Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC2140 View Post
I think its a great Idea to have a list of good gun stores and stores that we should avoid in the SD area this gives anyone just browsing through this site to take advice on good stores and avoid the bad ones hopefully this will make the bad ones change their ways or die off.
Agreed. Threads of this nature have surely saved me from unneeded headaches, aggravation, and time wasted. They are an invaluable resource for helping the local SD members choose the right places to contribute to and the right places to avoid.
Old 02-02-2013, 5:34 PM

I am in Nor Cal and need a part from Parallax. Can anyone close by pick up a small part for me? I need a FAL bullet button that they make.
Parallax has stopped doing Online business, and they dont answer there phone.
They are posting on Facebook that their business is very good, but that doesnt do me any good if I cant buy a part from them and I cant drive down there for a $50.00 part.
PM me if you are able to help.
Thanks
Old 02-02-2013, 7:00 PM
CGN Contributor

El Cajon Gun Exchange THUMBS DOWN

California Police Supply THUMBS DOWN

I'm young as well and my cash is as good as anyone else's but the dusty old turds at these two outfits are rude, condescending, and all around jack holes. Not somewhere you take your kids if you're trying to introduce them to gun culture.

Discount Gun Mart THUMBS UP

Polite, friendly, knowledgeable and they understand the concept of being "open" to the public beyond having their front doors unlocked. They've earned my business and will for years to come.
Old 02-03-2013, 1:39 AM
Warmongering Pacifist
CGN Contributor

Parallax Tactical and Wiser Owl are my go-to stores.

I won't set foot in Fine Firearms or Discount Gun Mart.

Americans who are not self-reliant and depend on government to take care of them are not Americans. You cannot depend on government and be free.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 PM

Parallax Tactical. Fav spot.
Haven't been to many other spots.
Old 02-04-2013, 4:13 AM

Location: Wtt/ Front Sight Diamond for a 1911 9mm or .45 please!!!

Wiser owl, they really give that personal touch, Casey is awesome, they didn't price gouge like most and they really are wiling to help you. Chase is a great gun tech and their prices are within reach.
Old 02-05-2013, 5:32 PM

My experience with Parallax Tactical a year ago was of constantly just seemingly being forgot about. Wanted a handgun they usually had in stock. Went there and the guy said he'd email me when the next shipment was coming. After a month of never getting an email, I emailed him. He told me two weeks. I emailed him again in two weeks and he quickly pushed me off onto their "main sales guy." Who gave me the regurgitated, "They'll be here in two weeks, I'll let you know exactly when they arrive." Emailed him in two weeks. He told me two weeks again. I emailed the main guy Joe after that, basically saying here's my money, special order it if you have to. He said two weeks. I emailed him again saying I just want to special order it. Never heard back from any of them. I even went in there twice. This was before they rose in popularity, most I ever saw was one or two other customers in there. I wasn't in a hurry and some dumb part of me wanted to support the company everyone on CG was raving about, never again.

I forget the man's name, but the guy that runs Big Shots, holy molly is he nice. I went in there when it opened to check it out and ended up talking to him for 30 minutes. Another thing I noticed and liked about him was while I was talking to him, he was still greeting new customers and seeing if they needed anything. Hate when I'm ignored while the worker is simply shooting the ****. The one big con though, when he did finally start selling fire arms, the one I wanted was 110$ more there than another place I was checking. I'll penny up for customer service, but 110$, nope.

In my experience (and also seemingly all my friends) DAS has made themselves out to be the king of the non-fud shops. Their prices aren't very competitive, but they know what they're doing and are pretty nice people.

My best all around experiences are Royal Loan (pawnshop.) Nice people behind the counters and everything has always run smoothy for me.

And contrary to apparently everyone else on this board, SoCal Guns (which just closed last October.) Whenever I went in I could never make it to the back without being asked politely if I needed help, and reminded if I wanted anything in particular they'd make it happen for me.

Sounds like I need to go check out Wiser Owl.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:39 PM

TDS Guns in Bonita is my go to spot. Great sales team real friendly and knowledgeable. I did a AR-15 build using all there parts and purchase my ammo from them as well.
Old 02-07-2013, 6:39 PM

My Faves:
TDS GUNS
Discount Gun Mart
Parallax Tactical
Old 02-08-2013, 7:20 AM

Sounds like I have to check out a few shops, particularly Wiser Owl and DAS. I hadn't been out to El Cajon Gun Exchange, and from what I read, I won't bother.

