Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-21-2014, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
We have the honda EU2000 and love it. It's pretty quiet compared to other generators I had. We ordered ours out of state. Save about 100-150 from buying here locally.
Yep, got mine brand new off eBay for around $200 less than my local hardware store. Didn't pay tax either so the savings were even more than that.

I also recommend VP Racing's small engine fuel. This stuff is great. No ethanol so it won't degrade any engine parts and 94 octane to boot! Fuel stabilizer is already in it so you get a shelf life of 5 years for an un-opened can and 2 years open.

Old 04-21-2014, 6:06 PM

Quote:
VP Racing's small engine fuel
Oct 91 is fine, no need to build rocket fuel... it's just hype.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 04-21-2014, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Not sure what tactical privacy fencing is, but will it pass HOA approval?
I'll splain..

Not sure what you have planned for your landscape, perhaps you could install two or three sections of nice dogeared fencing to preclude the neighbors viewing into your patio/house... you have plenty of room. Design a few sections in the back yard with whatever twist fits your back yard design.

When I say tactical, locate the privacy fencing so they can be used as defensive positions.

What your HOA allows... thats your homework.

"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 04-22-2014, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post
I'll splain..

Not sure what you have planned for your landscape, perhaps you could install two or three sections of nice dogeared fencing to preclude the neighbors viewing into your patio/house... you have plenty of room. Design a few sections in the back yard with whatever twist fits your back yard design.

When I say tactical, locate the privacy fencing so they can be used as defensive positions.

What your HOA allows... thats your homework.
Thanks
Old 04-22-2014, 6:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
......When I say tactical, locate the privacy fencing so they can be used as defensive positions......
To make it more "tactical" place planter boxes (18-24" tall) filled with dirt along base of fencing. These provide beautification...which your HOA should like and also provide cover....which will stop bullets if need be.
Old 04-22-2014, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyguy View Post
I've been thinking about the Smarter Tools AP-2000iQ Sinepower Pro sold at Costco. At $620 ($679 after tax), it's $320 less than the Honda EU2000i. It has mostly good reviews online. Apparently, Costco had offered it before at around $550, which would have been a much better deal!

It has a Yamaha MZ80 engine which, according to some, is more durable than the Honda engine. Like the Honda, it can be paralleled. Noise is rated at 51.5dB which is comparable to the Honda. The 12VDC battery charging cable is included.

Any thoughts?
My neighbor got one also for camping. I own a Honda EU2000, so we compared them. Overall they seemed to perform about the same as far as running various items, but the Smarter Tool brand was noticeably louder and seemed to labor a bit harder when heavy draw appliances ( like a hair dryer ) was plugged in. About 3 months later he said his quit working, he returned it to Costco for a full refund and bought a Honda.
Old 04-22-2014, 7:30 PM

I have 1 side that has a block wall (1 block burried, 1 above ground) with a fence on top with holes drilled & replugged. That's my idea of tactcal fencing. I also keep sand bags around to help reinforce the positions if necesary.
Old 04-22-2014, 7:33 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

+x for the Honda

Having owned several various generators over the years, buy once, cry once.

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 04-23-2014, 7:31 AM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Damn these CalGuns threads!

I just plunked down for an EU2000i from Wise...$885 shipped to my door didn't seem to bad for the quality.

I also like that, being a Honda, I'll be able to buy spare/repair parts easily enough and that I can parallel it with another if I want.

----------------------------------------------

ETA: Anyone want a lightly-used HF 3200/4000w generator cheap? I installed wheels on it so it can roll right into your truck! SOLD!!!

Last edited by joefrank64k; 04-24-2014 at 8:50 AM..
Old 04-23-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I just plunked down for an EU2000i from Wise...$885 shipped to my door didn't seem to bad for the quality.
Add it to your Will, you will thank your happy buns for years to come.

Between RV'ing and track time.. these rigs are hard to beat.

Old 04-27-2014, 8:01 PM
Calguns Addict

How did you get the 885 $ price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefrank64k View Post
Damn these CalGuns threads!

I also like that, being a Honda, I'll be able to buy spare/repair parts easily enough and that I can parallel it with another if I want.

