Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
SIGH. Guess I'm going to have to get an AK too...
Is that even a question? Of course you have to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chead View Post
Is that even a question? Of course you have to.
I'd rather not, but if this gun is more versatile in that it can READILY eat any kind of 'ammo then THAT is the weapon to have whenever our paranoid SHTF fantasies materialize, not the overpriced range queen 'AR with the little pony and the big "C" stamped on the side...

I don't always save the world, but when I do, it's in 24 hours or less...
Old 10-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteTruth View Post
would you guys recommend this?

Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_NinO619 View Post
I have seen extractors rip off the rim without this upgrade, I don't see how more tension would solve a case not shrinking fast enough, the reason why they have FTE.
Steel cases don't expand and shrink like brass.
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
"What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 10-10-2012, 10:58 AM

Default I've got S&W M&P on my wish list, simply because it has been

reviewed and tested, and torture tested by enough different people and it seems to be a 'big production run' gun so I'd wouldn't be worried about some small outfit changing up something on me.

Also, should be a nice stock of 'factory' replacement parts.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:58 AM

No offense, but I don't understand your thinking here. I am sure a couple guys touched on this, since I only skimmed each page. But this is where I see it, You want an AR, I get that, I love my ar's too. You want it cheap, I get that too, but where I fail to see the logic is that you want it as a SHTF/defensive weapon. In my mind that category is a very reliable, trust my life, go to war weapon. A cheap AR is a range toy, plinker, fun gun. Something that you do not have to rely on to save your life. It is why you dont see RRA, DPMS, or Del-Ton being carried by troops or contractors in the sandbox or any other theater. Now this isn't saying that there are not decent cheap AR's, but you will not see people who put their life in the reliability of a gun skimping out by a couple hundred dollars. I have a cheap AR, it is a toy in my mind, I have a milspec Colt it is trusty ol faithful... I also have high dollar Noveske stuff too... each serves a purpose.

This then leads me to my next point. If 200 or 300 dollars is hard to justify, how do you expect to train? I would never trust a rifle that I am not very proficient at using under stress. You will blow through 10 times the cost of a rifle, training to become proficient. If you are worrying about $.20 a round vs $.35-.50 how do you expect to get enough trigger time to be proficient?

Now if you are using the whole prepper/SHTF scenario to justify the purchase of an AR, then you are going about it way wrong. Are you buying the cheapest water purification system? There are many other systems that would work much better in a WROL (if you fall into the nutnfancy hype) or SHTF scenario. And buying a AR and complaining about the cost of $.20 vs $.50 ammo is like buying a BMW or Audi and complaining that you have to put premium in it. If cost of ammo is something you are worried about, get an AK or a mosin.

Again I am not trying to be an ***, but lets be realistic.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakine_surf View Post
No offense, but I don't understand your thinking here. I am sure a couple guys touched on this, since I only skimmed each page. But this is where I see it, You want an AR, I get that, I love my ar's too. You want it cheap, I get that too, but where I fail to see the logic is that you want it as a SHTF/defensive weapon. In my mind that category is a very reliable, trust my life, go to war weapon. A cheap AR is a range toy, plinker, fun gun. Something that you do not have to rely on to save your life. It is why you dont see RRA, DPMS, or Del-Ton being carried by troops or contractors in the sandbox or any other theater. Now this isn't saying that there are not decent cheap AR's, but you will not see people who put their life in the reliability of a gun skimping out by a couple hundred dollars. I have a cheap AR, it is a toy in my mind, I have a milspec Colt it is trusty ol faithful... I also have high dollar Noveske stuff too... each serves a purpose.

This then leads me to my next point. If 200 or 300 dollars is hard to justify, how do you expect to train? I would never trust a rifle that I am not very proficient at using under stress. You will blow through 10 times the cost of a rifle, training to become proficient. If you are worrying about $.20 a round vs $.35-.50 how do you expect to get enough trigger time to be proficient?

Now if you are using the whole prepper/SHTF scenario to justify the purchase of an AR, then you are going about it way wrong. Are you buying the cheapest water purification system? There are many other systems that would work much better in a WROL (if you fall into the nutnfancy hype) or SHTF scenario. And buying a AR and complaining about the cost of $.20 vs $.50 ammo is like buying a BMW or Audi and complaining that you have to put premium in it. If cost of ammo is something you are worried about, get an AK or a mosin.

