Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2011, 10:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Central Coast Shooting Resources

[This thread created at Central Coast CalGunner SuperNova's request]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNova View Post
How about a thread that lists ranges, friendly places to shoot, etc.
A thread for posting information regarding ranges, places to shoot, etc. in the Central Coast Area.
Enjoy.
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:08 AM

SLOSA In SLO County.
Very Nice !
OLL friendly.
http://www.slosa.org/

NRA Patron Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
California Rifle & Pistol Association Member

I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions. –Stephen Covey
كافر
Old 03-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Markleys
Watsonville

Laguna Seca
Monterey
Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 AM

There is a range on top of the 154 on east camino cellio it is not the best but free and you can shoot there... it is quite a mountian drive to.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott26 View Post
There is a range on top of the 154 on east camino cellio it is not the best but free and you can shoot there... it is quite a mountian drive to.
for those folks not familiar w/ the area, that's up above Santa Barbara, correct? ... i grew up in those hills
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Old 03-21-2011, 11:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As most folks already know, the Panoche & Tumey Hills BLM areas allow shooting and are great for camping and such. They are closed to vehicles during fire season from mid-April to mid-October.

Quote:
Fire Restrictions: Hollister Field Office annually implements a fire season vehicle use restriction. Beginning around April 15, the annual grasslands of the Panoche, Tumey, and Ciervo Hills are closed to vehicle use with some authorized exceptions. The vehicle use restriction is usually lifted around the middle of October.

Shooting Restrictions: No shooting allowed within 100 yards of any developed area. Hunters must abide by all California Department of Fish and Game Regulations. Certain types of firearms and ammunition are prohibited on public lands so contact the BLM Law Enforcement Rangers at (831) 630-5000 for specific information.

Vehicle Restrictions: Vehicles must stay on designated routes and respect private property and gates. The Panoche, Tumey, and Ciervo Hills are closed to motorcycles (street legal included) and ATV's.

Camping: No camping within 200 yards of any wildlife watering improvement. There is a 14-day camping limit within any three-month period. Park within 15 feet (roughly one vehicle length) of any roadway when camping or leaving a vehicle unattended. Keep all refuse contained in dumpsters or receptacles provided or pack out your garbage bags when you leave. Remember your shovel for both personal sanitation and fire prevention purposes. There is no dumping of sewer or petroleum products. Dumping of grey water from RV's is allowed as long as you don't contaminate any standing water. Remember to always Tread Lightly.

Other Restrictions: Please refer to the web pages for Clear Creek, the Panoche and Tumey Hills and Fort Ord Public Lands for other restrictions or safety information specific to those areas.
Old 03-21-2011, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
for those folks not familiar w/ the area, that's up above Santa Barbara, correct? ... i grew up in those hills
Ya it is right on top of the San Marcos Pass (Hwy 154)
Old 04-02-2011, 2:54 PM

I usally shoot at a old meth lab that i found while treking. talked to owner of land and said i can shoot as long as i clean up after myself
Old 04-10-2011, 5:49 PM

There is also Williams Hill which is some BLM land out by Fort Hunter Liggett between Lockwood and San Ardo. There is an area up there that I use to for 300 yard shots. There is also potential for longer. It is pretty hot but it is a nice area if your going to be hunting FHL.
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/holli...iams_hill.html
They say that has some hunting.....well it is pretty steep and if your clever there is some better hunting around.
Old 05-26-2011, 6:53 AM

If you are a high power rifle shooter, or would like to try it, Carmel Gun Club may be for you.

http://www.carmelgunclub.com/

We hold our events at the Monterey County Swiss Rifle Club range in Gonzales. 200 and 300 yards with pit targets. We also do Swiss shooting, which is going on right now--300m, all prone. Break out your K31!

Tim
Old 08-01-2011, 3:18 PM

Thanks for the good tips.
Old 08-01-2011, 6:08 PM

Metcalf Gun Range just outside Morgan Hill off 101 take the Bailey ext
Old 08-01-2011, 6:12 PM
Veteran Member

Down at the southern end of the Central cali chapter about 45 min drive on the 166 east will land you in Los Padres National Forest. Go even further down the 166 and you can find BLM land past Cuyama. SLOSA is a VERY good range, but the desert is fun too! Free, and their are squierrels!
Old 08-10-2011, 8:10 PM

