Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 5:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Sonoma (old info)

We'll have some news on Sonoma, as well as Good Cause statements, soon.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 10-22-2010, 7:38 PM

This is excellent news! I eagerly await further instructions.
-madmike.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Standing by for Good Cause Statements.

Has a list of current CCW holders been obtained from the Sheriff?

I'd like to know how many 'political friends' of the Sheriff and the Board of Supervisors have been issued permits.

Last edited by tankerman; 10-27-2010 at 12:33 PM..
Old 11-01-2010, 9:07 AM

Default Sonoma county CCW

I am an alarm company owner and applied about six months ago and was rejected stating not good enough cause.
I am very interested in acceptable good cause statement. I thought my statement was very good but I think Sonoma County just doesn't issue permits unless you have friends in high places.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:31 PM

We have a convicted child rapist living two blocks away from our beautiful blond 5yr old daughter....
Remember Poly Klaus, happened around here, taken from her own home to be raped & murdered....
I doubt our local sheriff would let my wife & I CCW even though we hold current NV CCW permits....

Thank you Calguns for fighting for our rights!

My High power Rocketry hobby;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAigaiK0YBI
------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-18-2010, 3:42 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I recently donated enough to push Sonoma County over the fund raising target. Hopefully that will bump our county up a little higher on the fix it list I'm holding off on applying after I read that the Sonoma County Sheriff's office uses previous denials as reason for future denials (That's in Gray's link in his first post here).

Awaiting the call for "volunteers" though
Old 11-24-2010, 8:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Subbing thread
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 11-24-2010, 8:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerman View Post
Standing by for Good Cause Statements.

Has a list of current CCW holders been obtained from the Sheriff?

I'd like to know how many 'political friends' of the Sheriff and the Board of Supervisors have been issued permits.
They have not produced the responsive documents yet.

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin
Old 11-26-2010, 8:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
They have not produced the responsive documents yet.
The typical stalling.
Must be good list of pay-to-play political donors.

Using prior denials as reason for future denials amounts to an implied threat.
Old 11-29-2010, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
I recently donated enough to push Sonoma County over the fund raising target. Hopefully that will bump our county up a little higher on the fix it list I'm holding off on applying after I read that the Sonoma County Sheriff's office uses previous denials as reason for future denials (That's in Gray's link in his first post here).

Awaiting the call for "volunteers" though
Thank you! Now c'mon, let's get this movin' out here!
Old 12-02-2010, 1:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Sorry for the delay guys. Short list, only nine outstanding CCWs according to the sheriff.

As usual, you can download the docs from the CGF website: http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/ind...ive/137-sonoma
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 12-02-2010, 8:15 AM
Calguns Addict

I looked at the section 219 regarding CCW issuance. On page 5 where it states that by mutual agreement, each agency will only issue to those residing in its jurisdiction.

Says that if you live in a city, the sheriff will force you to apply to them. Is that little tidbit of illegal policy being addressed?
Quote:
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 12-02-2010, 8:38 AM

These good cause statements don't look like they'll help me (although I can't even afford the $20 it would take to find out right now). Are these all there are, or just all they would give up so far? This is a fascinating project, I can't wait to see how it turns out!

I would like to say something profound here...
Old 12-02-2010, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier415 View Post
I looked at the section 219 regarding CCW issuance. On page 5 where it states that by mutual agreement, each agency will only issue to those residing in its jurisdiction.

Says that if you live in a city, the sheriff will force you to apply to them. Is that little tidbit of illegal policy being addressed?
I can say that this fact wasn't missed. It is also good to have it IN WRITING.
650-315-2210
Old 12-02-2010, 9:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
These good cause statements don't look like they'll help me (although I can't even afford the $20 it would take to find out right now). Are these all there are, or just all they would give up so far? This is a fascinating project, I can't wait to see how it turns out!
There is conflicting information from the various sources. Brandon is looking into it to determine if there are applications missing or if there was was inaccurate reporting of permit totals elsewhere.
650-315-2210
Old 12-02-2010, 10:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier415 View Post

Yes, it's on the radar, but no, we haven't found a Sonoma resident desiring to take that on. Wanna play?

