Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:53 PM

Default Importing a FAL receiver

I'm looking to buy a stripped IMBEL FAL receiver, and my understanding is that it has to have a "bullet button" or mag lock device installed before it can be shipped to California. Is this correct, or does the mag lock just have to be installed during the build of the rifle itself?
Old 12-08-2012, 1:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

To be stripped means no parts on it. Are you building yourself or having someone do it?
Old 12-08-2012, 1:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The FAL receiver itself has no evil features, so it doesn't require a maglock. You are importing a STRIPPED receiver, right? As in no parts are attached to it?

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 12-08-2012, 2:25 PM

Yes, completely stripped. But I thought it had to have some sort of mag lock installed because the state considers it (the receiver) to be a firearm?
Old 12-08-2012, 3:00 PM

FAL receivers when stripped have no evil features and do not require a mag lock. There is no pistol grip, folding or collapsible stock, no forward grip, nor is there a flash hider.

AR-15 receivers are imported by the hundreds of thousands stripped.
Old 12-09-2012, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist18 View Post
I'm looking to buy a stripped IMBEL FAL receiver, and my understanding is that it has to have a "bullet button" or mag lock device installed before it can be shipped to California. Is this correct, or does the mag lock just have to be installed during the build of the rifle itself?
Twist18,

If you looking into IMBEL FAL receivers look into Entreprise outta Rosemead California. Last I saw they were importing and assembling kits and they're now producing their own FAL meteric and inch pattern versions.

Just passing along some good info for you

Mail Clerk
Old 12-09-2012, 6:16 AM

Enterprise does good FAL builds and has parts also. They are in Irwindale off Arrow hwy west of Irwindale av.
Old 12-09-2012, 9:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mail Clerk View Post
Twist18,

If you looking into IMBEL FAL receivers look into Entreprise outta Rosemead California. Last I saw they were importing and assembling kits and they're now producing their own FAL meteric and inch pattern versions.

Mail Clerk
2 things...

There is zero comparison between an IMBEL and an Entreprise receiver.

Spend some time on the FAL Files and get a feel for the general reputation of both suppliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavey29 View Post
Enterprise does good FAL builds and has parts also. They are in Irwindale off Arrow hwy west of Irwindale av.
See above. They may build some good rifles, but if you get a dud fixing it may take some yelling and screaming. Check out their "participation" here in the Vendor Forums area.

hth

-hanko

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 12-09-2012, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Twist18,

Mail Clerk
I would recommend "hand pick" the Entreprise receiver in person. Some are warped due to heat treat and will require much, much work to build on.

Beyond that, they build up nicely, with proper barrel index and time.

More info...
Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmart_ar15 View Post
I would recommend "hand pick" the Entreprise receiver in person. Some are warped due to heat treat and will require much, much work to build on.

Beyond that, they build up nicely, with proper barrel index and time.

More info...
"Beyond that"...great choice of words and very well played.

-hanko

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

Old 12-09-2012, 11:39 AM

I've done some research over on FALfiles, and also on the internets, I'll be staying far away from Enterprise, and the other lower quality FAL parts suppliers/builders. I was looking into buying a brand new DSA Congo, or a used SAR 4800, but I'm on the waiting list over at FALfiles for an NOS stripped IMBEL receiver. I think I'm going to have it built by Arizona Response Systems. From what I can tell, I'll have a better rifle than a DSA, for cheaper.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I've done some research over on FALfiles, and also on the internets, I'll be staying far away from Enterprise, and the other lower quality FAL parts suppliers/builders. I was looking into buying a brand new DSA Congo, or a used SAR 4800, but I'm on the waiting list over at FALfiles for an NOS stripped IMBEL receiver. I think I'm going to have it built by Arizona Response Systems. From what I can tell, I'll have a better rifle than a DSA, for cheaper.
I've built many. Finest I've shot have been 2 done by ARS. Definitely worth the money.

-hanko

Old 12-09-2012, 12:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Twist18,

Mail Clerk
They've been attempting to 'produce' their own metric and brit receivers for at least the last 10 years or so.

