Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 03-10-2018, 7:13 PM

Default The Power of the Colt as an investment.

I absolutely love Colt SAA's -

I remember when the gold standard of collecting was a fine quality SAA, it was the blue-chip investment of firearms, you could do no wrong with it.

But, there has been talk on a lot of the collector forums of the prices of Colt's waning, plateauing if you might, stagnating.

The reason being that; collectors, who were fascinated, and watched Westerns or Saturday morning serials, 1950's Tv shows, Roy Rogers, the Lone Ranger, Hopalong Cassidy, have now passed away like the Duke himself, and even the resurrected interest caused by Sergio Leone, also now dead thirty years, has waned to dusty nostalgia, leaving a generation of new collectors for whom the Western is of little or no interest.

However, we do see that WW2 with it's recent video games, big budget feature films and TV forms the genesis of a new generation of collectors interests.

I don't know if this is the case.

What are the thoughts here - ?

Last edited by pitfighter; 03-10-2018 at 7:16 PM..
Old 03-10-2018, 9:31 PM

If youre looking to invest your money look at stocks, bonds or land.
Old 03-10-2018, 9:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What did a colt python cost new in 1980?
What are they worth today?

In the almost 40 years,what is the annual rate of return?

At the rule of 72- if you earn 7.2%, things double every 10 years

So a $500 python
1,000 in 1990
$2,000 in 2000
$4,000 in 2010
$8,000 in 2020

What would apartments or an SPY fund return?

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

- If the Democrats thought for one seconds that Illegals were voting republican, You'd see the Border Wall from Space! - Abe Lincoln
Old 03-10-2018, 10:13 PM

Back in '79-'80 I worked in the LGS. One day a gent came in, looked at a Colt SAA and said," Wow. Back at the turn of the century you could buy a Colt SAA for a $20 gold piece." I told him, " You can STILL buy a Colt SAA for a $20 gold piece." Not so now, 40 years later.
Jon
Old 03-11-2018, 4:56 AM
Veteran Member

Guns are not so much an investment as a hobby that you can get your money back out of when you decide to sell.

As for Colt single actions, I have noticed the trend of decreasing popularity as well. Another group of firearms that is decreasing in value is early Winchesters. As a kid (I am 66) I grew up on westerns and I always had a desire to own cowboy guns. By the time I was legal to buy them, I had acquired a strong interest in US military guns and wasn't looking for cowboy stuff.

The old boys that collected western guns are dying off and their collections are hitting the market with an ever shrinking buyers pool that is willing to pay the formerly high prices that they commanded 20 years ago. The market, therefore, has trended downward and will continue to do so until it stabilizes.

I'm still looking for a decent Winchester '73 in .44 WCF to go with my Colt, but I am just not going to pay a stupid high collector price for one.
Old 03-11-2018, 5:19 AM
Calguns Addict

I like my Colt handguns but NEVER bought them for investment
purposes but I’ve never lost money trying to resell them,either. Even if
I don’t shoot them I like looking at them plus there is something very
American about them —-which makes them desirable. After owning
Colt’s for fifty years I bought my FIRST ever SAA,it’s NIB unfired,
and unturned. I don’t plan to shoot it,either. If I wanted to shoot a SA
I’d borrow a friends clunker Ruger for that job.

The election of Donald Trump has caused California
to go “FULL STUPID “

Last edited by GM4spd; 03-12-2018 at 4:12 AM..
Old 03-11-2018, 5:47 AM
Veteran Member

Colts do hold thier value. They are a functional hobbie Def better then stamps.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 03-11-2018, 8:29 AM
Calguns Addict

It's all about the "Snake" guns now... SAA'a are two generations old.

Here is a great NRA article discussing this exact topic!!

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-s-snake-guns/

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyXbones View Post
If youre looking to invest your money look at stocks, bonds or land.
And pay capital gains on all three, with none of those being insurable (buildings/structures are, but land is pointless to insure to value).

Not saying you shouldn't, but I know of those well-versed in collecting, me for one, whose valuation increase has outperformed all three including others' 401K portfolios (and that's with the matching contribution by the employer).

One would be remiss to not include a fine-arts or gun collection in their investment portfolio.

