Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 02-26-2011, 2:07 PM

Default Suggestions and Advice for Pre-Range Safety Meeting??

I will be hosting a group shoot this weekend and was looking for some advice and suggestions on what topics you may cover or had covered at any saftey meetings yoou have given or heard?

I know the standard rules of firearm saftey... ie: Always treat guns as if their loaded, trigger control, and muzzle direction. Just wanted to see what other Calgunners could add to make this a SAFE and FUN trip as some shooters are experienced and others will be newbies....

Thanks!

"9MM - Because it won't matter when I put two in your chest and one in your head"

"If you want to make sure you hit the target, start shooting and whatever you hit call it the target." =P

Last edited by xXBigJoeXx; 02-26-2011 at 9:20 PM..
Old 02-26-2011, 3:50 PM

When we have new shooters in our group, we always go over the basic four rules, expanded a bit with some examples. One of our members has a red gun, so we can easily demonstrate proper handling. If you have folks who have never handled a firearm before, it would be worthwhile to talk a bit about ones they may be using that day.

====================
That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! -- Homer Simpson

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") Copy and paste this bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 4:05 PM

Dude you really sure you should be "hosting?" reason I ask is because in another thread you said you had just bought your first firearm less that a year ago. is this at a range or middle of nowhere? you need to be assertive and in control of this shoot. and if you want it a safe shoot dont plan on shooting much yourself. since you are hosting it, anything thats goes wrong fall back on you so if this is middle of nowhere dont shoot just make sure everyone is safe and follows your orders. you're in charge because its your butt is a mishap occurs. the brief should cover what you guys are doing in detail, what to do in an emergency and the rules that you have set. team people up so you dont have more than x number of shooting at a time that way you can keep an eye on things. dont let "experienced" shooters get cocky this more than newbies is where mishaps will occur because people are people and complacency KILLS! new people will do what you say without question i.e. if you say take a knee with the muzzle on the deck no mag chamber clear they will whereas an ""experienced" shooter cannot help but touch this or that. If you want I can scan and email you the range safety brief page from the NRA RSO book. And remember complacency KILLS! imagine hearing that everyday for 4 years. And trust me I been training folks for 8years now and been an NRA instructor for almost a year, complacency KILLS! lol sorry man I had to say it one more time. but yeah be safe and make sure everyone else gets home safe because its your butt if they dont.
Old 02-26-2011, 4:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchbunny View Post
When we have new shooters in our group, we always go over the basic four rules, expanded a bit with some examples. One of our members has a red gun, so we can easily demonstrate proper handling. If you have folks who have never handled a firearm before, it would be worthwhile to talk a bit about ones they may be using that day.
Pretty much this.

I took a couple of newbies to the range the other day and beforehand explained how the range rules worked, the four rules of gun safety, and let them handle some of the guns we would be shooting that day so they could get the feel of them.

Something else I did that I think was particularly helpful to the newbies was as I pulled each gun out of the safe, after explaining that you treat each one as if they were loaded, was to eject the round I had in the chamber in front of them so that they knew that guns can easily be loaded without looking like it. I think it was a good visual, and helped them understand the number 1 rule "Always treat guns as if they are loaded, because they might be."

One thing that I forgot to drive home was how each gun had its own ammunition that didn't work in other guns. It turned out okay at the range, but one of them loaded my 1911 magazine with 40S&W ammo, and sent an entire cartridge out of the barrel (luckily not just the bullet.) I probably should have specified that in our little pre-range meeting.
Old 02-26-2011, 5:34 PM
In Memoriam

Give some specifics as to exactly where this will take place and you will get more specific information. Public range? Public range private bay? Public land (BLM/desert)? Rifles only? Pistols only? Both? Are you supplying all the firearms or are people bringing their own?

