Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

View Poll Results: What Day of the Week is Best for you to help with the Cleanup?
Friday 13 8.13%
Saturday 102 63.75%
Sunday 45 28.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2011, 1:44 PM

Question Hodge Rd

I don't know how many of y'all shoot at Hodge Rd off the I-15, but I'm sick of the crap folks shoot up and leave behind. I sent this email to the Barstow BLM looking for help with trash containers:

Barstow Contact Form

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BLM California Offices
Thank you for your feedback.
Your contact is important to us. We will respond to your comments/questions as soon as possible.

*Your contact was :
Name: LHC30
Organization:
email: *****
Subject: barstow feedback
Type of Contact: General Question
Comment: I regularly shoot off Hodge Rd West of the I-15 and have gotten sick of the trash people leave behind. I try to take a 33 gal trash can of this trash away everytime I go to shoot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I can organize some volunteers for a day or more of clean up activities, can the BLM provide trash containers (dumpsters) on site for these range clean up days?

Please respond in this thread if you will help if BLM comes through. Let me know what day of the week is best also.

In the meantime, I challenge you to leave the place better than when you arrived!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:15 PM
CGN Contributor

I usually drive further out and away from Barstow but, If there's a Weekend Shoot & Clean with enough people, I and mine would be in, although we are usually just daytrippers.
I have only smaller vehicles but am willing to help fill dumpsters.
Hopefully people have restocked their ammo from the last group shoot and can afford to go out whenever it can be put together...
Old 10-12-2011, 1:15 PM

Thanks MD5150, will keep you and all posted when I hear from BLM.
Old 10-12-2011, 6:29 PM
Veteran Member

I haven't been to hodge road in a long time but it use to be messy in the past. You might find that the BLM might tell you aren't even suppose to be shooting there. That is what they have told in the past after the cell phone tower went up. I was told I needed to shoot out past Barstow. Mark
Old 10-12-2011, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroader View Post
I haven't been to hodge road in a long time but it use to be messy in the past. You might find that the BLM might tell you aren't even suppose to be shooting there. That is what they have told in the past after the cell phone tower went up. I was told I needed to shoot out past Barstow. Mark
That's exactly what I was told by BLM when I called them about it. Either way, I was there on sunday for the first time and I was disgusted. The thought of borrowing my dad's backhoe or bobcat to pile everything together even crossed my mind. I am an avid glamis enthusiast and I absolutely hate it when I see so much as an aluminum can dropped by somebody out there. The same goes for any public land where I go shooting. That type of filthy behavior gives more fuel to those that want to shut down public lands for shooting or off-roading, and rightfully so.

LHC, a clean-up sounds like an excellent idea. Please keep us posted with any feedback from BLM.
Old 10-13-2011, 7:07 AM
Veteran Member

Please keep this updated
Old 10-13-2011, 7:09 AM

This is why I joined a private gun club.....
Old 10-13-2011, 8:06 AM

I am in no thursday or friday though. I have a truck and if it can be of use we can use it.

check out cleandesert.org I think they are an off road org that pu on dez clean ups in the past. might be of some use/knowledge.

Larger garbage companies use to sponser them iirc. BLM had no dumpsters or limited amount.

The last official map of the area that I have seen hodge is still legal to shoot at.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:15 PM

Thanks Duece, will check them out. ALso thinking about suggesting this as an Eagle Scout project, and a SBSO Custody Detail (chaingang)! But will see what BLM has to say...
Old 10-13-2011, 7:39 PM

I live in Barstow but I dont shoot at Hodge. I have a dumpster in front of my house that we can use. keep me posted, If i am off I will join. I was there 2 weeks ago and it is in bad shape.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 10-13-2011, 8:40 PM

I have a cold, so my head is cloudy. I called BLM about this ALMOST a year ago. Here is how it went. I called BLM, said I heard your Officers are saying its not legal to shoot at Hodge. Lady replied, you're correct. I went on to say, I was looking at the map from Fish and Game and it shows its legal. She replied they only go off what Fish and Game says. I told her, your Officers were misinformed then. She said, maybe. I called Fish and Game. They said it was legal to shoot there, but not by the tower as it was private property. I said, then if I shoot 300ft away from tower, I am legal then? He replied, yes. I asked if they could contact the BLM and inform them? He replied "sure". Did he? Who knows. That was my personal experience with Hodge Rd.
Old 10-14-2011, 8:28 AM
CGN Contributor

I joined the wait club...I emailed BLM and Barstow Sheriff's Station over three months ago to get in writing where they recommend and/ or don't recommend shooting locations...as they say... Still Waaaaiting.... I thought I would add the waaa for effect..like it?...Your tax dollars at work..lol
Old 10-14-2011, 8:32 AM

