Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-27-2018, 2:40 PM

I wonder how likely the SCOTUS is to hear this now that Kennedy is retiring....

Last edited by jj8325; 06-27-2018 at 2:43 PM..
Old 06-27-2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj8325 View Post
I wonder how likely the SCOTUS is to hear this now that Kennedy is retiring....
Let's not jump the gun. First there has to be a decision by the Ninth Circuit, and second, Trump has to be able to replace one of the justices. With Flake blocking hearings on nominees and the democrats out for blood, do not expect a replacement prior to the midterms, and probably not for some time after.
Old 06-27-2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
Let's not jump the gun. First there has to be a decision by the Ninth Circuit, and second, Trump has to be able to replace one of the justices. With Flake blocking hearings on nominees and the democrats out for blood, do not expect a replacement prior to the midterms, and probably not for some time after.
True. But it seems like the 9th has a history of upholding these type of cases, and I'm hopeful that IF a pro 2A replacement for Kennedy gets in before the midterms, then the SCOTUS will be more inclined to hear these type of cases. Perhaps too optimistic, and time will tell, I suppose.
Old 06-29-2018, 4:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Like poll taxes, the roster was designed to keep poor minorities from exercising a constitutional right.
Not really. The roster includes the Accu-Tek AT-380 which is an ok stainless steel gun, under $300 out the door. A Hi Point 380 is under $150. And used guns are still available. And long guns are still avaiable, including plenty of inexpensive and used shotgun options under $200. I don't think poor minorities are having any problems affording guns here. I think the roster and restrictions on ammo sales is more about ending gun culture, particularly among whites.
Old 06-29-2018, 5:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWFacts View Post
Not really. The roster includes the Accu-Tek AT-380 which is an ok stainless steel gun, under $300 out the door. A Hi Point 380 is under $150. And used guns are still available. And long guns are still avaiable, including plenty of inexpensive and used shotgun options under $200. I don't think poor minorities are having any problems affording guns here. I think the roster and restrictions on ammo sales is more about ending gun culture, particularly among whites.
True. But also racism. Most of the rich liberal elite that run things are white, as are the Rulers and law enforcement, they need to destroy the gun culture. Since the majority of the California population is minority(other than white), the elite white ruling class fear minority gun owners.
Old 06-29-2018, 7:25 AM
Veteran Member

Is it wrong that I'm not upset about the judical sandbagging on this case now with all the SCOTUS developments? Here's to hoping they shot themselves in the foot.
Old 06-29-2018, 8:34 AM

It seems like they were waiting for the NSSF case to complete before they gave a ruling on this one. Now the NSSF case is complete, so I would think they would be movement on this.
Old 06-29-2018, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSOG View Post
Is it wrong that I'm not upset about the judical sandbagging on this case now with all the SCOTUS developments? Here's to hoping they shot themselves in the foot.
From Proverbs:

22 His own iniquities entrap the wicked man, and he is caught in the cords of his sin. (5:22)

3 The Lord will not let good people go hungry, but he will keep the wicked from getting what they want. (10:3)

Custom 3rd Gen 5.9 Cummins Diesel and 48RE Transmission Tuning- PM Me

Voting "Yes" on a California bond measure is like giving a degenerate gambler more money because he says he has the game figured out....

John 14:6
Old 06-29-2018, 9:17 AM
Win win win win
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
It seems like they were waiting for the NSSF case to complete before they gave a ruling on this one. Now the NSSF case is complete, so I would think they would be movement on this.
I don't think NSSF case is "complete." That recent ruling from CA Supreme Court was overturning a motion the state had submitted. The "trial" hadn't even started, IIRC.
Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted... -Mac

Old 06-29-2018, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
I don't think NSSF case is "complete." That recent ruling from CA Supreme Court was overturning a motion the state had submitted. The "trial" hadn't even started, IIRC.
They overturned an order allowing the trial to continue, which means the trial can't continue, or that's my understanding.
Old 06-29-2018, 9:51 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
The expressed hope had been that the Lorcins and Ravens and Davis (from the family of Jason Davis, attorney) would fail the tests, taking the really inexpensive handguns off the market.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
True. But also racism. Most of the rich liberal elite that run things are white, as are the Rulers and law enforcement, they need to destroy the gun culture. Since the majority of the California population is minority(other than white), the elite white ruling class fear minority gun owners.
That is true. A lot of gun control is rich liberal whites hating non-rich whites. They somehow think that non-rich whites with AR15s are bad, while MS13 members walking around armed is no problem. They're not thinking things through all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
The expressed hope had been that the Lorcins and Ravens and Davis (from the family of Jason Davis, attorney) would fail the tests, taking the really inexpensive handguns off the market.
Interesting, didn't know that Jason Davis was connected to that.

The cheapest CA legal gun I found was the wonderful Phoenix Arms HP22A, at about $130. I guess they did succeed in getting rid of the sub-$100 guns, but it's not pricing anyone out of the market.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
McConnell said a day or two ago that he expects the new justice to be on the Bench by Nov 6th elections.

