Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 07-03-2017, 2:16 PM

There is also the option of taking one of her female friends along to the gun store. Incredibly, most of us have worked in testosterone-soaked environments for decades and are quite immune! Or maybe just amused...

Seriously, of all my visits to gun stores I can recall maybe one or two where I did not receive good service and I felt it was because I am a woman. Take a friend or spouse if you value their opinion or want moral support ( I prefer to shop alone). You are the buyer and in control. If you feel slighted or put down, take your money and business to another store. Handle the guns safely, don't sweep the clerk, ask questions, and after the first purchase (or two) you will be remembered and greeted with a smile. At least that has been my experience.
Old 07-03-2017, 3:33 PM

When I go into a LGS, I already know what I am going to get - I just ask them to get out the gun I want and start the paperwork. When I'm done, then I play around with a couple that I might be interested in, maybe ask a couple questions, and then go home and think about my next purchase.

Now,when I take my youth group or a friend shooting, I line up my guns by perceived recoil and explain the differences between them. I typically insist that they start with the .22 in order to assess their fundamentals without having to worry about factoring in recoil. A couple months ago I went with my daughter's youth group - we had 3 14-17 year old girls and two boys the same age. On one range we had a .22 rifle and on mine I had my AR-15, a .22, 9mm, 45 ACP, and a 357 mag. They weren't interested in shooting the .22 and insisted in jumping right into the 9mm. I reluctantly agreed. I was pleasantly surprised that there weren't any issues beyond a minor grip or stance correction - I honestly didn't know what to expect with this group. After their first round, I let them choose whatever they wanted to shoot. All of the girls drifted towards the 45 and 357! Not only did they prefer those guns, they out-shot the boys with them (by a huge margin - wasn't even close). The point is that they had exposure to most of the popular caliber choices and were able to make a determination for themselves as to what THEY liked best. Each had their own preference. While they are too young to purchase their own guns right now, they at least have a better idea of what multiple platforms and calibers feel like. My daughter, who at one point, laid claim to my G19 has (as a result of that range trip) now decided that my S&W 686 will be her first gun. She is definitely one that a LGS clerk would be pushing a .380 on - she is tall, but very petite. In public she tends to be very understated, but get a gun in her hand and the girl can shoot. It's very easy to look at someone (male or female) and judge them by size alone. The problem isn't that they get judged by size/and or sex, it's that they (or anybody for that matter) gets judged at all.

If someone walks into a LGS not knowing what they want, they shouldn't be leaving with a gun! I see nothing wrong with a clerk offering suggestions, but the person (male or female) should take those suggestions to the range before making a purchase. I don't think a woman needs a male chaperone to buy a gun. Having said that through, I have offered to go with ANY of my friends to purchase a gun (or anything else for that matter) to offer advice, but it's up to them to choose. Some clerks smell fresh meat and want to take advantage, having someone else there can be beneficial (but not totally necessary if you go in knowing exactly what you want and not wavering from that choice).
Old 07-03-2017, 4:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Smart women have their SO, hubby, boyfriend, whatever, SIT IN THE CAR and listen to the ball game while she buys her gun. Handsome Hubby can come in at the end of the transaction, nod, smile and go buy some ammo and targets.

If she isn't prepared to make the selection and the transaction on her own, I have serious doubts about her ability to actually pull the trigger in a home invasion situation. Just waving the gun around isn't going to intimidate anyone. Well, except maybe me, if the waving around happens at the range...

And while I'm at it, if the Handsome Hubby is treating her like a complete incompetent in public, do we blame the LGS clerk for following HH's lead? Maybe not. (But that begs the question of why an otherwise intelligent woman would stay with someone who treated her that way at all, never mind doing it in public.)

Please don't tell me that the woman in question is too timid-polite-quiet-short-old-whatever to research, rent, select, buy and shoot her own gun. I was able to do it at 65 years old all by myself. Well, me and American Express Gold, held high.
While I agree with this for the majority, as a husband, boyfriend or just a friend, I don't follow sports and would rather go into the shop to make sure that the smart woman I was with wasn't being misguided by some yahoo behind the counter or even another customer. Besides, while she is buying, I would be shopping for myself (and maybe her too).
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 07-03-2017, 4:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
While I agree with this for the majority, as a husband, boyfriend or just a friend, I don't follow sports and would rather go into the shop to make sure that the smart woman I was with wasn't being misguided by some yahoo behind the counter or even another customer. Besides, while she is buying, I would be shopping for myself (and maybe her too).

