Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 07-09-2012, 9:30 AM

Believe its on the first page of this thread and updated regularly.
Old 07-09-2012, 3:11 PM

I'm sorry, I meant the out of state ones that wont mind shipping a off-roster to a FFL in CA.

I heard it mentioned that jetguns.com is GTG but wanted to know if there are any other retails to look at.
Old 07-09-2012, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebert View Post
I'm sorry, I meant the out of state ones that wont mind shipping a off-roster to a FFL in CA.

I heard it mentioned that jetguns.com is GTG but wanted to know if there are any other retails to look at.
All listed SSE dealers can get you any pistol you want. Another out of state dealer that's good to go is OakHill Enterprises. I've purchase 4 expensive pistols from them as well as a few other buddies of mine. Not one single hitch.
Old 07-09-2012, 6:03 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockwise2000 View Post
I was just looking at this post and it doesn't add-up. The quotes were: A gunsmith buying a gun and modifying and selling it....... etc. My take was the gunsmith was purchasing itself and modifying for profit. Then that would require, I believe, an 07FFL. It didn't say another FFL or an individual dropping off an HG to modify or convert.

If an individual bought the HG and an 01FFL just drop-off parts, then that has a different definition and doesn't have the same definition as a gunsmith making profit by modifying, let say an off-roster HG.
I agree that it doesn't add up, but there are SO MANY places that gun laws defy logic. That still does not relieve an FFL from following the byzantine laws and instead doing what seems logical.

I suspect a lot of this has to do with when title transfers to the buyer and when the work is done. I am not an expert on this, but the assertion that an 01 can receive a gun, and before transferring it to the new owner, modify it so that it is exempt from the roster and transferring it as a single shot as a normal course of business sounds an awful like someone who needs an 07. That is why I asked the question, is there a referenceable memo from BATF on the legality of that process by an 01?
Old 07-09-2012, 6:36 PM
Veteran Member

Try Gunbroker from a seller who doesn't suggest you move to another state.
Old 07-11-2012, 5:53 AM

I'm not sure if this have been covered already. Please forgive me if it has.

I am a member of another gunmake specific forum with members from all over the country. Can I buy a non-roster gun from another member (private party) and have him/her ship it to my local 07FFL to do the SSE?

I know its acceptable to buy from a out of state dealer to ship to my local 07FFL but is it acceptable to buy from a out of state private individual?
Old 07-11-2012, 6:39 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebert View Post
I'm not sure if this have been covered already. Please forgive me if it has.

I am a member of another gunmake specific forum with members from all over the country. Can I buy a non-roster gun from another member (private party) and have him/her ship it to my local 07FFL to do the SSE?

I know its acceptable to buy from a out of state dealer to ship to my local 07FFL but is it acceptable to buy from a out of state private individual?
Yes, perfectly legal. Just make sure your FFL will accept shipments from private parties and confirm what their requirements are.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 07-11-2012, 10:26 AM

I just wanted to clarify something for myself.

If I'm buying a gun from out of state to bring into CA to SSE that has a threaded barrel, is it acceptable to ship the gun disassembled [lower and barreled upper] to my FFL to have them install a mag block and then reassemble? Would that require an 07 or could a normal 01 do it? I can't tell if such an installation counts as a basic conversion or if it counts as building up from a frame.

Naturally I would leave the block in the gun after delivery to prevent it from becoming an AW.
Old 07-13-2012, 9:08 AM

Default ATF coming for SSE GUNS ?

I got this info from another site can anyone expand on this or is it FUD

A couple of weeks ago I had to go to the Los Angeles Field Division to pick up some seized rifles so they could be sold. (That is another story in itself.)

While waiting for everybody and their brother to sign off (3 hours) several senior special agent came by and said hello. I've known them since I taught at a ATF/DOJ dealer meeting years ago. I also run across them when I teach at their citizen academy.

Of course the talk center around the latest dealer scam called Single Shot exemption. ( For those that don't know it's a way to get around the CA approved safety list). They all asked if I had done any, I told each of them while I legally could, I haven't done any.

They came back as a group and notified me that a decision had been made on the process. The marching orders came from back east. (Duh) My reply to them was any gun manufacture would know the process and how to do it properly.

The most senior agent who know guns a lot said okay fine walk use through the process. Judging by the smirk on his face he figured I would screw up. I laid out the proper process.

1) Must be a type 07 FFL, NOT a Type 01 dealer. They agreed.

2) When you convert a Semi-Auto to a Single Shot, you just manufactured a new firearm. 10% Federal Excise Tax is now owed and figured on the sale price. They agreed.

3) I need to imprint my own serial number and my manufacture name in accordance with ATF regulations. The smirk faded fast on this one. LOL.

