Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:14 PM

Raymond,

Thanks so much for taking the time to create this video. Although I don't shoot much of any .223 I am very interested in reloading shotshells and I found your videos very insightful on just how many nuances there are in reloading. It seems to be both a challenging and rewarding hobby.

Speaking of shotshell reloading, I noticed in your first video you showed a glimpse of your Hornady 366. Any chance you might do a similar series on shotshell reloading? As a side note, I too am in the Bay Area and I'm having a heck of a time finding a good place to get #8 shot from without getting raked over the coals on shipping. Where do you purchase your shot from?

Thanks again.

Edit
Just saw your Hornady 366 tutorial links, so disregard that

Last edited by SiegeX; 06-29-2010 at 11:20 PM..
Old 06-30-2010, 6:20 AM
Veteran Member

SiegeX,

try ROTOMETALS, or a few of the gun stores around the Vallejo/Fairfield areas.

I believe there was also a store in Oakland that sold different sized shot...but their name eludes me at the moment.

In Christ: Raymond
Old 06-30-2010, 12:05 PM

I just ordered 5 of the whidden toolheads. They're good people over. If you never posted up these vids Ray I would've never known about them. Thanks again
Old 06-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

John Whidden is a cool doode.

I think the entire toolhead is a touch of overkilll for pistol rounds. But for rifle rounds they are the bomb.

But then again, any time you can provide tighter tolerances in the reloading process (rifle or pistol), you are ahead of the groove.

Glad I was of little help.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

If I may interject...

someone watching my video tutorial suggested that I place an inline timer on the vibratory tumbler. This way you can set it to tumble for a specific amount of time, and it will automatically shut OFF when done. No more "accidently" leaving the tumbler running for hours (or days) at a time, and wasting electricity. (Not to mention extending the life of the media).

Those inline timers can be quite costly, but I just happened to have two regular ole timers laying around my place (for my reptile enclosures and tarantulas), so it worked out great.

The timers I use are dirt cheap, and can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, or almost any hardware store.

It was a fantastic tip I recently acquired.

Thank you, shooters!!

PS: I wonder what it takes to make this thread a "STICKY"? I've already learned quite a few things myself.

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 07-01-2010 at 10:12 AM..
Old 07-01-2010, 11:59 AM

^^^ thats probably cheaper than uniquetek's timer

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1263
Old 07-05-2010, 9:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the heads up on Unique-Tek, I ordered the toolhead clamp kit and the 2x powder hopper with baffle.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Cool, Joe.

When you get it, give us your initial opinion...as well as a follow-up AFTER a few hundered rounds have been rolled.

That extra long powder measure/tube is the bomb for rolling your own rifle rounds, as the powder disappearo's really quick.

The powder baffle is also really nice. You should request that they install it before sending it out to you, just to be on the safe side.

I installed my own powder baffles, but I left little marks on all my powder measures/tubes. (No biggie). I immediately noticed a much more consistent powder throw, even when I intentionally let my powder measure get to almost a quarter full.

The powder will also throw a touch "heavier" when the powder baffle is installed...so a little tweeking of the powder charge will be needed.

Enjoy!

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 07-06-2010 at 12:02 PM..
Old 07-11-2010, 9:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, Raymond did such a good job showing people how to reloading .223, I hope I can add some value. I try to stick to the rule of only upgrading if I can actually make something work better or more reliably. With the stock powder hopper I would get about 225 rounds of .223 produced before I had to top off the hopper. Yes I have the low powder indicator but it still messes with my flow when loading in volume. Usually when I am ready to load I fill 5 primer pickup tubes, set my 5 gal bucket of brass next to me, grab a bulk box of bullets, and start cranking away. This hopper should do 500 rounds. This report is just my intial take on the 2x hopper. My second review will come once Raymond drop off my powder. ( )
First, I was surprised by how big it was and that it was a little flimsy. The plastic is much thinner than the stock hopper. We will have to see after 10 years if that even matters. The instructions say you have to modify the low powder rod if you want it to work properly but with the new hopper and a longer rod it may touch the ceiling. I will report on that once I buy a longer threaded rod.