Going from the linked article below, I expect the nominee to be announced before Trump leaves for Europe. July & Aug will be spent with "meet & greet" Q&A between nominee and various Senators. Official hearings and vote will be in Sept. Nominee will be on the Bench to start the Court's new term come first Monday in Oct. (Not sure they'll be on the Bench in time for the Long Conference, last Monday in Sept.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Labor-Day.html

Of course, that is the Dems' worst nightmare, so they'll do everything they can to derail it. But given how many Dem senate candidates are running in states Trump won, they can't get too extreme. IOW, Dems/antis are caught between a rock and a hard place....

There is a God after all!

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 06-30-2018 at 2:12 PM..
Old 07-04-2018, 12:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Looking at the panel on this we have:

Interestingly, 2/3 of the panel are MORMONS! Yes, right here in the 9th circuit, in a gun case, we got a panel with two Mormons appointed by Republicans. What are the odds?

I'm sure we will win at the panel level, 2-1. Really hope Wallace retires immediately after.
Old 07-04-2018, 2:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Looking at the panel on this we have:
[LIST][*]Wallace (Nixon, please retire ASAP dude)
Really hope Wallace retires immediately after.
Wallace has already taken "senior" status. His "seat" on CA9 has been considered open since 1996....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_status

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 07-05-2018, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Wallace has already taken "senior" status. His "seat" on CA9 has been considered open since 1996....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_status
Kim Wardlaw filled his seat when Clinton appointed her.
Old 07-17-2018, 8:20 PM

Well Wallace was the only disent in the CA mag case Duncan. I am pretty worried now in light of the fact a Clinton Dem upheld the injunction in Duncan and Wallace disented
Old 08-03-2018, 9:11 AM

I have just read the summary. Its a loss. I am to angry to deeply read the opinion. Everything else I can understand but the microstamping requirement? Come on

I hope a en bacn petition get filed just to kill time. Once that is denied hopefully Kavanaugh will be on the bench

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...3/15-15449.pdf
Old 08-03-2018, 9:35 AM

Yes, it sounds like a 2-1 loss.

It's my opinion that all gun laws are a violation of the 2nd amendment. Having said that, in the context of the current way of interpreting things, they at least agreed with the concept that guns were still available that had chamber indicators and mag disconnects. However, they completely ignore the fact that not one single company makes a gun with micro-stamping.

This ruling just shows once again that the 9th circuit is not a law abiding entity and will do whatever they want regardless of what the law says. All of them should be removed and imprisoned for miscarriage of justice.

www.BlackRiverTraining.com
Old 08-03-2018, 9:36 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Hmm... Do you think SCOTUS would take this case? Being a pretty CA-specific law, I'm concerned that they'd pass.

What's next, en banc?

Old 08-03-2018, 9:45 AM

Clifford Wallace is a huge disappointment.
Old 08-03-2018, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
I have just read the summary. Its a loss. I am to angry to deeply read the opinion. Everything else I can understand but the microstamping requirement? Come on

I hope a en bacn petition get filed just to kill time. Once that is denied hopefully Kavanaugh will be on the bench

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...3/15-15449.pdf
SCOTUS gives you 90 days to ask for cert. That takes us to early November. Kavanaugh should be confirmed by then, God willing.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
SCOTUS gives you 90 days to ask for cert. That takes us to early November. Kavanaugh should be confirmed by then, God willing.
Trying to find it now, just read yesterday they were anticipating an Oct 1 confirmation date, where the heck did I read that?
Old 08-03-2018, 10:40 AM

It was a recent Chuck Grassley interview:

"If we could get this all done by October 1 when the Supreme Court starts its new fall session it would be ideal, but I think we can get it done soon after that if we don't get it done by October the first," Grassley told Hewitt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
Trying to find it now, just read yesterday they were anticipating an Oct 1 confirmation date, where the heck did I read that?
Old 08-03-2018, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

I want two-tone, wah wah!
Old 08-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Peña v. Cid (Handgun Roster) **Appealed to 9th 2/26/15** Oral args 3/16/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABIO GETS GOOSED!!! View Post
I want two-tone, wah wah!
The rational basis for forbidding two-tone and not single color is ... ?

So it’s Constitutional for the government to forbid you from selling books with black covers ... right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. You break your oath to uphold the Constitution if you don't refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.

Last edited by kcbrown; 08-03-2018 at 12:25 PM..
Old 08-03-2018, 1:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post

So it’s Constitutional for the government to forbid you from selling books with black covers ... right?
The proof is in the pudding lol.