Match Director Sac Valley Vintage Military Rifle Long Range Match
Old 02-26-2011, 5:35 PM

the more I think about it, what you are doing may be a real bad idea...
Old 02-26-2011, 7:53 PM
Veteran Member

Scares me. That doesn't happen often.
Old 02-26-2011, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchbunny View Post
I was planning on using the unloaded firearms during the demo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbo View Post
Dude you really sure you should be "hosting?" reason I ask is because in another thread you said you had just bought your first firearm less that a year ago. is this at a range or middle of nowhere? you need to be assertive and in control of this shoot. and if you want it a safe shoot dont plan on shooting much yourself. since you are hosting it, anything thats goes wrong fall back on you so if this is middle of nowhere dont shoot just make sure everyone is safe and follows your orders. you're in charge because its your butt is a mishap occurs. the brief should cover what you guys are doing in detail, what to do in an emergency and the rules that you have set. team people up so you dont have more than x number of shooting at a time that way you can keep an eye on things. dont let "experienced" shooters get cocky this more than newbies is where mishaps will occur because people are people and complacency KILLS! new people will do what you say without question i.e. if you say take a knee with the muzzle on the deck no mag chamber clear they will whereas an ""experienced" shooter cannot help but touch this or that. If you want I can scan and email you the range safety brief page from the NRA RSO book. And remember complacency KILLS! imagine hearing that everyday for 4 years. And trust me I been training folks for 8years now and been an NRA instructor for almost a year, complacency KILLS! lol sorry man I had to say it one more time. but yeah be safe and make sure everyone else gets home safe because its your butt if they dont.
Thanks for the concern. I dont take this lightly and have put a lot of thought and pre-planing into this. Saftey is priority #1 which is why I wanted to seek the advice of other Cal Gunners. I think you miss read my other post as I have 15+ years of firearms experience and have shot thousands of rounds. I am definenitly not new to firearms and saftey. Would be awesome if you could email me the range safety brief page from the NRA RSO book!

BTW here is a breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo View Post
Pretty much this.

I took a couple of newbies to the range the other day and beforehand explained how the range rules worked, the four rules of gun safety, and let them handle some of the guns we would be shooting that day so they could get the feel of them.

Something else I did that I think was particularly helpful to the newbies was as I pulled each gun out of the safe, after explaining that you treat each one as if they were loaded, was to eject the round I had in the chamber in front of them so that they knew that guns can easily be loaded without looking like it. I think it was a good visual, and helped them understand the number 1 rule "Always treat guns as if they are loaded, because they might be."

One thing that I forgot to drive home was how each gun had its own ammunition that didn't work in other guns. It turned out okay at the range, but one of them loaded my 1911 magazine with 40S&W ammo, and sent an entire cartridge out of the barrel (luckily not just the bullet.) I probably should have specified that in our little pre-range meeting.
GREAT ADVICE! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pthfndr View Post
Give some specifics as to exactly where this will take place and you will get more specific information. Public range? Public range private bay? Public land (BLM/desert)? Rifles only? Pistols only? Both? Are you supplying all the firearms or are people bringing their own?
It's going to be a group of 10 with 2 experienced shooters which includes myself. I dont plan on doing a ton of shooting but Between me and my buddy we will each have 4 shooters in pairs of two to supervise. This will be at a local public range and will be bringing mixture of handguns 9mm & 45's, a couple AR's and a shotgun. Will prob have some rentals too.

"9MM - Because it won't matter when I put two in your chest and one in your head"

"If you want to make sure you hit the target, start shooting and whatever you hit call it the target." =P

Last edited by xXBigJoeXx; 02-26-2011 at 8:07 PM..
Old 02-26-2011, 9:40 PM

Have a medical briefing even though you will be at a public range. Things can happen outside of this arena and without knowing which range you are using it's hard to know what they would do in the event of an accident. A good trauma kit is never a bad thing to have around with an evac plan to go with it.
Old 02-26-2011, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetaxman View Post
Have a medical briefing even though you will be at a public range. Things can happen outside of this arena and without knowing which range you are using it's hard to know what they would do in the event of an accident. A good trauma kit is never a bad thing to have around with an evac plan to go with it.
that's good gouge
Old 02-27-2011, 7:11 AM
Veteran Member

I think bringing out a group if you haven't brought several friends out already is a mistake, and I think having anything other than a 1:1 ratio of experienced to newbies is a mistake.

That being said, In addition to the stuff above, I've found it's useful to have some dummy rounds and let them load the gun, drop the mag, ask them if it's loaded, rack the slide to eject the "extra" round, etc. etc. It means less time at the range having somebody trying to load the rounds in the wrong way.

I'd also make it clear that any violations of the basic safety rules and we're done for the day - especially if they sweep somebody with the muzzle.
Old 03-01-2011, 4:20 AM

Just wanted to let you know that the event went off without a single problem!! Even got a few new shooters into the sport...

Old 03-01-2011, 7:56 AM

Great
Old 03-01-2011, 7:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Glad it did!