Last edited by joelogic; 07-11-2010 at 9:57 PM..
Old 07-11-2010, 9:56 PM
Calguns Addict

The stock tube comes with a baffle so I guess it only makes sense to use a baffle with the new hopper. I am not interested in trying without it just to see what happens.

One thing that was exciting was that UniqueTek said that this tube would not discolor like the factory tube. Which is great because I like my press to look pretty. (Said with Sarcasm)
Old 07-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Calguns Addict

I will update this posting once I get some more powder. As an additional note I also picked up the "Bin-Dam". Pretty cool little piece of aluminum. At about 90 rounds the bin would start to overflow and occasionally drop a round on the floor. I set my press to the end of the bench with the akro bin floating in the air to maximize bench space. Those with the bin supported may not care for this thing but I am sure I will find it handy. As a note anyone with tin shears could make one of these but it probably wouldnt look as nice.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member

Cool, Joe.

Glad you did a follow-up.

By the way, with the XL650, you don't really need the Low Powder Sensor. I know folks will say that the powder sensor adds a bit of "weight" to the powder, hence giving it even pressure/flow. But your new "Powder Baffle" will give you a very consistent flow. On top of that, for the low powder warning, the Low Powder Sensor is redundant when used in conjunction with the powder check station.

Just for the heck of it (if you have some time), try adjusting your powder charge and rolling a few rounds with your new 2X powder tube filled-up. Then try emptying the tube to about 1/4 full, and try rolling a few more rounds. See if there is a degredation in the powder consistency with the powder baffle.

And in closing, your 8-pound jug of powder should be in on Monday. I will let you guys know as soon as it arrives.

PS: Just some food for thought: With .223 rounds, the bin can be filled-up nicely with no adverse effects. (.223 rounds are not too heavy). But you DO NOT want to fill up the bin to the top with .45 ACP rounds. Pistol rounds are a lot heavier, and the BIN MOUNT is kinda flimsy. If you bend the BIN MOUNT, you will notice that it is attached to the metal CHUTE that guides the completed rounds into the bin. And if your CHUTE gets bent, then it will rotate under your CASE INSERT SLIDE AND CAM, and will get smashed when you pull/push your lever. (Don't ask me how I know this). If this happens, you are going to have a bear of a time trying to tweek it to work correctly.

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 07-12-2010 at 12:31 AM..
Old 07-15-2010, 4:06 PM
Veteran Member

OK, folks...

I have been communicating with a fellow shooter, and he was curious as to the actual "consistency/tightness" of the boolits COL when the Dillon press modifications have been done.

Below is the actual response I sent him a few minutes ago.

I thought it might be a beneficial "read" for some of yall.

OK,

lets start from the beginning:

1) Not all brass is the same. (Neck thickness, internal dimensions, case/neck hardness, etc...). So if you want consistency, you need to use THE SAME MANUFACTURERS BRASS when comparing COL. And even then, not all manufacturers brass is from the same batch. (I only use LC brass for my match .223 ammo).

2) When I measure my brass, it is "miked" to my chamber. This is done by measuring the boolit length to the OGIVE. (Read up on where this specific point is, and why you measure to there when miking brass). Once I have the boolit length to the ogive (it is fitted to my carbines chamber)...THEN you can measure it's overall length.

3) My boolits are sized to be 25/1000" off the rifling of my barrel. They shot the tightest groups at these lengths, and also retained their relibility in feeding. (Don't want reliability failures during a multi-gun match).

Below are 10 random rounds I just picked-up and measured for you:

2.225"
2.225"
2.225"
2.223"
2.224"
2.225"
2.224"
2.225"
2.225"
2.225"

I wish I had video-taped it for you, so you could see that it was TRUELY random, and I am not fudging any numbers. But as you can see, the COL is very consistent. I attribute the variances in length due to:

1) My sloppyness in pulling through the stroke
2) The slight differences between the LC brass cases themselves
3) How many times the cases have been fired, which will effect the "hardness" of the case mouths/openings.