There's always the weirdoes that float around, want to touch everything, and interfere with other buyers' transactions...

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 07-03-2017, 6:30 PM

FOLKS, THIS THREAD IS IN THE WOMEN'S FORUM. For those of you who routinely pick up random discussions from the "new topics list" and the "OT" fans, we do NOT welcome snarky remarks about women shooters here, so please knock it off. We are not amused... The Women's Forum has RULES. (see sticky at the top of the Forum).

Oh, gee, I just set off another brushfire. One of many... But I AM an American and thus entitled to my opinion. Just like everyone else.

In addition to being an opinionated American, I am a proud Feminist, have been since the 70's. And for those who foolishly use the term as a slur, Merriam Webster says that Feminism is:

"the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes and/or organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/feminist

I seriously question the rationality and logic of people who deny the equality of the genders. I certainly don't. I say the genders are and should be equal. No one is "better than".

And face facts, the Women's Forum is brimming over with women who agree. Just watch.

So don't say "feminist" like it's a dirty word. It's a badge of honor. In fact it's actually a BRAG.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 07-03-2017 at 6:38 PM..
Old 07-04-2017, 6:39 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissiontoMars View Post
I'm sorry, this post is such a pile of feminist bullsh.t. My wife is completely intimidated by gunstores and the whole process, yet I have no doubt that she could handle herself and one of our handguns in a stress situation due to all the practice and range-time I have encouraged/faciliated and the drills we have done.

Not mutually exclusive....

...and you do yourself a disservice from being so blatantly misandrous and sexist towards men.

this attitude is exactly why MR K created this forum: so we the women of calguns don't have to listen to the pile of masculine testosterone driven drivel that permeates so much of the many other calguns forums, especially but not limited to OT.

it is ok to say your wife is intimidated and relate YOUR experience with her.

but to come into this forum and start talking trash about one of own who is an experienced and knowledgeable shooter, who takes 2A rights seriously, who is active in the Sacto area sports, well, my advise to you is to stop with the name calling and get your a.h back to OT.

it is this type of attitude that keeps the many but not all calgunner women from participating in many of the other forums and it is the reason I do not recommend calguns to other women.

geez, wtf is wrong with the men of calguns?! everyone says they want women here but when we speak our mind we are castigated and labeled as some kind of deviant when in fact being a feminist is nothing to be afraid of if you are a real man.

today is July 4 in the year 2017 and by god it is not a bad thing to want equal rights, equal pay for equal work, not be denigrated for being a woman, not being shamed for not making the same decisions as men, etc. we too have US Constitutional rights and we do NOT have to view the world the way you do.

rant over.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 07-04-2017, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissiontoMars View Post
I'm sorry, this post is such a pile of feminist bullsh.t. My wife is completely intimidated by gunstores and the whole process, yet I have no doubt that she could handle herself and one of our handguns in a stress situation due to all the practice and range-time I have encouraged/faciliated and the drills we have done.

Not mutually exclusive....

...and you do yourself a disservice from being so blatantly misandrous and sexist towards men.
So MissiontoMars: what would your wife do if something happened to you? Say you were in a tragic car accident and passed away. How will your wife buy a gun from a LGS if she needed? She will have to get over her intimidation.

Same goes with buying a car or all of those other things that were traditionally left up to the menfolk.

When my wife wanted to replace the car she drove many years ago, I told her to do her own research and buy it herself. She was the one driving it. She started to protest and I said what would you do if I died tomorrow and you needed to get a new car? We had a 8 year old son then.

She did the research and I did go with her to the dealerships. The sales guy would start talking to me and I said she was buying, talk to her.