Couple of well-written articles on this topic, even if several years to 30 years old:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...old-2009-11-05

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/05/16/a...a-firearm.html

Last edited by CALI-gula; 03-11-2018 at 11:08 AM..
Old 03-11-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitfighter View Post
I absolutely love Colt SAA's -

I remember when the gold standard of collecting was a fine quality SAA, it was the blue-chip investment of firearms, you could do no wrong with it.

But, there has been talk on a lot of the collector forums of the prices of Colt's waning, plateauing if you might, stagnating.

The reason being that; collectors, who were fascinated, and watched Westerns or Saturday morning serials, 1950's Tv shows, Roy Rogers, the Lone Ranger, Hopalong Cassidy, have now passed away like the Duke himself, and even the resurrected interest caused by Sergio Leone, also now dead thirty years, has waned to dusty nostalgia, leaving a generation of new collectors for whom the Western is of little or no interest.

What are the thoughts here - ?
I look at what you wrote as also applying to the 1967-1969 Marvel comics I bought as a kid and still have. With time they will probably lose value since those who feel nostalgia for stuff from that era will die off. The Colt SAA is my favorite gun and I always say they'll be out of my reach, but still manage to score one.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

This one would have been a good investment, 4+ hrs left and already at $61K!
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/750644382
Old 03-11-2018, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
I look at what you wrote as also applying to the 1967-1969 Marvel comics I bought as a kid and still have. With time they will probably lose value since those who feel nostalgia for stuff from that era will die off. The Colt SAA is my favorite gun and I always say they'll be out of my reach, but still manage to score one.
Ebay/internet killed the "value" of comic books and many other collectibles, because the true availability was realized when everyone who had ever saved them pulled them out of their attic, basement, den, closet, whatever, and posted them up for sale.

It was then realized that of any particular issue, tens-of-thousands if not hundreds-of-thousands were likely published whereas previously the known number published was not well documented. In the same way, it helped truly legitimize what was actually rare; even then, more arose in availability than would have ever been imagined.

Previously, stores and trade-shows had a strangle-hold on availability of comics wherein relativity won; it made any certain issue seem more rare that it really was, because to the shopper that was the only resource. It gave a false impression to the collector on rarity.

Did this happen to guns? To some degree, yes, but their values have held. Mostly. Each generation cultivates its own interest from fad, nostalgia, media, and trend. I still think the pump-up interest in Pythons was significantly influenced by one character in a particular soap-opera-with-zombies, no different than the T.V. Westerns of the 1960's and 1970's generated interest in SAAs for that generation.

One need to look no further than the Springfield 1873 to 1888 long-guns at their regularly selling values now versus 25 years ago. Back then, you could barely touch a fine example for less than $3,500; but now? You can pick up one like that $3,500 example at $1,500 or less. These simply do not appeal to today's modern collector who is chasing Colt Pythons, S&W Model 27-2s/29-2s, 70-series Colt 1911s, 1960's Walthers, or whose buying choices and wallet are being influenced by bans or "the Roster".

Yet prime examples of collectible guns will continue to hold their values as depletion of availability arises due to many reasons not applicable to other collectibles. Just as many as the true collectible Springfield 1873 to 1888s that were rare 25 years ago, selling at $3,500 have not lost their value, and may even sell for more.

Such as, to the degree that guns are vilified or being depleted without regard to history or value, it's incredibly rare that anyone is banning comic books (well, other than North Korea); cities don't confiscate them and burn them (regularly, though it happened in the past even in America), passing legisaltion to limit sales, nobody is holding comic-book buy-backs, preventing importation, world-wide, ripping them up as a feel-good political stun, or blocking sales of comic books on the internet, or seeing them lost in political strife globally, which deplete availability.

Same thing happened to classic or even used car parts, to the point that many of the Pick-Your-Part yards are closing down. It helped kill car-part swap meets and gun-shows alike.

I sure as hell don't want to pay to traipse through a hot/dusty/muddy junk-yard all day full of inapplicable makes hoping to get lucky to find nothing of value and overpriced wares, no different than I want to wade through a sea of beef-jerky and Beanie-Babies to find to find nothing of value and overpriced guns and cheap gun accessories.

Decades ago, I had to scour Hemmings Motor News or junk yards for a rare hood ornament, paying extreme pricing for one with pitted chrome or a broken mount if found at all.

Today? I merely type in a Boolean search on some website and 23 various examples pop up, from NOS, to restored, to reproduction, to that old pitted example, in varying prices that the best example is 1/2 of what I would have paid 30 years ago.