Turners on Clairemont - Good
American Shooting Center on Ruffin - Good (usually)

I have had good and bad experiences at California Police Equipment, I went in there once (years ago) looking for a holster. I wanted a particular type, so seeing that the store was empty, and instead of going through all their inventory, I asked the woman at the counter. That was a mistake, I got short, rude remarks. It got so bad that I ended up leaving shortly after and determined I would not do business with them, and would make sure nobody else did that I cared about. Years later I returned, only because I was with a friend who was driving and who wanted to go there. I had the opposite experience, very helpful and patient. I now go there, but cautiously.
Old 02-08-2013, 3:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC2140 View Post
I think its a great Idea to have a list of good gun stores and stores that we should avoid in the SD area this gives anyone just browsing through this site to take advice on good stores and avoid the bad ones hopefully this will make the bad ones change their ways or die off.
http://shooting.forsandiego.com/Stores.html

There's a Yelp link for each one... if they treated you well or badly, say so! If enough people do that, and you see some have lots of good reviews and some have lots of bad, there you go!

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I had my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Old 02-14-2013, 2:00 PM

Everyone should check out "Team Big Shots" on Miramar Road, Wiser owl, Parralax, or DAS.

Team Big Shots is my favorite. Probable the newest store in SD but will quickly become the best shop in town. The staff is awesome and the shop is by far the biggest. Once they are fully stocked, after this "gun rush", they will be a store that all stores will be compared to.

Wiser Owl - Great small store with a good friendly staff.

Parralax - Pretty good staff but I agree with other posts that you need to be proactive to get help.

DAS - This is the store to deal with for SSE as of right now. They do a lot of them and they know what/ how to get what ever you need.

Recently picked up these 2 builds from Team Big Shots

Old 02-14-2013, 3:27 PM

DAS - Extremely helpful and friendly. Picked up my off-roster 1911 there.
Parallax - Also helpful and friendly, gets very busy though.
Gonna hit Big Shot this week and check it out.
Old 02-14-2013, 3:40 PM
Banned

Wiser Owl is in one of those crowd free locations and Chase the gunsmith is cool as all get out and is quick ,knowledgeable, reasonable labor and they have the BEST FFL to FFL transfer fee at $35..The shop isnt bad either once they get more stuff in stock but thats an issue all the shops are having and they do have "cool guy" accessories that are hard to find ... ALthough I HATE having to wait around for anything, Parallax is the place to go for parts if you must have it today... Discount Guns on Morena is the place to go to buy handguns/rifles and to shoot...Out of all the places in SD, Ive purchased the majority of my guns there. El Cajon Gun Exchange is probably the only shop I have yet to buy a gun from in the SD area all because they wouldnt quote a price over the phone or price match a Glock for me.... Place to go if you wanna buy ammo and have NO HURRY gunsmithing done.. P2k can kiss my ***

Last edited by Atlantaboi2012; 02-14-2013 at 3:46 PM..
Old 02-14-2013, 3:53 PM

The Good.....

Glock Store -I love this place! The staff there are always helpful, have positive attitudes and are knowledgeable. They either have, or can order, just about anything I need.

Discount Gun Mart (Santee) - The staff at the location in Santee have always been pretty decent to me. Helpful folks and I was able to find some items I had been looking for in their pro shop.

Fine Firearms - Cool dudes. They have a pretty good selection of firearms and a decent enough selection of accessories and such. I bought one of my pistols there. They gave me a good deal and it was a no-hassle transaction.

Triple E - This is a law enforcement dealer; so, I don't think everyone can shop there. However, I bought a pistol from them and the staff was great. They even grabbed the official Glock rep while he was in the store and had him install my Trijicon sights.

And the Ugly...

American Shooting Center - Awful customer service, rude staff and bad business practices. I once bought a pistol there and got the run around. I demanded my money back and haven't stepped foot in there since and that was two years ago.

Old 02-15-2013, 5:41 AM

I have been to most shops here in SD and they are all, for the most part, very similar. If you go to Turner's (either one) or Parallax, be prepared to wait no matter what you are looking for. American Shooting Center might have the rudest staff I've encountered of ANY business in San Diego.