BTW, she talked the dealership down further that I thought even I could. She found her truck, used and 1 year old. The dealer told her the price was not negotiable. She left her number with him and said when you want to sell it at my price, call me. Two days later the salesperson called and she bought the truck for her price, out the door. She made it clear what she was willing to pay out the door and if the bottom line was even $1 over she would walk again.

She even lined up credit from our Credit union and came with a check in her amount.

My wife decided on a truck of all things. We still have that truck and it has been great. My son will get when he finishes graduate school next year.

I grew up with a very strong mother and grandmother. They did all those things.

When I had a stroke 8 years ago, my wife had to take over everything. She had no problems.

My wife does not like guns and may never shoot. She has gone from being anti to acceptance. In fact recently she mentioned, over another shooting in our city, that she understood why guns are not the problem, people are.

She has also asked about going to the range with me. I tell her you tell me when.

She would never had come around if I said you have to shoot. The .38 snub nosed S&W her dad gave to her soon after we were married is still sitting in the locked box in our closet. Even her dad could not force her to learn to shoot.

You are right, if a guy wrote let the little lady stay in the car while you go shopping, he would have been called out on it. Most of the time though that is a phrase meant to say she cannot handle it it so she has to leave it up to a man.

Bonnie's meaning, as I took it, was it is okay for the husband to tag along but he needs to do something while she is buying her gun. It is not because he cannot handle it, it is to make it clear she is buying the gun for herself and the counter guy does not start to sell to you while ignoring her. She then gets treated like a child. I have seen this happen many times, and not just gun stores.

So OP, check your ego before reading and do not read something into what was written that was not there. Stop with the name calling because it does not help and shows immediately that you are letting your emotions cloud your judgement. It just comes across as a testosterone fueled rant that women have had to deal with their whole lives and they will stop listening to you and write off anything you say with an eye roll and laugh.

Besides, this is the Women's section, and the topic is how do women deal with buying guns other than let your man do it for you.

A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

--Librarian
Old 07-04-2017, 2:24 PM

Thanks for the strong support and defense, folks. Jeremiah's right. I don't need the HH to sit in the car, it's a metaphor. But I do think he should do something else while the purchase is going on. Maybe buying his own gun at a different counter..

And I think MZ is right. Real men like strong women. That's certainly been my experience.

Last edited by BonnieB; 07-04-2017 at 2:33 PM..
Old 07-04-2017, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGunGuns View Post
Gun store clerks, for me, are just to facilitate the sale. Prior to purchase I do my research and I know exactly what I want. For the ladies, it should be the same. Do your research, know what you want and don't listen to them. In my experience they have little knowledge on firearms aside what's in sales brochures.
This.

And ask the Sac LEO who had his bicep blown apart by .380acp if he thinks it's ineffective.
Old 07-04-2017, 4:12 PM

Airborne, I agree. Shot placement trumps caliber every time.
Old 07-04-2017, 4:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Having spent five years behind the counter I can tell you the VAST majority of women who come in do NOT have a great deal of experiences with guns. As a result of that, smaller calibers get recommended. Additionally, I often recommend 9mm. I don't recommend 9mm because they are women, I recommend 9mm because that is what I recommend in most cases. And it the VAST majority of these cases they are personal defense guns for at-home use. Sometimes I do recommend a 380. Additionally, the VAST majority come in with a gung-ho boyfriends or husbands who insists on what they should buy or what they should hold and often steal their time by insisting on letting them hold it. The VAST majority of the time when a women has agreed to buy a gun from me it is done by way of husband/boyfriend telling me that she'll take that one.

So why do women often get handed J frames and pocket pistols? It is actually a really easy answer. Because they ask for them. I would say 98% of the time a newbie female customer's first response to me handing her a gun is that it is heavy. It is really easy to understand. We expect small, light objects to be less powerful, hence less recoil, hence easier to shoot. So they ask for the small ones.

One of my favorite female customer stories in particular was a girl who came in with her Navy fiancée who insisted she do things his way. She had a tough time racking the slide and even tougher time releasing the slide. As soon as he stepped away I had her running every gun in the store easily (slide racking, dumping mags, etc). The point of the story is the husbands and boyfriends are typically the problem. Ironically, as she was running a gun like a pro some guy who couldn't mind his own business strongly recommended that I hand her a J frame. I just started laughing.