It would be nice to go on a trip down memory lane to read my original criticisms of this massive turd of a case, but they seem to have vanished into the ether unfortunately. This was a textbook example of what not to do, you could not have crafted this any more carefully to ensure a loss even if you tried.
Old 08-03-2018, 1:09 PM

Quote:

It would be nice to go on a trip down memory lane to read my original criticisms of this massive turd of a case, but they seem to have vanished into the ether unfortunately. This was a textbook example of what not to do, you could not have crafted this any more carefully to ensure a loss even if you tried.
You have to admit the microstamping requirement is pretty crazy though. It appears impossible to comply with. The 51 page disent lays out why it is unconstitutional better than I ever can.
Old 08-03-2018, 1:22 PM

Quote:
You have to admit the microstamping requirement is pretty crazy though. It appears impossible to comply with. The 51 page disent lays out why it is unconstitutional better than I ever can.
But california is saying it will only cost 10 per gun and can be done. They sided with their evidence apparently.
WTB: Pietta 45lc conversion cylinder
Old 08-03-2018, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The evidence of "impossibility" fell short, it was essentially a litigation posture and the majority saw through that and was generally not impressed by the manufacturers' deliberate non-compliance with the roster. (I made similar observations here and here.)
Old 08-03-2018, 1:25 PM

Let SCOTUS settle it once for all with a 6-3 ruling. I see Ginburgs or one of the fat girls leaving for a health reason.
Old 08-03-2018, 1:40 PM

Sigh.
Old 08-03-2018, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Hmm... Do you think SCOTUS would take this case? Being a pretty CA-specific law, I'm concerned that they'd pass.

What's next, en banc?
Its going to be interesting isn't it. If SCOTUS passes, I would assume more states start to pick this law up. If more states pick this law up, do manufacturers blink first and start implementing?

(I'll mention that my view is it probably is feasible to implement)
Old 08-03-2018, 1:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Oh I quite agree, the approach is lacking.

But let me put it this way: if the court will uphold a law on an as-applied basis even though it fails rational basis in that circumstance, how can you possibly expect to win under ANY circumstances?

The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. You break your oath to uphold the Constitution if you don't refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

Old 08-03-2018, 1:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The evidence of "impossibility" fell short, it was essentially a litigation posture and the majority saw through that and was generally not impressed by the manufacturers' deliberate non-compliance with the roster. (I made similar observations here and here.)

Then explain how the dissent is incorrect as a matter of law.

Old 08-03-2018, 1:59 PM

So you think it is possible to stamp make model and serial number in two places at the time of firing a cartridge? And further you think it is possible for a handgun to do this reliably how many times it for how long?

Then when someone replaces a slide, barrel, firing pin, this will continue to work?

I'm calling bs. This is more magical thinking from the anti gun folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
Its going to be interesting isn't it. If SCOTUS passes, I would assume more states start to pick this law up. If more states pick this law up, do manufacturers blink first and start implementing?

(I'll mention that my view is it probably is feasible to implement)
Old 08-03-2018, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncivil Engineer View Post
So you think it is possible to stamp make model and serial number in two places at the time of firing a cartridge? And further you think it is possible for a handgun to do this reliably how many times it for how long?

Then when someone replaces a slide, barrel, firing pin, this will continue to work?

I'm calling bs. This is more magical thinking from the anti gun folks.
Its possible to do...badly.

The firing pin stamp would be pretty consistent. Probably 98% of the time.

The headstamp would be inconsistent. If you look at the samples they always stamp in a clear spot away from the ammo manufacturer label. Real world situations you'd hit the label and mess up the print. Steel cases would be another common failure. (And yes, we all know this could be bypassed easily...just like now where you can remove a magazine disconnect etc.)

Hindsight is 20/20, but this case may have been stronger had a few manufacturers submitted inconsistent guns to california for approval and they fail. Over and Over. Then you have solid evidence.

Last edited by Sousuke; 08-03-2018 at 2:15 PM..
Old 08-03-2018, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post

Call me "Mr. Two Tone".

The state's position is that when *some* people buy the two-tone version, the firearm is "not unsafe". Further, the state's position is that it is OK to buy the two-tone variant, as long as you do so making two separate purchases. The state agrees that slide of another color is not the firearm, and thus that the firearm has not changed, and agrees that the statute requires the state to approve the sale of the gun. But the state refuses to do so. Even worse, when the actual firearm changed, from black to green, the state contradicted itself and approved the sale.

Exactly how does the method of purchase change the unsafe-ness of a handgun? Or one's vocational background?

Talk about inconsistent and irrational.... it is hard to imagine a less rational argument from a state actor. Yet the court see this as proper behavior?
Old 08-03-2018, 3:18 PM

Quote:
... the substantial problem of untraceable bullets at crime scenes ...
It's clear these are not gun owning judges.

Quote:
... the statute limits commercial sales of new models of semiautomatic pistols ...
They refer a few times to how the law doesn't stop possession only commercial sales. Again they don't own guns because if they did they would know that the law regulates commercial sales, and possession. I can't just buy a gun on the used market if it's not commercially available inside California. Maybe they think you can just buy the gun out of state, or import it, which of course they would know you can't if they owned guns.
Old 08-03-2018, 3:24 PM
Veteran Member

Where the rubber hits the road is how the regulations affect one's exercise of the right to self-defense and the "it's irrational because it's the same firearm just a different color" etc. arguments are precisely why this turd was doomed to be flushed into oblivion. It is by far the worst argument that could possibly have been made under the circumstances lol. "I want two-tone" who gives a sh*t?!

Last edited by FABIO GETS GOOSED!!!; 08-03-2018 at 3:29 PM..