FWIW, I'm still waiting for contact...Might have to make a personal type visit...
Old 10-14-2011, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD5150 View Post
I joined the wait club...I emailed BLM and Barstow Sheriff's Station over three months ago to get in writing where they recommend and/ or don't recommend shooting locations...as they say... Still Waaaaiting.... I thought I would add the waaa for effect..like it?...Your tax dollars at work..lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC30 View Post
FWIW, I'm still waiting for contact...Might have to make a personal type visit...
Call fish & game. BLM goes off what their map says.
Old 10-15-2011, 1:39 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Yep, Fish & Game

http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/Fi...reas_final.pdf

http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/

fyi, Calgunner 5Shot is SBCO Commissioner for Fish & Game
Old 10-15-2011, 1:41 AM

Hodge road is a no go chp will mess up your day
Old 10-15-2011, 1:46 AM

Weather or not its on the map chp has been known to go nuts over people up there. Better off going north another half hour north of old 58
Old 10-15-2011, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR310 View Post
Yep, Fish & Game

http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/Fi...reas_final.pdf

http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/

fyi, Calgunner 5Shot is SBCO Commissioner for Fish & Game
Maybe he will post up and clarify. The last I was told, the "person" who draws the map was going to be notified about this, and a solution was going to be drawn. Again, this was almost a year ago I made the calls.
Old 10-15-2011, 8:34 AM

CHP? Really? Why do they care? Unless your too close to the highway or shooting over it.

I must either go further down the road then most or be real lucky.
Old 10-15-2011, 3:13 PM
Veteran Member

I have run into just about every one other than CHP at Hodge Road
Code inspectors,BLM,Sheriffs,Fish and game but never CHP
Old 10-16-2011, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjkearns View Post
I have run into just about every one other than CHP at Hodge Road
Code inspectors,BLM,Sheriffs,Fish and game but never CHP
I have been going there for over a year now nearly every week and have never had any problems with any law enforcement. Always plenty of shooters and when a Sheriff or ranger etc does come by, they have always been nice and tell us to have a good time.
Old 10-16-2011, 8:48 PM

I've never shot at Hodge but people that leave trash behind anywhere bugs me... I'm down to help clean the place up.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:33 PM

Our shooting map is the law concerning shooting in unincorporated areas of San Bernardino Co., including BLM and Natl Forest lands. Our shooting map shows what is legal in the different areas of the county, but it does not show private property boundaries.
It is my understanding that the area around the radio towers is private property. Sometimes trespassing is enforced, sometimes it is not. And like most remote areas, no trespassing signs don't last long out there. So it's hard to know where the private property lines are. It appears that most of the times there's a crackdown on trespassers, it's after there's been some vandalism to the towers, or other property near them.
We (S.B. Co. F&G Comm) do not have a map that shows private property boundaries in the county, but I'm sure they're available from other sources. The best advice is to get as far away as possible from the towers, and watch for "no trespassing" signs. If you are on private property, and it's not legally posted, you can not be cited, only asked to leave.
Old 10-17-2011, 8:13 AM

My son races off road and they do cleanups when the areas get bad. Most of the clean ups are sponsored through one of the clubs or organizations and he says they get dumpsters donated by trash companies. They have also had towing companies donate trucks and time to remove abandon cars. It's got to be a sponsored cleanup through a non profit club or organization, on a specific date, time and area so the companies can write it off. And, they want to know people are going to show up to do the clean up. I've never shot at Hodges but would be up to help on a cleanup if it gets the crap out of the desert. Any clubs out there who might sponsor a clean up???
Old 10-17-2011, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbush View Post
... Any clubs out there who might sponsor a clean up???
Do you mean like, oh, say, Calguns?
Old 10-17-2011, 4:48 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Count me in!
Old 10-18-2011, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5shot View Post
Our shooting map is the law concerning shooting in unincorporated areas of San Bernardino Co., including BLM and Natl Forest lands. Our shooting map shows what is legal in the different areas of the county, but it does not show private property boundaries.
It is my understanding that the area around the radio towers is private property. Sometimes trespassing is enforced, sometimes it is not. And like most remote areas, no trespassing signs don't last long out there. So it's hard to know where the private property lines are. It appears that most of the times there's a crackdown on trespassers, it's after there's been some vandalism to the towers, or other property near them.
We (S.B. Co. F&G Comm) do not have a map that shows private property boundaries in the county, but I'm sure they're available from other sources. The best advice is to get as far away as possible from the towers, and watch for "no trespassing" signs. If you are on private property, and it's not legally posted, you can not be cited, only asked to leave.
Which is what I was told. Stay away from the tower and your good
Old 10-18-2011, 7:14 AM

Any club from Calguns to Girl Scouts. trash companies are for profit businesses and will often donate services to non profits for a little publicity and a write off. Talking to my son, a club or group sets up a cleanup and then slams multiple forums from other clubs or groups to help get a good turn out. No one going to put a dumpster in the middle of the desert without making sure it's going to get filled quickly so they can get it out of there, without bullet holes. Unfortunately the desert is visited by people who would think that dumpster is a target. These are usually the same people who shoot up everything they brought from home and then leave the crap for others to clean up. My other thought is, will the BLM do like Caltrans and designate a pickup area where everything gets bagged and piled at a specified spot and a dump truck comes and picks it up the next day???
Old 10-18-2011, 8:11 AM

keep us up to date , please.
maybe organize and clean up and shoot. its very far from me.. more like an all day thing.. carpool from la area.
or am i dreaming???
harold
Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 AM

No dreaming Harold, I think this should be an all day event. Cleanup in the am, shoot and then police our areas...All with a big CALGUNS CLEANUP banner visible from the freeway...