----------------------------------------------

ETA: Anyone want a lightly-used HF 3200/4000w generator cheap? I installed wheels on it so it can roll right into your truck! SOLD!!!

Old 04-27-2014, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
How did you get the 885 $ price?
Go to: http://generatorsite.com/

It's run by Wise...you have to add the generator to your cart to see that price. Keep in mind there are 3 models of EU2000i, the one with standard outlets is $885. The one with the 30amp RV plug and the one with the GFCI outlets will be a bit more.

They shipped out the same day I ordered...it's due here on Tuesday.
Old 04-28-2014, 2:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks again, I see some posts about a cut off valve so you can burn off the gas so it doesnt gunk up the carburetor. Is that highly rec? What other mods? Also a extended tube to run off of a 5 gal tank etc?

found some useful data

http://www.hamradio.me/power-supply/...our-meter.html

Last edited by Darklyte27; 04-28-2014 at 4:03 PM..
Old 04-28-2014, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks again, I see some posts about a cut off valve so you can burn off the gas so it doesnt gunk up the carburetor. Is that highly rec? What other mods? Also a extended tube to run off of a 5 gal tank etc?

found some useful data

http://www.hamradio.me/power-supply/...our-meter.html
I found the Honda-branded hourmeter/tach on eBay for $35.99 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271314293142
Old 04-28-2014, 5:03 PM

Quote:
I see some posts about a cut off valve so you can burn off the gas so it doesnt gunk up the carburetor. Is that highly rec?
A longtime owner now swears by it. I'm old enough to know how to synchronize dual carbs and the fuel drain is good for long term storage.

What happens if you need it tonight? Quality gas, stored correctly and regular starts are all you need.

Quote:
Also a extended tube to run off of a 5 gal tank etc?
Ae you talking static or dynamic flow?

Quit over engineering a proven rig, get your happy butt up an refill the tank.

Last edited by sdkevin; 04-28-2014 at 5:09 PM..
Old 04-28-2014, 6:37 PM
Calguns Addict

So run the engine once in a while. How often and how long?
What do you consider Quality gas? Costco? Cheveron? Valero? Shell?

Im thinking a portable 2-5 gal jug.
Old 04-29-2014, 7:44 AM
Calguns Addict

All I run in my EU2000i is "Trufuel" 92 octane, no ethanol. Lowes stocks it.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_383762-442-6...uel&facetInfo=

Expensive? Yep. Worth every penny. Has a several year shelf life.

I've talked to local small engine service guys who swear by it. Small generators have small parts which means they're more acceptable to clogs, blockages, etc.

I use it straight and some guys I know use it 50/50 with the premium gas from Costco. When you need your generator..it's gotta work.

One pull starts & it purrs like a kitten.

Good Luck.

Quote:
So run the engine once in a while. How often and how long?

I run mine once a month for 10 minutes.

What do you consider Quality gas? Costco? Cheveron? Valero? Shell?

Im thinking a portable 2-5 gal jug.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Small generators have small parts which means they're more acceptable to clogs, blockages, etc.
Just like your lawnmower, weed eater, chainsaw, pole pruner, etc.

Go pray to the fuel gods, it's not rocket science.

Would the inability to remove contaminants possibly be a cause... I'm baffled.

Old 04-29-2014, 1:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfin View Post
If you're interested in longevity reports, I have a friend who lives two ridges over from me and is totally off-grid. He uses a Honda EU-6500 which is the same generator that I have. His is older than mine which I purchased in 2008 and he has too many hours on the clock to count since it gets used every day and his is still kicking along trouble free with no more than routine maintenance.

My generator only has 167 hours on the clock (since 2008) as I only pull mine out for extended power outages since I am on-grid.

Another poster, cj1026 mentioned this:

"(my)Air compressor rated at 120v 14a wouldn't stay running. Saw an amp draw of 22.2 to 23.4 before the overload light came on."