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Most of the GC statements are from cops or retired cops. That doesn't help us. Does the sheriff only issue to cops, or did he only release these kinds of GC statements, in an effort to roadblock the Sunshine Initiative? Maybe I'm wearing my tinfoil hat right now, but it seems like the kind of tactic that an anti-gun anti-citizen sheriff would pull.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'll be following up to ensure they've provided all GC statements. The #s do not reconcile.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCamper View Post
Most of the GC statements are from cops or retired cops. That doesn't help us. Does the sheriff only issue to cops, or did he only release these kinds of GC statements, in an effort to roadblock the Sunshine Initiative? Maybe I'm wearing my tinfoil hat right now, but it seems like the kind of tactic that an anti-gun anti-citizen sheriff would pull.
I was thnking the same thing. I'd imagine there are more than 9 or 10 CCWs issued in the whole county.
Quote:
Old 12-02-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
There is conflicting information from the various sources. Brandon is looking into it to determine if there are applications missing or if there was was inaccurate reporting of permit totals elsewhere.
Let me know if I can assist.

I would like to say something profound here...
Old 12-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Yes, it's on the radar, but no, we haven't found a Sonoma resident desiring to take that on. Wanna play?

-Brandon
I'd love to, but we discussed my current predicament that precludes it.
Quote:
Old 12-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
Sorry for the delay guys. Short list, only nine outstanding CCWs according to the sheriff.
That number seems very low, and may well be for the sheriff's office only. That said, if you PRAR'ed each of the nine incorporated cities I'd wager you might not find too many more.

Sheriff Cogbill, outgoing, was not renewing a lot of permits over the past few years as they came up for renewal and wasn't interested in new applications. There were members who posted here and elsewhere about exactly that.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 12-29-2010, 2:46 PM

Any news on the discrepancy between the number of good cause statements expected and the number the county actually produced?
Old 12-30-2010, 9:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Any news on the discrepancy between the number of good cause statements expected and the number the county actually produced?
This
Quote:
Old 12-30-2010, 9:58 AM

anyone know Steve Freitas's ideals on CCW's, and when will he be the new active sheriff?
Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteve View Post
anyone know Steve Freitas's ideals on CCW's, and when will he be the new active sheriff?
He believes self defense alone isn't good cause. If you aren't wealthy with lots of property your life apparently should just wait for the deputies to arrive.

Funny how he starts out saying he supports the 2nd amendment, and follows up with saying you'll need to meet the "good cause standard" to utilize it.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...php?p=11105248
Quote:
To: shaunbootsma@hotmail.com
Subject:
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 1343 -0800

Mr. Bootsma,

Thank you for your e mail about CCW's in Sonoma County. First off, I support the 2nd amendment to the Constitution.

As for CCW's, the issue is the Penal Code section that says there must be "good cause" to issue the CCW. Different people have varying opinions on what "good cause" means. I know the Sheriff issues more CCW's then our law enforcement colleagues in the cities. For example, the city of Santa Rosa, with a population very similar to the unincorporated areas of the County, has 1 CCW issued to the best of my knowledge. On the other hand, the Sheriff currently has about 70 issued.

As for my position, I think I can best describe it by using an example. At a recent public meeting a rancher from the West County told me his story. He has several different properties and this requires him the use public roads to get to and from the various locations. At one of the locations he found evidence of marijuana being grown illegally on his property. He applied for a CCW but was turned down. In this situation I would have issued the CCW.

However, I need to point out that I did not check to see if this person was denied for some other reason and I did not verify his story. Either way the example is one that I can point to where I believe the ranchers story would meet the "good cause" standard in the Penal Code.

Each case needs to be looked at individually to see if it meets the "good cause" standard. I hope this example helps to explain, at least in this case, what my position is on the "good cause" question.

If you want to give me a specific example of your own I would be happy to answer it.