My choices:

For optics: Precision Arms in Escondido

All Else: Kal Customs in Fallbrook. Thanfully, this place is off the beaten path for most, and it stays empty and un-abused. They have the finest customer service (family owned) I've encountered in the industry. They always have reloading supplies in stock. I just purchased several pounds of Varget and a few hundred rounds of SMK in various calibers and paid a fair price. Why? Because they don't raise prices of product - ever. Say they bought a box of bullets a year ago and set it on the shelf. Even if their price goes up, they leave the old product price alone and only adjust the price on the new product that comes in. Awesome deals can be found here. The gunsmith, and owner, is extremely knowledgable as well. He was the gunsmith for the US Olympic team too! I love this shop and will not go anywhere else.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:01 AM

I've only purchased from 3 places and they were all great experiences but I can say TDS guns off Bonita Road is the best place. The staff is super friendly, they have a good amount of stuff in stock, and they're really looking to help you out and not upsell you on crap.

I pretty much bought all the pieces for my AR build from them unless they didn't have it (barrel, lower, LPK were online) and this was in January and the prices were really good. Since I was a newb they helped me when I couldn't figure out how to put something together and even when the store was packed they gave me tons of info.

American Shooting Center is awesome too. The guys can be gruff if you're stupid, but I'm a member there and they're awesome. They've even helped me in putting one round on top of the other with my 1911.
Old 02-25-2013, 4:32 AM

I really like parallax. Yes, they can be slow, but only once in the last ~20 visits did I feel customer service was not excellent.

I try to avoid el cajon shooting center and ASC. I'm dissatisfied with their customer service. They have decent products, but if I feel unwelcome, I'll take my business elsewhere.

California police supply has changed owners and I found service went downhill initially and then returned so I wonder if the negative comments accurately reflect the current owners.

I need to check out DAS and Team Big Shot.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:38 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

I'm younger(23) but I have some cash to spend on stuff that I want. I recently moved back to San Diego, and while there are more gun stores here, they are all super busy. I currently don't have a job so I decided to familiarize myself with the stores within driving distance. Here are my thoughts on the few that stood out.

American shooting center is more of a range than a store, but the staff seemed nice and helpful when I did want to buy something.

Discount gun mart I cannot stand. Their staff is young, but not in an understanding helpful way, they seem douchey. Their prices are very high and the range on Morena was filthy.

Parallax is cool and they have stuff, but too many people and I didn't like the feel of the employees(whatever that means to you.)

Wiser owl seemed nice, but like most people have said they have almost nothing to sell and even with 4 people in the shop they seemed swamped.

El Cajon gun exchange had ammo and people trying to sell guns, but for the most part they were older and just plain rude.

California police supply is just that, a police supply place, their prices seem high and their staff has a somewhat gruff demeanor. It's almost like they want to sell to the police or something.

Turners is great, the staff are young and honest about expectations during this time. It may take awhile to get helped but when you do get helped they help you until you are satisfied, just don't forget to take a number.

The one that I have had the best experience with and few people have commented on is P2K range in El Cajon. It is a bit of a drive, quite often busy and as most of the above their stock right now is limited. The staff is young and as long as you talk to the guys and not the girls(as pretty as they may be) they are helpful and knowledgeable. The prices for things other than guns seem fair(as fair as anyone right now) but their range fees are rather high if you want to shoot for awhile. I have only been there since the shootings so almost everything "black and scary" is sold out, but they have shotguns and some handguns for seemingly reasonable prices. It is first and foremost a range, which is reflected by the 100 yard indoor range and outside shotgun area, but their customer service is good if you get in line and wait your turn.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapRackBang View Post
El Cajon Gun Exchange THUMBS DOWN

California Police Supply THUMBS DOWN

I'm young as well and my cash is as good as anyone else's but the dusty old turds at these two outfits are rude, condescending, and all around jack holes. Not somewhere you take your kids if you're trying to introduce them to gun culture.

Discount Gun Mart THUMBS UP

Polite, friendly, knowledgeable and they understand the concept of being "open" to the public beyond having their front doors unlocked. They've earned my business and will for years to come.
triple for this^^^^
Old 02-25-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift View Post

California police supply has changed owners and I found service went downhill initially and then returned so I wonder if the negative comments accurately reflect the current owners.
the current owners are HORRID, terrible prices, attitude towards any non leo, and out right lies to get out of doing PPT's..
Old 02-25-2013, 1:34 PM

Try Hillcrest Pawn Shop. Even though they are a Pawn Shop they have a pretty decent selection of firearms and ammo. They are one of the last places I saw any AR's in stock.
Old 03-05-2013, 6:24 AM

Anyone know of a gunsmith in San Diego that can take off a pinned fh on a 14.5 barrel and install a low profile gas block and repin a new fh? Or of one that can shave a fsb down and help install a centurion rail? Keep in mind the barrel is 14.5. I know of other shops online like ar15barrels, but I rather save on the shipping and the extra charges.

Thanks

Also, what is this "chase" gunshop/gunsmith?