This is an example of what myself and others have mentioned about things like well pumps, refrigerators and air-conditioning units needing double the amperage at start up than the amperage listed on the device as its running amperage. For example, on the data plate on the inside of the door my refrigerator lists its amperage draw as 11 amps. At start up, it's going to draw nearly twice that and that goes for the other types of devices I listed in my example.

For this reason, when deciding how big of a generator you need, you have to factor in the extra power demand at start up that a device requires compared to it's power demand after initial start up. One trick I use is to shut off the circuit breaker on my electrical panel for some of the large draw items like my well pump for example. I'll use my generator to power up the house in a power outage but leave the well pump circuit off since having the well kick on and the refrigerator kick on at the same time will overwhelm the generator. Since I have 5000 gallons of water in my storage tank, I don't need to use the generator to pump water out of the ground for a few days but when I do, I'll shut off the fridge and so the well pump can have all the amps it needs to power up.

You will find yourself doing the same sort of things when switching over to portable generator power when it comes to the brig draw items like AC units, well pumps etc. The main concern is accurately account for your power demand needs when sizing a generator for what you want to accomplish. The amperage demand listed on the data plate for a particular device will not accurately reflect the true demand at start up so it's up to you to build in extra capacity in your calculations to account for this when trying to decide how big of a generator you need.
I have a Honda eu6500is with a little over 2000 trouble free hours, routine maintenance only.

A lie about a wrongdoing becomes your future. The truth about a wrongdoing becomes your past. - Unknown
Old 04-29-2014, 2:32 PM
Calguns Addict

So Mayberry has an ad in the QST ham radio mag, it use to be 899$ shipped, now they say call them. I emailed and they gave me this
$899.00, free shipping, free dc cord, free silver cover.

I already ordered the 885.99$ one shipped from generatorsite.com though

I guess I dont really need the cover and cord can be made yourself.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:09 AM

Honda, like Porsche, keeps strict controls on vendors.

Add a 5gal gascan, 5gal of quality fuel, quality cable lock to make sure it stays yours...

Call it $1k and be satisfied.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyworm View Post
what about propane based generators? No need to worry about gas going bad and less maintenance, right?
I have a 4kw propane generator and it uses a standard (20lbs) can of propane roughly every 10 hours at %50 load. I figure if we use it for only the fridge and a few other small things, we should be OK...I think propane is good IF you have the propane already on hand or a very large tank. It is cleaner than gas though. We payed $300 shipped for it from wayfair. Its a Sportsman brand.

Here is one from HD for $369, might be more for CARB in CA

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman...00LP/202222977

Someone told me to get a freezer as they are much lower on wattage and dont fluctuate like fridges. Muss less power consumed I guess

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.

Last edited by blazeaglory; 04-30-2014 at 11:33 AM..
Old 04-30-2014, 2:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Oct 91 is fine, no need to build rocket fuel... it's just hype.
Actually, Regular Unleaded (87 octane) is just fine. These are not high-compression engines. The only reason you would need a higher octane rating is to prevent pre-detonation ("knocking") in high-compression engines. Premium gasoline does not produce more power than Regular, at least not any practical amount that would make a real-world difference to your engine.

People see that performance sports cars require Premium fuel and, in their minds, equate the performance of the car to the octane rating of the fuel. This is a fallacy. The only reason performance engines require Premium fuel is because they operate at higher compression ratios (and it's that higher compression that allows the engines to generate more power for the same amount of displacement).
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 04-30-2014, 8:53 PM

Remind me Spy, how much it costs to rebuild a 951 interference engine when a single valve strikes a piston.

You are talking out your pre-detition butt.

Last edited by sdkevin; 04-30-2014 at 8:55 PM..
Old 04-30-2014, 9:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Remind me Spy, how much it costs to rebuild a 951 interference engine when a single valve strikes a piston.

You are talking out your pre-detition butt.
No need, since Porsche engines were not the topic of this thread. But I will remind you that you're being a horse's arse.

Hmm... I see a pattern here: drives a Porsche, can't control your temper, and insulting to all who offer a contrary point-of-view. My guess is you stand less than 5'-3" tall.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 05-08-2014, 8:22 PM

My Honda powered generator (5000) is capable of supply electricity to two homes easily. It is on wheels and moves easily. I use propane exclusively, but can also use gas. NEVER FORGET TO GROUND YOUR GENERATOR.

