Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:45 AM

Default 9mm or .38 Special Revolver for Steel Challenge

Pros and cons of shooting eather a 9mm or .38 revolver for Steel Challenge. Is it just the cost of ammo? I do my own reloading. Iím looking to buying a revolver and looking at a 929 or 686, 10-8. Does not look like a lot of choice to buy wadecutter projectiles and more expensive to reload. Iím I right or am I missing something? Just good deals on .38s.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2018, 10:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Pro: It will make you a better shooter
Con: You'll have to almost completely chane the way you managae your trigger between targets

Between your two options, I choose the 929 for the extra two shots in case you have to make up more than one miss.

My personal opinion is that you're be better off with an 8-shot 627
Old 07-02-2018, 8:10 AM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
Pro: It will make you a better shooter
Con: You'll have to almost completely chane the way you managae your trigger between targets

Between your two options, I choose the 929 for the extra two shots in case you have to make up more than one miss.

My personal opinion is that you're be better off with an 8-shot 627
I'm curious as to why you prefer the .38 over the 9mm in this particular sport? It seems like 9mm would be cheaper to feed either reloading or using factory ammo?
Old 07-02-2018, 1:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
I'm curious as to why you prefer the .38 over the 9mm in this particular sport? It seems like 9mm would be cheaper to feed either reloading or using factory ammo?
For the limited use of shooting steel, assuming you never have to reloaded on the clock, there isn't a whole lot of difference...the OP said that he already reloads

It there is an intent to use the gun in another sport like ICORE or USPSA, the .38 revolver offers more reliable ejection. Reloads are just as fast if you use Short Colt brass
Old 07-02-2018, 6:50 PM

I know a few guys that shoot .38. They seem to like it. I guess they have extra cash to burn for ammo plus they got the revolver at a good price. There a lot for sale.
Old 07-02-2018, 7:25 PM

The 8 shot revolver works great in Steel challenge, ICORE, or USPSA. There are divisions for 6 or 8 shot revolvers in ICORE. The 6 shot revo isn't used much now in USPSA since they started allowing 8 shot revolvers.
Old 07-06-2018, 6:49 PM

Demus319,
I had the same thoughts as you. I was torn between a 686+, 986 or 929. Even though I like the larger N frame and extra round, I didn't really want the longer barrel 929. I liked the feel of the 986, but since I don't own a 9mm, that meant I would have to spend another few hundred on reloading supplies. So I bought a 686+ with a 3" barrel. I like the feel and balance, I already have a reloading setup for .38/.357, but now the downside.
I spent the better part of an hour with my magnifying glass, calipers, feeler gauge and flashlight, trying to follow the "revolver checkout procedure". It shoots pretty tight, but everything shoots left. I just called S&W and received my packing slip to send it in for warranty work. I think the barrel is canted, even though it is not visible under slight magnification. I guess this could and does happen with any firearm. The other thing you need to consider is that you should get the cylinder cut for moonclips if you want faster reloads. After using my 625 for a while, I really came to like moonclips. Even if you have moonclips for .38 specials, I presume it will be slower to feed new .38 specials than shorter cases lIke .38 shot colts.
I am still thinking about a 986 or 929 for my next purchase.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:41 PM

Thanks DMY
Old 07-19-2018, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

I prefer the 929 over the 627 mostly due to the longer barrel length of the 929. Recoil is dampened a bit better by the longer tube but some people prefer the lighter and easier to move transition of the shorter 5 to 5.5" barrel. Since I'm more used to a 6.5" tube, the 929 was a natural choice for me personally.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:21 PM
👀Theyíre Watching 👀
CGN Contributor

I’ll say that I love shooting my 929.. one of my favorite guns! I went with 9mm, only because I consolidated all of my handguns to strictly 9s.
Old 07-19-2018, 4:00 PM

Six shots is a con in SC, eight shots is far better.

Wadcutters are a con, very slow if you have to do a reload on the clock. Use roundnose or turnicated cone projectiles for faster reloads.

Shorter cases will reload faster than long cases, but you've got to be a very fast reloader to know the difference.

The 9mm S&W' s all have the same spec barrels as the .38's.

The 929's can be difficult to eject fired moonclips. They work best with matched headstamped brass if you are reloading. The fit of 9mm brass in moonclips varies widely. 38 brass is much more forgiving in moonclips fit.

The best solution is to use Short Colt brass in both the 9 and the 38.
Old 07-20-2018, 6:21 AM
Veteran Member

The thing about SC is that if you are firing more than 5 shots you are wasting time.. so the 6 shot/8 shot thing is a moot point if you don't miss. SC is about accuracy at speed. The 929 is not hard to eject spent moons if you load ammo with the right powders. Unlike a semi-auto that has an extractor, it behooves you to burn slower powder than you are used to in a semi-auto due to case over expansion of 8 rounds over the single round that gets extracted for a semi-auto.

Many people have turned to using Lapua 9mm brass but I've found that Starline brass works just fine as long as I'm not using fast burning powders like N310, Bullseye or Titegroup. My go to powder for the 929 is Sport Pistol for coated bullets or Herco for the heavier weight coated or plated RN bullets. I only need 3.7 gr of Herco to push a 147 gr plated X-treme .357" to an average 131 pf.