And that's the rest of the story.

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 07-15-2010 at 4:09 PM..
Old 07-17-2010, 5:35 PM

Great work
Old 07-17-2010, 6:59 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you, Breadfan.

I'm glad it is helping shooters out.

We make our own bread as well. Love the smell of our place afterwards.

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 07-18-2010 at 1:03 AM..
Old 07-27-2010, 5:16 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, folks.

I just sent out my first check to Calguns.net for their percentage of the DVD sales...as promised.

Thanks for supporting this shooter, and thanks for supporting a great forum.

Glad it's helping folks out.

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 07-29-2010 at 6:59 AM..
Old 07-30-2010, 7:04 PM
Veteran Member

OK, shooters,

I just finished rolling 900-rounds of .45 ACP, and am now switching everything over for my .223 practice loads.

So as I was taking a break in between caliber reloads, I remembered the post that Joe made about the "Bin Dam" he purchased from Unique-Tek. (I like cool tools). And in regards to the Bin Dam, I made a comment about it being great for lighter boolits like .223 rounds, but to be very careful with the heavier boolits, like the venerable .45 ACP.

Anyhoo....since the thought came to mind, I decided to share a tip I've been meaning to give yall. (Not that my tips are any good anyways).

So with no further adieu...on with the show...

Look at the picture below. Notice that the chute/bin mount are one solid piece. And as a matter of fact, as some shooters have found out (me included), it is made of not too sturdy metal.

Below is another picture of the chute/bin mount. Notice that when all is good in "Reload Land," that the chute is perfectly verticle. (As noted by the metal rod held in my Vanna White hands).

But yall know how Godzilla-Like we are - and how we looooove to load that boolit bin full of boolits. Well, add a Bin Dam to the ammo bin (or a credit card like moi), and now we can REALLY pack boolits in that boolit bin, right? Well...it's OK for lighter boolits like the .223's. But if we stack that puppy full of .45 ACP rounds, look how heavy it can get. (And it's not even topped-off in this picture).

Below we can see the end result of overloading the boolit bin. If the boolit bin is weighed down too much, the bin mounts will start to bend downward. And since the bin mount is one piece with the boolit chute...well...the boolit chute will also start to lean. (At the same angle as the steel rod I am holding). And as the boolit chute starts to lean downward, it leans directly underneath the whole platform assembly. And when you push the lever bringing the whole platform right on top of the boolit chute...well...alll I can say is, "Catastrophy"! This has happened to a few folks - myself included - and is a hairy bear to bend back in shape to get it working again.

Continued below

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 07-31-2010 at 5:25 PM..
Old 07-30-2010, 7:04 PM
Veteran Member

cont...

So what did I do to cure this problem?

Well, after discarding my Sherlock Holmes hat and pipe, I went to the scrap metal bin and recovered a nice piece of steel. I cut and bent a piece of steel, filed it down to remove all the sharp edges, drilled and counter-sunk two stategically placed screw holes, and finished with a quick coat of black paint.

Wa-La! Below is the end result.

This bin brace is great to give the boolit bin support from below, and will not move a millimeter when the boolit bin is completely full of .45 ACP.

Now I can go stir crazy and fill that puppy up to it's bursting point with nary a worry of bending the chute/bin mount. (Yup...I've tried. Wouldn't you)?!

Anyhoo, below are a few more pictures for you to check it out.

I know this brace is made for my specific set-up, but I'm sure you can use the same concept to design a simple one for yourselves. Maybe even attach it directly to your table/bench top. (Even as simple as a 2x2 piece of wood standing erectly).

Anyhoo...enjoy folks!!

