Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-08-2013, 1:46 AM

Default gun building

https://citadelgunandsafe.com/cart/s...s-stock-black/

So I have a question about making a gun from scratch. I am wondering if it is legal to build an uzi or skorpion? I have seen kits online but want to know if they are ca legal. Also I am wondering is this legal in calie? (see link.)
Old 02-08-2013, 6:26 AM

Sure you can build an Uzi or Skorpion. But that Beretta stock is a no go without an SBR stamp as far as I know.
Old 02-08-2013, 5:58 PM

could I have an under folding stock for the uzi and an over folding stock for the skorpion? aslo is that carbine kit legal for a handgun or does it make it into an illegal short barreled rifle?

Last edited by bigguns85; 02-08-2013 at 11:23 PM..
Old 02-08-2013, 11:22 PM

anyone know? bump
Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguns85 View Post
https://citadelgunandsafe.com/cart/s...s-stock-black/

Also I am wondering is this legal in cali? (see link.)
Quote:
could I have an under folding stock for the uzi and an over folding stock for the skorpion? aslo is that carbine kit legal for a handgun or does it make it into an illegal short barreled rifle?
NOT Legal. No, no, no. NO stocks on pistols. That is, without approval from the ATF and payment of your $200 NFA tax stamp. Adding a shoulder stock to a pistol makes it a Short Barrel Rifle, which is a Class III (NFA-regulated) firearm. Doing this would be a Federal felony, punishable by 10 years in Federal Prison.

Additionally, California doesn't allow SBR's no matter what, so you cannot go through the legal steps to get this in your state anyway. Federally they are okay, but the States can still ban them. Unfortunately, even in WA here SBR's are not allowed. I do have a suppressor now that I have moved here, and some other NFA items are okay, but no SBR's here either

Now... all of that said, you CAN have a folding (regardless of over, under, or to the side) stock on an Uzi or Skorpion IF if has at least a 16" barrel and, with the stock folded, still meets minimum overall length requirements of a rifle. In this case, yes, it would be a rifle. You can purchase lots of Uzi variants that are legally rifles. This is the only way to have a shoulder stock and avoid NFA regulations.

My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JeremyS; 02-08-2013 at 11:31 PM..
Old 02-10-2013, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
NOT Legal. No, no, no. NO stocks on pistols. That is, without approval from the ATF and payment of your $200 NFA tax stamp. Adding a shoulder stock to a pistol makes it a Short Barrel Rifle, which is a Class III (NFA-regulated) firearm. Doing this would be a Federal felony, punishable by 10 years in Federal Prison.

Additionally, California doesn't allow SBR's no matter what, so you cannot go through the legal steps to get this in your state anyway. Federally they are okay, but the States can still ban them. Unfortunately, even in WA here SBR's are not allowed. I do have a suppressor now that I have moved here, and some other NFA items are okay, but no SBR's here either

Now... all of that said, you CAN have a folding (regardless of over, under, or to the side) stock on an Uzi or Skorpion IF if has at least a 16" barrel and, with the stock folded, still meets minimum overall length requirements of a rifle. In this case, yes, it would be a rifle. You can purchase lots of Uzi variants that are legally rifles. This is the only way to have a shoulder stock and avoid NFA regulations.
So I can have the Uzi and Skorpion with the folding fram stocks say with a 6 or 7 inch barrel?

Also what is the gun laws like in WA im thinking of moving there. Do you know of any website like calguns for washington? are you allowed to have hi cap mags?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
you CAN have a folding stock IF it has at least a 16" barrel and, with the stock folded, still meets minimum overall length requirements of a rifle.
Quote:
So I can have the Uzi and Skorpion with the folding fram stocks say with a 6 or 7 inch barrel?
Your question has already been answered.