Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 02-24-2018, 6:47 PM

Default Accuracy of a ruger mk77

Was wondering if anyone has had or has a ruger mk77 with a mannlicher stock. What kind of accuracy are you getting out of it? Are they worth the 1000 bucks people are asking for them?

Last edited by Alabaster89; 02-24-2018 at 7:41 PM..
Old 02-24-2018, 6:52 PM

Welcome to Calguns, you should post this in the want to buy section.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=106
Old 02-24-2018, 7:09 PM
Calguns Addict

He is new so he is special and feels does not need to follow the rules
Old 02-26-2018, 7:24 PM

I have two of them. The one in 22-250 will shoot 55grn boat tails doing 1" groups all day. The other in 308 shoot's 1 1/2" groups pretty regular with most anything I put in it. Both have Timney triggers that helped quite a bit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-84 - Version 2.jpg (56.9 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Ahansom; 02-26-2018 at 7:27 PM..
Old 03-02-2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
He is new so he is special and feels does not need to follow the rules
Have someone read the OP's post for you, he want to know about the rifle not where to buy one.
Old 03-02-2018, 3:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ah Divern is old like me give us a break.
Old 03-02-2018, 5:33 PM
Calguns Addict

I believe the original post was edited after my post. IF not then I was wrong and yes I am old.
Old 03-02-2018, 5:39 PM

I did have a m77 in 7mm R.E.M. Mag not a mannlicher though.
Accuracy was excellent, I don't know how the stock would affect the accuracy.

NRA Member
Old 03-02-2018, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabaster89 View Post
Was wondering if anyone has had or has a ruger mk77 with a mannlicher stock. What kind of accuracy are you getting out of it? Are they worth the 1000 bucks people are asking for them?
They seem to be going anywhere between $800.00 to $1150.00, depending on caliber and whatnot. I have one, actually son has it now, in .308. Pretty accurate[1.5'']@100 yards. Handy, light and comfortable to shoot. Damn good rifle when you can find them. I think you'd like it.
Old 03-02-2018, 7:23 PM

I have a Mannlicher stocked Model 77 in .30-06. Honestly, I havenít done much shooting with it beyond some testing with cast bullet loads, but when I did shoot it, there didnít seem to be any problems with accuracy or groups shifting around.

Thereís one thing I can tell you for sure, though, itís one of the most beautiful rifles I own. Itís such a classic compact design that Iíd buy another in a heartbeat. I bought mine about a year ago from a Turnerís consignment sale. It was in very gently used condition and I think I paid around $550 (before tax and DROS).

I see these come up for sale every once in a while on Calguns and, strangely, they languish for weeks. I donít understand it.
Old 03-13-2018, 2:43 PM

Thanks y’all for the comments. I ordered one from MA should get here tomorrow. I hope it shoots well and if it doesn’t I’ve done some reading about taking the stock off and filing down where the wood meets the barrel. I’m a little hesitant to take the barrel cap off, reason being it might be a real pain. Btw I got a 308 with the tang safety. I probably over paid for it but that’s how it goes, ended up with 650 in it.
Old 03-13-2018, 3:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Even if it doesn't shoot, they are nice to look at.
Old 03-13-2018, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabaster89 View Post
Thanks y’all for the comments. I ordered one from MA should get here tomorrow. I hope it shoots well and if it doesn’t I’ve done some reading about taking the stock off and filing down where the wood meets the barrel. I’m a little hesitant to take the barrel cap off, reason being it might be a real pain. Btw I got a 308 with the tang safety. I probably over paid for it but that’s how it goes, ended up with 650 in it.
Congratulations, I really enjoy both of mine (308/22-250). Both tang safety with red pad,I just put a decelerator pad on the 308. Removing the barrel cap is really easy. Unscrew a small wood screw on the bottom of the cap and it will wiggle and slide off the muzzle. Use a gunsmith screwdriver because a regular slotted screwdriver will push up a burr. I never felt the need to free float the barrel since the end cap kind of rests on the barrel anyway. Also look up the torque spec's and action bolt tightening sequence for better accuracy. A Timney trigger was the best thing I did to mine. If your able to take the stock off and on the trigger replacement is also easy to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7149.jpg (82.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7147.jpg (100.0 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Ahansom; 03-13-2018 at 4:38 PM..
Old 03-13-2018, 6:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob View Post
I have a Mannlicher stocked Model 77 in .30-06. Honestly, I havenít done much shooting with it beyond some testing with cast bullet loads, but when I did shoot it, there didnít seem to be any problems with accuracy or groups shifting around.

Thereís one thing I can tell you for sure, though, itís one of the most beautiful rifles I own. Itís such a classic compact design that Iíd buy another in a heartbeat. I bought mine about a year ago from a Turnerís consignment sale. It was in very gently used condition and I think I paid around $550 (before tax and DROS).

I see these come up for sale every once in a while on Calguns and, strangely, they languish for weeks. I donít understand it.
I tried to get that carbine and missed it by a day!

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 03-19-2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfreadiescat View Post
Have someone read the OP's post for you, he want to know about the rifle not where to buy one.

The M77 is great rifle. I have the M77 MK-II Version in 7mm mag. To bad they don't make bolt action like how they used to now
Old 03-19-2018, 6:44 PM

Default Ruger M77

Mannlicher is one of the best looking rifles around. Cant post as to accuracy, but I'd be willing to bet Ruger knows / knew what they were doing when they conceived them. Ruger makes good firearms and are always a good choice.
Old 03-21-2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahansom View Post
Congratulations, I really enjoy both of mine (308/22-250). Both tang safety with red pad,I just put a decelerator pad on the 308. Removing the barrel cap is really easy. Unscrew a small wood screw on the bottom of the cap and it will wiggle and slide off the muzzle. Use a gunsmith screwdriver because a regular slotted screwdriver will push up a burr. I never felt the need to free float the barrel since the end cap kind of rests on the barrel anyway. Also look up the torque spec's and action bolt tightening sequence for better accuracy. A Timney trigger was the best thing I did to mine. If your able to take the stock off and on the trigger replacement is also easy to do.
What do y’all know about the front action screw? I’ve read in a few places that it has to be torqued especially if you are having accuracy problems. Also is the bolt for y’all m77 super easy to move? I’ve never owned a bolt action I grew up on single shots and lever actions so my experience with bolt actions is minimal. Sorry for all the questions fellas!
Old 03-21-2018, 9:28 PM

I torque my action bolts front first to 50inch pounds then rear 35inch pounds and the middle screw just a 1/4 turn after the screw makes contact with the stock. Some people recommend going tighter on the front screw but i'm kind of afraid. My bolts slide very very easy in the gun. if not check for things like the rear scope ring screws being to long.
Old 03-22-2018, 5:15 AM
Calguns Addict

The Mannlicher stock can sometimes hurt accuracy because of the end cap restraining the barrels natural vibration pattern.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 03-22-2018, 5:25 AM
Veteran Member

M77 is a great gun... Had one in 7mm very accurate.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 03-22-2018, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
The Mannlicher stock can sometimes hurt accuracy because of the end cap restraining the barrels natural vibration pattern.
True but theses were never meant to be bench rest guns. Mine have displayed excellent hunting accuracy with factory ammo and better with some handloads. With Ruger's the end cap is attached to the wood and not the barrel. The opening the barrel slides through can be opened up if desired.