4) I explained Glocks and any plastic frame was going to be hard to do. The metal strip insert at time on manufacture was to small to add a character too. (one had to draw his weapon to look, LOL)

5) I then explained the most important part. On pickup, the customer must sign the 4473 federal form. The dealer then has to immediately log the gun out of his/her acquisition and disposition book. Then and only then can the single shot conversion kit be removed. Failure to log out and you get your kit back, you just handed them a non approved semi-auto in violation of CA State law. Two guys started laughing and held out their hands, money was placed there.

I asked them what they were going to do about the none marked "new" guns that are illegal. They said a decision had not been made yet. I asked if any type 07 had paid FET on a conversion. The answer was no. I asked if any type 01 dealers were manufacturing guns. They said several.

Folks, you need to be very careful if you go down this path. . . ..
Old 07-13-2012, 10:17 AM

Has already been discussed, check out post #461 on the previous page. Short answer is we don't know...yet.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?icavec

Custom Dan Wesson Valor
Old 07-15-2012, 8:17 PM

Figured I would post this here.

I will no longer be doing single shot conversions. I will be on vacation starting in two weeks and will not be back until November. At which time I will re-evaluate and see what happens. I debated having my assistant do conversions while I was away but have decided not to as it would have been too much work organizing payment and everything else that goes along with doing them.

Ryan
Old 07-16-2012, 7:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rock Arms View Post

I will no longer be doing single shot conversions. I will be on vacation starting in two weeks and will not be back until November. At which time I will re-evaluate and see what happens. I debated having my assistant do conversions while I was away but have decided not to as it would have been too much work organizing payment and everything else that goes along with doing them.

Ryan

We will miss you Ryan, but have fun and RELAX!

Enjoy your break.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:

Ryan
Have fun Ryan ... And drink couple extra shots for me !!!
Old 07-17-2012, 1:26 PM

Have fun, Ryan!

Now the new question... are there any other SSE-friendly FFLs outside of CA who can do conversions before shipping them in?
Old 07-17-2012, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB38 View Post
Have fun, Ryan!

Now the new question... are there any other SSE-friendly FFLs outside of CA who can do conversions before shipping them in?
This would be best IMO. That way you could have it transferred to an 01 without anyone in this state needing to worry.
Old 07-17-2012, 9:45 PM

From reading all the posts i have some final questions which may have been answered but missed sorry... i just need some reassuring before i start the SSE process thanks

re-quoting "Non-Rostered handguns which haven't yet been modified into Roster-exempt status should NOT be displayed for ordinary sale and, if displayed, should be marked as "LEO Only Sales"."

1.))Does that apply to discontinued firearms? or is that talking about a FFL's inventory that's open to the public to see?

2.))For example: I want to SSE pistol a PARA ORDNANCE P13 which has been discontinued and off roster, would i be able to find a FFL on GUNBROKER or any out of state vendors who is willing to ship the firearm to my local 07FFL for the SSE process?

3.))I know the magazine capacity/barrel regulations applies but does it matter if the firearm is USED and if the transaction is done with a PPT or FFL that's legally shipped to my local 07FFL?

4.))IF I Can't SSE a discontinued off roster pistol... Would i need to only find Vendors who are willing to ship NEW Firearms to my 07FFL?

5.))Lastly any suggested vendors with large inventory who are greatly willing to ship to CA?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 9:59 PM
Veteran Member

1. That applies to anything not on the roster that is on display in the store.
2. Maybe, many out of state vendors aren't willing to ship to CA. You can try to convince them, but most are *******s.
3. It doesn't matter if it's used or not. PPT's are exempt from the roster.
4. Why would it matter if a pistol is discontinued or not.
5. It really depends on what kind of gun you're looking for.
Old 07-18-2012, 9:04 PM

SSE Thread states "after a 07-FFL dealer modifies a SSE firearm and DRO process the owner is free to put the original parts back in the firearm" so does hi cap magazines count or they must be kept as rebuild kits???
Old 07-18-2012, 9:21 PM

These are two separate issues and one does not preclude the other. Regardless of what firearm the hi-cap mag goes into, if you have more hi-cap mags now than you did prior to the 2000 ban, you just illegally manufactured a hi-cap mag.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:10 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

Quote:

Ryan
Ryan,

Will/Are you still willing/able to act as an intermediary FFL? Lord knows we need as many of those as we can get.

I hope your vacation goes well and we’ll look for you again in Nov.