Good post. I think I mentioned "true" cost of gun ownership either in this thread or another one regarding price and guns. As far as I've learned, the true cost of gun ownership comes from 'ammo, supplies, training, 'ammo, range time, 'ammo and yeah more 'ammo. I don't even remember dropping the $1300 for the 'AR because ever since then it's been dealing with support costs for the weapon. And therein lies the problem with people getting into guns and hobbies in general: they focus on the initial buy-in to the hobby but don't really think about the after-purchase costs.

This thread may be all over the place like a shotgun blast but at least I've learned that I might have to buy an AK at some point. What is it that someone here said? AR's are for well supplied, well trained and supported soldiers, where as AK's are for soldiers with no support and no training or inclination to maintain their weapon...

Old 10-10-2012, 1:53 PM

Hopefully , its in stock..... there were people waiting some time for parts from them recently..

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush..

BCM and PSA are new kids on the block... the longer they are on the market , the more chances they will have to put out bad batches....

It's already being seen with some BCM's, not to say they are not quality firearms... it's just, stuff happens.
Your best bet is to buy extra parts for any rifle you may want to keep for emergency purposes and also keep a good backup gun .

and for your info:
IN STOCK online , can mean all the parts are there but you have 50 people ahead of you and you may wait a few months...

Quote:
Well that's a given. I just want a rifle that will shoot wolf and not FTE after a couple hundred rounds. I've been reading for hours about PSA and I've decided I'm going to return the Rguns and get this http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...m-carbine.html

The specs for that are much better than the Rguns M4.I can't really find anything bad about PSA and almost everything I find about Rguns is bad.

Last edited by torquefliteterror; 10-10-2012 at 1:56 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquefliteterror View Post
Hopefully , its in stock..... there were people waiting some time for parts from them recently..

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush..

BCM and PSA are new kids on the block... the longer they are on the market , the more chances they will have to put out bad batches....

It's already being seen with some BCM's, not to say they are not quality firearms... it's just, stuff happens.
Your best bet is to buy extra parts for any rifle you may want to keep for emergency purposes and also keep a good backup gun .

and for your info:
IN STOCK online , can mean all the parts are there but you have 50 people ahead of you and you may wait a few months...
Thanks for this I'll try to call them and see if its in stock and how many people are ahead of me before I buy it.
Old 10-10-2012, 2:15 PM

I just got off the phone with Black-Star-Tactical and they will be refunding me with a small re-stock fee which was cool. I really appreciated it.
Old 10-10-2012, 2:26 PM

If you want a SHTF gun that shoots steel wolf, get an AK. They look like poop that's been in a fan. They're designed for steel ammo.

For the record, I shoot steel ammo in my HK 556 all the time with no problems other then the occasional squib or dud (par for the course with russian ammo), but never a ripped or stuck case. Maybe it's an advantage of piston guns, maybe it's just because the ammo is afraid of being raped by mad germans, who knows, but it works.

-W
Old 10-10-2012, 2:32 PM

I am quite surprise that no one yet suggest OP getting a Savage Scout or Ruger Gunsite Scout yet.

If one could have only one rifle in a ****ty situation, a large caliber compact bolt rifle is probably better than either AR or AK.

since
you can hunt large game with it,
more reliable than semi,
and having longer effective range (assuming the rifleman is competent)
Old 10-10-2012, 2:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
'OP bought a weapon for SHTF.
'OP presented gun to CGN for opinions.
CGN members s**t all over the 'OP and his gun.
Myk uses thread as an excuse to brag about how great his Colt M4 is.
AK fans use thread to promote AK's.
Due to peer pressure 'OP is now buying a more acceptable gun.
Steel 'ammo sucks, but so do people who don't shoot them.
Kate Upton is f**king gorgeous.

Any questions?
without a picture how could you tell that op is getting the right weapon
let me help.

behold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddindetroit View Post
I think you mean ProStaff on your ad and not Prostate- the male secretary organ that causes urinary obstruction in old age and make chymotrypsin to lyse seminal clots.

These are nice scopes - ProStaff that is; not the Prostate.

DD

Last edited by Cadre; 10-10-2012 at 2:40 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 2:39 PM

Quote:
I'd rather not, but if this gun is more versatile in that it can READILY eat any kind of 'ammo then THAT is the weapon to have whenever our paranoid SHTF fantasies materialize, not the overpriced range queen 'AR with the little pony and the big "C" stamped on the side...
I know this have been posted before but watch this specially at 4:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VRrc2n0NXg
Old 10-10-2012, 2:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsnuffer View Post
If you want a SHTF gun that shoots steel wolf, get an AK. They look like poop that's been in a fan. They're designed for steel ammo.