Other than Entreprise, there are a number of very good reasons why reputable FAL smiths will not use Entreprise receivers.

Sounds like OP has done his homework.

-hanko

Old 12-09-2012, 12:54 PM

I have had this one since around 1996 from Enterprise and just had it freshened up by them as well. Shoots as well as the day I got it. Not a precision rifle but battle accurate and reliable. I have not had any bad experiences with Enterprise nor have I heard of any from friends that have used them over the years. I base my opinion on my personal experience though over what I read on a forum. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions of course. If you search around enough on the net you can find something negative about everything somewhere in my opinion even the other FAL manufacturers mentioned in the thred. To each his own.

Good luck with your build and keep us updated on your progress.

Last edited by lavey29; 03-18-2016 at 9:51 AM..
Old 12-09-2012, 2:26 PM
Calguns Addict

There are Century FALs that run fine too but you'll never catch me buying one.

Enterprise has a poor reputation for two reasons, their receivers are not the greatest and there has been many accounts of poor customer service.

Even though DSA has sent me ads for human growth hormone in a shipment, they still give better service and quality product so if there is ever a choice between Entreprise and DSA, I pick DSA every time.

I have bought parts from Entreprise at their store and they did not seem pleased to go to the back to get the bin of gas plugs which they advertised for sale on their web site. I will not be going back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 12-09-2012, 3:10 PM
Banned

didn't see it mentioned, Coonan is another good manufacturer of FAL receivers. DSA is probably your best bet though, higher resale value too.
Old 12-09-2012, 4:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You won't go wrong with a DSA receiver. I bought a DSA receiver several years ago for a build and it looks like a solid receiver. I followed WECSOG's website and it was pretty helpful. Unfortunately, I had to move when I was part way into the build and haven't finished it. I didn't know NOS Imbels were still available, are they reimporting these?
Old 12-09-2012, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtt View Post
You won't go wrong with a DSA receiver. I bought a DSA receiver several years ago for a build and it looks like a solid receiver. I followed WECSOG's website and it was pretty helpful. Unfortunately, I had to move when I was part way into the build and haven't finished it. I didn't know NOS Imbels were still available, are they reimporting these?
I don't know if they're importing them, or if someone "found" a stash somewhere. It's a group buy over on FALfiles, go sign up if you're interested! The more people that sign up, the quicker I/we get them!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I don't know if they're importing them, or if someone "found" a stash somewhere. It's a group buy over on FALfiles, go sign up if you're interested! The more people that sign up, the quicker I/we get them!
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337355

What do you plan for the 922 parts?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337355

What do you plan for the 922 parts?
Arizona Response Systems takes care of the 922 parts when they do the build.
Old 12-10-2012, 8:16 AM

Not that it matters, but I did note this summary on the ARS website about Entreprise arms receivers:

Summary
The two receivers I tested are the newest offering from Entréprise Arms. I experienced the following issues during the build

Barrels timed short - I turned the barrel shoulders back slightly.
Chamber face bottomed out on inside of receiver - Common even on factory IMBELs, I shaved the face slightly
One rifle required a larger than common locking shoulder - possibly a barrel chamber issue.
Magazine catch caught on small ledge - I removed the ledge.
Dust cover pinched the top of the bolt carrier - I slightly relieved the dust-cover clearance cut.
Slightly loose lockup between upper and lower receiver - I welded up the locking body and recut it oversize.

Only the final issue was of any consequence. Even with these minor issues, I am pleased that the issues were identical on both receivers. Consistency is important. Knowing before-hand what minor adjustments may need to be made make for a smooth build. I expect Entrérprise will examine the issues I have identified. Based on these two receivers, I have no objection to accepting this latest generation of Entréprise receivers for build. With the Federal ban on importing FAL receivers, I am pleased to see there is another viable choice in the domestic FAL receiver market.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default I might cross-check...

...Gunplumber's review (done in February, 2010) with what Entreprise is currently producing. FAL Files can help you there.

Mark did point out at least one receiver required a bit of welding in his article.

For easiest assembly, based on a lot of feedback, I'd still take Imbel, DSA/Coonan in that order.

-hanko