Last edited by Dollar; 03-05-2013 at 6:30 AM..
Old 03-16-2013, 12:27 AM

TDS guns in Bonita - The staff was friendly, knowledgeable and easy to work with during a recent PPT with mr-benster for a Mossberg SPX 930, plus they offer military discounts and lots of accessories for ARs.

Turners Kearney Mesa - When they have good discounts in their weekly ads, but that usually leads to large crowds on to deal with on Thursday and Friday.

Discount Gun Mart off Moreno Blvd - for range hours, access and ease of use and purchase of accessories.
Old 03-23-2013, 8:03 PM

Paralax Tactical
Big Shot
Wiser Owl
Discount Gun (morena)
Cal Police Equipment

Have bought at all and had great experiences at all. Not sure who people are talking to or maybe its how you carry yourself, nothing negative so far.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:15 AM

for AR and AK stuff #1 is parallax tactical, still great customer service and the best prices on town for most of the stuff, #2 big shot, they are getting there, great customer service, not as many parts like parallax and prices are pretty good, #3 TDS guns AKA last resort, customer service is ok if you dont speak to one of the owners or at least he had that attitude when i talked to that particular guy, everybody else was fine, prices are way higher but they have some stuff. for any other kind of guns, I will go first to la mesa collectibles, they have a pretty good selection of reloading supply's, theres a new store in chula vista called bella vista outfitters, the customer service was great, is pretty much a mom and pop's store, pretty small but they have tons of stuff, I found 22lr ammo and they have tons of lee reloading equip.
Old 03-24-2013, 8:06 PM

For EBRs: I've had good experiences at Parallax Tactical.

For long range rifles: Precision Arms in Escondido can set you up with pretty much whatever you want (and he'll even take you out to Pala to show you how to properly use it).

For pistols: Discount Gun Mart (Morena) seemed to be pretty good (they shipped product from their Santee store to the Morena store since it was closer to my house) but I haven't been back there since.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:40 PM

Faith Armory in Temecula and The Shootist in Murrieta
Old 03-30-2013, 8:16 PM

California Police Equipment doesn't even like cops
Old 04-05-2013, 7:11 AM
Veteran Member

Default Check them out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoilerv2 View Post
El cajon gun exchange is horrible. I don't understand why they're still in business.
Check out their reviews on Yelp.

Former Front Sight Commander Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer
Old 04-05-2013, 8:44 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

I'm a huge huge fan of Precision Arms in Escondido... awesome laid back gun enthusiast owner. Great selection of rifles in store.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:53 PM

Another vote for:
California Police Equipment on El Cajon Blvd
and
Discount Gun Mart in Santee

Another vote against El Cajon Gun Exchange. Technical ignorance, terrible attitude, awful pricing, and predictable know-it-all obnoxiousness of a staff mostly filled with non-vets and non-LEOs but all agreed amongst themselves they are Gun Whisperers.
Old 04-20-2013, 1:15 AM
Veteran Member

I am in north county coastal in SD and I too am a young gun (20). I have bought 2 of the 3 guns from National Police Supply. The guy there is a good man and runs a solid business. While he is more of a FFL rather than a gun shop, he can order and sell you guns or be your FFL transfer guy. In his shop though he does have gear on display you can buy. He is also a wealth of information. I have also bought a lower there. And going there for a pistol when I come of age. I highly recommend National Police Supply.
Old 04-20-2013, 6:56 AM

As has been said before:

Fine firearms in La Mesa, Parallax, and P2K are good(p2k has a couple douchy RO's but the shop people have been good every time I have been).

Never had a good experience at El Cajon Gun.

I haven't been to a lot of the other shops, but I'm sure there are many more good ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
I love meat. All in my mouth. Juices flowing down my mouth. And Id swallow
Old 05-21-2013, 7:34 PM

Just went to team big shot today. Great customer service.

Initially went in looking for a mini 30, Drew was helping me and spent a good 30 minutes on that. Explained to me why it was such and issue and recommended some alternatives.

While he was showing me some other guns, specifically an AR-10, R700, and a few AR-15s, I was chatting with the girlfriend.

The other rep heard me talking about duty and found out he has done flight ops with the Desert Ducks on my ship numerous times in the past.

They're currently looking for a specific gun for me and took down my info to let me know what happens.

Best customer service I've seen in a while. Staff is very nice, easy to talk, knowledgable and willing to help.

From what I saw prices were very competitive and they had a decent stock of AR everything if you're into that.

Already recommended to my friend looking for a complete upper. Worth checking out.