PS: Some of yall may be wondering, "What in Tar-Nations is that tubing with a .223 round in it"?! Well, it is there to prevent the blasted primers from "water sliding" off onto my office floor. The .223 round is there because the tubing is too large. (Yea...I know that's a sad excuse). One of these days I will get off my lazy booty and purchase a small, perfectly fitted, piece of tubing to fit on there. But in the meantime, the .223 boolit looks cool under there.

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 07-30-2010 at 9:25 PM..
Old 07-31-2010, 6:18 AM

I actually ordered two of those black bowls that is used with your Lyman tumbler because of you talking about it so much on your videos....

I think they were about 5 bucks each or so. Any you're right, they are handy.
Old 07-31-2010, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyStorm82 View Post
I actually ordered two of those black bowls that is used with your Lyman tumbler because of you talking about it so much on your videos.... I think they were about 5 bucks each or so. Any you're right, they are handy.
They are great, aren't they?

I'm using mine to hold my finished .223 rounds as we speak...err...write.

I didn't know you could order them individually. Where did you order them from?

Old 07-31-2010, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondMillbrae View Post
They are great, aren't they?

I'm using mine to hold my finished .223 rounds as we speak...err...write.

I didn't know you could order them individually. Where did you order them from?

You can get them here.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page147.html
Old 07-31-2010, 5:30 PM
Veteran Member

Cool...good to know.

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2010, 3:32 PM

First off I like to thank you Ray (yeah I know it was awhile ago) for going through the whole process from scratch to finish reloading some awesome .223 rounds . I've known you since we were kids , you've always been a thorough and a cool dude to boot. As far as the lube process goes not a problem here , no hiccups whatso ever,fed flawlessly,zero signs on anything abnormal on the spent cases,pretty accurate(1/2 to 3/4 @100yds.) Yeah I know not my normal 1/4 moa or whole in whole but what the heck it isn't my custom .308. See you at the range Brada.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:18 AM

Thanks Ray this has helped me out. I bought some 223 and 308 dies not knowing what im getting my self into. Had no clue about military crimps. I will have to order that dillion case trimmer as well .
Old 09-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member

Glad to help a fellow Calgunner out!

I'm glad you were edified, WTSGDYBBR!

Take your time, load safely, and always shoot with a purpose!

Old 09-12-2010, 7:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Raymond,

Just watched your intro. I especially like the part about being good examples to other people and to "tone down the attitude a little bit." You are so right. Good ambassadorship is the only way to get more people to our side of the 2A issue, so thanks for making mention of that.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 09-12-2010, 1:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
Raymond, Just watched your intro. I especially like the part about being good examples to other people and to "tone down the attitude a little bit." You are so right. Good ambassadorship is the only way to get more people to our side of the 2A issue, so thanks for making mention of that.
Thanks.

There wer a lot of things I wanted to add/say, but I knew I had to keep everything down to it's irreducible minimum. As it is, some folks said I spoke too much, and others said it was great as only pertinent information was being put out. (I guess you can't please all of the folks, all of the time).

It was my first video ever, and being spontaneous, it was a new experience for me.

Glad to hear all the positive feedback, as that was it's purpose. And glad to have sold a handfull, as it helped with reloading supplies, and supported this forum. (Yes...the 40% was sent to Calguns)!!

Thanks again!

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 11-17-2010 at 5:36 AM..
Old 09-14-2010, 9:59 PM

Hi Raymond - I just started loading .223. Loaded 1,000 once fired (by me and wife) with a single stage, and happy to report that my handloads are notably more accurate then the original manufactured rounds. I too used H335. I learned a ton from your excellent video. Hard to believe this was your first one as well as unscripted. Very good job!!
Now I need to take a break from buying ammo eaters, and spend some money on ammo makers. You have provided plenty of guidance for my next adventure :-) I realize that all brass isn't dcreated equal. Any rule of thumb on how many times cases can be loaded barring splits, oversized primer pockets...like that. Are there any headstamps to beware of, like don't bother? Please PM me with where to send a check!!
Old 09-15-2010, 6:19 AM
Veteran Member

How many times can a .223 case be reloaded?