For the record, I shoot steel ammo in my HK 556 all the time with no problems other then the occasional squib or dud (par for the course with russian ammo), but never a ripped or stuck case. Maybe it's an advantage of piston guns, maybe it's just because the ammo is afraid of being raped by mad germans, who knows, but it works.

-W
HK 556, huh? That's gotta be an awesome gun. How far away is it from the military version, the HK 416? Lol @ the 'ammo comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadre View Post
let me help.

behold!

Ay Caramba. Off to the shower I go. I don't think there's a more perfect woman on this goddamn planet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedpower View Post
I know this have been posted before but watch this specially at 4:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VRrc2n0NXg
Thanks for the 'vid link.

Edit: that's one hilarious video. I'll side with the Drill Sergeant but I can't deny the benefits of the AK...

Last edited by myk; 10-10-2012 at 3:13 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakine_surf View Post

I understand where you are coming from. I'm not really complaining about the ammo cost. Though I would like to shoot cheep ammo because I don't make a lot of money. I just want a gun that can shoot ANY ammo reliably because this is going to be my SHTF weapon and I need to be able to shoot any ammo I come across. 200-300 dollars is not that hard to justify its just I don't have that much more money to spend on it if I want to buy a good scope as well. From what I've seen PSA puts out quality guns with a price that is more reasonable for me. It looks like they use a lot of parts that are used in high end AR's. My brother I live with has a Mosin so that covers that in a SHTF scenario. I want an AR over an AK for the accuracy at long distances. Oh and I like Nutnfancy videos.

Last edited by AbsoluteTruth; 10-10-2012 at 3:50 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 4:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadre View Post
let me help.

behold!

Ah. Kate Upton...I love her. That's my future ex-wife right there.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 10-10-2012 at 4:34 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 4:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Man View Post
So we're supposed to buy american brass 7.62 for our AKs?

I'm not really arguing with you, but i'd say that reloads are a bigger problem than russian factory ammo.
I'm not arguing with you either. I totally agree improperly loaded reloads are definately a bigger problem. Seen some scary stuff as a result of that. I would definately trust Russian ammo over that.

However, I've seen some pretty scary Russian ammo from Wolf and others as well. One round hot, the next light, one one size the next another. That can and often does happen too. It happened enough to me for me to decide to pass. I've also had really bad experiences with factory brand name ammo as well. Fiocchi for example burned me a couple times so I no longer shoot it. Lately I've been shooting MagTech through my handguns and Seller & Bellet through my rifles. I tried a bunch of stuff, and that's what both my guns and wallet liked. Other stuff my wallet liked more but my guns didn't, or vice versa.

Depsite the myth an AK is just like any other gun. They jam. They kaboom. They can and do have issues. I've had them jam on me as often as my ARs do..which translates to very rarely for both. It is a myth dating back to issues in Vietnam that ARs are jam happy that had to do with bean counters using the wrong kind of gun powder in the ammo. The issue got fixed back then. But once a myth takes root it doesn't want to let up. So now any time an AR jams the way any gun would for reasons any gun would...people invoke the myth. Meanwhile when an AK jams, people act like hell just froze over. Nevermind that anybody who is around them all the time and actually shoots them vs being more of collector has seen it happen a thousand times before. Guns are guns. They all jam when you do something stupid...or just when the gun gods feel like it. That's just life. Best you can do is try and stack the odds in your favor.

I prefer to pony up a few cents to improve my odds of staying safe and having a jam free day.

I'm staring at a great slogan on a Minute Maid bottle right now that applies..."Put Good in. Get Good Out." I took that advice from an instructor way back when, and it has served me well.

Other things you can do to prevent malfunctions?

1. Use the push/pull technique right after inserting your magazine to make sure it is seated properly. Most jams are a result of magazines in there just enough not to fall out but not enough to feed properly.

2. Do not top off your magazines. 30 round magazines get no more than 25 rounds. 10 round magazines get no more than 8 rounds (preferrably 7). This eases spring tenstion. If you have a riveted or blocked off 30 rounds magazine with a 30 round spring in it but that only accepts 10 rounds you can ignore this. It is already download enough. Nobody wants to hear this one either. Especially in low cap handgun magazines. But then you watch them have malfunction after malfunction and you try and explain that they are simply not seating the magazine properly because of too much pressure on the springs. They refuse to accept it. As if a jammed gun with lots of rounds in the magazine is better than one that runs flawlessly with fewer rounds.