Experienced women who come in aren't treated any differently then experienced men. It is simple really, as salesmen we want to make sales, not be instructors. We make more money by going through customers faster, the faster you can ditch the Lookie Lou's and the faster you process paying customers, the more money you make.

Or you can sit back and talk about how evil you local gun store is, because you walked by at the wrong time.
Old 07-04-2017, 5:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3239 View Post
I often recommend 9mm. I don't recommend 9mm because they are women, I recommend 9mm because that is what I recommend in most cases. And it the VAST majority of these cases they are personal defense guns for at-home use.
While I understand and sort of agree with your recommendation of 9mm, I also know that you don't follow your own advice. LOL.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 07-04-2017, 6:30 PM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

My wife and I are lucky to be treated pleasantly by different LGS here in Sacto area. They only recommended different gun/s when asked. Of course, there's always that one "exemption to the rule" but not a big deal.

My wife have tried different guns before buying her first (Sig MK25). I made a mistake of deciding for her so she ended up hating Glock and Snubby (sold both). It's good that I had the sense to move as far away from her when deciding for her first. She shot Sig P226 before but after going to LGS and handled MK25, without hesitation she said, "I want this."

She now owns more P226s and 239s.
Hebrews 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

One of the traditional methods of imposing statism or socialism on a people has been by way of medicine. It’s very easy to disguise a medical program as a humanitarian project. ~ Ronald Reagan
Old 07-04-2017, 11:17 PM

While I'm at it, I want to give a shout-out for The River City Gun Exchange in Sacramento, and Robby Betts at Golden State Tactical in Fair Oaks. I think I've bought every gun I have from one or the other. Both firms are the absolute best and get my repeat business again and again.

I bought my very first gun at River City Gun Exchange. I was a wide-eyed newbie, buying a first handgun, alone, at age 65. RCGE treated me as a trusted, serious customer from the very first word. I've been told that a lot of their staff are disabled or retired LEO's and that was enough to get me into the store. They're wildly busy there all the time, but you have your salesman's undivided attention when you are talking to him. They know me now, know that if I'm there at all, I'm buying. I don't even have to hold up my American Express Gold to get to the front of the line. I just wave to let them know I'm there and when it's my turn, someone yells out "Bonnie !" and I go to the counter.

Robby Betts runs a 'boutique' LGS near Sacramento. He may not love that I call it boutique, but what else do you call a retailer who will only see you one-on-one, by appointment, who is the actual proprietor, who only does specific orders for specific people and treats every customer as if she drove up in a Ferrari? He is the absolute best and I don't know anyone who understands gun law and regulation better. Even attorneys. So I go to Robby without hesitation.

Now, you're wondering why it is, with TWO great LGS's in Sacramento that I'm wound up by the treatment of women in other LGS's. This is not rocket science. Those LGS's that ignored me, asked where my husband was, treated me badly, patronized me, tried to up-sell or down-sell me, or just didn't take me seriously, didn't get my business, my dollars or my recommendations. Once in a while I'm in those LGS's buying targets or gun oil, and I'm watching, really watching how they treat their women customers, just in case my being treated badly was an isolated incident. Generally not.

I'm really beginning to think that how the sales staff treats women is really governed by the owners' ideas and values. Because it seems darned consistent to me.

I encourage other women to find an LGS who treats you right, who treats you like a valued customer, give them your business and make sure your friends know too.

Last edited by BonnieB; 07-04-2017 at 11:30 PM..
Old 07-08-2017, 12:41 AM

Whether or not "HH" is in the store, I feel, is relevant to the person and the situation.

Turners, Bass Pro, Dick's, *insert sporting goods store here*, is a place I would not allow my mother or sister to seek gun advice alone. It's been my experience that they're there solely with the intent of making a sale, matters not what it is or if it's appropriate.

Both of them are strong, independent, and I hold confidence that they could pull the trigger given a situation where needed. That does not, however, mean that they're knowledgeable on firearms and thusly, susceptible to being schmoozed by the guy behind the counter for an upsell or lead astray from something that's appropriate for the intended use. To put it in perspective, if knowledge of firearms were a 7.62x39 round, they'd have the knowledge enough to fill the primer pocket.