-------
Old 07-19-2012, 10:57 PM

I'm looking at getting a Kimber Super Carry Pro for my CCW. I live in the Sacramento area. Anybody have recommendations on a FFL who offers SSE for my area?
Old 07-20-2012, 9:02 AM

Ok I. Have searched and can't find answer to this question. I have a friend with 07ffl. Can I have him order me a lower and provide him a pistol upper. Then have him assemble it, convert it to single shot and then do the paperwork?
Old 07-20-2012, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedude1980 View Post
I'm looking at getting a Kimber Super Carry Pro for my CCW. I live in the Sacramento area. Anybody have recommendations on a FFL who offers SSE for my area?
Try Wild Bill's in Elk Grove.
Old 07-20-2012, 5:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8Guns View Post
Try Wild Bill's in Elk Grove.
Sacramento Black Rifle too
Old 07-20-2012, 7:46 PM

I have actually not been doing that for a little while now. I may resume in the future, but for now I will not be doing them.

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post
Ryan,

Will/Are you still willing/able to act as an intermediary FFL? Lord knows we need as many of those as we can get.

I hope your vacation goes well and we’ll look for you again in Nov.
Old 07-20-2012, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedude1980 View Post
Sacramento Firearms Transfer.

Last edited by 63 tango; 07-20-2012 at 7:53 PM..
Old 07-21-2012, 11:11 PM

Hey well Valkrie Arms is great place do SSE. I just ordered XDM 4.5" .40. Smooth transaction will be picking up on August 1st. I cant wait use it on duty
Old 07-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Mount Pleasant Arms is operational, OP has been updated accordingly.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSF View Post
Hey well Valkrie Arms is great place do SSE. I just ordered XDM 4.5" .40. Smooth transaction will be picking up on August 1st. I cant wait use it on duty
Wait, duty? not exempt?
Old 07-24-2012, 5:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by user name View Post
Wait, duty? not exempt?
They could be a Security Guard, which aren't exempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 07-26-2012, 5:53 PM

I am not exempt im using it for security.
Old 08-15-2012, 8:23 PM

Nelson Tactical in Wisconsin will not ship off roster guns to CA. Here was their reply:

"Since most of these guns are immediately returned to their original state after pick-up we do not ship off-roster guns to California. Thanks for the interest.

Kurt"
Old 08-24-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouye View Post
Nelson Tactical in Wisconsin will not ship off roster guns to CA. Here was their reply:

"Since most of these guns are immediately returned to their original state after pick-up we do not ship off-roster guns to California. Thanks for the interest.

Kurt"
Those guys don't seem to understand that we are allowed to own those guns in their original state, end of story. But they are more than welcome to deny themselves revenue.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:44 PM

Quick question (not sure if already asked?):

The whole SSE can be bypassed or "does not apply" to Familial Transfer of Firearms of guns that are not on The Roster, correct?

My dad lives in Texas and wants to get rid of his HK P30 and Sig Mk25, so he wants to just transfer them to me (I'll pay a fee to the DOJ and fill out paperwork for these two guns), but I won't have to worry about single shot conversion/de-conversion?

Last edited by Gromit; 08-24-2012 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: syntax
Old 08-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post

The whole SSE can be bypassed or "does not apply" to Familial Transfer of Firearms of guns that are not on The Roster, correct?

My dad lives in Texas and wants to get rid of his HK P30 and Sig Mk25, so he wants to just transfer them to me (I'll pay a fee to the DOJ and fill out paperwork for these two guns), but I won't have to worry about single shot conversion/de-conversion?
in....

for clarification of "gift"...

in state, out of state?... PPT not possible, FFL Transfer? (from Family)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
It only has as much power as you give it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned
I know some things about a lot of things - and a lot of things about some things - but I don't know everything about anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
GET OFF MY CACTUS!
-----------------------------
"RIGHT POWER!"
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
-----------------------------
Old 08-25-2012, 2:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Tr...Family_Members

Mags will have to be disassembled.
Old 08-25-2012, 9:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Intrafamilial transfers are exempt from the certified list, which means the firearms would not have to be a single shot, but make sure that the FFL you are dealing with knows how to deal with it. Since the firearms are from out of state, the transfer has to go through a FFL due to Federal law.

The firearms can not be so-called a-salt weapons and importing high capacity magazines is illegal as well.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 08-25-2012, 12:47 PM

Ok, got it. Thanks guys!

(clarification: yes, out of state [father in Texas] familial transfer to California resident [me] )

Last edited by Gromit; 08-25-2012 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: clarificaiton
Old 09-04-2012, 11:14 PM

What if you move out of state into California with an AR pistol? Would it have to be SSE or would you just dros it and live happily ever after? Be
Old 09-05-2012, 1:42 AM

Neither, DC3, you would just need to fill out the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report and send it in with $19.