Winchester Canyon Gun Club. www.wcgc.org North of Santa Barbara off Highway 154 left on West Camino Cielo. Nice people. Rifle (100 yard and 200 yard). Pistol. Shotgun (trap and skeet). Open to the public Wednesdays (shotgun only) and all three guns Saturday and Sunday. Join the club and get the combination to the locked gate for weekday and after hour access.
Old 08-11-2011, 9:59 AM

Los altos rod and gun club
Old 09-04-2011, 2:48 PM

anyone know anything about the laguna seca shooting foundation how is it worth trying to join? thanks in advance
Old 09-05-2011, 7:50 AM
Veteran Member

http://www.lsssa.org/LSSSA/Welcome.html

XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"
Old 09-07-2011, 1:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRB View Post
If you are a high power rifle shooter, or would like to try it, Carmel Gun Club may be for you.

http://www.carmelgunclub.com/

We hold our events at the Monterey County Swiss Rifle Club range in Gonzales. 200 and 300 yards with pit targets. We also do Swiss shooting, which is going on right now--300m, all prone. Break out your K31!

Tim
There are some very friendly and helpful people in this club. I haven't joined yet, but did observe a couple of their Service Rifle matches at the Swiss Rifle Club in Gonzales, which were smoothly run and looked like a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsonville View Post
anyone know anything about the laguna seca shooting foundation how is it worth trying to join? thanks in advance
LSSSA is another great club, with a competition of one kind or another happening almost every week. They shoot mostly at Laguna Seca, but also have access to a private range in Soledad (not far from the Swiss Rifle Club mentioned above) where they hold IDPA, Steel Challenge, and skeet/trap events.

Nice thing about joining LSSSA is that with your yearly membership fee + 1 work day/year at the range, you get a discount on your range fees, where you pay for the first hour and you can stay and shoot the whole day if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
As most folks already know, the Panoche & Tumey Hills BLM areas allow shooting and are great for camping and such. They are closed to vehicles during fire season from mid-April to mid-October.
Griswold Hills is another BLM shooting spot near Panoche and Tumey:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister/Griswold.html

I don't believe it ever closes during the year. You park in 1 spot and then hike about 100 yards to a couple of different shooting spots. No long range there, you're limited to ~100 yards, maybe 200 if you get creative.

Another thing about Griswold is that the abandoned mining town of New Idria is only a few miles up the road, which makes for a nice side trip.

Last edited by xrMike; 09-07-2011 at 1:14 PM..
Old 09-13-2011, 3:09 PM

The Santa Lucia Sportsmen's Association is a great members only club. However, on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings they have trap and skeet that is open to the public too - cost a bit more then what members would pay but still very reasonable. They also hold turkey shoots a few times a year which is also open to the public and a lot of fun.

The membership is at a great price and you do not pay each time you go to the range - unless you use the skeet/trap equipment on Wed/Sun. The only negative is that the membership dues are for the calendar year, and are not priced retroactively for new members, so don't join in December I guess
Old 11-05-2011, 3:32 PM

I usually shoot at SLOSA, but it was raining yesterday and I decided to go to the new Rangemaster indoor range.

Wow. Definitely a different experience, especially with the guy shooting .44 magnum in the lane next to me! It sounded like .460 Weatherby.
Old 12-05-2011, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballwizard05 View Post
Down at the southern end of the Central cali chapter about 45 min drive on the 166 east will land you in Los Padres National Forest. Go even further down the 166 and you can find BLM land past Cuyama. SLOSA is a VERY good range, but the desert is fun too! Free, and their are squierrels!
Are you able to provide more info on this place?

Im looking for public places to shoot in the SLO area. Ive been looking into Pozo as well. Is the BLM area past HWY 33?
Old 12-23-2011, 7:03 AM

I was just in the new Rangemaster location on Higuera in SLO and I was very impressed. They have a (about) 10 lane range that goes out to 25 yards. A bit pricy for the range fee, but you get what you pay for.
Old 01-20-2012, 7:04 AM

I also shoot at the Glass Pit and just sent in my application for WCGC after a 10 year hiatus. Also wanted to say thanks on the info for SLOSA.
Old 01-20-2012, 7:13 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Where 33 intersects with 166 east of New Cuyama, there is a 600/800/1000 yard range with 4 or 5 pop up targets like the ones at Camp Perry. They meet once a month for a shoot. Went and visited once as a guest of Fjold. Contact Fjold for more info.