Long are gone the days of having to scour through Shotgun-News for parts. last time I bought a Shotgun-News was circa 1998. It was was the only place at that time I could find the information necessary to order a new Mateba Unica 6; and did.

Last edited by CALI-gula; 03-11-2018 at 12:27 PM..
Old 03-11-2018, 12:41 PM

I would NEVER invest in the Stock Market or anything else where others controlled my money. I like complete control of my Investments.

That said I know alot of Dealers from Local Shows and some I have dealt with on the internet. Many of them say the pre 1898 antique stuff is dropping.
Old 03-11-2018, 1:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
Back in '79-'80 I worked in the LGS. One day a gent came in, looked at a Colt SAA and said," Wow. Back at the turn of the century you could buy a Colt SAA for a $20 gold piece." I told him, " You can STILL buy a Colt SAA for a $20 gold piece." Not so now, 40 years later.
Jon
I bet you could if the $20 gold piece was minted in 1900.
Old 03-11-2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAP55 View Post
This one would have been a good investment, 4+ hrs left and already at $61K!
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/750644382
I've seen higher for a Singer, I believe by a zero, ok not quite a zero, but over 400K. Rock Island Auction a few months back

Let's go get Angel.....
Why not?
Old 03-11-2018, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Did you see my GB auction that ended, last night?

WW2 is good business right now.

The Colts I am talking about losing their shine are the SAA's that were the gold standard when I got into collecting twenty or thirty years ago.
I missed that, got a link?
I've noticed some models of Winchesters have peaked out, and now I see the SAA's doing the same. Special ordered and/or NIB stuff is what collectors seem to be after now.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:56 PM

The classic American Colt SAA- has a feel and a vibe that on other hand gun can match IMO.

Deadly, archaic, powerful and accurate.

You get 5 shots to take care of a problem- in most cases that would be enough.

I am backwards enough that if I lived in a free state- I would probably carry one- at least once in a while.

The Colt company is a puzzle to me.

They can and do sell every Colt SAA Army that they produce for over top dollar- before they leave the Colt factory.

Yet- they won't tool up, train and hire more staff to bring up production numbers. In fact they have laid off staff involved in SAA production- according to reports. I guess they don't need money.

A certain type of American dinosaur will always want to have a Colt SAA (and a Winchester) he can shoot and enjoy.

But those days are fading fast- plastic pistols and modern military style long guns are now the popular weapons for younger folks- so the prices of the retro classics may come down.

I would not bet on it though.

Last edited by Ugly Hombre; 03-12-2018 at 12:10 AM..
Old 03-12-2018, 9:41 AM
Calguns Addict

The way the US is headed, and states like Kalifornia in particular, both levers and single actions will soon see another boom in popularity. Because that's all we'll be able to own - at least until they get banned too.

Modern Lever actions are selling like hotcakes right now. Most places can't keep them in stock, because buyers see the writing on the wall. The days of the semi-auto are numbered. When Kamala is president and Gavin is governor, we'll be lucky if they allow us to own levers and single actions. Hell, we'll be lucky to own any guns at all.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 03-12-2018, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/753293850

I was sniffing around for some 5 figure SAA's to slip into the collection when no one was watching, perhaps an original Dragoon, lol.

A nice Confederate Dragoon like this would be fun own, and shouldn't disappoint when it comes time to sell - http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/co...ragoon-c11585/
The bidder was aptly named.
If that Dragoon is where your collecting is going, I have a Colt that served on the other side that might interest you.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Holy smokes! What a beauty!

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Got me thinking about an interesting gentleman Bert introduced me to at the Reno Show a few years back. Ives Devos from Belgium, probably the worlds leading authority on percussion Colts.
Western guns and memorabilia are hot items in Europe. He comes here a couple times a year with his customer's lists to the big gun shows, buys, and then transports to a Houston, TX exporter. Not uncommon for him to drop $250K at a show. It started with his own collecting, and turned into a business when everyone was trying to buy his personal guns. To say the least, he does very well doing it.
I think a Euro is worth about $1.25 today?, take a look at his website and see what some of his Colts are selling for.
http://wildwesttreasures.org/en/cata...ion-and-bisley
Old 03-12-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI-gula View Post
And pay capital gains on all three, with none of those being insurable (buildings/structures are, but land is pointless to insure to value).

