Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 PM

Default Anyone else here serve in their states SDF?

I recently joined CASMR and absolutely love it! A great group of driven, dedicated volunteers... Twice the citizen

I got sworn in last month, and yesterday I had my first MUTA (drill). They did combat life saver re-cert for the SMR soldiers and ARNG soldiers of the 49th MP BDE. Since myself and a few others are new to the SMR, we focused primarily on drill and ceremony, military customs and courtesies, and gaining your military bearing. I have BOC this month on the 14th thru 16th at Camp Parks so I'm looking forward to that. Over the next few MUTAs we'll be doing SECFOR training as well as weapons training and quals, though I'm not sure with what... Most likely the M9.

I most definetely recommend the CSMR to anyone wishing to serve a higher purpose and gain new skills and experience in the process.
Old 06-04-2013, 7:48 PM

My paperwork is in, just waiting for livescan and orders. last weekend they did riot training and everyone got pepper sprayed.
Old 06-05-2013, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
My paperwork is in, just waiting for livescan and orders. last weekend they did riot training and everyone got pepper sprayed.
Screw pepper spray. I've been sprayed one too many times for training in the Navy. My face reacts worse every time. =/ Ain't doing that crap again.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:02 AM

I hear that! Got sprayed in the police academy and it was no fun. Cruel and unusual punishment if you ask me lol!

Hey ECG 88, are you in Northern or Southern California? Any idea what unit you will be assigned to yet?
Old 06-10-2013, 5:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Do you guys have some sort of Basic Training? Are there MOS's? Kinda like National Guard but not? Just curious because I never heard of this til now.
Old 06-11-2013, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evidens83 View Post
Do you guys have some sort of Basic Training? Are there MOS's? Kinda like National Guard but not? Just curious because I never heard of this til now.
We do have a basic training course, or BOC (Basic Orientation Course), which is roughly 3 days in length and meant to bring new recruits up to speed on military customs, courtesies, drill & ceremony, etc. While this is only 3 days, when you're new (like myself) you will spend most of your drill learning the basics of soldiering. My last drill, everyone got to re-cert in combat life saver training with the NG troops so I missed out on that one. I'm not too sure on how MOS's work. There are specialty fields in areas in various SDF's such as medical, logistics, JAG (lawyer), Chaplains, Law Enforcement/Security, and others.

As far as I understand, we receive the same MOS training as NG members. I know that the Mississippi State Guard personnel receive the same MOS training as their NG counterparts do.

Yes, it is like the NG except that we are not warfighters like the NG is. Our mission is to support and augment the NG within the state boundaries and provide military assistance to civil authorities within the state boundaries. Our training reflects this. Like our NG counterparts, SDF personnel are sworn members of their states military forces and subject to the provisions of UCMJ... That means when the Governor (our commander-in-chief) calls us to State Active Duty, our voluntary service no longer becomes voluntary.