Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-13-2018, 6:36 PM

Default Recoil Pad options. AR build in 7.62x39 with A2 stock.

I know...I know....lots of you all may think I don't need one but after 300 rounds last weekend...I'm sore! I have an A2 stock with the crosshatched trapdoor butt plate....on an awesome 7.62 x 39 AR featureless build....it's alot of fun but punishing.....any suggestions would be apppreciated....P.S....I'm also 60 years old!
Old 03-13-2018, 6:56 PM

I'm not going to knock you on the age thing, everybody is different. Doesn't AR 7.62 by 39 kick more than an AK 7.62 by 39?
Old 03-13-2018, 6:57 PM

* I meant does a, not doesn't. Sorry I'm on my phone
Old 03-13-2018, 7:09 PM

Limbsaver slip ons are pretty popular. I can't imagine needing more recoil mitigation than that. Would increase the LOP, but not much can be done about that with an A2 stock.
Old 03-13-2018, 9:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Adjustable gas block maybe. You using the standard a2 buffer?
Kevin
Old 03-14-2018, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
Adjustable gas block maybe. You using the standard a2 buffer?
Kevin
This,^^

I bet your upper is over gassed, over exaggerating the recoil. Slow down the carrier with an adjustable gas block or heavy buffer/butter spring. I've build many ars in 762x39 and they are all *****cats. No disrespect, but are you shouldering the stock nice and snug? The recoil should not be that bad unless it's ontop of your collar bone or not snug into your shoulder.
Ephesians 6:10
Old 03-14-2018, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMBrowning View Post
This,^^

I bet your upper is over gassed, over exaggerating the recoil. Slow down the carrier with an adjustable gas block or heavy buffer/butter spring. I've build many ars in 762x39 and they are all *****cats. No disrespect, but are you shouldering the stock nice and snug? The recoil should not be that bad unless it's ontop of your collar bone or not snug into your shoulder.
I do have an XP (extra power) Wolf recoil spring in it. Definitely keeping it tight into the shoulder. I don't think it's over gassed as shell casings drop 2-3 feet from where I'm standing.

I will check into the limbsaver slip ons. Thanks for the input all.
Old 03-14-2018, 8:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm 65 and had the same issues, I was sore!

I rebuilt it to lessen the recoil and blast. I used a good 3 slot muzzle brake, loud but effective. I installed an adjustable gas block and tuned it. I use tungsten powder filled buffers, 4 oz. The stock is a fixed Magpul carbine with the extended rubber PRS buttpad installed. That was pinned back 1.4" to make it the same length as an extended adjustable. It has the extended firing pin plus the heavy hammer spring. The trigger spring is a 3.5 lb JP yellow spring, easy to pull on the 2 stage RRA trigger.

Now it is a soft shooter and accurate as heck. I used the excellent ARD cryo-melonited Hbar barrel and I get 2 moa from cheap Golden Tiger ammo. Hornady match does 1 moa, not bad for a commie scatter gun.

Did I mention it's fun as heck to shoot?
Old 03-14-2018, 8:38 AM

300 rnds is a good amount of shots. What position(s) were you shooting from? Standing allows your body to rock back where bench or prone not so much. I have a couple different shooting coats and mil surp shooting shirts depending on how many rnds and position. The elbow pads help when shooting prone. I have one A2 stock with a 3 lb lead weight inside the trap door that reduces recoil too.
Old 03-14-2018, 9:45 AM

i had a bad experience with one of the small slip on pads (might have been limbsaver...can't recall the brand). I was so frustrated i ended up tossing it.

It kept falling off during a class that required frequent position changes.

Maybe one of the extended sock types might stay on better...not sure.

A good compensator might be a better option or a recoil pad that is more securely fixed to the stock. I wouldn't again trust a little slip on pad for an active platform....unless you are only going to shoot from a bench, then maybe it would suffice.

If i still had mine i'd probably fix it to the stock with a permanent adhesive.

Last edited by mtenenhaus; 03-14-2018 at 9:47 AM..
Old 03-14-2018, 11:19 AM

If you don't mind wearing a recoil pad....

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/36...d-ambidextrous

They spread the load over a much bigger area than a slip-on buttpad can. These actually work really well and probably won't change your LOP by much.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The simplest starting point would to get a compensator. That way you aren’t messing with the gas system yet. You have a rifle that works reliably. Adjusting the gas system and buffer weight takes some guess and check to get it right.
Kevin