Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 07-18-2012, 5:01 PM

Default San Diego County Coyote Hunting

Delete

Last edited by huntandski; 07-08-2013 at 8:23 PM..
Old 07-18-2012, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

There are coyote hunting video's and also check out youtube for tips.It's really not much to it you just have to keep at it.One day i made 8 stands on 2 ranches and nothing came in.Then there are times a coyote will come in on the first stand and first sound.You need to be quiet when you get to your location don't slam doors sneak into your stop set up.I load my rifle as soon as i leave my truck sometimes you will jump a coyote on the way to your spot.
good luck
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:38 PM

What do you hunt?, do you have a decent rifle for taking long shots at them (Coyotes)? Where ya located?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:11 PM

Here is my coyote rifle, but I have to be honest. I have never shot a coyote yet on the rifle. LOL!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_2.jpg (94.5 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by GJC; 07-18-2012 at 11:15 PM..
Old 07-19-2012, 7:49 AM

Nice coyote rifle, and that is a good round for coyotes. I would do something to camo your rifle. It is shiny, and they could be busting you. Even if you just wrap a camo rag around the front- you want to break up the profile so it looks more natural and blends into your surroundings. Also wear a face mask and gloves. Coyotes have incredible eye sight. I got busted at 1000 yards last week, after killing one at 75 yards.

I've called in around a dozen coyotes this year all but one with hand calls. If you have a good spot, with coyote sign- I'd be willing to come down and call them in for you. I'll just bring a shotgun. I'm always interested in hunting new areas, and heard there were some very good spots in San Diego.

Keep trying.
Old 07-19-2012, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truep View Post
Nice coyote rifle, and that is a good round for coyotes. I would do something to camo your rifle. It is shiny, and they could be busting you. Even if you just wrap a camo rag around the front- you want to break up the profile so it looks more natural and blends into your surroundings. Also wear a face mask and gloves. Coyotes have incredible eye sight. I got busted at 1000 yards last week, after killing one at 75 yards.

I've called in around a dozen coyotes this year all but one with hand calls. If you have a good spot, with coyote sign- I'd be willing to come down and call them in for you. I'll just bring a shotgun. I'm always interested in hunting new areas, and heard there were some very good spots in San Diego.

Keep trying.
Yea I need to repaint the barrel, It has bbq black spray paint on it Miles of walking through brush is starting to show.
Old 07-19-2012, 8:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Movement is the big killer they will pick it right up.
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 07-19-2012, 5:46 PM

I hunt dove, jacks, cottons, and have gotten one yote in my day. I was tromping through the brush looking for rabbits when I pretty much stepped on the coyotes tail. It ran and I shot it. And I have a 5.56 AR15 and just got a 16x scope for it. Located in San Diego.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:41 PM

Well went out after work today, had two we should have got in the first hour. Next time no slaming down monster energy before we go! lol
Old 07-21-2012, 9:20 AM

Does that mean you missed the shot or were made and didn't get a shot off?
Old 07-21-2012, 6:43 PM

Good binoculars is my best tip.Try not calling.The areas near where I live are called by many,leaving the things pretty educated.I hunt other areas,(you can see the coyotes), where friends live and they have called alot with no success.I look for travel routes and set up in the shade for a ambush,at least 100 yds away from the route.I see more than I shoot.If I do call it is a big waiting game.Sometimes 30-45 minutes.Yes,it is kind of boring,but the binoculars help the time pass and I see many other things.Like Shoot it said,be quiet.I usually will walk at least 1/2 mile,into the wind and over a couple hills.I have been able to shoot coyotes walking out of trails away from other folks,that are standing in the back of a pickup,banging coffee cups and pop cans on the truck top,while blowing a rabbit call.That was a double that makes me laugh to this day.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44fred View Post
Does that mean you missed the shot or were made and didn't get a shot off?
After hiking up a long steep hill and out of breath and twitching lol. 90 degees and we were in full camo. So yea we both missed, normallly that would have been an easy shot at 250yrds. Two big coyotes, oh well next time.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotegunner View Post
Good binoculars is my best tip.Try not calling.The areas near where I live are called by many,leaving the things pretty educated.I hunt other areas,(you can see the coyotes), where friends live and they have called alot with no success.I look for travel routes and set up in the shade for a ambush,at least 100 yds away from the route.I see more than I shoot.If I do call it is a big waiting game.Sometimes 30-45 minutes.Yes,it is kind of boring,but the binoculars help the time pass and I see many other things.Like Shoot it said,be quiet.I usually will walk at least 1/2 mile,into the wind and over a couple hills.I have been able to shoot coyotes walking out of trails away from other folks,that are standing in the back of a pickup,banging coffee cups and pop cans on the truck top,while blowing a rabbit call.That was a double that makes me laugh to this day.
I am gonna try that, they are smart out there Thanks! Need to do a camo job on my rifle, I spooked another one at 600yrds. Flat black but needs to be changed.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot-it View Post
There are coyote hunting video's and also check out youtube for tips.It's really not much to it you just have to keep at it.One day i made 8 stands on 2 ranches and nothing came in.Then there are times a coyote will come in on the first stand and first sound.You need to be quiet when you get to your location don't slam doors sneak into your stop set up.I load my rifle as soon as i leave my truck sometimes you will jump a coyote on the way to your spot.
good luck
Exactly how it is, and load my rifle as soon as i leave my truck you never know.
Old 07-22-2012, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJC View Post
I am gonna try that, they are smart out there Thanks! Need to do a camo job on my rifle, I spooked another one at 600yrds. Flat black but needs to be changed.
FYI - Home Depot carries camo spray paint. Think it comes in 3 or 4 colors:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

