Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:47 PM
Calguns Addict

This case may not be the case which the SCOTUS finds most suitable for setting the standard for evaluating 2A cases. In some ways this is a pretty limited case.

From what I've been reading, Gura must have said that there was something significant stirring.

Well, if cert was set to be granted at the time it appears he said something to that effect, then I suspect we'd already know that.

It doesn't seem very likely that SCOTUS had decided to deny cert or I suspect we'd already know that.

So it doesn't look to me like the SCOTUS has either granted or denied the cert and they've not apparently re-listed either.

That is why I wonder about a summary reversal.

The Justices could simply do a reversal based on the fact that Kalifornia has set a technically impossible standard and then work with an other case or two to set the general standard/tone for evaluating and litigating 2A cases.

Anyway, that's my logic and I freely acknowledge that it is not a highly informed suggestion framed by a lawyer. IANAL and I don't have insider information.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:49 PM

soo... what happened, it was redistributed or ?
Old 04-22-2019, 1:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
This case may not be the case which the SCOTUS finds most suitable for setting the standard for evaluating 2A cases. In some ways this is a pretty limited case.

From what I've been reading, Gura must have said that there was something significant stirring.

Well, if cert was set to be granted at the time it appears he said something to that effect, then I suspect we'd already know that.

It doesn't seem very likely that SCOTUS had decided to deny cert or I suspect we'd already know that.

So it doesn't look to me like the SCOTUS has either granted or denied the cert and they've not apparently re-listed either.

That is why I wonder about a summary reversal.

The Justices could simply do a reversal based on the fact that Kalifornia has set a technically impossible standard and then work with an other case or two to set the general standard/tone for evaluating and litigating 2A cases.

Anyway, that's my logic and I freely acknowledge that it is not a highly informed suggestion framed by a lawyer. IANAL and I don't have insider information.
They are probably holding it while NY case plays out. That would make the most logical sense. I don't see a dissent in denial of cert Pena since the NY case was granted.
Old 04-22-2019, 1:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
They are probably holding it while NY case plays out. That would make the most logical sense. I don't see a dissent in denial of cert Pena since the NY case was granted.
Interesting. I didn't know that kind of thing is/was done.

I'm also not sure if that is consistent with the Gura expectations, but I didn't see what he wrote, only some rather circumspect comments about what he wrote.
Old 04-22-2019, 1:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshire View Post
soo... what happened, it was redistributed or ?
We don't know yet. All we are doing is speculating at this point.
Old 04-22-2019, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
Is it possible that SCOTUS could be working on a Summary Reversal?

Understand, I'm not claiming any particular insight and I certainly have no insider information.

But if his case sort of disappeared I'd imagine that Gura might inquire as to what had happened and it is possible that someone in the SCOTUS infrastructure could have told him that the case was not killed but that a different avenue was being taken.

A Summary Reversal might fit into that - or it might not.
What is a Summary Reversal?
Old 04-22-2019, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday_hero View Post
Set aside $$$ for off-roster firearms purchase & a portion of charitable money to CalGunsFoundation. Always wanted a Ruger Charger.
THIS !

I want a Circuit Judge bad.
Old 04-22-2019, 1:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_toaster View Post
What is a Summary Reversal?
SCOTUS doesn't get additional briefings and doesn't hear oral arguments. They simply reverse the ruling of the lower court and typically issue a per curiam opinion.

I believe that effectively there is an explicit or implied grant of certiorari but the typical process of briefings and such is not indulged. They just slap down the lower court.

I don't know all the details about that process and my impression is that the per curiam opinion isn't intended to try to set much in the way of precedent at the SCOTUS level but also doesn't leave intact the precedent the lower court was trying to set.
Old 04-22-2019, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M60A1Rise View Post
THIS !

I want a Circuit Judge bad.
Is that going to be legal or a short barrel shotgun and still banned.
Old 04-22-2019, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
Why hold it? They could just keep re-listing it until the NY case plays out. Something is a-happening behind the scenes. I just don't know what it is.
Old 04-22-2019, 1:42 PM

The connection with NYSRPA and Pena (and Mance?) might be "sure, the state can regulate firearms, but people have the right to buy what they want out of state" and dance around the issue of if the Roster is constitutional. Or maybe they want to just define "common use".
Old 04-22-2019, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncivil Engineer View Post
Is that going to be legal or a short barrel shotgun and still banned.
Circuit is 18.5 so pretty sure it's a carbine , maybe not. I think the issue with it is the heat shroud as well. But my hope this the roster falling will be the straw to break the backs. We should stick to the topic , sorry.
Old 04-22-2019, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryMan92 View Post
The connection with NYSRPA and Pena (and Mance?) might be "sure, the state can regulate firearms, but people have the right to buy what they want out of state" and dance around the issue of if the Roster is constitutional. Or maybe they want to just define "common use".
But you CANNOT buy what you want out of state when it comes to handguns. Federal law does not permit the sale of handguns to nonstate residents. And you cannot buy out of state with a transaction processed by a California FFL, since a California FFL cannot sell you a nonroster handgun. Separately, an out of state FFL cannot sell you a long arm that is not legal to possess in California; the transaction must comply with the laws of the state of residence, which includes the ban on "assault weapons".
Old 04-22-2019, 2:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
Why hold it? They could just keep re-listing it until the NY case plays out. Something is a-happening behind the scenes. I just don't know what it is.
By holding I include re-listing as well.
Old 04-22-2019, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
But you CANNOT buy what you want out of state when it comes to handguns. Federal law does not permit the sale of handguns to nonstate residents. And you cannot buy out of state with a transaction processed by a California FFL, since a California FFL cannot sell you a nonroster handgun. Separately, an out of state FFL cannot sell you a long arm that is not legal to possess in California; the transaction must comply with the laws of the state of residence, which includes the ban on "assault weapons".
Exactly, that is my point which is why I mentioned Mance which deals with that very question (for handguns). If they rule that baring interstate sales of weapons is unconstitutional, then, the roster becomes de facto moot. I am simply just looking at how NYSRPA could relate to Pena.
Old 04-22-2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Exactly, that is my point which is why I mentioned Mance which deals with that very question (for handguns). If they rule that baring interstate sales of weapons is unconstitutional, then, the roster becomes de facto moot. I am simply just looking at how NYSRPA could relate to Pena.
Lets assume that Mance gets a favorable nod from SCOTUS and they say that handguns must be treated the same as rifles with respect to interstate sale.