Well...that depends on the case, your load, and how many times it has already been fired. (Like if you pick up unknown range brass).

Just keep an eye out for bulging, splits, and loose primer pockets.

If anything catches your attention, ALWAYS go by your initial gut instinct, and file it in the round cabinet under your desk. (The waste paper basket).

As for "good brass"...well...now you are getting into a whole different level. Now we are talking about annealing the brass for longer life. (But that's a different story for a different time).

Glad you enjoyed the videos, brother!!

Load safely, and double check everything.

Any questions, just PM me. I'll try to help the best I can.

I don't claim to be a reloading guru...but if I can help, I will.

PS: I'm glad to see this thread resurfacing. It ended-up having a lot of good tips for reloading.
Old 09-15-2010, 9:50 PM

Thanks again Raymond!! Where do I send the check??
Old 09-29-2010, 3:56 AM

Raymond,

Thanks for the video! I've only recently started reloading pistol, I placed my initial equipment order the day the Governator signed AB962. Trying to get my mind wrapped around the different parts and processes for rifle reloading while deployed was getting frustrating to say the least. The DVD took so long to get here that I'd actually forgotten about it!

I've already picked up a few tips and ideas from the vids like the Shell Sorter, and it was great to see the Dillon trimmer and swager in action instead of just static pictures. Also, nice to see how smooth and fast things will run once I get back and start reloading again.

Your tips on ergonomics are spot on, I made that mistake during my 1st ever 100 round batch; I sat off to the side a bit and ended up with poor primer seating. Now I also align myself with the press like you mentioned, and use my body, and I haven’t had a problem since.

For anybody curious about reloading mass quantities of rifle bullets, this video will take you through the whole process step by step with good explanations. Even if your press is red, or your dies are green, you will still learn the process and have a clear understanding of what you need to do.

I can’t wait to get home and get all my new reloading toys set up!

Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Earl Jones
The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.
Old 09-29-2010, 4:20 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Fyathyrio!

As a former US Army Ranger, to another military man - keep you body in shape, keep up with the latest training, and remember that there is a chance that you may give-up your life for your country sometime.

There is NO shame in that!!!. (Civilians can speak of it, but can never fully understand this).

You are more than welcome, shooter.

And thank you for serving this great nation.

Old 09-29-2010, 7:35 AM
Veteran Member

Just saw this, very well done. What brand/size of walnut media do you use? I always get crap in the primer hole with my pet store media and am having to punch it out with a pin. An extra step I want to eliminate.

-
Old 09-29-2010, 1:05 PM

Hi Raymond - regarding the Lyman M expander for 223. Is this the one?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=623561
Old 09-29-2010, 2:22 PM
Veteran Member

Wayno,

here is the one I use. And remember, adjust it so only the very edge of the case mouth is touched...and not the neck.

And Rick,

I use the walnut media my buddy Louis purcahses from the feed store in Vacaville. When questioned, his response is, "I buy the finest stuff they have".

He purchases a 50-pound bag, and we "divy it up" 3 ways.

In Christ: Ryamond
Old 10-06-2010, 4:28 AM
Veteran Member

Just sent another check for sold DVD's to Calguns.net.

Thanks, shooters.

Old 11-16-2010, 4:08 PM

Wow Raymond...Thanks for taking the time to put all htis together...been talking about setting up for reloading with some shooting firends...this will help out a ton
Old 11-16-2010, 7:07 PM
Veteran Member

You are welcome, Jeff.

By the way, tomorrow I am sending-out another check to Calguns for DVD's sold. (40% of the procedes go to this website).

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 11-17-2010 at 5:37 AM..
Old 11-16-2010, 8:10 PM

Great video's Ray, I am watching them for the second time as I am getting ready to load .223. When you use the Dillon trimmer do you need to debur the cases or does the trimmer do that for you?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Link for the DVD?