Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-10-2007, 3:07 PM

Default Fate Hates Me

After 6 months of waiting and building up my precision 6.5 Grendel AR, I took it out to Angeles this weekend to test it out and zero the scope. On the plus side, it did NOT blow up in my face so I was pretty impressed I had assembled a functional AR-15.

After about 15 rounds I was on paper and shot a nice 3 round group that spread out over 1.5". The friend I was with, who was REALLY wanting to help me and show me that he knew what to do to help me get my rifle all prepped and ready, committed a Cardinal Sin. His over-enthusiastic attempts to be the hero caused him to REMOVE the 2 allen-key screws from the elevation turret of my IOR Scope, rather than only loosen them. He refused to let me get an word in edge-wise while I tried to explain that I had the instructions at home and would rather wait till then to set my turrets back to zero, because I was a little fuzzy on how the process should be done.

He assured me that on his Leupolds it's totally done this way! It will be fine look you do it just like this ....

45 minutes later and with one of the screws almost being lost in the dirt in front of the shooting benches I finally get him to stop screwing with my scope and let it frickin go. Sure enough when I get home I read in nice BOLD letters that under no uncertain terms are you to REMOVE the turret screws, only loosen them. The screws will not go back in, which means I can no longer adjust my reticles elevation. I actually threw up once I got home because my $900 scope may now be useless and the warrenty may be voided if what he has done falls under the "Dissasembly or Tampering" definition of the warrenty.

Lesson learned - NEVER let someone dick around with your $3000 rifle, no matter how much they know about rifles and scopes.

I am praying I can talk to someone at IOR Valdada's US Offices and see about shipping it to them so they can get the screws back into the turret for a nominal fee. Otherwise I just may stab myself in the face.

6 freaking months I waited to get this rifle range ready. The only bright side is that I still have my BUIS I can count on for now.
Old 09-10-2007, 3:13 PM

why isnt your friend paying for the damage he caused?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
She's going to get sand in her action, if she's not careful.
Old 09-10-2007, 3:14 PM

no kidding. tell your friend to give you the cash for the scope and give him the broken one. let him deal with returning it.
Old 09-10-2007, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloguy View Post
why isnt your friend paying for the damage he caused?
He doesn't even know he damaged it yet (when I left him he thought it wasn't a damage problem only a "how do you get the screws back in" problem). Add to that he isn't in a position to help pay for it at the moment and that I am having a hard time being mad about it because despite that he screwed my scope up, he meant well.
Old 09-10-2007, 3:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDace View Post
He doesn't even know he damaged it yet (when I left him he thought it wasn't a damage problem only a "how do you get the screws back in" problem). Add to that he isn't in a position to help pay for it at the moment and that I am having a hard time being mad about it because despite that he screwed my scope up, he meant well.
Old 09-10-2007, 3:35 PM

he cant pay for it right now but he has multiple leupold scopes?

i have a personal rule, i try real hard to not borrow, play with, or risk anything that belongs to a friend unless i can pay for it. for example, recently a friend insisted i take his new sport bike for a ride. i had to flat out refuse to ride it. he was like" but ive seen you ride, you ride big powerful bikes all the time, you know what your doing" and i said yes i could handle it fine, but i cant even begin to pay for it if something happened, so i wont be riding it. i really wanted to ride it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
She's going to get sand in her action, if she's not careful.
Old 09-10-2007, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloguy View Post
he cant pay for it right now but he has multiple leupold scopes?

i have a personal rule, i try real hard to not borrow, play with, or risk anything that belongs to a friend unless i can pay for it. for example, recently a friend insisted i take his new sport bike for a ride. i had to flat out refuse to ride it. he was like" but ive seen you ride, you ride big powerful bikes all the time, you know what your doing" and i said yes i could handle it fine, but i cant even begin to pay for it if something happened, so i wont be riding it. i really wanted to ride it too.
I don't disagree with you one bit. I have the same attitude when it comes to property I don't own. Once I get a chance to speak with a Customer Service representative at IOR and see if there will be any costs associated with getting the screws put back into the turret then I will know where I stand.

If it's going to cost me to get it fixed, I will certainly be looking to him to pay for the repair costs. But until I know there will be a cost (the warrenty may cover it) I'm not going to flip out yet. Even though I am REALLY annoyed about this.
Old 09-10-2007, 5:46 PM
In Memoriam

The set screws screwed out but they won't go back in the same hole?

That doesn't make sense.

But your friend is still a idiot for taking them all the way out. You don't take them all the way out so they don't get lost.
Old 09-10-2007, 5:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
............ he meant well.

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 09-10-2007, 6:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Once you get it fixed have him hold the target for you at 300 yards.
Old 09-10-2007, 6:05 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Otherwise I just may stab my friend in the face.
There, that's more reasonable.

Hope it goes well. Hopefully it's covered, if not he should definitely pay for it.

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 09-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

You will have to let us know what the people at IOR say about your "problem". Hopefully they will fix it for you at no cost and if not you friend will pony up the cash to fix it.
NFA is a long ways off as well it should be. Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...-Gene
Old 09-11-2007, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pthfndr View Post
The set screws screwed out but they won't go back in the same hole?

That doesn't make sense.

But your friend is still a idiot for taking them all the way out. You don't take them all the way out so they don't get lost.
That just the way IOR Scopes are built. The instructions state to loosen the screws with a 3/4 turn but to NOT remove them (that part is in bold letters in the instructions). I think it may be that once the screws are out the parts, which were under pressure, are now so far separated that you can't force them close enough together for the screw to catch the threads of the internals of the turret's screw hole. When I look into the hole with a flashlight I can see the threads on the turret housing and on the hole in the turret base but I can't get the screw to catch the threads.

I called IOR yesterday and no one answered so I had to leave a message. I'm going to call again today and see if I can get a resolution.

I told my friend last night exactly what happened and what the situation was. He offered to cover any costs associated with repairing the problem.

Hopefully now I can just get it resolved and finally get to enjoy shooting my new rifle.
Old 09-12-2007, 7:14 PM
Veteran Member

try to find a longer screw, screw that one in a little and pull up on it enough to get the oem screw in.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:58 PM

If he is really your friend he will make it right. One time my best friend knocked my tooth out with a wrench. After all was said and done we split the cost of getting it fixed.

He is still my best friend, I consider him to be my brother.