Wont happen till Nov sometime - I'm too busy till then...
Old 10-18-2011, 1:05 PM

Been out there a few times. I'll keep my eye on this thread to see what day is decided. Hopefully its on a Sunday so I can make it out there.
Old 10-18-2011, 2:23 PM

Poll added for planning purposes...
Old 10-18-2011, 8:30 PM

We have shot out there a few times. Go down the road a mile or so past where the pavement ends to the small hill and shoot into the hill. Stay away from the cell tower and it seems ok. The few times we have gone, it seems like the crazies shoot at the small mound right past where the pavement ends. Depending on what Saturday, we may be able to make it.
Depending on how much trash is collected, and if it is not refrigerators, washer and dryers, we all may be able to take a bit of it home and dump in our own trashcans.

CAL4WD sponsors the clean-up know as High Desert Roundup

For those that are into offroading, the Toys for Tots Poker Run is November 4th and 5th. It starts off the 247 in Bartow.. Is there a Calguns contingent that is into off roading?

Tony

Last edited by IETonyR; 10-18-2011 at 8:39 PM..
Old 10-19-2011, 6:24 AM

Has anyone been out there lately? What kind of trash is laying around?
Old 10-19-2011, 9:39 AM

I voted for sunday but in all reality either sat. or sunday is gtg for me.

IETONY def into off-road are you planning on going to the toys for tots run?

Seems like every time I'm out theres always others who are either into or curious about shooting. hmmm... maybe a booth setup? It definately shares the demographics.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Im in for Saturday, i think its fair to ask Fish and Game to provide the dumpsters, if we provide the labor. I assume we will be shooting there as well?
Old 10-19-2011, 2:01 PM

i was just out there yesterday, im actually curious where everybody says they see all this trash, i for one didnt notice much in the way of trash. where do people normally shoot at on hodge road.

we go past the tower quite a ways i think we are about a total of like 7-8 miles from the freeway, occasionally we will see someone who is shooting pretty close to the highway by that i mean before the tower.

as far as trash goes where we normally go i just saw some shotgun shells and some steel case on the ground, which i plan to pick some of that up the next time we go out there. never did stop anywhere around the tower out there so i dont know what kinda shape its in, i know motor homes camp out in that area so we didnt want to shoot anywhere near where they setup shop.

by the way whats on the other side of hodge road? saw a couple trucks coming out of the other side. or maybe im on the wrong side lol.
Old 10-20-2011, 5:01 PM

I can say from personal experience that the sheriffs office will ask you to leave if they find you in the area. We had a few people from work out there little over a year ago for some shooting and quad/rhino fun and were stopped by a sheriff's truck blocking the road. He told us that due to vandalism on the cell towers and even the power lines that Edison had issued a "file trespassing order" on anyone on or near the access roads. So as the sheriff put it, yes its BLM but to access it you must cross the access road and its private property so no more access. About 5 years ago this was not an issue.
I have also seen both the sheriff and the CHP waiting on the dirt road about 25 yards back on big weekends to stop or ticket

A clean-up is a great idea, we alwase pulled out a few extra bags of trash when we left but haven't been back since our talk with the sheriff (due to the fact of the threatened $950 fine per vehicle for trespassing)
Old 10-20-2011, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduece View Post
I voted for sunday but in all reality either sat. or sunday is gtg for me.

IETONY def into off-road are you planning on going to the toys for tots run?

Seems like every time I'm out theres always others who are either into or curious about shooting. hmmm... maybe a booth setup? It definately shares the demographics.
Not sure if I will make the run. A majority of off roaders are also gunners. Just need to get them informed or involved...
Old 10-21-2011, 1:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scld1354 View Post
Has anyone been out there lately? What kind of trash is laying around?
I have been out there 2 times in the past couple weeks, there is A LOT of trash, but mostly small stuff, there are a few tires and the last time I was there someone had dumped a mattress. Both times I was at Hodge there were numerous people shooting (even into the hills by the cell tower, but 300' away and not at the tower). Everyone I met out there was nice and pleasant.
Definitely post when the cleanup is, if I am not working I definitely would like to join in. It would be nice if a local trash company would bring out some dumpsters and maybe they can put a big sign by the road for exposure (as well as Calguns!).
I also looked at some DFG maps and it looks like nightime shooting is also allowed, but I don't know if I would chance that.