My mother owns a 686-6. She knows how it operates, how to safely handle it, how to clean it, what caliber it is (.38 spl or .357), and how to properly store it. Beyond that though, she has very little knowledge of firearms.

My sister owns a Springfield 1911. She bought it more because it was a fashion statement than it was her caliber of choice. While I fundamentally disagreed with this, and made it VERY well known, I made sure that she was capable of producing an acceptable group with it before I allowed her to make the purchase. If you'd like to consider that misogynistic or belittling, so be it. I saw, see, and will continue to see it as instilling basic fundamentals behind her purchase. She knows how to manipulate it, how to produce an acceptable grouping, how to handle it safely, but she is hard-headed when it comes to how it operates or how it's cleaned. She's owned the gun for a little over a year now, and i've had to walk her through the cleaning process every single time.

Myself, Most of my firearms knowledge actually doesn't come from handling firearms. I've been immersed in the culture since I was very young (around the age of five). It wasn't, however, until about three years ago that I owned my first firearm. I've never held an AK, but i'm fairly confident I could keep her operable were one thrown in my hands tomorrow I don't own an AR, but I've taught my cousins how to field strip as well as perform a thorough cleaning on theirs. I had the op-rod on my Savage 6670 break, I figured out how to pull it apart, get the bolt out, and replace it. My firearms knowledge, as I said, comes largely from being immersed in the culture. By no means do I consider myself an expert in any firearm, but I have the knowledge base to figure and resolve many of the problems they present. I might hold the knowledge of the primer and the casing of the aforementioned bullet; I know powder needs to be added and a bullet needs to be seated, but I don't know what type. I also had the knowledge base that told me it's unacceptable to allow someone who's inexperienced to make a purchase of a 1911 without, at the very least, teaching her how to shoot one, and see if she's capable of handling it. The guy behind the counter at Turners was there to make a sale from her regardless of if it was, or was not the "right" thing to do.

Now, if you've been around firearms your entire life, have made purchases before, know your limitations, strengths; weaknesses, and you head into the store knowing what, and why, you want "x" then yes, I have no place to tell you that it is, or is not appropriate.

My sister doesn't ask me for advice on clothes.
My mother doesn't ask me for advice on handbags.
Both, rightfully so. I have very limited knowledge on both subjects.

Being arrogant and/or overbearing, or being someone there to guide a person less knowledgable than yourself on a subject are two very different things.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accounting_mom View Post
There is also the option of taking one of her female friends along to the gun store. Incredibly, most of us have worked in testosterone-soaked environments for decades and are quite immune! Or maybe just amused...

Seriously, of all my visits to gun stores I can recall maybe one or two where I did not receive good service and I felt it was because I am a woman. Take a friend or spouse if you value their opinion or want moral support ( I prefer to shop alone). You are the buyer and in control. If you feel slighted or put down, take your money and business to another store. Handle the guns safely, don't sweep the clerk, ask questions, and after the first purchase (or two) you will be remembered and greeted with a smile. At least that has been my experience.
100% percent agree with this other option, Accounting Mom. My wife has taken our lady friends shooting and gun shopping/browsing at the range on a "girls night" with great results/lots of fun had.

Again, in my opinion, (to address some of the other resonses) I see no reason to make feminism or female empowerment the stick with which other women are beaten with...no reason a woman MUST go alone or MUST be alone for the transaction. If you want to go alone, or have no problem with it - great. Good for you, enjoy the shooting sports. Please understand, though, it's one of several choices....certainly not a hurdle to be cleared or a litmus test as to your future efficacy as a gun owner, as certain posters have alluded to.

Again, I could care less about the "seasoned shooters" looking at this thread. I'm talking to the ladies who are yet to be gun owners who MAY hesitate to exercise their 2a rights by getting themselves a gun because they don't feel comfortable going alone, due to that being held up as a "standard" of some sort.

That'll be my last post on the topic, as I do want to respect the nature of this forum.