My expert pals convinced me the wisdom of having more electrical output capacity than you think you will ever need. Sound advice! TIPS : #1. Have a minimum of two propane supply lines with built in pressure regulators. The hoses should be different lengths for varying needs. #2. Put together a kit of adapters and fittings for your connections. Brass can get damaged over time. #3. Keep an adjustable wrench with this kit. #4. Assume you will be using the generator in the worst of conditions in the dark. And, #5.Do some practice runs with the generator and connect to different equipment.

You will find it is impractical to supply electricity to your entire house nor is it cost effective to do all the retro fitting required. Preserve food, stay warm and secure. That will do it. GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-11-2014, 6:49 AM
Calguns Addict

I keep 2 small generators. One for each side of the house. Roll them out when the power goes out. One keeps fridge and essentials on the right side of the house. 4 stroke honda.

Left side has a 2 stroke for non essentails.
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 05-22-2014, 5:47 AM

Just got my Yamaha eu2000is and love it. Put gas and oil in it and it started on the first pull. Working in the construction industry and being a rv er I have been around a lot of generators. My personal preference is honda or yamaha. These two brands are perfect examples of you get what you pay for. If you plan to use your generator away from home such as camping in a camp ground the honda and yamaha are recognized for being quiet and are more readily allowed. I have personally owned only hondas or yamahas. The reason I bought a yamaha in the 2000w class is that you get a few more features than the honda. I had to spend $50 over the cost of a honda but to me that was fine. This time I researched both brands as if I knew nothing about generators so I could choose what I thought was best for me without any prejudice. I found that I liked the yamaha better. Now for the small advantages and I mean very small. The yamaha is lighter, quieter and all controls are on the same side of the generator. These differences are negligible. More important advantages are fuel guage vs turning off the honda and removing the gas cap and removing the filter to look into the tank. The run time is rated one hour longer. The carburator gas shut off(plenty of utube "how to rebuild a honda carb" videos. Brushless inverter for longer life. 3 year warranty vs hondas 2 year and the included battery charging cables. I prefer to use a battery charger but for free I can keep them in my truck as a back up. Seriously I would be happy with either but I rate yamaha a 10 and honda a 9.5. To all the honda lovers I am not looking for a debate. I am just sharing my thought process for buying the yamaha as I said "the best for me".

Last edited by high desert; 05-22-2014 at 5:58 AM..
Old 05-22-2014, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high desert View Post
Just got my Yamaha eu2000is and love it. Put gas and oil in it and it started on the first pull. Working in the construction industry and being a rv er I have been around a lot of generators. My personal preference is honda or yamaha. These two brands are perfect examples of you get what you pay for. If you plan to use your generator away from home such as camping in a camp ground the honda and yamaha are recognized for being quiet and are more readily allowed. I have personally owned only hondas or yamahas. The reason I bought a yamaha in the 2000w class is that you get a few more features than the honda. I had to spend $50 over the cost of a honda but to me that was fine. This time I researched both brands as if I knew nothing about generators so I could choose what I thought was best for me without any prejudice. I found that I liked the yamaha better. Now for the small advantages and I mean very small. The yamaha is lighter, quieter and all controls are on the same side of the generator. These differences are negligible. More important advantages are fuel guage vs turning off the honda and removing the gas cap and removing the filter to look into the tank. The run time is rated one hour longer. The carburator gas shut off(plenty of utube "how to rebuild a honda carb" videos. Brushless inverter for longer life. 3 year warranty vs hondas 2 year and the included battery charging cables. I prefer to use a battery charger but for free I can keep them in my truck as a back up. Seriously I would be happy with either but I rate yamaha a 10 and honda a 9.5. To all the honda lovers I am not looking for a debate. I am just sharing my thought process for buying the yamaha as I said "the best for me".

Since nowadays everybody is an internet cop, I will join. Well I think both generators are fine and comparable, technically a few things you said are incorrect according to the manufacturers. All of these facts are direct from Yamaha and Honda websites.

