5 pad and pillow. All told dropped about $550 for a 15 degree kit that weighs in a 5.54 pounds.

-water proof
-breathable
-rugged
-lightweight

I would use it in lieu of a tent.
Check out Snugpak, I don't have one but it seems a good option.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:58 AM

I am going to open a new thread for the Bivy sack question as I have more I wanted to ask everyone with more experience than I. Thanks for all the responses everyone.
Old 11-17-2017, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post

-water proof
-breathable
There is no such thing. While there are degrees of waterproofness/breathability, you ALWAYS trade off one for the other.

Also consider learning about silk liners- turn your 15 degree bag into a 5-10 degree one.

$550 is a lot of scratch for a 15 degree bag, pad, and pillow (a pillow?! Seriously?). Is it 900 fill Euro down or something?

You also never mentioned what conditions you would use the bag in, nor for how long (i.e., 7-10 straight days in rainy conditions). This is important- wet bags suck. Back in the day, I rotated between synthetic and down bags, depending on time of year and weather conditions I expected to encounter.

I apologize if I appear to be taking a dump on your purchase, but you seem genuinely trying to learn, so I'm sharing my initial impressions. If you plan on winter camping, it would behoove you to learn as much as you can. This forum isn't the place to discuss outdoor gear.

Good luck!