Thank you,

Steve Freitas
Freitas for Sheriff 2010
PO Box 869
Windsor, Ca 95492
(707) 570-1900

Last edited by stix213; 12-30-2010 at 11:43 AM..
Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 AM

You'll note that Steve Freitas as of march believed that 70 CCW's were currently issued specifically by the sheriff's department. Which again doesn't match with what we have been provided.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCamper View Post
Same thing I noticed....so unless you're rich and live on 1000 acres in the sticks, or affiliated with Law Enforcement, you are SOL.
"Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."
Old 12-30-2010, 12:17 PM

hmmm, I live on a 8 acre horse ranch in the south west portion of santa rosa where there have been mountain lion attacks, drug houses, cock fighting rings, etc etc. I wonder if I can persuade him somehow....?
Old 12-30-2010, 1:38 PM

oooh..subscribed!

I'd be interested in applying now that I have a job which may give me more than a 'good cause'

Last edited by GillaFunk; 12-30-2010 at 1:43 PM..
Old 12-30-2010, 3:16 PM

Emailed him a letter, hopefully response time is decent.
Old 12-30-2010, 5:41 PM

Quote:
I couldn't resist, I sent him an e-mail as well. My e-mail below. I think I did a good job writing it

Quote:
CCW in Sonoma County question

Recently CCW issuance has become a hot button issue in CA due to the vast majority of the country going "shall issue" followed by the Heller and McDonald supreme court decisions confirming the right to individual self defense use of firearms as the core right protected by the 2nd amendment and the incorporation of this against the state, county, city, and other local governments.

Being that only holders of valid county or city issued CCW permits can legally "bear" functional arms in the state of California as described in the 2nd amendment per the penal code, and the Sheriff of Sonoma County must abide by both the US constitution (including the Supreme Court's interpretation of it) and California penal codes, I am asking what your position will be as Sonoma County Sheriff as to what constitutes "good cause" to issue a CCW permit?

The outgoing sheriff's policy was established when the courts in CA understood the 2nd amendment to protect a collective right, and not an individual right, so his policy of near no issue could be understandable in that context. Though in light of the total shift in 2A law this last year due to the previously mentioned SCOTUS decisions, can I assume a shift in Sonoma County's policy as well in the same way Sacramento County now accepts "self defense" as good cause in the aftermath of these landmark court decisions?

Last edited by stix213; 12-30-2010 at 9:12 PM.. Reason: Removed my name, not to hide but just to keep me off less google searches
Old 12-31-2010, 9:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I emailed the new sheriff a month ago. Never got a response.
Old 12-31-2010, 9:05 AM

I dont exactly expect he will return it, but at least I can say that I attempted to go through the proper legal channels. He enters as the new sheriff on Jan 3rd at noon, so Ill hold off putting in my ccw app till after then and just hope for the best.
Old 12-31-2010, 9:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Subscribing.
Old 12-31-2010, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I couldn't resist, I sent him an e-mail as well. My e-mail below. I think I did a good job writing it
He's gonna cite Peruta in his defense.
Old 12-31-2010, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
He's gonna cite Peruta in his defense.
Yeah I would agree unfortunately.
Old 01-02-2011, 7:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post

-Brandon
Unfortunately I just moved to an unincorporated area, so I'm under the Sheriff's jurisdiction.

Sounds risky to apply if the Sheriff is still using a CCW permit denial as an excuse for future denials. Any ideas on how to thwart this type of preemptive retaliation tactic?

I want a CCW permit.

Last edited by tankerman; 01-02-2011 at 8:28 PM..
Old 01-15-2011, 3:52 PM

I would like to try getting mine.

I was going to try THIS but the link is bad. Any ideas?

Old 01-15-2011, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillaFunk View Post
I would like to try getting mine.

I was going to try THIS but the link is bad. Any ideas?
Link works for me... However I see this as more of a way to help cover your ***** incase uoc gets you in trouble some how(I do not plan to uoc as I see no point in carrying a unloaded paper weight) not the best way to actually obtaining a ccw with Officer Freitas. My friends who work for SO have heard rumor that he will be more willing to grant them to people with land/ranches/convincing good cause statements. So my plan is simply to state my best case for why I fall into that catagory. Seems like a better approach then to hope he wants everyone willing to copy and paste to have a ccw. Just my $.02
Closed Thread