3. Use PMAGS instead of GI Magazines. The GI magazines were designed to be dropped and left in the deep jungle never to be seen again after just one use during a fire fight. Think of them like condoms. Use only once. For the average consumer, that is unthinkable. So we try and keep them and treat them like they should last forever. Then end result is that with repeated use the spot welded seam accross the back begins to crack and spread apart and the shape of the magazine changes just enough that it no longer feeds properly. The Magpul PMAGS were designed without that seam because of that issue. They also have a 1000 other little design improvements as well.

If you have not experienced any of these problems yet...give it time...keep training...keep shooting...eventually you will. Now you will know how to spot them.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 10-10-2012 at 4:51 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 5:05 PM

Both my Stag arms model 4 and my Kel-Tec su16 HATE, and I mean really HATE Russian steel cased ammo. It won't destroy your gun, but it will end your day at the range early when the chamber heats up just enough to melt the lacquer, so that it re hardens just slightly before the extractor can fully remove the case, gluing it to the inside of your chamber, ripping off the back of the case, leaving nothing solid enough to tap a cleaning rod against in an attempt to remove it, requiring an expensive trip to the gunsmith. Ask me how I know, go on, ask me.

PLEASE DON'T USE THE RUSSIAN CRAP AMMO.
Old 10-10-2012, 5:42 PM

Quote:
So if you bought this rifle and got this email you would still try wolf in it? Oh and what is chamber fouling I am new to AR 15's?
steel cases will expand and the laquer will soften and build up over time and sooner than later you'll have a spent case stuck in the chamber which is a ***** to get our and oft times just punches the base of the case off trying to then leaving the sides in the chamber, (insert Broken shell extractor here) which is a real pain in AR's to do.

they are basically telling you that you shouldn't shoot that nasty, dirty, sealed in laquer, (so it will work in maybe 40-50 years), russian stuff that gums up the chamber and requires detailed cleaning on a much more than regular basis.
Old 10-10-2012, 6:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdyoung1958 View Post
steel cases will expand and the laquer will soften and build up over time and sooner than later you'll have a spent case stuck in the chamber which is a ***** to get our and oft times just punches the base of the case off trying to then leaving the sides in the chamber, (insert Broken shell extractor here) which is a real pain in AR's to do.

they are basically telling you that you shouldn't shoot that nasty, dirty, sealed in laquer, (so it will work in maybe 40-50 years), russian stuff that gums up the chamber and requires detailed cleaning on a much more than regular basis.
Most of the newer steel ammo like Tula use a polymer coating, which takes significantly more temperature to melt off than is generated while firing.
Old 10-11-2012, 9:16 AM
Veteran Member

Im hopping on the buy an AK bandwagon if you are able to train/shoot at your local range. AK47 as well as AK74 are combat effetive at 300 yards. If your set on shooting steel case ammo out of an AR your not going to get the accuracy your looking for anyway to justify buying an AR platform.
Old 10-11-2012, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Man View Post
Most of the newer steel ammo like Tula use a polymer coating, which takes significantly more temperature to melt off than is generated while firing.
still gonna cause you issues in the long run, usually at a time when you worst need it to . . . Murphy says so

steel is for targets . . . not for bullet cases
Old 10-11-2012, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmusic View Post
Both my Stag arms model 4 and my Kel-Tec su16 HATE, and I mean really HATE Russian steel cased ammo. It won't destroy your gun, but it will end your day at the range early when the chamber heats up just enough to melt the lacquer, so that it re hardens just slightly before the extractor can fully remove the case, gluing it to the inside of your chamber, ripping off the back of the case, leaving nothing solid enough to tap a cleaning rod against in an attempt to remove it, requiring an expensive trip to the gunsmith. Ask me how I know, go on, ask me.

PLEASE DON'T USE THE RUSSIAN CRAP AMMO.
I experienced the opposite: My SU16A takes Russian steel at ease
I generally shot 500 per day during trainings, with average one malfunction.

only two jams I had so far were broken rims, but it was expected anyway.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:06 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrice6 View Post
They're just playing the CYA game.
I've read apocryphal stories of lacquer ammo gumming up the chamber and causing FTE. This is probably just RGuns trying to prevent the buyer from having that happen and thereby blaming the gun for the jam.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 AM

I skipped from page 1 to 7. however that being said. All ar's should have the ability to run steel ammo.

