Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 09-01-2017, 3:21 PM

Default Ruger 10/22 Front Site Problems

Took the 10/22 to the range with my 12 y.o. daughter last Saturday and had a blast. Only her second time shooting. Range Officer said she would get a free ice cream if she shot a bulls eye. She hit too many to count and was delighted with her prize. Great Day!

At some point the front blade site got knocked out of its dove tail. It was easy enough to locate and I put it back in. Getting it to stay in was a different matter. It continually kept falling out. It was also difficult to get it seated all the way, which resulting in sa light cant and fewer bulls eyes.

I plan to set it with some blue Loctite so it won't come out again. How to seat it all the way is less clear. I don't want to buy a $60 sight pusher for this and am reluctant to beat on the gun with a hammer, although I do a have a rubber / plastic one that I could use if I weren't such a coward.

I am thinking about trying to push it in with a C clamp or something. Anyone ever try this? Any other ideas?
Old 09-01-2017, 3:37 PM
In Memoriam

The slightest give will make seating the sight nearly impossible. You need to put it in a padded barrel vise & tap it with a brass punch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 09-01-2017, 3:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just upgrade

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod42596.aspx

Or
https://jet.com/product/detail/eec86...1-57d891be7c83
Old 09-01-2017, 4:32 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Comes off left to right, goes on right to left...the base is slightly tapered.

EZ fix for a loose dovetail: put a thin shim under the sight base to raise it up for more pressure against the dovetail wings.
2nd EZ fix: slightly tap the dovetail wings down...careful, a little goes a long way.
3rd EZ fix: dimple the dovetail flat surface with a sharp punch to raise some metal, basically the same idea as the shim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 09-01-2017, 4:41 PM
Veteran Member

The front is usually a total pain to get out when changing to Tech Sights. Since yours is already loose, why not upgrade to the Tech's so she's ready for Appleseed.

http://www.tech-sights.com/

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 09-01-2017, 4:53 PM

At least use red locktite. The bearing formula would be better. Purple I think.
Old 09-01-2017, 6:16 PM
Veteran Member

How about "Nylon Punch".

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...h-prod512.aspx
Old 09-01-2017, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
The front is usually a total pain to get out when changing to Tech Sights. Since yours is already loose, why not upgrade to the Tech's so she's ready for Appleseed.

http://www.tech-sights.com/
My thoughts exactly!
The stock front sights are notoriously difficult to remove. Go to rimfirecentral and you will find 100 stories of grief trying to get them out. Hard to believe one fell out on its own.
The Tech Sights are superior in all respects! And now that your front sight is out they are easy to install. She will shoot far better with these. BTW in addition to a better sight picture, they will give you a longer sight radius as well.
Old 09-01-2017, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie1234 View Post
Thanks Newbie! Ordered me a nylon punch. Gotta love 1 cent shipping, no minimum. Fishslayer, will make sure to clamp it down when I do it.

To all those who counseled upgrading the sights: I hear you, but I think I will keep the 10/22 stock and plan to upgrade my daughter to the AR sooner rather than later. It already has better sights!

As far as the front site normally being hard to remove, I did some web searches and apparently this problem is common on the 50th anniversary edition of the 10/22 with the wood stock, which is exactly the one I have.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the input!
Old 09-03-2017, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandHill View Post
To all those who counseled upgrading the sights: I hear you, but I think I will keep the 10/22 stock and plan to upgrade my daughter to the AR sooner rather than later. It already has better sights!
If you plan to transition her to the AR platform that is great another reason to add Tech Sights to the 10/22 now.
She can learn to use AR style peep sights on the 22 and when she moves to the AR the sight picture moves with her.
In fact that's the same path I took with my wife when she wanted to learn to shoot the AR.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
Comes off left to right, goes on right to left...the base is slightly tapered.

EZ fix for a loose dovetail: put a thin shim under the sight base to raise it up for more pressure against the dovetail wings.
2nd EZ fix: slightly tap the dovetail wings down...careful, a little goes a long way.
3rd EZ fix: dimple the dovetail flat surface with a sharp punch to raise some metal, basically the same idea as the shim.
I've found 3 to work the best. The shim will need to be veeeeeery thin. Tapping on the exposed dovetail can be seen. #3 is hidden and works well. Loctite would be ok if you got it in the exact spot and never want to move it again.