Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 11-24-2012, 6:51 PM

Default Shipping Sig 716 into CA and install Bullet Button prior to assembly

I know someone just posted a very similar post but needed some advice asap.
Ok, Im visiting my family here in VA and went to finalize the transfer from one FFL (me) to a local FFL here in my home town for a pistol that my mother purchased from me.
While in the guy's shop I notice a nice Sig 716 in FDE for a decent price and am wanting to buy it. So as a dealer in CA, I make the purchase here in VA and take with me back to CA the lower or upper and then have him ship me the other half. Am I in full compliance as long as I don't assemble the rifle until I have installed a bullet button on it?
Also, this would be the first time I've actually installed a bullet button and it looks easy enough...but is anyone aware of what bullet button is recommended for this rifle and are the bullet buttons the same for the 716/AR10 the same as one for a Sig 516/M4/AR15. If they aren't readily available here in CA I can probably order one from the Sig Pro Shop or directly from Sig. Once the bullet button is installed and the rifle assembled I plan to add it to my personal collection. Are there any problems with this scenario....please advise asap as I am flying back Monday and would need to do this in a day or two. Thanks.
http://www.paladintactical.us
Old 11-25-2012, 7:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

First off you need to remember CA law when it comes to "shipping" a firearm, which means that the FFL that you buy the firearm from need to do the CFLC letter even if you pick it up there (according to the CA DOJ, even though it does not make sense since you would be the one bringing it to yourself).

The so-called a-salt weapons can not be brought into CA. To me, this means that you can buy something which is not legal to bring into CA as long as you don't bring it into CA. So, you could buy the firearm, take it apart and then it is not considered a so-called a-salt weapon, but it would be best to completely separate the two parts so that it is not considered a complete firearm (such as shipping the upper separately).

Yes, it would not be considered a so-called a-salt weapon unless it meets the requirements, such as being a semi-auto, center-fire firearm with the features, unless it is banned by name, then it can not be semi-auto.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 11-25-2012, 8:29 AM

Kemasa,

So does he have to generate a CFLC letter for each half of the gun whether I decided to bring one half back with me or just have him ship each half separately?

I just checked the Roster of AK and AR-15 Series Weapons on the DOJ website and it is NOT listed there.
Old 11-25-2012, 8:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyHotel2 View Post
Kemasa,

So does he have to generate a CFLC letter for each half of the gun whether I decided to bring one half back with me or just have him ship each half separately?

I just checked the Roster of AK and AR-15 Series Weapons on the DOJ website and it is NOT listed there.
Only the serial numbered piece needs the CFLC whether you take it or it is shipped.

Old 11-25-2012, 8:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The CFLC letter is needed for every firearm. The upper is not a firearm, even if it were to have a serial number on it.

I mentioned the named aspect since others might read this.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 11-25-2012, 8:45 AM

Thanks for the info guys!