Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:26 AM

Default No gun and can't get my money back!

I ordered a ruger SR22 back in December from my local gun shop. I still have not got the gun and they say they will only give me a store credit. I have 3 other friends that are going through the same thing with this shop with 3 different guns. I am concerned because a new bigger better shop has opened in my area and I fear this place will close and I will be out money. I would ask if they can get something else however; my 3 other friends have tried this route and have gotten nothing. They have nothing in stock that I would want and am affraid to order anything because that didn't work the last time. Any suggestions?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1m View Post
I ordered a ruger SR22 back in December from my local gun shop. I still have not got the gun and they say they will only give me a store credit. I have 3 other friends that are going through the same thing with this shop with 3 different guns. I am concerned because a new bigger better shop has opened in my area and I fear this place will close and I will be out money. I would ask if they can get something else however; my 3 other friends have tried this route and have gotten nothing. They have nothing in stock that I would want and am affraid to order anything because that didn't work the last time. Any suggestions?
And this is why I don't take money on stuff I can't get.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Banned

How did you pay? If you used a credit card, dispute the charge and let them deal with the shop.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:36 AM

Paid cash!

Last edited by p1m; 05-22-2013 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: people can't take a joke and stay on topic
Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 AM

Get something that you can easily resell or trade. Hopefully they will have
something that's desirable to somebody at a good price. Ask for a discount.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Paid cash! So the wife won't know!
Don't worry. It'll come out in the divorce settlement.

Seriously though, not a good way to honor a marriage.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:50 AM

Does the bill of sale indicate "no refunds, store credit only"?

Paying cash was a good thing years ago when people were honorable and credit cards were few and far between. Nowadays, I personally think it's foolish to make a significant purchase with cash, you have no recourse other than a small claims action if you are wronged.
You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You might not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home, the first two things you're going to do are, 1) Call someone with a gun, 2) Pray they get there in time.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Paid cash! So the wife won't know!
You deserve to lose it.

M76
Old 05-22-2013, 11:55 AM

All it says is non refundable deposit. I paid in full. I would understand if for some reason I was not legit and the back ground came back bad or shady or I changed my mind a few weeks after I had them order it.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:57 AM

Sorry about your situation OP. What store is it? So we can avoid it.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Does the receipt say anything about no refunds? Not that would hold water, but it might help them. You could try suing them in small claims court, although even if you win, it does not mean that you will get your money.

Next time, pay with a credit card and be honest with your wife.

They have to deliver what you paid for, so it might be a bit of a fight, but they have not meet their end of the contract and you are not expected to wait forever.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 PM

DANG IT WAS A JOKE ABOUT THE WIFE NOT KNOWING! I don't think naming the shop will help me in anyway. There is nothing on the invoice in small or big writing about refunds.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 PM

i would just ask for a discount for something they have in stock and go from there. its better than being out the money. or you could just wait and see if they eventually will get the item in stock and still be in business.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:15 PM

Name the store.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:16 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
DANG IT WAS A JOKE ABOUT THE WIFE NOT KNOWING! I don't think naming the shop will help me in anyway. There is nothing on the invoice in small or big writing about refunds.
It might not help you, but it might help other CalGunners avoid the shop. But then again, most people would not pay in cash for a gun thats not on hand.

I think the best advice given to you so far is to choose a different gun from the same shop. Either shoot it and enjoy it, or sell it for something you would rather have. Look into the Ruger Mark III or 22/45, both are great proven shooters.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
All it says is non refundable deposit. I paid in full. I would understand if for some reason I was not legit and the back ground came back bad or shady or I changed my mind a few weeks after I had them order it.
seems pretty clear.

you state "All it says is non refundable deposit" .. like it's a minor detail.

that's the most important detail. gotta know what you're getting yourself into.

but a good store would give a refund if they couldn't deliver in this length of timem

Last edited by ElDub1950; 05-22-2013 at 12:24 PM..
Old 05-22-2013, 12:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Our the shop.

If I pay cash, it's for something on the shelf that will be mine in ten days.

Of course, paying buy CC to avoid any hassels is easy, but also plays into government intrusion, and movement toward a non cash society.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 PM

Even though you paid in full for the gun, I'm guessing that they look at it as a deposit commitment to buy the XYZ gun, and when the gun comes in, they'll honor that sale. The question is, when? Until then, they can say you put a paid in full deposit on it and keep your money unless you use it to buy something else in the store.
You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You might not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home, the first two things you're going to do are, 1) Call someone with a gun, 2) Pray they get there in time.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:42 PM

Even if placed on a credit card, isn't there a time limit for disputes?

I am assuming you probably dropped around $400 on the SR22, so take the store credit and quickly apply it towards another somewhat desirable to masses gun that's in inventory that same day. You might have to add or minus a few extra bucks, but if you're concern is that they might close shop in the future this might be your best option.

And by the way, I'm not sure who/where your LGS is located, but I've seen quite a few SR22s at SF Bay area LGSs - just jailed one a few days ago.

Good Luck to You.

"Saying we don't need guns because we have cops is like saying we don't need fire extinguishers because we have firefighters"

"My lemonade stand was robbed once by two thieves. I shot them both. No more robberies."

"Went to the Giants game yesterday. For opsec reasons I said I was going next week. Can never be to careful."

Last edited by fishhoppa; 05-22-2013 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: added
Old 05-22-2013, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhoppa View Post
Even if placed on a credit card, isn't there a time limit for disputes?

I am assuming you probably dropped around $400 on the SR22, so take the store credit and quickly apply it towards another somewhat desirable to masses gun that's in inventory that same day. You might have to add or minus a few extra bucks, but if you're concern is that they might close shop in the future this might be your best option.

