Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 01-19-2014, 5:58 PM

Default Front sight post specifications

Leaving post below for information:

I believe this is my first time in this area of the forums. I spend most of my time in Centerfire Rifles SA/GO. Anyhow I figured with as many manufacturers as there are who frequent Calguns, maybe my search for knowledge would be more successful here than on Google.

I'm currently attempting to design a custom front-sight post for my AR15. If it works well, I will consider selling it... either the design, or ready-made products; I unfortunately don't have the funds to patent the idea, and likely won't for a great many years... I digress.

Anyway, in order to move from 3D model to 3D Print (and eventually to having it cast) I need the dimensions and thread specifications of a standard A2 front sight post, so that I can actually test the design. Is there anyone who knows enough about sights, or has experience making them, who can provide all relevant information, or a source where I can get it? I have a document with Armalite's opinion on optimal placement, but that's as far as specs went.

http://www.armalite.com/images/Tech%...Note%20115.pdf

In addition, I found on Windham's sight, some more specifications, but it does not include the thread size.

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/shopexd.asp?id=109

Basically my goal is to be as close to the original specs as possible, and to be fully compatible with all existing a2 style front sights. It should be a drop-in replacement.

Help is appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Found possible thread:
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=268304 (Not forum thread, but that too)
8x36. Please confirm. Also, if you can find sources for the die, that would be great. Currently what I'm looking for.

I still need to know the dimensions for the rest of the post, if anyone has a pair of calipers. As I'm living on the campus of a private university, I cannot bring my gun here to measure and fit it.
"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown (possibly Tim Moen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allhailflintlocks View Post
Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....

Last edited by Exdc; 01-19-2014 at 11:08 PM..
Old 01-19-2014, 10:44 PM

Also... To admins and mods: If this would be better suited, or even appropriate under Centerfire Rifles SA/GO, could you move it there? And if anyone else sees this and even has an idea of someone who I can contact, could they refer me?

Thanks.
"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown (possibly Tim Moen)
Quote:
Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....
Old 01-20-2014, 10:27 AM

About a third of the way down this page they mention #8-36 as the threads on the post.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. Does anyone have a suggestion as to whether I should purchase an adjustable die or a fixed one?
Quote:
Legislator "logic":
Quote:

Last edited by Exdc; 01-20-2014 at 12:55 PM..