I think you mean Yamaha EF2000iS, as I dont see a Yamaha EU2000iS on their website. If that is correct, then:

Yamaha EF2000iS is not quieter at full load, rated at 51.5 to 61dbA, versus the Honda EU2000i 53 to 59dbA.

Yamaha is not lighter, with an extra .6 gal on board, unleaded fuel weighs 6.3lbs per gallon, and both having an identical oil capacity of .42 US qt, the Yamaha weighs 1.58 lbs more than the Honda when both are filled to capacity with fuel and oil. (not that having more fuel is bad, its great).

Warranty on the Honda is not 2 years, it is the same as Yamaha at 3 years.

Small technical details, but as you did not indicate your claims to be strictly subjective in nature, I thought it should be pointed out.
CAL-FFL Member
Firearms Policy Coalition Supporter

Last edited by Reconsnake; 05-22-2014 at 1:57 PM..
Old 05-22-2014, 8:45 AM

I guess I posted the model number wrong. "but as you did not indicate yours claims to be strictly subjective in nature", you went ahead and assumed what generator I was referring to instead of stating that a eu2000is does not exist. It's an ef2000is. So your comparisons reconsnake might be wrong? My comparison to sound levels was not based upon manufactures specs but a independent comparison from a third party who owns both generators and a decible meter. As far as being subjective I stated these difference are small and I mean very small. Ball breakers like you are always a joy when sharing ideas, "I thought it should be pointed out."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5223403.jpg (90.1 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by high desert; 05-22-2014 at 10:38 AM..
Old 05-22-2014, 10:00 AM

... gotta love CA higher edujmication..

Old 05-22-2014, 2:21 PM

Quote:
I guess I posted the model number wrong. "but as you did not indicate yours claims to be strictly subjective in nature", you went ahead and assumed what generator I was referring to instead of stating that a eu2000is does not exist. It's an ef2000is. So your comparisons reconsnake might be wrong? My comparison to sound levels was not based upon manufactures specs but a independent comparison from a third party who owns both generators and a decible meter. As far as being subjective I stated these difference are small and I mean very small. Ball breakers like you are always a joy when sharing ideas, "I thought it should be pointed out."
I am not going to argue with you. I was raised that a man is only as good as his word. If you are going to post in a thread recommending to others what they should or should not purchase, rather than exaggerate or make false claims altogether, I would rather you either state that your remarks reflect zero facts, or they are entirely your subjective opinion; especially when those remarks are strictly contrary to publicly available information that cannot be disputed. A friend of yours who owns both generators and a decibel meter is hardly scientific fact. While I don't disagree with your purchase, I simply pointed out the editorial in your allegations.

I left out that you paid $50 more, which included DC charging cables, but if I was going to be completely forthcoming, I would include that the Honda DC charging cables can be purchased online for $12.
CAL-FFL Member
Firearms Policy Coalition Supporter
Old 05-22-2014, 2:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Not saying you're wrong, but I wanted to throw this out there. We run Hondas and a few Yamaha's in our big circle of camping friends. A friend of mine ran a 2000w Honda and his new Yamaha side by side. I don't remember the exact model other than it was 2000W and just barely quieter than his Honda. The run-time of his Yamaha was about %30 less than his Honda even though the specs said otherwise. They were both runnig equal loads - Lights, televisions, and radios. Not exact science, as we didn't have test equipment with us (it was vacation time), but on other trips, he's noticed the higher fuel consumption as well with the Yamaha. Either way, it wasn't like it was that bad, but noticable enough if you are paying attention. Overall, still a good brand in my book.

WTB used AK MFER.
Old 05-22-2014, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconsnake View Post
I am not going to argue with you. I was raised that a man is only as good as his word. If you are going to post in a thread recommending to others what they should or should not purchase, rather than exaggerate or make false claims altogether, I would rather you either state that your remarks reflect zero facts, or they are entirely your subjective opinion; especially when those remarks are strictly contrary to publicly available information that cannot be disputed. A friend of yours who owns both generators and a decibel meter is hardly scientific fact. While I don't disagree with your purchase, I simply pointed out the editorial in your allegations.