So what?

The FFL in Arizona still has to comply with all the laws regarding firearm sales in the purchaser's state of residence.

Roster would still apply.
Old 04-22-2019, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdsmith505 View Post
Lets assume that Mance gets a favorable nod from SCOTUS and they say that handguns must be treated the same as rifles with respect to interstate sale.

So what?

The FFL in Arizona still has to comply with all the laws regarding firearm sales in the purchaser's state of residence.

Roster would still apply.
Right, and then you could go after those laws on the precedent, interstate commerce implications, and/or on "common use" grounds.
Old 04-22-2019, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Right, and then you could go after those laws on the precedent, interstate commerce implications, and/or on "common use" grounds.
And 9th will scoff at all that, just like with ammunition.
Old 04-22-2019, 5:22 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

All that just seems overly complicated to me. Why wouldn't they (scotus) stick to the simpler question: is the roster constitutional? One step at a time
Old 04-22-2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
All that just seems overly complicated to me. Why wouldn't they (scotus) stick to the simpler question: is the roster constitutional? One step at a time
Just saying they have a lot of angles to attack, thus them keeping Pena might be one avenue they wish to seek. :P
Old 04-22-2019, 7:22 PM
Veteran Member

tldr please
Old 04-22-2019, 7:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifico23 View Post
tldr please
It's pretty difficult to summarize a case that has taken from 2009 to today to wind its way up to SCOTUS.

Perhaps if you had a specific question?
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-22-2019, 7:58 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Just saying they have a lot of angles to attack, thus them keeping Pena might be one avenue they wish to seek. :P
I agree. There must be many ways they could do this should they choose to.
(Fingers perpetually crossed)
Old 04-23-2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
It's pretty difficult to summarize a case that has taken from 2009 to today to wind its way up to SCOTUS.
Ten years. Just think about that.

There is something seriously wrong with the Federal Judiciary.
Old 04-23-2019, 8:44 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdd View Post
Ten years. Just think about that.

There is something seriously wrong with the Federal Judiciary.
When a case concerns protecting the leftists' most disfavored of Constitutional rights, it will always take an unreasonably long time to trickle through left-leaning courts that have no deadlines.

Enter Jeff Foxworthy: If the phrase, "A right delayed is a right denied," sounds like your modus operandi instead of a cautionary statement, you might be a 9th circuit judge.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I wonder if the fulminations of Harris and Smallwell might move SCOTUS to take a case or two.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:25 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
And how long did legalizing gay marriage take? Weeks? Months?

Original district court complaint filed July 19, 2013. Decided on December 23, 2013.
6th circuit reversal on January 16, 2014.
Petitioned for cert on November 14, 2014. SCOTUS ruling on June 26, 2015.

Start to finish: 1 year, 11 months, 8 days.

Peña is at 9 years, 11 months, 25 days... so far.

NYSRPA v NY is moving lightning-quick, by comparison, at merely 6 years, 26 days so far.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 04-23-2019 at 10:38 AM..
Old 04-23-2019, 11:05 AM

The term "glacial" comes to mind.

tiocfaidh ár lá
Bobby Sands
Old 04-23-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Original district court complaint filed July 19, 2013. Decided on December 23, 2013.
6th circuit reversal on January 16, 2014.
Petitioned for cert on November 14, 2014. SCOTUS ruling on June 26, 2015.

Start to finish: 1 year, 11 months, 8 days.

Peña is at 9 years, 11 months, 25 days... so far.

NYSRPA v NY is moving lightning-quick, by comparison, at merely 6 years, 26 days so far.
1 year, 11 months, 8 days vs. 9 years, 11 months, 25 days and counting is obscene. Nothing like a disfavored right getting slow-walked.
Old 04-23-2019, 1:50 PM
Administrator

Speculation on SCOTUS changes is OT for this thread - there's a SCOTUS thread in National.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

Last edited by Librarian; 04-23-2019 at 5:08 PM..
Old 04-23-2019, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Nope, nope - please stick to Pena and the Roster and developments (if ever they might surface) in the suit.
- Thomas Sowell