Not saying you shouldn't, but I know of those well-versed in collecting, me for one, whose valuation increase has outperformed all three including others' 401K portfolios (and that's with the matching contribution by the employer).

One would be remiss to not include a fine-arts or gun collection in their investment portfolio.

Couple of well-written articles on this topic, even if several years to 30 years old:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...old-2009-11-05

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/05/16/a...a-firearm.html

The best investment you could have made was a pre 86 full auto m16 receiver. Roughly $100 back then, $20k now.

Along the same lines, buying a modest house in SoCal was ~$30k in the early 90's, and worth $500-600k today if not more.
Old 03-12-2018, 8:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyXbones View Post
The best investment you could have made was a pre 86 full auto m16 receiver. Roughly $100 back then, $20k now.

Along the same lines, buying a modest house in SoCal was ~$30k in the early 90's, and worth $500-600k today if not more.
You assume I haven't. Not sure why.

Have properties, will travel; and no, such a modest house as you describe was going for about $95,000 in the early 1990s, that is worth $500 to $600K now. Wanna guess why I know?

Have guns that had bigger returns in a shorter time span. Colt 3" Combat Python NIB I sold here on Calguns not too long ago being just one of them.

Old 03-12-2018, 8:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
The way the US is headed, and states like Kalifornia in particular, both levers and single actions will soon see another boom in popularity. Because that's all we'll be able to own - at least until they get banned too.

Modern Lever actions are selling like hotcakes right now. Most places can't keep them in stock, because buyers see the writing on the wall. The days of the semi-auto are numbered. When Kamala is president and Gavin is governor, we'll be lucky if they allow us to own levers and single actions. Hell, we'll be lucky to own any guns at all.
Somewhere 'round these parts, at least a couple years' old, I have a post stating the same. The only caveat, is that Lever-action guns have been around for so long, in so many calibers, still made and often in those same calibers, and often the same model being made in some variation of it for the past 120+ years.

With so many available in the used market, the common models will be stable; only the rare and/or larger caliber guns will see a spike, and even then I'm not so sure it won't be the steady rise they would have had anyway, but you can bet if someone can't get their hands on an AR/AK, a lever-action is going to be the next best choice. However, it's just as likely he'll buy new rather than a collectible.

Yet for that same reason, expect fixed-mag SKSes to increase in value.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:37 AM

CALI-gula, another thing the internet changed (you might have mentioned this) was low gun prices geographically. In the past gun and pawn shop prices could be real low in financially depressed locations. now those stores just sell on line at current market values all over. And you metione dropping prices in Springfields. My 1884 (very common) trapdoor Springfield rifle I inherited from my dad would sell for a few hundred bucks less than current Cimarron retail for a repro.

Last edited by Wyatt Burp; 03-13-2018 at 5:44 PM..
Old 03-13-2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI-gula View Post
... but you can bet if someone can't get their hands on an AR/AK, a lever-action is going to be the next best choice. However, it's just as likely he'll buy new rather than a collectible...

When the English passed their laws - they did the same, 24 inch barreled hi-power revolvers and single-action (non-cycling) pump action AK's.
Very ugly, but a product of their environment.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I am terrible at investing in arms - Thus just collect what I dig - I don't think a whole lot of folks would fork over what I paid for some of my stuff -
Old 04-12-2018, 3:45 PM
CGN Contributor

I am not savvy enough to nuance every Colt out there for investment.

However just buying nice ones with a bit of knowledge. I have never lost money on a Colt.

Here I am.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:39 PM

Just FYI, a link to the RIA auction going off in a few hours:

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=141018

As Will Rogers once said:
"Everyone is ignorant, only in different subjects."
Old 04-12-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THBailey View Post
Just FYI, a link to the RIA auction going off in a few hours:

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=141018
The image they use of the Walker is nice.

I was reading that Colt kept the cylinder in the white on the first batch of Walkers, as he wasn't sure if the blueing process weakened the metal enough to be at risk of failure.
That or the 60grains of powder I guess -

Old 04-13-2018, 4:54 AM

They also are offering a number of Colt SSA's from item #243 thru #350 or so. It will be interesting to see what they sell for. And they also tack on anocther 21% for the bidders premium.

As Will Rogers once said:
"Everyone is ignorant, only in different subjects."