Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:00 AM

Default New Correction Officer CCW

Just graduated and started work on Monday before graduation training officers stated we are allowed to carry once we get our badge and id he also mentioned about qualifying with the caliber you will be carrying. He just breezed through this topic and didnt speak on it much, and nobody has brought it up while in class at the prison i work at now. Can anyone shed light as to what steps i need to take to be able to carry thanks, I dont want to be the gun hoe guy in class first week of school asking such question yet. Im retired Marine also

Last edited by harleydee; 02-17-2016 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: ifno left out
Old 02-17-2016, 12:25 PM

You only need to qualify with it before you carry it. Your ID stating you are a correctional peace officer and the identifying penal code section is your license to carry.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Talk to your IST SGT, they will have a sign up for off duty weapon qualification. They will explain it to you, you will also need to go to accounting and pay the fee(around $9). This is usually done with on duty quaterly qualifaction range, but you must do it on your time. State's not gonna pay you to do it, although if there is some free time it's not unheard of, Just don't expect it, that kind of love is usually saved for the OG's and higher ranking staff.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydee View Post
Just graduated and started work on Monday before graduation training officers stated we are allowed to carry once we get our badge and id he also mentioned about qualifying with the caliber you will be carrying. He just breezed through this topic and didnt speak on it much, and nobody has brought it up while in class at the prison i work at now. Can anyone shed light as to what steps i need to take to be able to carry thanks, I dont want to be the gun hoe guy in class first week of school asking such question yet. Im retired Marine also
Really, don't you mean Gung Ho, or are you a GUN HOE?

Now back to the task at hand, in your position I would wait until your done with orientation training and at least out of whatever type of FTO training is done. After that you need to qual with the agency (or whoever they have doing quals), and have a CCW endorsement on your ID. I don't think that CCW is a just do it, for your job classification, but I've been wrong before.
Old 02-17-2016, 1:37 PM

The ID is your ccw 'permit' for all 50 states.
You qualify with the gun you are carrying because thats your agency guidelines.
Old 02-17-2016, 1:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefnra View Post
Not without a LEOSA endorsement it isn't.
Old 02-17-2016, 8:48 PM

No, you don't need a ccw endorsement on your ID. Rooster had it right. Just to be clear I'm not a state CO but I am defined under the same PC.
Old 02-17-2016, 9:03 PM

Identification as a peace officer on the ID is all that is required. See Penal Code section 830.5.

The agency has a qualification course you must pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2016, 11:50 PM

Are in the greater Sacramento area? If you are, call The Gun Room. It's very easy with them. You provide your ID, bring whatever weapon(s) want to qualify with along with the ammo for them. You run the same course of fire you did at the academy. You will requalify every three months, so it can get expensive with multiple guns.

I think getting a LTC is a good idea if you have multiple Guns you're going to use.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:05 PM

Default ccw for CDC

thanks everyone i went to magnum and qualified there i had to get the card from the department and just carry it with me and get it signed off every 3 months. magnum charges $19.00 for 1 gun and $25.00 for 2 handguns, i need to find were it is for $9.00 lol this is going to be expensive.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:32 PM

Worth every penny.
Old 02-23-2016, 7:20 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.

Last edited by lewdogg21; 03-03-2016 at 10:54 AM..
Old 02-23-2016, 9:05 PM

Stromvet is right.
Just ask another c/o with time. They will answer your question. Ask as many questions as you can.
Old 02-24-2016, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydee View Post
thanks everyone i went to magnum and qualified there i had to get the card from the department and just carry it with me and get it signed off every 3 months. magnum charges $19.00 for 1 gun and $25.00 for 2 handguns, i need to find were it is for $9.00 lol this is going to be expensive.
Talk to Accounting at your institution, you pay the $9 there and usually get a receipt. After that check with the Range Staff when they could/would run you through a qualification. Usually they do it during the quarterly range, and do the off duty carries after getting everyone who needs to qualify for their post done first.

Example- I went at 1100 when they were just starting the job qualifications, they told me when they were done they would run me through before the next scheduled course. Waited maybe an hour for them to finish, then I went with my off duty. They signed my card and I was good to go.
Old 03-01-2016, 8:19 PM
Veteran Member

lewdogg21- PM away.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:24 AM

Default Correctional Officer Off duty carry of concealed firearm

There have been some changes in the last few years to CDCR's DOM. If you are a CDCR Peace Officer and carry a non-departmentally provided firearm off duty, you must comply which includes the CDC form 1798. PM me your email if you need the form. Don't be found to have complied during the PD or Sheriff criminal investigation only to lose your job due to DFIT.

Last edited by 3453; 04-05-2016 at 12:29 PM..
Old 03-04-2016, 4:43 PM

^ what 3453 said. Just make sure you have you ID and you quarterly qual card on you when you carry. Legally there are practically no ramifications for carrying without being up to date on your quarterly qual but administratively they'll burn you. I'm thinking 10% for 24 months.
Old 03-05-2016, 7:33 PM

Default CCW in all 50 States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefnra View Post
No way is your ID or CCW is good in all 50 States, even active LEO's need an HR-218, That's the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004.. Thanks to Geroge Bush, President. It's for Retred and Active LEOs you do have to qualify each year. You need to qualify with the type of gun to will carry i.e.: Revolver or Pisrol. The caliber doesn't matter. A side note "not all States, Counties or Cities will honor your CCW or HR-218. Be smart and good luck
Old 03-05-2016, 9:54 PM

dicker3957lasd,

Please cite the requirement in LEOSA for an active officer to have any ID other than regular department ID which identifies the employee as a law enforcement officer? Can you show an example of the card you speak of?

A state, county or city doesn't have the ability to opt-out of recognizing LEOSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
Talk to your IST SGT, they will have a sign up for off duty weapon qualification. They will explain it to you, you will also need to go to accounting and pay the fee(around $9). This is usually done with on duty quaterly qualifaction range, but you must do it on your time. State's not gonna pay you to do it, although if there is some free time it's not unheard of, Just don't expect it, that kind of love is usually saved for the OG's and higher ranking staff.
actually any firing range qualified safety personnel at any range can sign off on your off duty quarterly qualification card...... and yes no endorsement needed to carry thru other states.... I have LEO buddies in Texas and NM pretty much said have your badge and ID with a up to date quarterly qualification card on person at all times.... and don't for get ID yourself as a PO when in contact with any LEO....
Old 04-02-2016, 10:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrek619 View Post
actually any firing range qualified safety personnel at any range can sign off on your off duty quarterly qualification card...... and yes no endorsement needed to carry thru other states.... I have LEO buddies in Texas and NM pretty much said have your badge and ID with a up to date quarterly qualification card on person at all times.... and don't for get ID yourself as a PO when in contact with any LEO....
While true any state certified rang master can sign you off on your qual card. I always recommend, especially new staff to qualify at their institution with their range staff. For a few reasons, you should get to know your range staff if you carry. They will often help you with training and give you good advice. If you ever have to use your off duty, the local LE will be calling your institution and speaking to your range staff. You want them to say, yes he qualifies with us quarterly I have all his qualifications in his training file I know him he's a good cop, not no he's never qualified off duty with us. And it's only $9.00, a lot cheaper then outside ranges, most range master's will let you qual with multiple guns also.
Old 04-06-2016, 1:58 AM

HR-218....PERIOD
Old 04-22-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostersgt View Post
You only need to qualify with it before you carry it. Your ID stating you are a correctional peace officer and the identifying penal code section is your license to carry.