I left out that you paid $50 more, which included DC charging cables, but if I was going to be completely forthcoming, I would include that the Honda DC charging cables can be purchased online for $12.
There you are again putting words into some ones mouth. Did I say a friend of mine did the tests? No, I said an independent source did the comparison. Did I say the cheap cables are worth $50? No, but the fuel guage, brushless inverter, carb fuel shut off and 3 year warranty are. You accuse me of not being a man of my word? I was just trying to contribute to a generator discussion. You might need to read more a talk less. You act as if I am selling generators here. I get it your a know it all. A topper who always has to have the last word. I'll talk your posts with a grain of salt.
Old 06-27-2014, 7:22 PM

Default Some options...

First off, Honda is the King if you can afford it. Although it hurt, I bought an EM6500SX for the home. It's a bit loud (72dBA) but it replaces an old Lowe's Power Back which is deafening by comparison (more than 85 dBA). The open generators of today are so much quieter.

6500 watts (30 minutes) and 5500 watts running takes care of most everything in my house we need, using an interlock so we can pick and choose out of all the circuits.

Since one is not enough, like with guns, you need a back up, even a backup for your backup.

Based on the mega thread on rv.net (something over 900 pages!) I then bought a Champion 3500/4000 watt generator which can also run the house through a NEMA L14-30 twist lock, just at a lower wattage. It was less than $400 with a wheel kit at TSC. Cabela's has the same thing under their name for less, delivered. It is as loud as the Honda with a higher pitch. The Honda growls like a motorcycle.

So obviously I got infected with the generator bug and saw the Harbor Freight $89.99 special 2 stroke. Some folks have 900 hours on them. I got one, it had bad machining at the spark plug interface so I took it back and the second one is a keeper. It will run a 6,000 BTU window unit A/C. It is moderately loud but quieter than the big Honda or Champion, in the 68 dBA range.

Next I got a little Earthquake 700/800 watt IG800W inverter generator for $270.
Great little thing at only 21 pounds, and very quiet at about 59 dBA. Not Honda EU/Yamaha EF quiet, but great for the money and for the light weight for camping, small tools, electric blower, a small fridge for tailgating or a Crock pot.

And lastly I got the 47# Costco Yamaha powered inverter AP2000iQ. I read the review above but took a chance because Costco will take most things back if they fail. No time limit for generators from what I can find.

I'm sorry one of the Calguns users had a bad one, but mine has been a gem through all 20 hours of break-in and I'm going to keep it. It is a Yamaha clone with a smooth running Yamaha engine, and what appears to be licensed technology. Internally it looks like a Yamaha clone in every way. The wiring diagram is very similar (but not exact), down to the part numbers. It runs very quietly, what you'd expect a Yamaha to run, since the engine and muffler are marked Yamaha, although made in China.

At idle it smokes everything else I have at about 52 dBA (23 feet on grass measured with iPad app). Running it will go up to about 59 dBA on a light load and over 60 dBA wth a heavier load.

It has a larger range of sound level noise compared to the Honda EU2000i according to posted specs, but as with suppressors, the differences are small enough that you would be hard pressed to tell if they weren't side by side. With Costco's return policy, it's hard to lose. At $600 plus tax, it's a decent deal.

I was interested in the Westinghouse WH2000iXLT, but they are not widely available and $699 at the one place I could find to order one in Michigan. At this price, it's getting close to the Honda and Yamaha prices, not as good a deal. Westinghouse seems to get good reviews for quality and service are a relatively low price and various models are available at Costco, or Home Depot.

I prefer to get big machines where I can take them back if there's a problem.

Of course, getting a real Yamaha EF series is preferable: there's someone who says he has 18,000 hours on his EF2000is living off the grid, and just bought another one (http://ghost32writer.com/?p=6127) But I'm always looking for good stuff for good prices. I'm happy with it.

I posted some video reviews on youtube of the 2 inverters under m60mgman, and on amazon under Outdoor Cook... you can also see pics I took on arfcom under faldoc in Outdoors>Survival gear for anyone interested in seeing the innerds.