Old 01-23-2012, 4:02 PM

was reading the santa cruz sentinel today and noticed this article regarding los altos rod and gun club and was wondering if anyone is going to be attending the hearing?just thought i'd throw it out there .it's a really good range and it sucks there attacking it the fairgrounds now a shooting range what next

http://http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_19801660
Old 01-23-2012, 5:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsonville View Post
was reading the santa cruz sentinel today and noticed this article regarding los altos rod and gun club and was wondering if anyone is going to be attending the hearing?just thought i'd throw it out there .it's a really good range and it sucks there attacking it the fairgrounds now a shooting range what next

http://http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_19801660
fixed linky
Old 02-05-2012, 7:00 AM

Does anyone know where a good place to shoot out near Pozo in the Los Padres National Forest? I'm pretty familiar with all the trails/roads out there from off roading out there. Garcia Ridge is our clubs adopt a trail and they also have started taking care of La Panza campground. I've never really paid attention to where would be a good place to shoot out there and was wondering if any of you had a favorite spot out there.
Old 02-05-2012, 7:59 AM
Veteran Member

For those in SLO County there is the Santa Lucia Sportsmen's Association in Atascadero, CA. Similar to SLOSA except there is no public range. You pay $80-90/year (less any work credits) and you can shoot without additional fees. SLOSA is $50/year but you have to pay $5.00 every time you use the main range

Santa Lucia Sportsmen's Association
Old 02-05-2012, 8:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosurfer View Post
Does anyone know where a good place to shoot out near Pozo in the Los Padres National Forest? I'm pretty familiar with all the trails/roads out there from off roading out there. Garcia Ridge is our clubs adopt a trail and they also have started taking care of La Panza campground. I've never really paid attention to where would be a good place to shoot out there and was wondering if any of you had a favorite spot out there.
Navajo Flats. You can Google various maps...
Old 02-05-2012, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
Navajo Flats. You can Google various maps...
Thanks! I know where that is.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:09 PM

Does anyone know if rock front ranch ohv off of 166 is still open to shooting?

I went out there with a bunch of friends back in february for my first shooting outing and caught the addiction. Ive only been using the indoor ranges in slo and santa maria but would like to plan an outing for a bunch of friends without the pricey indoor range prices.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosurfer View Post
Watch yourself in that area. I've heard some real horror stories about USFS Nazi's in that general area.

My cousin (who shoots) had a friend of his who had all his guns seized by USFS a couple years back, just becuase they declared that he couldn't be target shooting.
Old 06-02-2012, 1:50 PM

Garcia Ridge is off limits for target practice!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:52 AM

Checked in at the ranger station in santa maria to see what was still open to shoot at. They had an entire wall of places closed to target shooting. Rockfront is still open so we went there.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 PM

What areas near Santa Maria were still open? Ime and some friends and another group got told told to leave colson cyn a few weeks back. The ranger said rockfront was the only area open, is that true?
Old 06-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

Rock front is open, there is also another trail head off the right side of 166 (heading east) a few miles past rock front that goes up to the spine of the mountains. Most if it isn't useful, but about 12 miles on that road you come to a clearing on the right side of the road, when you can shoot out to about 150 yards, and its great for clays. I know this isn't very helpful because I can't think of the road, let me google it and see what I find.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member

Ok it is the "new" Sierra Madre road. It was a nice day out there, good enough distance. Just make sure you wear heavy boots, as there are lots of those little foxtail things that make your live uncomfortable!
Old 06-12-2012, 3:36 PM

Went out to rockfront last fridat morning for a couple hours with some friends to break in my HK and an assortment of other small caliber rifles. Didnt see a single other person or group but it was over 100the and hot. Making some more target stands to setup a good size tactical course.
Old 06-12-2012, 3:49 PM
Veteran Member

Did you just do it in that immediate open area right past the ranch?
Old 06-12-2012, 4:16 PM

No drive back a little ways past that open area with the infprmation wall for the forest serbice postings. Most of that area gets filled up with trucls and trailers from dirtbike and ATV huys. We go back to where assphalt starts up the hill there....right before there we shot handguns and shotguns to the left in that little clearing facing the hill the first time. This last time just to the right of where the paved road starts is a big rusted gate with a sign for no behicles. People have sadly shot up the gate and signs but theres some great area just on the otger side there where people shoot clays. We setup a couple 10/22 and pistol ranges and had fun.

With everything getting shutdown it would be a shame to lose it from people dumping trash or being stupid.