The email is to cover them if the rifle blows up using steel.

Their is no issuie when using steel ammo- its what some only use- Ive shot over 1500 rounds out of my ar without a single failure. and thats using tula

And dont believe for a second that running steel ammo will in anyway hurt the rifle. Ive seen rifles that have shot nothing but steel have well past 20k rounds put threw them with only throat erosion.
Old 10-11-2012, 1:44 PM

Looks like quality AR 15's can hang with AK's...

Old 10-11-2012, 9:47 PM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Looks like quality AR 15's can hang with AK's...

If you'd started there you wouldn't have gone through all of this nonsense. Now stop watching Youtube and get yourself to a range.

The gun is always the cheapest part of the equation, may as well make it a good one.

I'm going to regret this, have you considered a safe?

You've already tried to cheap out on the gun and the ammo.

A gun safe is much like a motorcycle helmet, it's only worth what you put in it.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

ALL the 5.45 I have ever shot was steel cased. Can you even buy it in brass? Yet it shoots great. I would blame the straight walls of the 223 more than the steel.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
If you'd started there you wouldn't have gone through all of this nonsense. Now stop watching Youtube and get yourself to a range.

The gun is always the cheapest part of the equation, may as well make it a good one.

I'm going to regret this, have you considered a safe?

You've already tried to cheap out on the gun and the ammo.

A gun safe is much like a motorcycle helmet, it's only worth what you put in it.

I think the PSA I want should do fine. It is made with quality parts like the Spikes Tactical. I don't think I need a safe. I live with my older brother and we don't EVER have children over.

Last edited by AbsoluteTruth; 10-11-2012 at 10:28 PM..
Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Calguns Addict

You can't just put your rifle beside your golf clubs in the closet, man. If someone broke into your home that firearm is one of the last things you want to go out onto the streets. What if a minor broke into your home, stole the gun and went on a killing spree? Securing your firearm to the best of your ability is responsible gun ownership...

Last edited by myk; 10-11-2012 at 10:56 PM..
Old 10-11-2012, 10:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a carbine gas system on my AR and I shoot Russian ammo almost exclusively. No issues, runs great.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
You can't just put your rifle beside your golf clubs in the closet, man. If someone broke into your home that firearm is one of the last things you want to go out onto the streets. What if a minor broke into your home, stole the gun and went on a killing spree? Securing your firearm to the best of your ability is responsible gun ownership...
Well for the most part there is always someone home here because of our different working schedules. If we are not home they are hidden...maybe later in life I will get a safe but right now its too much money and I'm not too worried. If my house was broken into and my guns were gone it would be in a police report.

Last edited by AbsoluteTruth; 10-11-2012 at 11:25 PM..
Old 10-11-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
you also mean to tell me that you keep ALL of your guns in a safe? What if someone broke in at night, you might not have time to go all the way to your safe and get a gun...
Old 10-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
you also mean to tell me that you keep ALL of your guns in a safe? What if someone broke in at night, you might not have time to go all the way to your safe and get a gun...
A proper DOJ approved, compliant safe will be in my house very shortly. Do I have the money for it? Of course not, I'm going to beg, borrow and walk the Boulevard in a little dress to pay for it and put the rest on my credit card because having a safe to secure a firearm is my legal responsibility. As for access to my weapons during a break-in? I'm going to tell you and the other Calgunners here a secret: I SLEEP WITH MY UNLOADED COLT M4 6920, with a loaded 10 round 'mag within arm's reach. IF I wake up in time to the forced entry of an intruder there's a good chance that POS will get a midnight snack of Federal 5.56 XM 193. If I'm up and around during day time the gun stays by my side at all times. When I leave the gun goes into the safe. I'm not trying to give you hard time, I'm just trying to help you do things safely and legally. Sleeping with your gun is an option that I choose. You NEED to secure your firearm-that isn't even an option, that's your responsibility, and should've been factored into the cost of getting into the gun hobby; this is a mistake I made as well so you're not alone...