And by the way, I'm not sure who/where your LGS is located, but I've seen quite a few SR22s at SF Bay area LGSs - just jailed one a few days ago.

Good Luck to You.
Time limit on most credit card disputes is 90 days, so he would still be able to dispute it.

Really all you can do now is pick up other stuff and re-sell it.
Old 05-22-2013, 1:31 PM
OT Banned
CGN Contributor

You paid for a specific firearm. If they can't deliver that firearm in a reasonable amount of time they owe you your money back.

They can't refuse to refund your money because they failed to meet the terms of the contract. Unless the contract states so. Does your bill of sale state the actual firearm on it?

You might have an avenue with the DOJ and definitely have one with Small Claims. Depends on how much you want to pursue it. You might decide to take whatever they offer just to be done with it.
Old 05-22-2013, 1:33 PM

Thanks for the advise!
Old 05-22-2013, 1:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Tell them you want a refund less the deposit, if they refuse tell them they will be hearing from your attorney.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 05-22-2013, 1:53 PM
OT Banned
CGN Contributor

Deposits are for you deciding you don't want the firearm anymore. Not because they can't deliver it. Ask for ALL of your money back.

Now of course if your LGS comes up with evidence you agreed that they would only try to get that specific firearm you are screwed. Did you agree to that or did you "pay in full" for a specific firearm, the Ruger SR22?
Old 05-22-2013, 2:02 PM

We need to hear the story from your LGS now.
Old 05-22-2013, 2:05 PM

States on invoice that I bought a SR22. The only other writing on the invoice states that All Fire arm sales are final. Any firearm left past 30 days will be subject to a $5 per day storage fee. They did hand write in orders subject to delay. I asked what they consider a delay and they had no answer
Old 05-22-2013, 2:06 PM

non refundable deposit means you cannot back out of the deal ...

but THEY did not deliver the goods

demand your money back and don't take no for an answer

they cannot compel you to buy something you do not want, nor keep your money
Old 05-22-2013, 2:12 PM

I'm really upset that another gun shop in the area had a SR22 in the display case for sale. I told the shop I bought my gun with that I wanted my money to go buy that one and thats when I found out they would only give store credit. They then said they would have the gun in a couple weeks and thats turned into 2 months.
Old 05-22-2013, 2:21 PM
Banned

Take them to small claims court and post some vids on Youtube about them. Walk in front of the store with a sign letting the potential customers know they stole your money.
The will refund to get rid of the headache and loss of business.
Old 05-22-2013, 2:22 PM

dont listen to anyone who recommends small claims court
Old 05-22-2013, 2:27 PM

I know I can't even buy this gun through Ruger says allocated and then gives you a thing to type in your zip code for a local dealer and the shop that I bought mine through shows up. I have not been the squeaky wheel and have only been in contact with them 3 times in 5 months. I was hoping somebody else is going through the same thing to give me a peace of mind and just wait it out
Old 05-22-2013, 2:28 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The LGS CANNOT keep your deposit, as they are not out anything.

The "non-refundable" deposit is to help off-set the cost to the LGS if they get stuck with a gun they have a hard time selling. They don't have a gun, and they cannot keep ANY of your money since there is no 'harm' to them. This would be an easy win in Small Claims...but...

...as others have said, you might be better off to get what you can out of them (ammo, supplies, etc) and then sell what you don't need to raise the money to spend at the newer store in town.
Old 05-22-2013, 2:32 PM

have your lawyer send them a demand letter
if you don't have a lawyer, marry a girl who's dad is a lawyer
c'mon this isn't rocket science
Old 05-22-2013, 2:33 PM

Personally I'd just walk in and take a ***** on their showroom floor. And wipe with the receipt. Then quietly leave. That story would be worth the few hundred you blew on that gun.
Old 05-22-2013, 2:34 PM

Doesn't really sound like a customer service friendly shop either way. Are you in Norcal or SoCal ?

"Saying we don't need guns because we have cops is like saying we don't need fire extinguishers because we have firefighters"

"My lemonade stand was robbed once by two thieves. I shot them both. No more robberies."

"Went to the Giants game yesterday. For opsec reasons I said I was going next week. Can never be to careful."
Old 05-22-2013, 2:37 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

File small claims lawsuit (you are almost guaranteed to win but that doesn't guarantee you'll see the money) or take anything you can get that you think you can sell quick. Pretty much your only two choices.

And name the shop, don't let anyone else here have to go through it.
Old 05-22-2013, 2:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

they have 2 options fulfill their end of the deal or refund your money you did not break the deal they did

tell them such ask to talk to the owner if the owner told you store credit only then you might want to get a bunch of cheap shotguns or something as they will not be in buisness long out the store
Old 05-22-2013, 2:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Write a professional letter to the owner.

Explain the process of what you ordered, when you paid, when it was promised to be delivered.

Ask for a full refund.

CC the California Department of Corporations

These are the fine folks that allow businesses to operate in CA and can pull that ability.

Ask for a written response and refund within 10 business days from receipt.

After that, if they will not refund your purchase , file in small claims court then send a follow up to the California department of corporations with the stores response asking for assistance.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 05-22-2013, 3:42 PM

I'm surprised that the store let you place the order without knowing whether they could actually get the firearm or not.

The store I used to work at would first check supplier inventory before taking your money. If no product was available, they would tell you to wait.

My advice for future special orders is to pay the minimum amount they allow. That way if something happens and they try to cheat you, you're not out all the money. Besides, you want your money to be doing something for you while you're waiting, and not just sitting in the LGS's bank account earning money for them.
Old 05-22-2013, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogohopper View Post

Seriously though, not a good way to honor a marriage.
This is contrary to what calguns has taught me.