You can buy the cans individually in the store. I bought some other colors at Michael's Art Supply because the Multicam pattern I was doing needed some special colors.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=589949

Cheers!

Fire at Will . . . man it really sucks to be Will!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFX_man View Post
FYI - Home Depot carries camo spray paint. Think it comes in 3 or 4 colors:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

You can buy the cans individually in the store. I bought some other colors at Michael's Art Supply because the Multicam pattern I was doing needed some special colors.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=589949

Cheers!
Thank you! gonna try that. I camoed a stevens stock a couple years ago and it caame out nice, going to have to do it to the AR also.
Old 07-22-2012, 6:27 PM

You guys put wat too much into hunting coyotes, You don't need to camo your gun( I shoot them with my stainless tikka all the time). If you are using binoculars you are usiing movement that is unnessesary. And if you are spending more than 10-15 minutes on stand you are waisting time, our average is 1 coyote every 7 to 10 stands and they typically come in in the first 7 minutes. I'm not saying 30 minutes is wrong but it's a numbers thing and you have a better chance by covering more ground.
Old 07-22-2012, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawbreaker View Post
You guys put wat too much into hunting coyotes, You don't need to camo your gun( I shoot them with my stainless tikka all the time). If you are using binoculars you are usiing movement that is unnessesary. And if you are spending more than 10-15 minutes on stand you are waisting time, our average is 1 coyote every 7 to 10 stands and they typically come in in the first 7 minutes. I'm not saying 30 minutes is wrong but it's a numbers thing and you have a better chance by covering more ground.
I will try this also! Thanks
Old 07-22-2012, 8:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJC View Post
Exactly how it is, and load my rifle as soon as i leave my truck you never know.
I have also squeezed the trigger on an empty chamber i have to admit it's just one last thing not to forget to do.If you think it will never happen to you because your such a great hunter well it will no one is perfect.
To day i was achery hunting for deer while i sat on one hill side i pulled out an open reed call jawbreaker made me and did some calling it's a hard habit to break lol.Once you have called in your first dog your hooked for life it get's in your blood.
Quote:
ProShooter's
Old 07-23-2012, 8:13 AM

Everyone has their own styles for hunting coyotes, so you'll get many different points of view and they all work. Like Jaw Breaker says 90% of the time, my coyotes have come in the first 5 minutes. The other 10% they come within the first 10 minutes. If they want it, they'll come running. I've only spent 30+ minutes on a stand a few times out of stubbornness. Usually I'll make 3 or 4 rounds of calling, then split.

As for the camo- well, I can get away with more movement. If you are really good at staying completely still, maybe you don't really need it. I also like to use bino's to find coyotes way out 1000-2000 yards, then stalk up closer and call them in. It's worked really well for me. I don't use them on stand, unless I've given up.

The main thing is to get out there, try, and have fun. Just don't go to any of my hot spots...hahaha...I've hunted them at least a dozen times this year on public desert, and have never ran into another hunter. It's pretty cool that the desert is that large.
Old 07-25-2012, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truep View Post
Everyone has their own styles for hunting coyotes, so you'll get many different points of view and they all work. Like Jaw Breaker says 90% of the time, my coyotes have come in the first 5 minutes. The other 10% they come within the first 10 minutes. If they want it, they'll come running. I've only spent 30+ minutes on a stand a few times out of stubbornness. Usually I'll make 3 or 4 rounds of calling, then split.

As for the camo- well, I can get away with more movement. If you are really good at staying completely still, maybe you don't really need it. I also like to use bino's to find coyotes way out 1000-2000 yards, then stalk up closer and call them in. It's worked really well for me. I don't use them on stand, unless I've given up.

The main thing is to get out there, try, and have fun. Just don't go to any of my hot spots...hahaha...I've hunted them at least a dozen times this year on public desert, and have never ran into another hunter. It's pretty cool that the desert is that large.

Excellent info thank you! What bino's you use?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:09 PM

Listen to Jawbreaker, the other stuff is pure non-sense.
http://www.aandmanimalcontrol.com/

http://www.sandiegoskunkremoval.com/
http://www.skunkremovallajolla.biz/