Last edited by myk; 10-12-2012 at 12:01 AM..
Old 10-11-2012, 11:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I use a 1911 as a pillow.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 10-12-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
A proper DOJ approved, compliant safe will be in my house very shortly. Do I have the money for it? Of course not, I'm going to beg, borrow and walk the Boulevard in a little dress to pay for it and put the rest on my credit card because having a safe to secure a firearm is my legal responsibility. As for access to my weapons during a break-in? I'm going to tell you and the other Calgunners here a secret: I SLEEP WITH MY UNLOADED COLT M4 6920, with a loaded 10 round 'mag within arm's reach. IF I wake up in time to the forced entry of an intruder there's a good chance that POS will get a midnight snack of Federal 5.56 XM 193. If I'm up and around during day time the gun stays by my side at all times. When I leave the gun goes into the safe. I'm not trying to give you hard time, I'm just trying to help you do things safely and legally. Sleeping with your gun is an option that I choose. You NEED to secure your firearm-that isn't even an option, that's your responsibility, and should've been factored into the cost of getting into the gun hobby; this is a mistake I made as well so you're not alone...
Is it illegal to not have a gun safe? I've never seen any law about that...I have a Sig Sauer SP 2022 9mm at arms reach.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Is it illegal to not have a gun safe? I've never seen any law about that...I have a Sig Sauer SP 2022 9mm at arms reach.
You just have to secure it, either with a lock and/or a safe. I'm new to the gun thing too, so hopefully a Calgunner with more experience on the matter will chime in...

Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
You just have to secure it, either with a lock and/or a safe. I'm new to the gun thing too, so hopefully a Calgunner with more experience on the matter will chime in...
So wait is it ILLEGAL to not have a lock on your gun or a safe? If you can't answer this I would like someone to chime in as well. If thats the case i personally think that's bull...just my opinion. Some people like to keep guns in multiple different areas of the house hidden. That way whatever happens they are always near a gun...
Old 10-12-2012, 12:25 AM

SHTF is the most Idiotic, OVERused term! Honestly, sorry but yes I mean it.
You really believe in: 1. Zombies 2. 500 delta force operatives all shooting at you with automatic, armor piercing tacticooled M4s. 3. A mob of 10000 civilians all of a sudden collectively decides, agrees, and formulates to come after you and your house.

Then for anyone to say you based your decision to buy X gun for the event of SHTF. You lost me at hello. How about buying weapon because its fun, you enjoy learning to be more accurate and safe with the weapon, protecting loved ones in a more realistic scenario,...
If arming for SHTF, then= 100% confidence in the reliability of your gun and ammo, let alone common sense and skill 1. Wouldn't you stockpile the BEST ammo and gun to completely minimize to the lowest possibility of misfires/problems? Why ask about steel case then. 2. I won't address price cause that actually is a reasonable factor but why not take 2 hours researching your holy S, SHTF gun first before making a purchase that it seems like wasn't very informed on the platform, make, reviews,...

The worse and more likely SHTF is how more and more citizens are being lulled to numbness by the govt., media and society norms. There is no need for guns then, its all over.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfstone View Post
SHTF is the most Idiotic, OVERused term! Honestly, sorry but yes I mean it.
You really believe in: 1. Zombies 2. 500 delta force operatives all shooting at you with automatic, armor piercing tacticooled M4s. 3. A mob of 10000 civilians all of a sudden collectively decides, agrees, and formulates to come after you and your house.

Then for anyone to say you based your decision to buy X gun for the event of SHTF. You lost me at hello. How about buying weapon because its fun, you enjoy learning to be more accurate and safe with the weapon, protecting loved ones in a more realistic scenario,...
If arming for SHTF, then= 100% confidence in the reliability of your gun and ammo, let alone common sense and skill 1. Wouldn't you stockpile the BEST ammo and gun to completely minimize to the lowest possibility of misfires/problems? Why ask about steel case then. 2. I won't address price cause that actually is a reasonable factor but why not take 2 hours researching your holy S, SHTF gun first before making a purchase that it seems like wasn't very informed on the platform, make, reviews,...

The worse and more likely SHTF is how more and more citizens are being lulled to numbness by the govt., media and society norms. There is no need for guns then, its all over.

Go to page 3 and read some of my post and you will see some of my SHTF concerns which are not really in the realm of fantasy. Yes I bought guns to "have fun" but that is secondary to me. The second amendment was not created for you to just "have fun." If you think preparing is idiotic then I don't know what to say. Not preparing is idiotic. If your ancestors were alive today and heard you saying what your saying they would probably laugh at you.