Last edited by MissiontoMars; 07-09-2017 at 8:10 AM..
Old 07-12-2017, 7:26 AM

it is not beating with a female empowerment stick to believe that if a woman wants a gun she needs to be a participant in the process. she needs to do some research re the laws and types of guns. it is not a problem to talk to men about it or to even take a male with her for gathering more info.

the problem is that too many men think they know it all and/or insist that their opinion is more important than what the woman who is going to be using the gun thinks about what fits her hand and/or what she wants.

we see it all the time here on calguns.

it has to be her decision. she has to get her certificate. she has to understand the laws. she has to practice with the gun. if she is not a participant in the process she has the real likelihood of being a danger to herself and those around her.

too many men are also threatened by a woman who makes her own decisions or disagree with them. men say they want the woman in their life to be empowered and to be able to protect herself but then they want to make her decisions for her. it is so easy for a guy to think he is being helpful and enabling her to make a decision when his body language, tone of voice and attitude really say "i know best and you should buy what I want you to buy".

there are men who do it right. but too many don't.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 07-12-2017, 5:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
*Snip*

it has to be her decision. she has to get her certificate. she has to understand the laws. she has to practice with the gun. if she is not a participant in the process she has the real likelihood of being a danger to herself and those around her.

*Snip*

This is EXACTLY correct. It is not hard to spot the individual, male or female, that comes walking in fully influenced by someone else to buy a specific weapon. Typically, it's FUD and price that guides these folks.

I vividly remember the gal that was so adamant about buying a Shield 40 per her BIL's recommendation and despite my explanations of firearms/recoil physics, recommendations, and specifically showing her the difference in caliber sizes via snap caps that I gave up and sold it to her. I didn't even want to sell her a Shield because she couldn't manipulate it and barely passed safety check.

Well two weeks later she returns with her BIL and complained to me that the pistol was wayyyy too snappy and blamed me for selling her the wrong gun. I offered her $200 of my own cash (she covers DROS), but she declined.

Another gal came in to PPT her pistol two weeks after she had bought it (not from me). She and her guest at home did not respect the firearm and cardinal rules nearly costing her life. Apparently, an AD had occurred because no one bothered to check the chamber before playing with it nor did they understand that SAO pistols require the safety to be ON while loaded and not firing. Well, now she's afraid of guns and refuses to own another one due to her own stupidity.

We need to educate new owners even if they are embarrassed from the teaching. Embarrassment is an automatic learning experience especially when your life is at potential risk.

I do enjoy giving a confused look when people who allude to being super experienced say "clip" requiring that I ask, "what's a clip?"

"Ohhhhh! The ammo holder thingy? That's a magazine. Also, hold the gun this way. The way you're holding it now is called 'tea-cupping'. It does nothing to support the gun and only communist countries use it."

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 07-19-2017, 5:01 AM

I have purchased two guns in the last six months from Sacramento LGS. In all but one store, I was treated very well, including BPS. I elected to leave husband at home after his initial input wanting me to get a gun we could both use! I, personally, only once felt that the clerks were being condescending and appreciated their knowledge and information as I was narrowing my choice. The store in which I felt belittled, lost my business, on every level.
Old 07-19-2017, 9:35 PM

lol, LadyA, re "elected to leave husband at home after his initial input wanting me to get a gun we could both use".

I think you hit on something, though: perhaps most men don't realize it but they project what they want to shoot as being what the woman/women in his life should/must shoot.

so what did you buy?
Quote:
Old 07-21-2017, 5:06 AM

I bought a Ruger SP101. Husband wanted the GP100 because the grip on the SP was too small for his hands. I love it!!! It fits my hands perfectly and is a solid, well-balanced revolver.
Old 07-21-2017, 7:49 PM

nice choice!
never can go wrong with the sp101.

and once again proving that many men have their own agenda when they purport to say it is "for her".......LOL!
Quote:
Old 07-22-2017, 6:36 PM

Default Clerks?

Whenever I see the word "Clerks" I go here (I know you film fans do too):

“Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final.”

Hunter S. Thompson
The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales From a Strange Time
Old 07-22-2017, 9:34 PM

as a MovieZombie I have to agree with you!
Quote: